• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Janus Rook

Second Lieutenant
102 Badges
Jun 21, 2005
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Roses
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
Is there a way to edit so that pops don't get assimilated so quickly? I know that this is contrary to what you actually want in the game, but from a pure role-playing stance I'd like to keep at least some minorities.

I've noticed in several games that baltic peoples tend to instantly assimilate whereas jews don't assimilate as quickly, if at all? Is this something in the game, or am I just not noticing something?

Or can I stop assimilation based on a political parties issues?

Thanks in advance.

Janus Rook said:
Is there a way to edit so that pops don't get assimilated so quickly? I know that this is contrary to what you actually want in the game, but from a pure role-playing stance I'd like to keep at least some minorities.

I've noticed in several games that baltic peoples tend to instantly assimilate whereas jews don't assimilate as quickly, if at all? Is this something in the game, or am I just not noticing something?

Or can I stop assimilation based on a political parties issues?

Thanks in advance.

party position on citizenship impacts speed - a party with full citizenship will assimilate immigrants faster than one with residence. but I don't think there is any way to stop assimilation, only slow it down.

religion also plays a role - if the immigrant shares the same religion as the majority culture in their new homeland, they will assimilate much faster.

the size of the POP also plays a role, smaller POPs assimilate faster than larger ones

OHgamer said:
party position on citizenship impacts speed - a party with full citizenship will assimilate immigrants faster than one with residence. but I don't think there is any way to stop assimilation, only slow it down.

religion also plays a role - if the immigrant shares the same religion as the majority culture in their new homeland, they will assimilate much faster.

the size of the POP also plays a role, smaller POPs assimilate faster than larger ones

Bad news for me then... I spend hours creating minorities for the modern world, just to see them assimilate in a matter of seconds. But I've noticed it doesn't always happen. I created Serbia with like 20 different ethnic minorities (Vlach, Gorani, Hungarian and so on) and none has assimilated.. :wacko:

Yes and also it always has been a mystery to me why all them Confederates turn into yankee over time, forgetting about their heritage such fast .. in contrast to real world events

Depending on whether or not you want larger or smaller assimilation and migration rates, you can edit the province.csv file to make certain provinces part of the American continent which gets and assimilation and migration bonus. See the POP activity guide for further details (particularly the table in that section).

I dont know about you but for me assimilation is not good. The more pops the more production, income and industrial score. When your small foreign pops assimilate, it is not good for you

Well it might be different if you get lots of immigration, but this usually only happens as USA. For European countries assimilation usually is a bad thing.

Assimilation is not a problem at all for you - national POPs are twice as productive as non-national POPs. Furthermore, your issue is with the merging of these POPs. Merging of POPs only happens to those groups under 10k, so as soon as the assimilated-POP stack reaches 10k, another group will be made.

Sure, but many times assimilation automatically means merging. For example as France you might get immigration as pops of very small size. When those are assimilated, they will be merged with bigger national pop.

Production penalty of non-national pops is not that bad, if you use those pops correctly. You could use 1000 sized non-national pops as craftsmen in your factories, and convert all your national pops to clerks. Then you can have 80 or 90 percent of your industrial population can be clerks. This is good for economy, score and research.