• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really like the new changes but there are two things that I am wondering about:
  • Why can't I open the command console after the patch? Do i have to activate it somehow or is it just a bug?
  • Is it possible to save in an uncompressed format like you did before the patch? Is there a way to decompress it afterwords outside the game so that I can edit the save? If so, how do i "re-compress" it whet I am done or is that not necessary?

It would be nice if Paradox acknowledged the issues with their launcher on Linux. It's been an issue since launch, there are multiple bug reports and keeps players from otherwise playing the game unless they launch the game's binary directly.

2019-06-26_17-18-47.png
Broken provinces

7668,egyptian,egyptian_pantheon,earthware,4,4,7,0,30,0,Bilbeis,Memphis
7688,egyptian,egyptian_pantheon,cloth,4,5,7,0,35,0,Thenessos,Eastern Delta
7689,egyptian,egyptian_pantheon,grain,5,3,6,0,40,0,Hermopolis,Central Delta
7690,egyptian,egyptian_pantheon,grain,4,4,5,0,40,0,Tamiathis,Central Delta
7691,egyptian,egyptian_pantheon,grain,2,2,10,0,40,0,Perseos Skope,Western Delta
7723,babylonian,mesopotamian_religion,dates,5,4,9,0,40,0,Durum,Sumer
7732,treverian,druidism,leather,0,1,0,3,10,0,Vicus Augustanus,Vangionia
7738,treverian,druidism,stone,0,1,0,2,15,0,Remagus,Treveria

Nothing like spending weeks trying to get your game to run with the DLC you paid for, only to be told you no longer even own that DLC when trying to launch the game via binary in the 1.1 Pompey version.

I should add, I say "via binary" because 1.1 still hasn't fixed the issue for windows 7 and Linux users who want to play the game through the launcher.

Literal joke.

I really like the new changes but there are two things that I am wondering about:
  • Why can't I open the command console after the patch? Do i have to activate it somehow or is it just a bug?
  • Is it possible to save in an uncompressed format like you did before the patch? Is there a way to decompress it afterwords outside the game so that I can edit the save? If so, how do i "re-compress" it whet I am done or is that not necessary?
it says here "One of the changes in this patch is that the in game Console has been disabled by default. To enable it, launch the game using -debug_mode launch command." but I have no idea where to enter that launch command
and I too ran up against the compressed saved game file... ewww:confused:

Im a bit dissapointed that coordinate urban development is still a complete waste of Power, while I know there is more important things that need attention, there is absolutly no need for urban development to be so bad and why the 60 civilization cap which go against the whole purpose of being able to develop a city into a great one.
CoordinateUrbanDevelopment.png

Why does the console still not work????
it says here "One of the changes in this patch is that the in game Console has been disabled by default. To enable it, launch the game using -debug_mode launch command." but I have no idea where to enter that launch command
and I too ran up against the compressed saved game file... ewww:confused:

Oh, I see. I did not read the patch note for the Beta.

To enter a launch command: open steam > open properties for that game > then there is a button for "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS..." and then enter your command there.
This is still a pain tho because now it is as if you are using the "debug_mode" command all the time (that is it shows all kinds of useful but annoying info in many tooltips) and if you enter "debug_mode" in the console to disable it, then you can't re-open the console...

That still leaves the compressed saved game file however... I still want to mess around with my saves but with the console sort of working it isn't as important any more. You can do a lot in game using the console.

Oh, I see. I did not read the patch note for the Beta.

To enter a launch command: open steam > open properties for that game > then there is a button for "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS..." and then enter your command there.
thanks
That still leaves the compressed saved game file however... I still want to mess around with my saves but with the console sort of working it isn't as important any more. You can do a lot in game using the console.
I can't edit character traits and stats... and provinces and cities... I can only... could only do that in the saved game file. Is there a bunch of console commands I am unaware of that I can use to edit the aforementioned?
Incidentally, perhaps the Stellaris method would work:
Compression on Windows
Options for 7-Zip

Use 7-Zip with the following options:

Archive format: zip
Compression method: Deflate
Do not include NTFS timestamps (tc=off parameters in bottom left of 7-Zip, or use a version equal to 9.12 beta or earlier)

Do not use WinRAR as it messes compressed lines.
for me that's horribly clunky. I liked the pre-patch way best... maybe I'll be the only Varus loyalist

Last edited:
Was it updated in any way since 24 june or is it the same version?

war score from battles is still broken from the beta. smdh paradox come on now

Indeed, i wonder what, - if anything -changed since last beta version, and if there will be more changes? New beta perhaps?

... the changes are good, but we've been listing plenty of issues in recent days. I want to ride a hypetrain for this patch, but is it really done?

thanks

I can't edit character traits and stats... and provinces and cities... I can only... could only do that in the saved game file. Is there a bunch of console commands I am unaware of that I can use to edit the aforementioned?
Incidentally, perhaps the Stellaris method would work:

I did try "the Stellaris method". No luck so far.

I do not think that you can do the things you mentioned with the console but you can annex teritory, add mana, cash and manpower and much more. https://commands.gg/imperator

"- The last pop can now die!"

I actually don't like this; it's got uncolonized cities appearing all over the map that the AI never fixes :( I think having a minimum of 1 pop remain in cities impacted by disasters would make sense to represent the few people who survive in the area, and it would keep the grey pimples off the map.

Amazing patch otherwise, though!

Last edited:
At a glance, I really like the new population limit. Thanks for adding this! With the strong differentiation of good and bad settlement areas, this adds a feature I was missing so much during my first extensive playthrough. Finally a good reason to fight for land and not just slaves. I look forward to see how it plays out in mid- to lategame.

But, and this might be my eurocentrism speaking, but why are the Danube (and the Elbe) not major rivers?

And how is 'next to a river'-max population modifier calculated? Sometimes, one side of a river is, the other side isn't. Lenght of border?

At a glance, I really like the new population limit. Thanks for adding this! With the strong differentiation of good and bad settlement areas, this adds a feature I was missing so much during my first extensive playthrough. Finally a good reason to fight for land and not just slaves. I look forward to see how it plays out in mid- to lategame.

But, and this might be my eurocentrism speaking, but why are the Danube (and the Elbe) not major rivers?

And how is 'next to a river'-max population modifier calculated? Sometimes, one side of a river is, the other side isn't. Lenght of border?

Indeed, you can zone in on farmland and riverbanks in warm/fertile areas, raise their civ level and affect thwir pop distribution using (nee) policies, moving capitals and setting up holdings ... all the while the composition of goods surplus being peoduced will change with how many slaves you have and where (like before)

... if you dont have those fertile lands you moght end up pushing up against the pop-cap and need to raise civ level build granaries and import grain to raise it.