• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Darkness: 1942
We enter our 3rd year of war more determined than ever. Our scientists have found out innumerable ways for our economy to do more with less. We have built forts throughout the FDZ and in the rear to prevent any invasions from our East from crushing our resistance. Our people seem determined to weather this storm. The war as such over these last two years has been no war at all. Perhaps the strategy is just to remain at war until the people grow so tired of war that they simply give up. That will not happen in the case of Poland - our resolve is unquestioned.

As they will do us no more good on the front as any other location, the Marshal determines to send our new British troops to the rear of the Pilsudksi line, so that if the knife should come for our back we would be prepared with troops in place.

Our entire economy remains devoted to the construction of forts.

On the 12th of January, 3 more British divisions arrive on our shore - 2 marine divisions and 1 infantry. The total of British troops in Poland is now substantial. But now they are 3 years late.

On the 29th, yet another division arrives from the UK - it has excited our generals as it contains a unit which we could use badly - the tank destroyer. It's our first armored unit of the war.

Yet, on February 2nd, 1942. The knife has finally come! We have prepared long for this and we believe that we can hold our lines. But the world as we know it, is finished. They want to erase Poland again!

It seems the Germans have finally convinced the Soviets to join in their nefarious war against us. As such the Soviet Union now finds itself at war with our allies as well. The world as we've known it for the past 30 years is finished.

Our units South and North immediately make a fast retreat to the lines and relative safety of the Pilsudski Line along well prepared routes - we have been planning for this for the last 2 years - as our Eastern frontier is completely unguarded we have no choice but to head back inside the lines. A division from New Zealand and Australia had just landed the day before - we welcome their aid and our troops have given them a hearty welcome! But we wish the situation were different - as darkness is about to envelope us.

The next day, as our troops are retreating to the Pilsudski line, Yugoslavia declares that it has joined the Axis and will enter the war immediately.

Within days our troops are in position as the darkness runs wild through the rest of Poland unopposed.

On the 16th, of February, the Germans test themselves against the Pilsudski line - we will throw the jackals back!

They suffer heavy casualties 2:1!

Our situation as of March 1st, 1942.

Can Poland possibly hope to survive?

That´s interesting that the Soviets are at war with the Allies but as long as USA doesn´t step in, it is a dire situation.
I hope that the battle hardened soldiers will be able to hold the predetermined line! :)

I'm still not exactly sure *why* the soviets declare in 42' here. Or on me of all things lol. We had pretty poor relations throughout the game, but I tried to at least make it positive in the last 2 years, but that seems to have had no effect and perhaps they just declare on Poland since there is nothing else going on lol. Uncle Joe must be scared of boredom. It also means that as long as I survive the game will never have a conclusion as the USSR will be forever aligned with Germany and unable to attack them until every single allied nation is conquered lol.

I considered switching the AAR to the USA at this point because one would have to fight both Germany and the USSR and that would be a herculean task lol. But I thought perhaps it would be more interesting just to see what happens in such a wacky alternate scenario lol.

Kinda not sure you should have abandoned Danzig- now there is basically no hope of getting more relief from England. >: Turtling down can be effective (I've seen it work before), but it was always with a secure sea connection.

Yugoslavia declares that it has joined the Axis
First the SU and now Yugoslavia?...this is a very nasty scenario.

I considered switching the AAR to the USA at this point because one would have to fight both Germany and the USSR and that would be a herculean task lol. But I thought perhaps it would be more interesting just to see what happens in such a wacky alternate scenario lol.
You could always make the switch at the last gasp. Definitely the right-call the face both brutes.

Speaking of the USA, not sure if the UK has Paratroopers but the Americans should have at least one-division? You might as well call them to your airfields.

Btw, could you put any spies working to bolster your NU?

I've only ever had spies boosting my NU :D We're at 83% so I could theoretically just put all my units in Warsaw and abandon the whole country and stay in the game. Theoretically I could've also just held Danzig or Konigsburg and set up a trench line from Warsaw to there - but holding the Eastern side of such a fort line seems pretty tough to me. Staying in my happy river lined bubble seemed like the best chance to see what sort of wacky things happen now as my ability to determine the outcome of this game ended when my winter offensive failed.

The other problem is that the Germans and Soviets both have HARM which I have absolutely no answer to as HARM armor outpaces AT gun's ability to pierce them and I can't afford to research AT piercing a cycle in advance :(.

Either France will have a massive influx of allied soldiers and beat back the Germans or they'll die and the game will end as I can't really see the UK or even the USA managing to invade and defeat the Germans and the USSR in the time remaining :(.

Last edited:
1942: The World Goes to War
From our forts, in what remains of Poland, we hear, on March 3rd, that the Japanese have attacked the United States of America.

They have not yet joined the Allies however and fight them alone.

On March 13th, the Germans test our lines again but are easily repelled - we inflict 2 German casualties for every one of ours - but the German aerial attack is consistent and though our forts have AAA built around them, our forces are being rapidly depleted by their relentless attack. They would test our lines 3 more times in March, and be thrown back each time. For their part, the Soviets have not directly engaged any Polish forces.

On April 20th, the USA declares that it has joined the Allies this now sets the sides as:

Allies: UK, France, Poland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, and the United States - along with several U.K. puppets

Vs.

Germany, Slovakia, Japan, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria + USSR and Mongolia.

Romania, Belgium, Luxemburg, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Greece, and Spain all remain neutral.

On the 23rd, the Italians declare war on the Allies and add their forces to the darkness sweeping Europe and Asia.

By May 4th, the Italians have broken through the Alps and entered French territory:

Yet on the 17th of May, the Greeks declare that they will fight alongside the Allies! Surely they know how Polish sentiment supports their struggle!

By early June, the Heroic Greeks are outside of Sofia - the Bulgarians seem to be in a state of complete collapse. French troops have also landed in Albania and liberated that country - and Yugoslavia seems to be too busy aiding their German masters to defend their own borders!

Hail to the heroic Greeks!

Their march brings the French back to their senses and it is they who cross the border into Italy - beating back the invader!

The Americans are also already involved in the war in the Mediterranean taking some Italian islands East of Greece.

June 15th, the French capture Turin.

On the 23rd, The Philippines, were overrun by the Japanese - the first Allied nation to fall.

A summary of French Operations against Italy at the end of June:

All is quiet in Poland for now..

On July 24th, with war raging throughout the world, the Yugoslavians throw themselves at the Pilsudki line and suffer devastating losses (5 to 1) - perhaps Hitler demanded the bloodletting or perhaps it is just madness?

On August 13th, the Ethiopians are liberated from Italian rule by the French and British.

But it seems, the French army of the Alps is collapsing.

In October, the British, French, and Americans land a massive force in Albania to attempt to relieve the Greeks who have since been beaten back substantially after the German army showed up to save its henchmen. We are told too - that the French and British campaign for North Africa is going well.

Yet, it appears that the French is in full retreat - Europe may be lost to the Allies soon.

For our part, the Germans test our lines again on October 8th - General Sulik will throw them back! -=My 80 MP that I had nursed up is gone again thanks to relentless German bombing, so if they keep attacking me my line will eventually break=-

And the Allied campaign for Albania seems to be a failure as the Greeks are all but defeated and the invasion force seems to be falling back to its ships.

But at the end of the month, though our allies seem to be losing everywhere except in North and East Africa, Poland stands strong!

What a roller-coaster, and very well told. At the precise moment I was thinking “but surely the Soviets won’t attack because that would bring war with the rest of the Allies”, they do exactly that! I wonder if there is any chance they could end up in a three-way war with the Axis eventually, now they are in direct contact with Germany? The rest of your world has gone crazy, why not that too? :eek:

Then it looks like the French are finally getting into gear and the Allies are helping Greece to open up a third front. Hurrah! But then the Germans and their Axis henchmen turn it around and use Italy as the back door into France and defeat the landings in Albania and the gallant Greeks! :eek: Again

Other than the Axis jackals fighting the Soviet hyenas, the only other faint hopes is that the Allies will forget about Mediterranean adventures now and throw everything then can into France to first save it, then turn things around. At least the VPs will take longer to accumulate coming from the south. But then, maybe the Germans will come through the Low Countries now (three years late) and outflank the Maginot Line. :eek:

Who would have thought Poland holding out to 1942 would have changed the war this much? Keep up the fight, brother, even if the MP regain now drops even further due to the reduced catchment.

PS: did you ever build up the provincial AA? It may be that you needed that more than the extra ground forts, given the air attacks - which the Soviets might now start to add to. You know my gravest fear was German air power. That and the Soviet stab in the back ;). They can never be trusted and I know you didn’t - any Pole will tell you that! :mad:

Whatever happens it shall be remembered in story and song

Our situation as of March 1st, 1942.

Can Poland possibly hope to survive?

Interesting position here, there's a chance that the Axis forces envelope the rest of Poland before the Soviets can establish much of a front line, meaning you'll still really only be fighting one foe instead of two. Not only would that cut the enemies you'd have to face in half, but it would spread the Germans more thinly than they'd like!

You can always do that if Poland is finally taken and becomes a government-in-exile, if the GIE lifestyle is not to your taste!

But at the end of the month, though our allies seem to be losing everywhere except in North and East Africa, Poland stands strong!

The Soviet line is now too thin for them to make a real offensive, while the German line is going to be spread too much for them to make a proper Schwerpunkt against your defenses. As long as your MP holds up so that you can keep reinforcing, and you have enough divisions in reserve to keep rotating out the damaged ones, Poland should be able to hold out for a long while yet, I feel.

I hope you feel able to continue and finish off the AAR - it has been interesting so far and there is still some fight left in the Army. You never know what may happen down the track. Even if you hasten through and just report major outcomes (ie not too onerous to do). :)

Motion carried!

I support the motion as well.

Well, I seem to be late to this party...
A truly heroic tale... You only have two provinces bordering the Soviets, maybe this means that you can just man those two provinces, and concentrate mostly on the Germans... Now I'm wondering if there might be a late Barbarossa, meaning that Poland becomes the spectator of a titanic struggle between the Reich and the Soviets as both Armies follow the path of least resistance, around the Polish fortifications... Of course, once one of them wins you'd be doomed anyway...
Maybe Barbarossa only happens in game if Poland has already fallen, in which case, good luck, let's hope you can hold out until the Americans really arrive in large numbers...

Some pointers on earlier decisions...
Good call sending spies to France, and not the UK, instead of the other way around. I have found that the UK is somewhat competent at capturing your spies, while the french tend to be quite useless. For a minor, the French still have a lot of tech to offer...
Disbanding the least reinforced divisions isn't a straightforward call. In the interest of conserving experience, it would be more logical to disband the least experienced divisions (regardless of it's health), so their people can join veteran Divisions (which in HOI3 conserve their XP when reinforced). This, of course implies that you can afford to have the Veteran Divs that are low on manpower recuperate a bit before sending them back into the action... Sadly, in HOI3, there doesn't seem to be a dynamic in which you can disband your most veteran units to increase the experience of the units being reinforced. That works in real life, but not in TFH. Unless there is some secret in game effect I'm not aware of...
On the OOB to save supplies, the HQ level that has the most significant impact on supplies is the Army Group, the higher the skill of it's commander, the lower supply usage down the line..., I'm left wondering if an OOB with a low level LW at Theatre level and as many Army Groups as there are Level 3+ Generals (with the most supply-consuming divisions directly attached to them) wouldn't be more economical than a pure Theatre HQ and nothing else approach. In your analysis it seemed to be full OOB or no OOB, in between may lie a better alternative... (from a gaming the system to save supplies point of view)

Anyway, I really hope you will see this through to the end, whatever that might be...

I also second the others, it would be really interesting to see how things will unfold. Your AAR is one of the best I have seen so far! :)
I know that it is kinda boring to hold "the fortress" and watching what others do (my AAR came in a similar stage).
I am also sorry that i haven´t checked out your game, but I have been very busy.
Keep up the good work! :)