• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok, new release of Pagan, Muslim, and Additional Mercs Mod:

PMM Version 1.1 said:
CHANGELOG - VERSION 1.1:
-All dates should now be playable and convert correctly!
-Fixed Magreb_Arabic shiite error
-Fixed Sunni conversion event text error
-Fixed error with Holy formation event notification firing every time game was loaded
-Added Sunni Holy Order: The Devotees of the True Prophet
-Added 4 new mercenary groups: three near the horn of Africa, and one in Muslim Iberia
-Significantly improved coding for conversion event

PMM MAIN FEATURES:
-All pagan characters playable from main menu
-All muslim characters playable from main menu
-New Holy Orders for non-Christian factions
-Balanced Holy Orders
-New "budget" mercenary bands of 500-1000 troops
-More mercenary bands for areas with a lack of mercenaries

File here: http://www.mediafire.com/?iqyxuquji1orysv

If you already have the mod just paste it over the old one, should be save game compatible.

New version out:

PMM 1.2 said:
CHANGELOG - VERSION 1.2:
-Added new building: African Warrior Cult - Exist in Orthodox Ethiopian territories only to help give them a fighting chance down in the horn of Africa
-Changed Abyssinia/Axum/Nubian rulers to be brothers from same dynasty
-Added 8 new mercenary bands

DOWNLOAD: PMM Mod v1.2

No they're not. For instance, a Sunni character will show up on the main screen as "Moslem Sunni", and will allow you to play as them. Then, when the game begins an event will fire for them converting them to their correct religion.

Unless the mod is not installed correctly/multiple mods are ran at the same time.

No they're not. For instance, a Sunni character will show up on the main screen as "Moslem Sunni", and will allow you to play as them. Then, when the game begins an event will fire for them converting them to their correct religion.

Unless the mod is not installed correctly/multiple mods are ran at the same time.
Okay, has to be a bug. Paradox has changed the way of loading mods and messed with the way I launch.

Yeah at the beginning their courts are pretty sparse, however, it seems the AI will invite people in if they can't find people to marry/fill councilor positions. Then as people get married and have kids they fill out, so within one generation there are usually plenty of pagan/muslim characters.

This by far is my favorite mod; it simply makes factions more playable, especially from the horn of Africa.

Since pagans and zoroastrians can't declare holy war, I'd edit the religion.txt file to add in crusade_cb = crusade after the graphical culture if you would want to make a Norse pagan declare holy war in the name of the norse pagan gods or if you want to make a Tengriist declare holy war for the glory of the sky god.

It seems that there is also a maximum number of buildings that can be built in a settlement. So Cumans and Pechenegs can build mounted archers, but not warrior cults. It also seems as if cultural buildings take precedence over religious buildings. So if I had an English Cathar character, he could only build Archery ranges but not warrior cults.

Since the Pechenegs get steamrollered usually by Hungary or the russian principalities, they could have less heavy infantry but a warrior cult-like building that gives them more light cavalry and horse archers.

is it possible to convert to norse paganism, if you start as chrisian, for example as duke of iceland? If yes, how?

You could use the console and type in: religion norse_pagan and enter.

Last edited:
You could do as bloodmerchant says, or if you're more patient, send your kids to be educated by someone Norse. They usually pick up their religion and when they come to power, viola! I believe there are still a handful of Norwegian and Danish characters around at game start you could send them to to educate them.

Alternately, you can mod the game files to change the guy you want to play to Norse. Find the character and change his religion to pagan_norse. This will allow you to pick him from the main menu, and then the event should fire converting him to Norse proper.

The reason I don't have holy war CB's for pagans is the Cumans tend to go hogwild with it. I prefer to see the pagans have a more defensive role. That being said, I'd like to give them some sort of CB against Christian neighbors, but one not as powerful as Holy War.

You could do as bloodmerchant says, or if you're more patient, send your kids to be educated by someone Norse. They usually pick up their religion and when they come to power, viola! I believe there are still a handful of Norwegian and Danish characters around at game start you could send them to to educate them.

Alternately, you can mod the game files to change the guy you want to play to Norse. Find the character and change his religion to pagan_norse. This will allow you to pick him from the main menu, and then the event should fire converting him to Norse proper.

The reason I don't have holy war CB's for pagans is the Cumans tend to go hogwild with it. I prefer to see the pagans have a more defensive role. That being said, I'd like to give them some sort of CB against Christian neighbors, but one not as powerful as Holy War.

I've found it pretty balanced AI-wise to change the religion not allowed to wage Holy War from all pagans to just tengri pagans. If you're the player, however, warrior cult + holy war doesn't scale well - I want to cap warrior cults somehow but I don't know how. (I restrict warrior cult to same religion/culture provinces, which helps slow it down, but culture and religion both spread. It's probably something obvious, too.)

Last edited:
^^I'm afraid I wouldn't know how to mod the game to play republics. I'm pretty sure dying with no heir is hardcoded as an auto-lose scenario.

I've found it pretty balanced AI-wise to change the religion not allowed to wage Holy War from all pagans to just tengri pagans. If you're the player, however, warrior cult + holy war doesn't scale well - I want to cap warrior cults somehow but I don't know how. (I restrict warrior cult to same religion/culture provinces, which helps slow it down, but culture and religion both spread. It's probably something obvious, too.)

Well one balancing thing I've done is give each pagan subreligion a Holy Order it can hire, so even though they don't have Holy War CB, they do have significant defensive resources, between Warrior Cults and their Holy Order. I also implemented the "only neighbors may declare holy war" fix so that also slows down Christian blobbing in the baltic. Offensively though, the Pagans don't have many ways to expand beyond the usual slow CB mission generation.

I took a look at the Raid CB for Pagans someone wrote and its a good idea but I feel like it might be better as an event that steals gold/prestige and has a chance of generating a county claim than a CB type.

as for pagan holy warriors, perhaps diffrent bands of Beserkers?

I am also curious if it is possible to have an event where you lose buildings? to simiulate raiding, you could lose money and perhaps have a small chance of getting a building damaged and you have to rebuild it. though I do like your idea for the raid CB.