• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Had some time today and worked on the Poland file.

Added events for the Standard Reformation, the Akadamie Krakow and an event as a precursor to the reformation about cosmopolitan Polish society.

Events & monarch file are good to me , the leader file had some bugs :
some leaders live too long , Herbert Zyndram Traba is general and second time is explorer with difrent b&d dates , as far i remember i was suggesting
"Janusz z Koła" as explorer.
My name is misspeled again :( :( :(
Im very happy that i pushed polish cause forward :) :) :)

Events & monarch file are good to me , the leader file had some bugs :
some leaders live too long , Herbert Zyndram Traba is general and second time is explorer with difrent b&d dates , as far i remember i was suggesting
"Janusz z Koła" as explorer.
My name is misspeled again :( :( :(
Im very happy that i pushed polish cause forward :) :) :)

The building of a file for Poland is certainly long overdue. These things always need a champion. Sometimes the push comes from me, sometimes because other whine till they get my attention. :D

I have been really enjoying writing the file and reading about Polish history, which is NOTHING like I imagined. Poland and polish history - like that of other countries east of Germany - are assumed to be backward here in other western countries. It has been great to see how enlightened Poland has been and what a leader it was in Europe, right up until it was dismembered by Russia et al (with the aid of its own selfish, blind upper-nobility). Of course, it wasn't all good: the repression of peasants within Poland and the Ukraine was certainly not something to be proud of, but it also wasn't alone in this. Anyway, I just hope that my alternate history captures some of the spirit of the country and gives players the option to rework its direction.

I'll make the changes you have mentioned, Varcilascuschas.

I need a Polish tranlsation for:

The Great Uncrowned King

Matty

I have been really enjoying writing the file and reading about Polish history, which is NOTHING like I imagined. Poland and polish history - like that of other countries east of Germany - are assumed to be backward here in other western countries.

great. now move down to the balkans and just north of this area, will be whileworty based on what you express above:D

"Uncrowned King" ? - what you mean by that ?

Kowalski's popular title will be "the King that was never King". For someone to become a king there is a ceremony, which is called the 'crowning' and we say "he was crowned king on June 16 1327" or somesuch.

Kowlaski is never king of Poland, but becomes so in the hearts of many, so I thought that might be a good 'unofficial title' for him "the uncrowned king".

Some version of that in Polish would be great.

Almost done the file to 1675.

Matty

Kowalski's popular title will be "the King that was never King". For someone to become a king there is a ceremony, which is called the 'crowning' and we say "he was crowned king on June 16 1327" or somesuch.

Kowlaski is never king of Poland, but becomes so in the hearts of many, so I thought that might be a good 'unofficial title' for him "the uncrowned king".

Some version of that in Polish would be great.

Almost done the file to 1675.

Matty
It would be "Wielki nieukoronowany król " (Respectively - Wielki - Great, nieukuronowany - Uncrowned, Król - king). The capital letters here are not really needed though, we Poles don't really use them that much. It's up to you anyway, but even if this is supposed to be an event name, then I'd leave it without capital letters - it'd really look silly for someone who uses our language (and cares for orthography, which unfortunately doesn't seem to happen all too often among Polish players, judging by what one can see at EUFI :eek:o).

So, has anyone had a chance to play Poland?

How are the events? Their timing and effects?

Has anyone played and seen Poland re-emerge as a reformed state?

Did it go beserk under Kowalski?

So, has anyone had a chance to play Poland?

How are the events? Their timing and effects?

Has anyone played and seen Poland re-emerge as a reformed state?

Did it go beserk under Kowalski?

not yet(the small mp did not take much interest in poland)
however in 2 out of my 3 sp tryouts poland got annexed by hungary early on(diplo) and again a huge hungarian blob, hehehe.

-bohemia did not go reformed(hus related) in ANYof my recent games...

not yet(the small mp did not take much interest in poland)
however in 2 out of my 3 sp tryouts poland got annexed by hungary early on(diplo) and again a huge hungarian blob, hehehe.

Did Hungary get the reform related revolts? They wouldn't if they were reformed themselves, of course.
-bohemia did not go reformed(hus related) in ANYof my recent games...

Along with the Alt reformation, I will be checking through this sequence this week.

Matty,
a little issue that I should have mentioned earlier, but decided to do only now. It has to do with your great Kowalski sequence. And, to be exact, with the guy that it's all about. The issue is a minor one, and of course you could disregard it (for it may very well be just my biased opinion), but I'd be grateful if you could read give it a bit of thought nevertheless.

The problem is - the name itself, 'Kowalski'.
1) it is a rather modern name that almost certainly didn't appear before the 18th, or even 19th, century. No well-known person in Poland was called so before the 2nd half of the 19th century.
2) although the suffix '-ski' would suggest that someone, say, a century ago, called by that surname, was a nobleman (the same with '-cki'), the stem 'kowal-' implicates something completely different - the word 'kowal' in Polish means 'blacksmith' in English - a nobleman would certainly never be called so!
3) 'Kowalski' in present-day Poland is the second most popular surname in our country. It is the synonym of 'a typical Pole', and of the English 'Smith' or 'Johnson'. Therefore it just... doesn't quite sound as cool, to a Pole (well, to me at least).

If I were to suggest another name, it would be one of the names of the great Polish generals of that time, e.g. (Jan) Zamoyski (matching time period - end of the 16th century), Tarnowski, Sieniawski, Dunin, Zebrzydowski, or just one of the more common noble names of that time, ususally derived from the name of the place (city/castle/manor) that their family possessed: Zborowski, Kamieniecki, Chodecki, Jarosławski, Lanckoroński, Lubomirski.

Matty,
a little issue that I should have mentioned earlier, but decided to do only now. It has to do with your great Kowalski sequence. And, to be exact, with the guy that it's all about. The issue is a minor one, and of course you could disregard it (for it may very well be just my biased opinion), but I'd be grateful if you could read give it a bit of thought nevertheless.

The problem is - the name itself, 'Kowalski'.
1) it is a rather modern name that almost certainly didn't appear before the 18th, or even 19th, century. No well-known person in Poland was called so before the 2nd half of the 19th century.
2) although the suffix '-ski' would suggest that someone, say, a century ago, called by that surname, was a nobleman (the same with '-cki'), the stem 'kowal-' implicates something completely different - the word 'kowal' in Polish means 'blacksmith' in English - a nobleman would certainly never be called so!
3) 'Kowalski' in present-day Poland is the second most popular surname in our country. It is the synonym of 'a typical Pole', and of the English 'Smith' or 'Johnson'. Therefore it just... doesn't quite sound as cool, to a Pole (well, to me at least).

If I were to suggest another name, it would be one of the names of the great Polish generals of that time, e.g. (Jan) Zamoyski (matching time period - end of the 16th century), Tarnowski, Sieniawski, Dunin, Zebrzydowski, or just one of the more common noble names of that time, ususally derived from the name of the place (city/castle/manor) that their family possessed: Zborowski, Kamieniecki, Chodecki, Jarosławski, Lanckoroński, Lubomirski.

The name was suggested by one of the other Polish players, so I don't have a personal attachment to it and I am happy to change it.

I thought it was a cool name only from an English-language perspective, because Stanley Kowalski is the character from the famous Tennessee Williams play "A Streetcar Named Desire" which was made into a film starring Marlon Brando. It was one of his iconic performances. Everyone else in the film was awesome, too.

Like Kowalski in modern day Poland, this Kowalski represented the archetypal "polack", Polish American immigrant.

I will change it, but I don't want to use Tarnowski, because that's already another leader in the game, as is Zamoyski. I like Dunin, because it sounds a little different. Could you suggest a first name?

Thanks for the comments, and please feel free to ask for changes to any other aspect of the file.

Matty

Zbigniew Dunin! And maybe Krk can explain how it's pronounced, 'cause to a Dutch-speaker that's a real tongue twister...

alternatively:
Danny Dunin

Hilarious, because I was going to suggest Zbigniew, myself, although I wonder if it, too, is a more modern name.

Hilarious, because I was going to suggest Zbigniew, myself, although I wonder if it, too, is a more modern name.
It is, apparently, a very old name, present in the Polish language at least from the 12th century (Zbigniew was an older brother of Bolesław III Krzywousty, famous for being banished by Bolesław after a few years (1102-1107) of co-rule, and later blinded). You might also remember the name Zbigniew Oleśnicki from the Polish files for A4K that I prepared, a Polish bishop of Krakow and cardinal in the 15th century, a very prominent figure in RL history of Poland during the reign of Jagiełło and his son Władysław, for whom Oleśnicki was a regent. Incidentally, Zbigniew is also the name of my father.

I think this first name is very good one. Dunin is a good choice as well - the real-live Piotr Dunin was a successful and talented leader of the Polish forces in the second part of the Thirteen Years' War between Poland and the TO in 1454-1466. He was, in fact, responsible for the favourable outcome of it for Poland. One could descend our Zbigniew Dunin from him. Another nice coincidence is that a certain Stanisław Dunin (2nd half of the 17th century) was a member of the Reformed church, which suggests that at least parts of his family had been as well before him.

BTW, the pronunciation of the name is /ˈzbigɲɛf duɲin/.

It is, apparently, a very old name, present in the Polish language at least from the 12th century (Zbigniew was an older brother of Bolesław III Krzywousty, famous for being banished by Bolesław after a few years (1102-1107) of co-rule, and later blinded). You might also remember the name Zbigniew Oleśnicki from the Polish files for A4K that I prepared, a Polish bishop of Krakow and cardinal in the 15th century, a very prominent figure in RL history of Poland during the reign of Jagiełło and his son Władysław, for whom Oleśnicki was a regent. Incidentally, Zbigniew is also the name of my father.

I think this first name is very good one. Dunin is a good choice as well - the real-live Piotr Dunin was a successful and talented leader of the Polish forces in the second part of the Thirteen Years' War between Poland and the TO in 1454-1466. He was, in fact, responsible for the favourable outcome of it for Poland. One could descend our Zbigniew Dunin from him. Another nice coincidence is that a certain Stanisław Dunin (2nd half of the 17th century) was a member of the Reformed church, which suggests that at least parts of his family had been as well before him.

BTW, the pronunciation of the name is /ˈzbigɲɛf duɲin/.

Perfect.

I shall also add Piotr to the leaders list for Poland, and Stanislaw as an optional leader is Zbigniew is awoken.

Thanks, this has been great.

Perfect.

I shall also add Piotr to the leaders list for Poland, and Stanislaw as an optional leader is Zbigniew is awoken.

Thanks, this has been great.
In case you don't know, Piotr Dunin is included in AGCEEP, with stats 3-2-3-1, active in the years1461-1484. I'd make him similar to that.