• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dianno5741

Second Lieutenant
39 Badges
Jun 5, 2017
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
Im sure this post will generate a lot of eye rolls from various people, but I was curious of what the community would think if we changed how the front line mechanic worked.

What I wanted to try was a WGRD system of zones and no all seeing frontline. I’m not sure of a solution for zones that wouldn’t involve CMD units, I don’t think we want CMD sniping. I was curious if people might think fighting over zones or points without a frontline to give away units would be welcomed? Think VP points from CoH2.

It would be a step towards WGRD, sure, but is that so bad?

Im sure this post will generate a lot of eye rolls from various people, but I was curious of what the community would think if we changed how the front line mechanic worked.

What I wanted to try was a WGRD system of zones and no all seeing frontline. I’m not sure of a solution for zones that wouldn’t involve CMD units, I don’t think we want CMD sniping. I was curious if people might think fighting over zones or points without a frontline to give away units would be welcomed? Think VP points from CoH2.

It would be a step towards WGRD, sure, but is that so bad?

Its "bad" because there arent many WRD players except Duro and few others left who play SD44 so you basically just write "your death sentences" typing here about WRD(insert here S.Park getouttahere.gif). :).
Its a whole new community and the game is 1 year old,pretty sure the Frontline System wont be changed.

There is only hope that U*Gen introduces different Point scoring mechanisms for their next game where there wont be 1 way to play the game,hurra lets go straight forward on a small map and hip hip hurray one can always see where the enemy is.

Killing sneaking around and flank plays is one of the big reasons for me to not enjoy SD44.

The idea is to implement something to fix the 51% +1 Meta people don’t like. Also few others noted they disagreed with the frontline giving away so much information.

Eugen said it themselves that they are willing to listen to these ideas. Short of WGRD Cold War scenario why couldn’t we implement a zone system while solving the issue of needing a CMD?

We were gonna test our vehicles in hedges, why not this?

I still have nightmares about command sniping. And how my brain can't make out the logic out of it. The frontline in SD can lead to some weird situations where you can guess there is an ennemy unit somewhere, and that's about it.

In WRD, the war is won once the ennemy overpriced commands are dead. Because apparently, a command jeep costs the prince of two T-55 for some reason, and you can't send reinforcements if you don't got one, precisely on arbitrary areas on the border of the map. Which one exactly, the ennemy is immediately aware of, through some dark witchcraft, as are the areas granting points in the middle of the map.

No, I still have nightmares about command vehicles in Wargame, for that reason only (although there are many others), I can't play these games anymore.

For the 51% problem, just make it 52-53% like in close combat mode, and it'll be ok.

Breakthrough already kinda is about zone capturing so having something like king of the hill implemented for lets say saint mere eglise shouldnt be that hard. Would be fun to play. Most likely unbalanced but fun. Doesnt need to many maps but like 3 maps with 1-3 points would be cool :)
I would say it should be small zones and as long as both players have any inf (I would say jsut inf should be able to capture) in there it stays neutral. As soon as just one player has a unit in there he gets +1 point. If he controlls 2 points +3 if 3 points +5 per second.

Always in for new game modes and stuff. The basic mode should stick with front line system as this is what the game is build and balanced around.

Sd maps on it self are too small for the Zone size of WG RD though and with the phase system and so on I dont THink copying it directly from WG would work well.

Last edited:
I still have nightmares about command sniping. And how my brain can't make out the logic out of it. The frontline in SD can lead to some weird situations where you can guess there is an ennemy unit somewhere, and that's about it.

In WRD, the war is won once the ennemy overpriced commands are dead. Because apparently, a command jeep costs the prince of two T-55 for some reason, and you can't send reinforcements if you don't got one, precisely on arbitrary areas on the border of the map. Which one exactly, the ennemy is immediately aware of, through some dark witchcraft, as are the areas granting points in the middle of the map.

No, I still have nightmares about command vehicles in Wargame, for that reason only (although there are many others), I can't play these games anymore.

I remember Madmat explaining people like you who have nightmares about CV sniping and the logic behind it many years ago that CVs are like your Commanders and when you put him the Sector you do everything to protect him,you dont put him in obvious places like 90% of people do,dont leave him alone unprotected and if he dies you lose that Sector,if you lose all your Commanders the game is over,the moral of the army is down,there is no one to command them,paranoya spreads,GG no re.

Cvs prices have also been put down from 250 in W:EE to 110+ in W:RD,if you play Conquest you get 100 points without blinking your eyes and can replace it ;).

I like the frontline system.
The sector system in Wargame was not bad at all, but it dictated you how to play the map.
In SD you can decide yourself what would be the objectives for you, where to hold and where to fall back.
The final objective is always obvious - hold more land than your enemy.

The dynamic frontline mechanic is imho the single best improvement SD44 has made over the Wargame formula. The Closer Combat scoring rules should be ported to Conquest to fix the 51% to Win issue, but the system itself is solid and allows for a much greater variety of strategies. The sector system in Wargame makes every game more or less a repeat of every other match on that map because each sector has designated strong points which must be secured to win. In Steel Division, the strong points are created organically by the players deciding where to position their units to push the overall frontline forward. It reduces chokepoints and meat grinds, opens up a wider variety of tactical options for the different divisions, and completely eliminates CV sniping as a game winning strategy. If a sector system was added to the game you'd never see a single game of it played from me.

I remember Madmat explaining people like you who have nightmares about CV sniping and the logic behind it many years ago that CVs are like your Commanders and when you put him the Sector you do everything to protect him,you dont put him in obvious places like 90% of people do,dont leave him alone unprotected and if he dies you lose that Sector,if you lose all your Commanders the game is over,the moral of the army is down,there is no one to command them,paranoya spreads,GG no re.
I... don't think you are really answering to my issues... But I wasn't really asking for an answer, so whatever...

My only complaint about the front line system is how it reacts in real time to the destruction or moral damage of units. Instead of using recon to determine if a push can be continued one can simply glance at the line to make an informed decision. I wish it would be less useful for relaying tactical information and could instead just be used as a strategic incentive.

von Luck

I find the frontline system enjoyable enough, good even. What it lacks is some form of fog of war, an intermediate phase between blue and red. Combination of capture points and frontlike somehow.