• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chieron

General
72 Badges
Nov 27, 2011
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Magicka
  • Magicka 2
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
I've just randomly checked the ethics makeup of my empire with 3689 pops, while the game was running - and saw something that worries me a bit:
The total numbers of pops in each ethic change daily, jumping by 5-20 pops out of ca. 930 for the most common ethic.
A full 1% DAILY variation in the totals for ethics points to actual extremly widespread ethic switching, with pops switching back and forth all the time. The overall numbers are relatively constant, however, it's just the daily variation which is odd.
I know that earlier ethics shifts did not happen often enough, but this? This is absolutely silly.
It might be an error in the display on the overview, because looking at a particular pop on the planet screen doesn't show such rapid changes.
For the record, I only have cosmetic mods (species portraits and tiny outliner), which should not affect this.

Has anyone else experienced variations like this?

Example shift for one day:
Ethicsswitch.png

This was a known bug that was corrected in the 2.7.3 beta branch patch. Have you tried installing the new patch and seeing if the bug persists?
I see. I have not installed this patch, due to the savegame compatibility issue, and only searched for ethics shifts..
Will try out the patch, thank you.

It's not ethics that are shifting, per se, but factions.

Apparently you can join factions without necessarily following that ethos. Case in point: My current game, where I'm playing a synth empire, my materialist faction is made up of almost all my empire for some reason, but the percentage of my pops that actually have that ethos is more like ~25%.

It's not ethics that are shifting, per se, but factions.

Apparently you can join factions without necessarily following that ethos. Case in point: My current game, where I'm playing a synth empire, my materialist faction is made up of almost all my empire for some reason, but the percentage of my pops that actually have that ethos is more like ~25%.

Interesting. Specifically synth ascended empires seem to be affected by this. ALl other factions seem to require pops to have matching ethics to join the faction. The materialst faction also has this requirement, but this can be ignored if the pop is a robot.

Code:
    can_join_faction = {
        is_shackled_robot = no
        has_culture_shock = no
        NOT = { has_trait = trait_nerve_stapled }
        NOR = {
            has_ethic = ethic_spiritualist
            has_ethic = ethic_fanatic_spiritualist
        }
        OR = {
            has_ethic = ethic_materialist
            has_ethic = ethic_fanatic_materialist
            is_robot_pop = yes
        }
    }

This means that any robot may join the materialist faction, no matter the ethos (except spiritualist).

Last edited:
Reactions:
The other main reason for a discrepancy is if your empire has slaves or is otherwise very authoritarian, because pop ethics numbers go on raw pop count but factions are weighted by political power, and I think bared to slaves entirely.

The other main reason for a discrepancy is if your empire has slaves or is otherwise very authoritarian, because pop ethics numbers go on raw pop count but factions are weighted by political power, and I think bared to slaves entirely.
Fan Auth, indeed, but no slaves.

The new patch fixed the issue, and did not break ther savegame.