• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The portraits at the very least need to be made moddable, but I've been asking if you could get a way to define how many families they have ever since it was mentioned in a DD for TR that "unhardcoding" it would be very easy, and nothing has happened. I think Paradox has just accepted that the Merchant Republics will always be an unmoddable mess that breaks with the design goals of CK2, and hope that we will also eventually accept that this particular fuckup will never be fixed.

I am going to assume (could be 100% wrong) but based on some of the dev comments one of the reasons they haven't done this yet (along with other things that might be theoretically easy) is that a lot of other issues could easily/probably will come up since being played that way was never tested. Not trying to defend that choice, but just attempting to be devil's advocate from a dev pov.

Yes, mjohnson85, it is really probable that your hypothesis is right but I'd like to have a developer opinion on these issues if possible (but they seems to ignore this thread, why?).

@Haccoude at least the portraits should be moddable but not only thems, in the end we have paid good moneys for that DLC and as they give modding support one could expect that should have been moddable, right? If they hope we forgot this they are wrong, sorry :rofl:

I would agree with the OP. As the developer of MRAOF, it's impossible for me to add in the Radhanite Jews in all of their historical locations. There's no option to build land locked trade posts or family palaces.

Reactions:
A way there is but it is a kludge! If your inland Republics are near rivers you could make the river navigable and then add ports for example there was a mod that had Florence as a Republic using this trick, you could make a similar thing for the Ambrosian Republic, but if your Republic is not near a river... well you are f*cked!

@markmid

In that post some of these issues were present but in a sparse way and by the way I practically never got a satisfactory response... I hoped opening a new thread to have more visibility but apparently I had no success as no Paradox developer has answered...

I add a link to this one in that post just in case.

Last edited:
A way there is but it is a kludge! If your inland Republics are near rivers you could make the river navigable and then add ports for example there was a mod that had Florence as a Republic using this trick, you could make a similar thing for the Ambrosian Republic, but if your Republic is not near a river... well you are f*cked!

@markmid

In that post some of these issues were present but in a sparse way and by the way I practically never got a satisfactory response... I hoped opening a new thread to have more visibility but apparently I had no success as no Paradox developer has answered...

I add a link to this one in that post just in case.
Wow! How do I do that? I think it's fair to say that most of inland republics were based around river trade.

I've not tried but, practically, you need to make a river considered a sea and so navigable and that so it could have ports, you add ports in the inland provinces you like and you could have your inland Republic. You could do this for Florence making the Arno a sea, Milan making the Po a sea, they did with Novgrod in HIP/SWHM too (creating a fake sea I fear).

Here a mod that sadly uses SWHM instead of vanilla map to add a Republic of Florence:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...nze-SubMod-vCK2.0-HIP-GENERAL-OVERHAUL-SUBMOD

but it does not solve the problem for republic that was really inland as the Republic as, for example Cordoba or if you simulate a Republic in the desert that commerce from Oasis to Oasis or on the silk road...

So, stupid question: Couldn't paradox crowd-source a version with improved modability? CK2 has a huge modding community. Offer a character in-game that's a copy of you, a shout-out in the credits, and maybe a few other things that don't cost much but are cool, and you could get the dlc re-written given some time.

So, stupid question: Couldn't paradox crowd-source a version with improved modability? CK2 has a huge modding community. Offer a character in-game that's a copy of you, a shout-out in the credits, and maybe a few other things that don't cost much but are cool, and you could get the dlc re-written given some time.

They'd have to release the source code for the game for that to be modified. However, that's a terrible idea from a business standpoint, since it would mean that other people could compile the game and distribute it for free or sell it illegally.

Yes I hope that if the developers see a lot of page here they in some way react.
If one would be totally correct some of the points I've presented in OP could be considered bugs (the not moddable Patrician portraits is a bug) and so they should be fixed in a free patch but if they need a money incentive they could release a new DLC regarding the inland Republics in which they could fix all the bug, hardcoding and so on...

Dont forget the many bugs still with the Republic DLC, that were never fixed, ex: when a family member go to another republic and create a house, you loose your familial manor (or the AI looses its own).

If you have not already done I suggest you to do these two things:

1. Try to reproduce the bug (you could use the console to move a member of your dynasty to the court of another Merchant Republic and then start to kill all member of a Patrician family until the member of your family is chosen as new head of a house. Now check what's happened to your original palace). Update that thread if it the case adding the steps to reproduce the bug, a save game and any possible information you could find
  2. Add a gently reminder in the 2.3.4 patch thread: this bug cannot continue to exist! If it is so "The Republic" is not only unmoddable but unplayable too...

There other cases in which a Republic could become unplayable right? I remember for example that if a your heir has an higher title and this title is feudal when he inherits the Republic he effectively transforming it in a Monarchy destroying all the Palaces, trade posts and Republican families.
In these thread talking of the bugs of "The Republic" is probably OT but I suggest to take the occasion to remind them of all the possible bugs as they want release a bug fixing patch we should take the occasion! So if you have seen one please look if it is reported in the bug forum, if not add it and add a link in the 2.3.4 post...

Last edited: