• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We go latin?

Mod name: Plus Ultra Charles V's motto

or the inflated HSQMYP

or Renovatio Europae

is it correct? I am no latinist...

Last edited:
I like Plus Ultra!

"For Earl Rosenthal, author of The Palace of Charles V in Granada (1985), the motto is closely associated with the Pillars of Hercules, which according to Greek mythology were built by Hercules, near the Straits of Gibraltar, marking the edge of the then known world. According to mythology the pillars bore the warning Nec plus ultra (also Non plus ultra, "nothing further beyond"), serving as a warning to sailors and navigators to go no further."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_ultra_(motto)

It captures the spirit of the age: adventure, exploration, enterpreneurship and the Faustian urge to move beyond and overcome one's traditional boundaries.

I like Plus Ultra!

"For Earl Rosenthal, author of The Palace of Charles V in Granada (1985), the motto is closely associated with the Pillars of Hercules, which according to Greek mythology were built by Hercules, near the Straits of Gibraltar, marking the edge of the then known world. According to mythology the pillars bore the warning Nec plus ultra (also Non plus ultra, "nothing further beyond"), serving as a warning to sailors and navigators to go no further."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_ultra_(motto)

It captures the spirit of the age: adventure, exploration, enterpreneurship and the Faustian urge to move beyond and overcome one's traditional boundaries.
"Metz plus ultra" when Charles V failed to besiege the city of Metz... :cool:

So, three votes for "Plus Ultra" until now, it is leading... ;-)

What about French version: "Plus Oultre"?

That seems to be the original motto translated into Latin... as much as the German "wes der Fürst, des der Glaub' " for "cuius regio, eius religio"...

"Plus Ultra" sounds like "Ultimate SuperSize Venti Grande", but maybe that's just me. ;)

But really, anything other than WAGCEEP would be a vast improvement. I don't even like the names WATKABAOI or AGCEEP to begin with.
<chant>No more weird abbreviations! No more weird abbreviations!</chant>

Now that you mention it, it does sound quite like that...

Perhaps the connotation would somewhat diminish in the medieval rendering of u: PLVS VLTRA

as in:
220px-Escudo_de_Espa%C3%B1a_(mazonado).svg.png

Mondo gloria