• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ragnos

Sergeant
67 Badges
Apr 14, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Magicka 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I will be writing an AAR here from my experiences using Chile, which just so happens to be my home country :p
I will be writing this as a narrative AAR, with little pictures, since I find that taking them is far too time-consuming. I started playing in vanilla Doomsday: Armageddon 1.1 but have recently (around the start of 1942 in game years) switched to the Experience of WW2 mod.
Now, before we get started...

A Brief History of Chile
Bandera_de_Chile.png

Chile was originally inhabited by various Native American tribes, the most prominent of them being the Mapuche. During the 16the century, Chile was discovered and invaded by the Spanish, but the Mapuche resistance continued on as late as 1880.

When Joseph Bonaparte usurped the Spanish throne in 1808, a national junta was established on September 18, 1810. Then followed a period in which Spain attempted to reimpose its rule over Chile. Led by José de San Martín and Bernardo O'Higgins, the patriots won their full independence, which was officially declared in 1818.

In 1881, Chile reluctantly signed a treaty with Argentina which conceded almost the entire region now known as the Argentine Patagonia, but confirming Chilean rule over the Straight of Magellan. Fighting against Peru and Bolivia in the War of the Pacific, also known as the Saltpeter War, Chile acquired the territory of Antofagasta, which containted enormous quantities of saltpeter and copper, the former of which would make it rich until the First World War. When the president attempted to transform Chile into a dictatorship in 1891 a brief Civil War was fought, in which the forces of Congress were victorious.

Chile remained neutral during World War I, although it sold its saltpeter to the Allied powers. When german researchers developed artificial version, the chilean market crumbled and was forced to switch its efforts to mining copper, which was abundant in the northern region. During the 1920s a period of instability followed, in which several dictatorships rose and fell, the last of which was crushed by the Great Depression. Arturo Alessandri Palma was elected 22nd President of Chile in 1932, and now, in 1936, is in the 4th of his 6 year term...

Last edited:
looking goood. You know your country.

I know Chile has a BB, hope we'll see some hard core naval battles.

Coup and install a fascist dictator in the US :p . Should make for an interesting turn of events.

Gabriel Anthony said:
South American Fleets going at it :cool:

Its a beautiful thing to watch on No-Fog

Good luck. With a little quick thinking you can annex your natural allies.

I have actually found Chile to be quite fun with lots of potential. I started playing them a lot after I visited the country last year.

Felk

Palacio de la Moneda
Santiago, Chile
3:00 PM January 1, 1936

President Arturo Alessandri Palma paced in front of his ministers. Those who would decide the future of the Republic of Chile.

Cabinet.jpg

The cabinet and internal policies (apologies for having the game in Spanish)

Gustavo Ross Santa María, the elderly Head of Government, sat in his seat blinking sweat from his eyes. The conference room was stuffy at that time of year. Then was the Armaments Minister, Eduardo Hillman, and the Foreign Minister, Miguel Cruchaga. Farther down the table was Julio Allard, the Head of Intelligence, who specialized in tracking down enemy fleets. After him sat Army Chief Novoa Fuentes, who was also Chile's only Field Marshall and commander of the army stationed in Santiago. Next to him was Grand Admiral de la Motte, who was both Chief of Staff and Chief of the Navy. Finally was the very self-conscious and utterly useless Chief of the Air Force, Dario Mujica.

"Gentlemen. I have summoned you here because it is my goal to steer our nation away from its doomed path, and become greater than what any of use have ever imagined!" began the president, with a strange gleam in his eyes.

"How are we going to do that? Our factories are lacking, our army and navy outdated and our air force imaginary," replied Hillman with certain scorn.

Alessandri glared at him for the interruption before continuing,
"As our dear Armaments Minister has pointed out, our military is greatly behind the times. But before we do that, we must increase our industrial output. Thus I have requested the Transandine Construction Company to develop specialized machine tools to help us. They are starting work today."

Alessandri waited for his words to sink in, then continued,
"The army of Chile is pathetic. 2 divisions of infantry equipped with weapons almost 20 years old, some cavalry just as old and a mountain division. Not enough to wage war...if it should ever come to that," he hastened to add.

"What of the navy?" asked de la Motte, clearly more concerned about his department.

"We have the Almirante Latorre. Not a match for the newer ships that the european powers are developing, but surely enough to deal with our smaller neighbours. She is the pride of the navy, a finer battleship couldn't be found in the entire western coast of South America. However, I have no plans as of yet to improve the navy. It is a helper, not a winner. The submarine flotillas will be separated from the main force and sent south to Punta Arenas, to patrol Magellan's Strait. You will take care of that," said Alessandri, pointing at the Grand Admiral.

"And finally, the air force. We will...eventually...get to it, but I don't expect we will get more than a few biplanes to use for reconaissance. Now, meeting adjourned."

As the ministers turned to leave, the president took aside the Foreign Minister, Miguel Cruchaga,
"We must get trade deals with the United States and the European powers. Sell them our copper and rake in the profits," with that, the most important man in the Republic of Chile turned aside and walked off, consumed in his own thoughts.

Thanks for all the kind comments. :)

It's the first time I do a HoI2 AAR, and there's still plenty more to follow. I've played up to '43, and I'm sorry to say that, although you can expect vile plots, mass expansion and political manipulation, I haven't built a big fleet. Yet. ;)

And rcduggan, it was your Nepal AAR that inspired me to use this writing style, it's very exciting even though I haven't yet finished reading.

Palacio de la Moneda
Santiago, Chile
6:00 PM March 8, 1936

Arturo Alessandri stood at the window, staring at the rain pounding on the streets in front of him. In the silence of the room the raindrops sounded as if they were hail. Alessandri heard the door behind him open and close, and a man approached him respectfully.
"Arturo, are you all right? What are you doing here?"
It was the vicepresident, Gustavo Ross.
"I'm fine, Gustavo. Concerned, but alright," he replied.
"Why are you concerned? Is there a problem?"
"Yes. I suppose you haven't heard. Germany reocuppied the Rhineland yesterday. Their belligerent attitude has been denounced worldwide."
"But that is against the Treaty of Versailles!"
"Exactly."
"Have you decided on Chile's official response to it?"
"Yes. The germans are dangerous, extremist nationalists. Today it's the Rhineland, but who knows what it'll be tomorrow? Austria? Poland?"
The vicepresident remained silent at this new revelation.
"Germany is a threat, Gustavo, to everyone; including themselves."
"Why are you so worried about Europe's bickering? They'll argue for a few months, then agree on something and say goodbye to the issue."
"You are so nearsighted, Gustavo. Europe has already had a war, a very short while ago. The ashes are still burning. It only needs a bit more wood and it'll roar into life once more. Besides," Alessandri turned his head to his vicepresident, "I intend to expand our interests beyond just South America. It is small. Underdeveloped. Broken. Useless. But if brought under our command, it could gain glory greater than any empire has achieved before."

The vicepresident excused himself and retired from the room, uncomfortable by the rantings of Alessandri. To him it seemed that he was teetering on the edge of madness.

(Here's the next update, but whenever I try to resume my game I get this message halfway through the loading bar:
Critical Error!
--- Database Mismatch (type=4712/id1128236) already used! ---

Then it asks me if I want to abort, retry or ignore. No matter what I choose the game crashes immediately. I haven't been messing around with the game files, so what's wrong?)

Westminster Palace
London, England
4:00 PM January 14, 1937

As Alessandri wondered at the vast expanse that was Westminster Palace as he was led through its doors to meet with the British Foreign Minister, Anthony Eden, and the Prime Minister, Stanley Baldwin. He thought back to the last few months, in which he had been busy to say the least. After basic machine tools were developed and incorporated into the chilean industry, the modernisation of the army had begun. Upgrading the soldiers to '36 standard took a long time due to the clumsy and inefficient industry, which barely managed to maintain its daily output at an acceptable level.

In August a bloody Civil War began in Spain between the Republicans and Nationalists. Although Chile was in no position to help either side, Alessandri was hopeful that the Republicans would win. Europe did not need or desire another fascist state.

In late December he had boarded a ship, which took him through the Panama Canal and all the way through the Atlantic to Great Britain. The ingenious canal had saved him many weeks of travel through the cold of Magellan's Strait.

Now, he sat there with two of the most powerful men in the world before him. He swallowed hard.

"We understand you desired an audience with us, President Alessandri. What could your country offer ours?" began the Prime Minister.
"I wish to secure trade deals...and an alliance," Alessandri almost winced at his last statement. He had sounded much too eager.
"An alliance?" both englishmen were obviously surprised by the request.
"Yes. As you surely know, chilean copper plays an important part in your industry; we trade enormous amounts of it for your coal and rubber. It is only natural that we would...secure this deal, so to speak."
"And why would you need an alliance for this? There will be no war in our time," replied Baldwin, putting great emphasis on his second sentence.
"Then what would you have to lose?"
Visibly taken aback by this last remark, Baldwin hesitated. He and Eden excused themselves to talk in private.

Upon their return, they confirmed an alliance with Chile, although still rather confused over such a strange request, and even stranger reasoning. But Baldwin was not worried. There would not be war in their time.

Or so he thought, anyway.