• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Range

General
12 Badges
May 9, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
2iw0vug.jpg

The Open

As with all of Range's adventures - normal settings will be observed. No replaying of action will be done to get different results.

Poland 1399.
In a small castle eight travelers met to take part in a unique mission ... to make Poland into a great nation ...

But, not everyone was recruited the normal way. One referred to his appearance as to being shanghaied.

HOST: I'm glad to see you Range.

RANGE: (curt) You didn't exactly give me a choice.

HOST: Never the less it is our pleasure to have you join us ... please take a seat.

RANGE: No ... you see I’m not certain whether or not I’m staying.

HOST: I'm certain I can make your stay here well worth your time.

The host motioned to a chalkboard that had several dates scrolled upon it. The dates were as follows:

July 15, 1410 - Teutonic Knight are soundly defeated in the epic Battle of Grunwald.

1569 - Poland and Lithuania unifies into one state, allowing Royal succession based on
election (even foreign candidates will be considered).

1573 - The Sejm guaranteed religious equality (all religions, including Muslims)

1655-60 -Sweden invades Poland - Poland is virtually destroyed as cities are burned and plundered. The population of 10 million is reduced to 6 million due to wars, famine, and the bubonic plague.

1700s - Russia, Prussia and Austria want Poland ... the three avoid war with each other by subdividing Poland amongst themselves in a series of agreements known as Three Partitions of Poland.

1791 - After the first partition brings reforms, a constitution is passed called Constitution of the Third of May. It is the second document that outlines the responsibilities of the Government (U.S. Constitution was first). Shortly thereafter Catherine the Great of Russia invades Poland to break up the new democracy.

1793 - During the Second partition, Russia and Prussia take over half of what was left of Poland.

1795 - The Third Partition ...

Rapping his knuckles hard upon the chalkboard close to the 1795 date, the Host asked if anyone could explain why this year in Poland's history was a very troubling point to the Polish people.

Range paused for a moment as if waiting for someone else to answer, when no one did, he spoke up rather frankly.

RANGE: ... that's when Poland was officially removed from the world map ... and, it didn't reappear for another 123 years.

HOST: Harsh ... but straight to the point. And, for that reason I have recruited all of you to help me change history.

The Host went on to explain that their adventure would in fact change history. However, they shouldn’t be concerned over the possibility of their endeavor causing a Paradox. He believed that the theory held no substance except as a coined phrase to frighten or to fascinate school boys and girls and for the basis for writing sci-fi works.

The Host, along with Marcie (his niece) and a man he named as Mandek (soldier) had been living down line since 1353. The Polish gentry had accepted them and had even given them the castle as payment for services rendered thus far. He laughed and commented that many considered them as Gods or at least some sort of angelic creatures and they feared them as well as revered them.

The Host then proceeded to give the others their new names,

Alina (Marcie)

Jaroslaw - (fierce, strong and glorious)

Gorski - (Mountainous)

Jurek - (farmer)

And, of course Mandek.

When the Host turned to Range, he wasn't given the opportunity to share the name he had in mind for him.

RANGE: I like my name quite well, thank you ...

HOST: Of course ... l would never dare venture to change it. .. Range suits you well.

It was at that moment a dragging sound was heard approaching the hall. All eyes turned to see the eighth member enter. He was a young man, dragging his braced limb across the stone floor. He was to be known as Klaudiusz (lame). He was Marcie’s brother.

HOST: Oh, it's about time you thought it best to join us nephew.

KLAUDlUSZ: I knew you wouldn't wait for me uncle.

RANGE: Haven't you forgotten someone? (pause) What's the name you chosen for yourself!

HOST: You may refer to me as Ulryk (world ruler)

Range chuckled in hearing the name. "I figured as much…

Ulryk then solemnly vowed that their endeavor would not be undone. His software would make certain the changes would last forever to be woven into the fabric of time ... reality replacing reality.

Next post: Part One - Alliances come first, then War..

Last edited:
World Domination? :eek:This can't be good!

Great choice of country. I'm looking forward to this new adventure of Range's. ;)

you didn't forget Poland :p
I love your aars
Let's see where this one goes

Thank you...I really appreciate comments. And, let's see where this takes us...

World Domination? :eek:This can't be good!

Great choice of country. I'm looking forward to this new adventure of Range's. ;)

Range is being swept along with the crest of the wave...keep in mind Ulryk is a bad guy.

Range is back!

Did he ever leave?

POLAND

Part One

2d7d154.jpg

Each of Ulryk’s seven commanders would be in charge of one banner (50 mounted heavy cavalry) that would fight independently of each other. However, Alina’s banner would be tied to Range’s banner for a time. The symbol, or the lack of a symbol on each of the actual banners that was to be carried into battle was to characterized the commander (most needed an explanation – except for Range’s Banner.)

The symbol was of a badger. A quick reference of the attributes of badge is as follows:

Determination
Eagerness
Strong Will
Focus
Strategy
Tenacity
Defense
Protection
Independence
Confidence

Badgers are fierce animals and will protect themselves and their young at all costs. They have been known to fight off much larger animals such as wolves, coyotes and bears.

When the Ulryk’s seven commanders heard that Poland had five allies, they knew war was nearly upon them. They then all agreed that The Teutonic Knights would be their first target.

Ever since Konrad I of Mazovia (in 1226) invited the Knights to west-central Poland to assist in defending the Polish borders against Pagan Prussians Poland had been realizing that the Teutonic Knights were worse than the problem they were there to solve. The Teutonic knights not only destroyed Prussia’s existence by killing almost the entire population…destroying their state and nation…the Teutonic Knights were planning on taking over Poland and the nations surrounding it.

Every time when the Teutonic Knights (or, Krzyzacy for the black cross they carried on white coats) captured a village or town in Poland all the population (as much 10,000 at a time) were massacred and the Germans were brought in to populate the land.

1401 – The Battle of Grunwald (Tannenberg) took place (instead of 1410). The result was the same.

15 July, 1401, the Krzyzacy set up their headquarters near the little village of Grunwald, while the Polish and Lithuanians set up their HQ in the small village of Tannenberg some three miles away.

When the Krzyzacy advanced they were surprised that the enemy was no where in sight. They remained in the open for hours under the hot summer sun without water waiting for the opposing forces to advance. However, the Polish army and their ally remained under cover within the thick woods protected from the effects of the sun with plenty of water.

Then, the battle was engaged. The Polish army and their ally were greatly underestimated by the Teutonic Knights …and the Teutonic Knights soon paid for that mistake when they became surrounded. It was said that the battle was so fierce that the white coats of the Teutonic Knights had turned red from all the blood that had been spilled. In an attempt to see more clearly, many the knights removed their helmets (a very fatal mistake as they quickly found their heads crushed by some Polish or Lithuanian weapon).

Range’s banner soon found themselves in the center of the battle. Thankfully, they were joined by foot soldiers mainly Polish villagers that were fighting fanatically due to the hate they held for the murderous false followers of God.

Many of the horses had been killed. Range soon found himself fighting as a foot soldier. He tried to get at the Teutonic Knight Grand Master who was now only a few yards away. But every time he dispatched one knight another came at him (at times two at once). Sensing that someone was protecting his back, Range noticed it was a young bowman with long reddish hair.

hs5em1.jpg

Immediately, the young warrior took steady aim and without a second to lose the mark was hit. The Grand Master Ulrich von Jungingen soon slumped forward on his horse before falling dead onto the ground.

ibma9f.jpg

By dusk, it was a sad testament of so many brave men dead or dying upon the ground. The green grass was drenched in blood. But, there was no time to rest…or, time to bury the dead. The fort would eventually fall

Of the seven banners of Ulryk’s forces, nine knights were killed. In all, the Polish army lost 12 knights. The reason given for the higher number of Ulryk’s loses was that Range and the others slammed into the Teutonic Knight’s flank driving them back away from their main force making the victory possible.

With the news of the victory, the Austrians, Bohemians and the Hungarians were now flooding the countryside in an attempt to take some land for themselves.

qqv5vs.jpg

Our Allies helped to lead the Teutonic Knight to the peace table. But, the question had to be asked do we allow our allies to keep any of the land they took?

sxy6q8.jpg

With Range’s urging, the island of Osel was also taken in the payment for peace (something that Ulryk was against as it was taken by KLAUDlUSZ).

With the war now over, Range met with Alina to discuss some important matters.

RANGE: What is it between your brother and Ulryk?

ALINA: Of course you’re referring to why Ulryk would deny Klaudiusz his victory. (pause) My father was supposed to come…but, my brother came in his place. I guess my uncle wishes to strike back at my father through my dear brother.

The Captain of the guards and two of his men approached Range and Alina.

CAPTAIN OF THE GUARDS: We have brought you the young bowman that you wished to see.

The captain of the guards then stepped aside to reveal a young woman in men’s clothes.

ALINA: (peeved) What do you want with her?

RANGE: First off…calm down…I didn’t know she was a girl. (To young woman) What’s your name?

EVIN: Evin sire…

RANGE: That’s an interesting name…Irish isn’t it?

EVIN: I was born in Scotland, but my saintly grandmother was Irish…she named me…

RANGE: Scotland…that’s a long journey to here…I wanted to thank you for your deed this day taking out the Grand Master the way you did…and, I don’t mean to slight the action of your defending my back the way you did. (pause) But, in hearing where you hail from it makes me wonder why you chose to back me up among all that was going on.

EVIN: I was guided through a dream to your side by my saintly grandmother.

RANGE: When you say saintly grandmother, I suppose you mean…

EVIN: She has passed on.

RANGE: I’m sorry…I’ll make certain to send thanks for her guiding hand when I retire this night…what was your grandmother’s name?

EVIN: Erin…

The color in Range’s face disappeared. His throat tightened as he fought off a tear.

Last edited:
Sad...Erin was Range's daughter...Evin is Range's great-granddaughter (corrected). Erin was hurled back in time (1353) just prior to Morocco - Casablanca. This is...like all Range's saga's...this is a continuance.

Last edited:
Indeed, downtime again with a intriguing cast of characters, only this time in Central Europe. Good luck with Poland they seem to draw the jackal out of their neighbours with regularity. What's your relationship with Lithuania like? They could be a useful addition to a alliance or the next target for Polish expansion.

Indeed, downtime again with a intriguing cast of characters, only this time in Central Europe. Good luck with Poland they seem to draw the jackal out of their neighbours with regularity. What's your relationship with Lithuania like? They could be a useful addition to a alliance or the next target for Polish expansion.

They are a welcome surprise...but, I must not take advantage of their assistance...as I want them to become a part of Poland.

At the start, I took on other allies as well...Austria, Bohemia and Hungary...

Strangely, for Poland I've found for some reason I can't use my main strength (trading). Of course, I really haven't pressed trading as supporting an army becomes foremost in the act of surviving.

You mean great-granddaughter?

You're right...I stand corrected...Evin's mother was Erin's daughter...so, that would make Evin Range's great-granddaughter.

Thank you...I made the change in the reply, and included a note stating it was corrected.

POLAND

2iw0vug.jpg

Part 2

The madman grows louder…and, he must be silenced.

Range was beside himself (if he hadn’t lost his mind) once he realized that his daughter Erin had died of old age. If not for a newcomer named Danek and for the ever sensible Alina, he would have killed Ulryk.

DANEK: Come back with me to the Facility.

ALINA: No…Listen to me…you can still save Erin…when this is all over my uncle can send you back to 1353.

EVIN: Listen to Alina…I do not trust this Danek…I have been warned by my grandmother your Erin that someone seeks to take your life.

Range was beset with rage when he saw Mandek enter the castle. As he barged past them and moved toward Mandek he demanded that he heeded him in no uncertain words.

RANGE: Mandek…if I ever hear you executing another prisoner that will be your last despicable act you ever do.

MANDEK: Does that also include mayors…like the mayor of Grunwald. And, don’t ever question what I think is right.

RANGE: Shall it be swords?

MANDEK: Do I look mad? This little Amazon’s brother became one of the greatest swordsmen of the world…and he taught you. How much more skilled have you become through your travels? No…I’ll wait until I have a good pistol to challenge you.

RANGE: It’s true…I’ve said, I’ve never had use for pistols…

Without anyone being the wiser, Ulryk had come up behind everyone.

ULRYK: (interrupting Range) There’s more to that than the eye can see Range… Mandek…don’t be a fool. Range here is as skilled with a pistol as he is with a sword…as my man Nicala in Casablanca might attest to…if he was still alive. You see, Range had a shootout with him. (Range shot Nicala in Morocco – Casablanca)

RANGE: Nicala worked for the Facility…

ULRYK: That’s true…but, he was also the reason why I was able to bring you here.

RANGE: …and, why Richard and Erin were trapped back in 1353…

ULRYK: Anything can be undone…just make certain that I remain alive long enough to undo what wrong I have caused.

With that Ulryk merely walked away, safe with the idea that Range would stay in line as long as he wanted to be reunited with his daughter and son.

EVIN: (whispered) I will stay at your side…to protect you.

RANGE: I don’t need protection…but, you need to get on with your life. Now, I’ve noticed how you’ve looked at Jurek and how he looks at you. Promise me…when the time comes you’ll return home with Jurek…as he’s a farmer and not a warrior.

It was time for another meeting of the commanders. Once, everyone had gathered in the great hall Ulryk shared with them their next move.

ULRYK: It has come to my attention that we have enemies everywhere. With the Teutonic Knights pretty much finished we must turn our gaze to the west…and to Pommerania…if all goes to plan both Meckenberg and The Teutonic Knights will come to Pommerania’s aid and fall into our trap.

RANGE: ARE YOU MAD? Right now, we’ve been able to rout the rebels that pop up everywhere, but if we go ahead with your plan…there won’t 5 or 6 thousand rebels in a province, there will 10 thousand or more rising up…

ULRYK: That might be so…but, I need you Range and Alina to set off to attack Pommerania immediately…Jurek will back you up… Klaudiusk…you will wait for the Teutonic Knights to make their move…you will strike and take out every province you can. The rest of you will hold back to deal with the rebels and any foreign intrusions into our land.

As Ulryk had predicted once Poland declared war on Pommerania, The Teutonic Knights and Meckenberg came into the war…with Saxony thrown in.

Lithuania came into the war on Poland’s side…everyone else sat this one out. Poland was quickly becoming a bad boy…causing Poland to lose a lot of reputation worldwide.

The Polish army was making points, but when Lithuania came arrived in force their foes quickly began to fall to wayside.

Saxony gave up first…

Saxony got off easy...paying 125 ducats to Poland to get out of the war.

The Teutonic Knights were next, ceding Eastland to Poland in exchange for peace. But, they weren't the prize...Mecklenburg and Pommerania were.

15cdafr.jpg

In the end neither Pommerania, nor Mecklenburg were a match for Poland and Lithuania.

np4a6p.jpg

That's Range on horseback, wielding a sword...holding a shield with a badger painted on it.

32ztds6.jpg

Mecklenburg settled for peace before Pommerania, even though both were soundly defeated.

Mandek fumed, mumbling to himself, “What’s taking so long for them to cede these lands?”

In the distance, he observed Evin and Jurek walking near a huge wheat field.

“Maybe I can help them to make up their minds. (calls out) Sergeant…mount the men with torches…we ride.”

25jczmb.jpg

By the edge of the large wheat field Evin and Jurek were admiring the wheat.

JUREK: You should see my father’s field…wheat as far as you can see and stalks that reach to the sky.

Evin laughed.

EVIN: Why did you leave?

JUREK: Adventure… (pause) I have been thinking about us…when this is over would you consider coming back with me.

EVIN: That’s impossible…they will not allow me to go to your time…besides I have a limited time to live.

JUEK: So, do I…back in my time.

Jurek, suddenly stared off and instantly became alarmed.

JUREK: He’s burning the wheat.

dzwhu9.jpg

In the council hall where Range was trying to hammer out Pommerania’s surrender, word came about the burning of the field.

POMMERANIAN COUNCILMAN: So, this is how you treat the vanquished…you will hear of our decision in the morning.

msoh8x.jpg

When Range arrived with the signed treaty, he went straight to the great hall. Everyone was there awaiting for him (except for Evin, Jurek and Klaudiusz).

RANGE: How’s Jurek?

ALINA: Fine…or someone that nearly had his skull cracked open…

Range walked over to Ulryk to hand him the treaty.

RANGE: It’s the same deal I gave Mecklenburg…Pommerania turns over its only province and its capital province becomes our vassal.

ULRYK: Good work…and, of course you have Mandek to thank in speeding up the process.

RANGE: Process, huh?

Range turned angrily and moved toward Mandek.

Mandek stood to be thanked. But, the act of thanking anyone was not on Range’s mind. No sooner had Range moved up to Mandek, he pushes into back into his chair.

RANGE: Sit down… (second thought) unless you’re entertaining thoughts of dueling…

Range waiting for a reply from Mandek, but none was coming.

RANGE: What was going through your thick head when you set that wheat field on fire. Don’t you understand a lot of people depend on that grain to live on?

MANDEK: I didn’t think…

RANGE: (cont) (interrupting) That’s the problem…you didn’t think. Then you nearly kill one of us. It makes me wonder what side you’re on. Right now there’s not many of this little army I trust…

Range then turned and continued to display his passions.

RANGE: Take Gordo here…

GORSKI: Gorski…

RANGE: Yeah, that’s right…you know that’s the first word I’ve ever heard you say. Besides your name I know nothing about you…not even where you hail from.

Range then turned to Danek.

RANGE: (cont) And, that brings me to you. You show up on the battle field one day and we’re supposed to welcome into our little band.

DANEK: I told you why I came…

RANGE: Yeah…but, what’s to say you’re on the up and up.

DANEK: Meaning?

RANGE: …Which side you’re on…mine or Ulryk’s. Well…no matter…you see I’m all through with taking orders…for now on I’m giving the orders.

Ulryk motions for Mandek to follow him into the next room.

MANDEK: The man has gone mad…

ULRYK: I believe our dear friend Range has outlived his usefulness.

MANDEK: You mean killing him…but, how?

ULRYK: As Range suspects there’s an assassin in our mitts.

A scrawny little man then stepped up to Ulryk and Mandek.

GIACOMO: Pardon my intrusion…my name is Giacomo.

Mandek stared at Ulryk in disbelief.

Later that night, as the blue moonlight lightly filtered into the bedroom...a shadowy figure slowly crept up to Range's bed.

To be continued:

Last edited:
It just a little taste of what is about to happen...

I think I have to add a little explanation of Novikov's theory...the basis to ULRYK's work...

No...Range was just having fun at Gorski's expense...if only to see what the big guy would do...I've used the bit once before in Riga - Range's Sabbatical (yeah sure)...have you noticed my titles aren't as long as they use to be. I find them much easier to remember.

Now, all I worry about is the occasional synapse malfunctions.

Last edited:
Poland

2iw0vug.jpg

Part 3

(CONT) The madman grows louder…and, he must be silenced.

29w2sk7.jpg

IN THE GREAT HALL – next morning

Ulryk called for an emergency meeting in the grand hall. Soon, with some in attendance, he appeared to become very agitated as he sat at the head of the table.

ULRYK: Has anyone seen Range this morning?

The others, seated along both sides of the table looked at one other, wondering if anyone had seen him.

A moment later, a familiar voice was heard.

RANGE: Was someone looking for me?

Ulryk was startled. Mandek was bewildered.

ALINA: (smirk) Ulryk was asking for you.

RANGE: I had business to tend to…you see I had a little visitor late last night…and, I just got finished burying him.

Range then got real personal (threatening) with Ulryk, cornering him in his chair.

RANGE: We need to talk you and I…let’s move to the next room…shall we?

STUDY – moments later

Range entered the room second, closing the door behind him.

Ulryk sought protection behind a chair and a desk.

ULRYK: (stuttering) Now, I know you want to kill me Range…but, listen to reason…

RANGE: I won’t kill you…just as you long as you play ball.

ULRYK: Anything Range…anything!

RANGE: I have sort of a proposition for you…in exchange for me not killing you.

ULRYK: Yes…yes?

BACK IN THE GREAT HALL – same time

Mandek was getting antsy. He started to get up, but stopped when he heard Alina speak up.

ALINA: Set down…you know how Range gets when he’s interrupted.

Mandek, wisely retook his seat.

ALINA: That’s a good boy.

BACK IN THE STUDY – same time

The tension had softened. Ulryk was now seated in the chair behind his desk (his hands folded).

Range is standing on the other side of the desk.

ULRYK: Let me get this straight…you want me to send to Jurek back up line…with Evin…but, why?

RANGE: They’re in love…as it now one can’t live without the other…if they both stay in this time…Evin will die while Jurek won’t age a day…

ULRYK: And, if they go back?

RANGE: Oh, they’ll go back all right…it’s a natural that two lovers grow old together.

ULRYK: Done…but, as for second part of your request…I don’t…

RANGE: There’s no room for haggling…it’s both, or my broadsword.

ULRYK: I wouldn’t dare haggle…seeing that you dispatched my assassin so easily. I did you know?

BACK IN THE GREAT HALL – seconds later

Ulryk entered first to address the commanders in attendance.

ULRYK: It has become necessary for me to appoint my successor. Don’t be alarmed…it is for the best. At that this time, I appoint Range for the post of…(to Range) What did you call the post?

Range standing back by the door, paused before answering.

RANGE: …Commander and Chief…

GIACOMO: Hail to the chief!

Alina turned to Giacomo

ALINA: Quiet you, before we dig another grave…and stick you in it alive.

GIACOMO: Tough room…

Range had moved to the head of the table. He stared a Gorski momentarily before speaking.

RANGE: You know Gorski, I first thought it was you sneaking into my room last night…instead it was Danek.

GORSKI: You sound surprised…

RANGE: If I hedged my bet I would have lost. (to everyone) We’re going to start doing things differently around here…my way…oh, we’re still going to make Poland a great country but we’re going to pick our enemies as well as our friends more carefully.

Also, we have to be wise with the little funds we have:

Trading will limited – in time maybe dropped entirely.

With Poland being a poor country…Research is the key – National Idea first…

308ic0m.jpg

Instead of trading we’ll put our funds into research. Everything all at once into one category, everything else zeroed out.

• Land – for better armies first
• Then Production – for more funds
• Third, Government – More national ideas
• Fourth Navy – to keep our enemies (Sweden and Norway and Denmark) to the north caged up to the north.
• Then, it starts all over again…with land…

• As for our armies – we’ll break them into armies, two large battle groups here in the west and two smaller armies to the west with Klaudiusz.

I’ll be traveling to see Klaudiusz in the next few days…I’m leaving Alina in charge in my absence.

If anyone has any objections, or anything to add let’s hear them now before I end this meeting…because I don’t want to hear any guff when I return. Is that clear?

Everyone in the room agreed.

nd1mdx.jpg

Two men then came into the room carrying a large painting of the First Partition (Poland Falls).

RANGE: Burn this picture into your minds...as a reminder, and swear an oath that this will not happen to Poland if you have anything to do with it...

Alina turned away in tears as they swore an oath.

RANGE: Oh, one more thing we have a new member to our family…this is GIACOMO…a troubadour, actor and also our eyes and ears in other countries as well as Poland. You can trust him…believe me, you can trust him…I learned that last night.

When Range traveled to meet with Klaudiusz, he was dismayed to learned that Denmark had invaded The Teutonic Knights province of Livland with just a token force.

(The Teutonic Knights were not able to rescue the province as they could not cross over Polish and allied held provinces to relieve Livland.

Range, fearing that the Riga was also in danger of falling to the Norsemen, ordered Klaudiusz to break off relations with Riga and declare war on them.

21e6f4o.jpg

RANGE: Invade our lands will they…well, we’ll stop them…if need be we’ll declare war on all three of the…Vikings...this is Polish land they seek to make theirs.

34gkncg.jpg

Last edited:
Assassins vs Range. Bah, how you would you run a want ad for that position.
"Tired of the same old targets? Tired of helping spouses dispose of spouses and unwanted complications in your surburban hitman experience. If you're looking for a challenge we have one for you. Hard to kill, seemingly virtual immortal stuck downtime in Krakow. Good luck and cash on delivery of head"