• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FalseDmitri

Recruit
65 Badges
Apr 20, 2001
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
As there are no fora for discussion of the Mac port of the game, and the porting house which handled the job of bringing this wonderful game to our wonderful platform answers no e-mail, and in the interests in maintaining general harmony, I'll be brief.

I'm interested in tracking the AGC as it's developed on the PC version and providing the Mac community with equivalent functionality. (I.e.: An installer.) I have been an avid player of the game since its release on the PC, and I'm extremely happy to be able to sell my PC, now that the port's been made and I can play my favorite game of all time at work. 8)

I have the expertise to do the requisite work, and the willingness- from whom do I need to obtain permission to do so, however?

Please feel free to respond in PMs, so as to keep the moderation community happy. I'll keep any related information offsite out of respect for Paradox policies, but I had to start somewhere.

Thank you for your time, and any information available.

It looks like you'll have to wait for Mac v. 1.02 (or is that already released?). See the post by dojoboy in http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90354, which is a quote from the thread given by
DuquedeBraganca.

The AGC is slowly petering out as effort shifts to the merged AGC/EEP project; you may want to read http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91061

jpekar has released a semi-updated version of the AGC which you would probably want to use as the version distributed (the 2.3beta is not compatible with 1.07) - this is in the User made scenarios and mods forum, and since it's basically just a zip file, it can be used on the mac as well as the PC... so the problem for the mac at the moment is that the 'Configurator' executable runs only on a PC, thus the default configuration is the only configuration on the mac. Writing a configurator would be a big job - you sure you want to do this when the project is basically dead?

Re permission, all of those who were originally driving this project (such as Mad King James, Korath, and Onslaught... and many others, I guess, I don't know since I wasn't round much at the time) have moved on. So I'd say do whatever you want - hell, I did.

One thing I would like to point out is that you can use anything that has been posted on this board without worrying about asking someone's permission, since Paradox has the copyrights to everything on the board and they allow people to use them freely in their mods. :)

Originally posted by Garbon
It still doesn't hurt to be polite. :) I mean asking for permission is kind of just like recognizing the person's efforts.

The way you be polite is by crediting the author. ;) Besides, you can't ask everyone's permission, because not every author is still around to be asked.

Originally posted by The Captain
Besides, you can't ask everyone's permission, because not every author is still around to be asked.

Well, it'd be nonsensical to try to ask an author that you can't contact ;) But honestly, its not the same when someone just credits you for your work and never actually contacts you. One might lose out on some great idea that the creator never got around to implementing, because one never took the effort to contact the creator. Its nicer to get recognition in a conversation then just a credit.

So I guess its one of those instances, where giving credit is good, and contacting the author is even better.

Originally posted by wryun

jpekar has released a semi-updated version of the AGC which you would probably want to use as the version distributed (the 2.3beta is not compatible with 1.07) - this is in the User made scenarios and mods forum, and since it's basically just a zip file, it can be used on the mac as well as the PC... so the problem for the mac at the moment is that the 'Configurator' executable runs only on a PC, thus the default configuration is the only configuration on the mac. Writing a configurator would be a big job - you sure you want to do this when the project is basically dead?

Is jpekar version compatible with 1.07 ? I guess if there's no problem with the PC version there shouldn't be any either with the Mac since it is a faithful conversion. Up to the bugs actually...

Originally posted by DuquedeBraganca
Is jpekar version compatible with 1.07 ? I guess if there's no problem with the PC version there shouldn't be any either with the Mac since it is a faithful conversion. Up to the bugs actually...

Well, it's not quite compatible, since it has the 1.07beta text.csv changes. The only possible crash issue though (haven't tested it) is the TWRINFLATION string there; see http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90156

If FalseDmitri just changes that string back to the old version it'll be fine. All the other differences are either extra stuff or hint/pop-up text changes (to do with 1000 people for a colonial city etc.)

Originally posted by wryun
Well, it's not quite compatible, since it has the 1.07beta text.csv changes. The only possible crash issue though (haven't tested it) is the TWRINFLATION string there; see http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90156

If FalseDmitri just changes that string back to the old version it'll be fine. All the other differences are either extra stuff or hint/pop-up text changes (to do with 1000 people for a colonial city etc.)

Just thought to bump this thread :
the reason why it doesn't work on the mac according to the programmer of the port is the following :

alexcurylo said:
Duque de Bragança said:
Can people try to see if it works in their machines ? Os X or OS 9 ? I just can't get it to work crash to desktop at the end of the loading process

That's not a crash, that's a planned quit when it finds a command in the data files that it doesn't know how to handle.

Specifically, the error it throws up internally is

"ERROR : (Illegal Command Type) \'type = removecot\' Line = 27 file = AGC\events\agc_netherlands.eue"

which appears to be caused by the line

command = { type = removecot which = 380 }

Far as I can tell from my Windows 1.07 source drop, that is not a valid command. And I also see this command in major_mos.eue, major_pol.eue, and major_swe.eue, for starters.

So as long as you have that command in your datafiles, they're not going to load with the current version. You could try editing it out, or you could try figuring out why the PC version is able to understand it when the supposedly latest code I've been sent doesn't seem to know anything about it.

Well, if you use the earlier version (i.e. the one I released) you should be right, as that doesn't include a removecot command, which was introduced in the latest beta. That is AGC updated for the betas, remember...