• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Steel Beagle

Second Lieutenant
39 Badges
Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Darkest Hour
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
I know it's very very late since there's been work going on for a year, so maybe this is really the first request thread for EUIV (and Vic2 and HOI3) etc. Paradox is probably one of the best companies for providing moddability (real moddability, no choosing from a menu) of thier games and we've seen the evidence of great mods for all their main games.

However, I think they could one step further and provide some output and input that could be used by subroutines. I'm a chemical engineer, not a software engineer so I've already probably said three things wrong about programming already (and expect I'll continue on that vein). This way modders could provide smaller programs that could provide additional capabilities. But, purists and people who aren't micromanagers like me can play the vanilla (or streamlined) game.

Here are a few examples:

Builder's mods: I like building, and buildings. Colonization was one of my favourite games for its time. Not everyone likes a lot of buildings. If there was a way in which extra production, morale, research, levels of unhappiness etc. could be input modders could design additional buildings, or even some mods where you have to add different buildings to change resources into money, or into manpower, etc. (or water into wine?) - perhaps even with parameters like population, religion, etc.

Combat mods: Output of information on forces and input read back in following some cyle (such as daily) and updating battle results if it is turned on. That would allow the development for SP of tactical battle mods similar to those in a number of (admittedly Turn Based) games. Alternatively a modder could develop at least a tactical placement model (such as the rudimentary ones in CTP2 and Hannibal) that could feed in.

Diplomacy: I'm sure that any number of interesting ideas could be developed that could change regard between countries.

Anyway, an idea.

On the surface it seems like a good idea. Not sure of the difficulty or time involved for Paradox to make a game this way but it certainly would allow a lot more modability in areas other than data.

:)