• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Therion

Field Marshal
21 Badges
Sep 7, 2006
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
Probably you are wrong. If you check the map at your link you will see that the Swedish part of Karelia according to Treaty of Nöteborg was Viborg (bigger part of Karelian Isthmus represented Viipuri province), while the rest of West Karelia remained part of Novgorod/Russia until the Treaty of Stolbovo.
After rereading the link I posted, I agree with you. Sweden only gained Viborg with the Treaty of Nöteborg and Karjala with the Treaty of Stolbovo. So Karjala will start under Novgorod. City name will be Korela under Novgorod/Russia, then Kexholm once under Sweden. I plan to use persistent events to check ownership and change city names...

Do we need to include a tag for the Kalmar Union? Would this create some unbalances due to the extention of the new united country?

Here is the old eu2 agceep thread.

The Norwegian colonies in Nordland and Finnmark, and the Swedish colonies in Lappland and Lappi, have a tendency to collapse. I guess it's because of random events, given that the natives have no aggression, but it happens consistently to at least 2 of the aforementioned provinces in every game I play. This wouldn't be a problem if NOR and SWE actually recolonized them when they lost them, but the usual result is that MOS swoops in and colonizes them mere months after SWE or NOR lost them.

NOR refusing to send colonists there also results in issues when DAN inherits them later, as Nordland and Finnmark will then end up with Danish culture more often than not. (Not sure if DAN's AI usually decides to colonize them, but a human player generally will. Looks silly with Danish culture that far north.)

The most obvious solution is to make them cities with 1000 population. The population levels would be somewhat ahistorical, but at least it would be less ahistorical than thousands of Russians or Danes randomly deciding to settle there.

Iceland's population also seems way too low. True, a large portion of the population died of the plague around the time EU2 starts, but I don't think it was reduced to only 500. It should at the very least be a city-tier province.

The Norwegian colonies in Nordland and Finnmark, and the Swedish colonies in Lappland and Lappi, have a tendency to collapse. I guess it's because of random events, given that the natives have no aggression, but it happens consistently to at least 2 of the aforementioned provinces in every game I play. This wouldn't be a problem if NOR and SWE actually recolonized them when they lost them, but the usual result is that MOS swoops in and colonizes them mere months after SWE or NOR lost them.

I see no problem there - if a colony fails everyone who knows the province, and borders it or has a port, is free to try colonizing it. NOR and SWE still have cores on the province and can try to reconquer it as soon as it´s colonized by MOS or anyone else.

NOR refusing to send colonists there also results in issues when DAN inherits them later, as Nordland and Finnmark will then end up with Danish culture more often than not. (Not sure if DAN's AI usually decides to colonize them, but a human player generally will. Looks silly with Danish culture that far north.)

Why? NOR was part of Denmark for nearly 300 years and in that case it doesn´t matter if Denmark can rule it because of DAN having norwegian culture or the province having danish culture.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark–Norway
That would only be interesting if in a game Sweden actually receives Norway nearly at the end of the games timeframe after the napoleonic wars.

The most obvious solution is to make them cities with 1000 population. The population levels would be somewhat ahistorical, but at least it would be less ahistorical than thousands of Russians or Danes randomly deciding to settle there.

There would be no difference to a game where Russia actually conquers those provinces from Norway or Sweden and then sends colonists there to make them russian. However that "obvious" solution you offer is none at all because with that reasoning we would have to make *every* colony or trading post a fully developed province in case the wrong country would conquer or recolonize it.

Iceland's population also seems way too low. True, a large portion of the population died of the plague around the time EU2 starts, but I don't think it was reduced to only 500. It should at the very least be a city-tier province.

Population in EU2/FtG is not the number of people historically living in a province. Else numbers in the whole world would be far too low. Consider the population number ingame more like "number of hearths", "households" or "number of taxpayers" instead of single beings.