• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jul 16, 2007
Hi, my friend and I want to play DV online. So I'm behind a router and I read the read on ports to open and such, so I opened the ports it stated too. I may have done something wrong, cause it never wants to connect and always says "Game not found!" even when we try via Valkryinet or however you spell it. I also have DMZ enabled, so I can't figure out what the problem is. The only port I seem to have difficulty opening is the TCP one rather than the TCP/UDP ones. Example being if I go to my router's settings I can't figure out much of a way to open the TCP ports.

Is there any specific ports I have to forward? It can't be utterlly impossible for us to play online, can it? :(

--EDIT I--

I forgot to mention I opened the TCP "manually" though Windows firewall just to be safe.

You will need to open (forward) all ports required for DirectPlay, as described in the MSKB: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240429

TCP port 47624
TCP/UDP ports 2300-2400

Refer to your router's manual on how to do this. You should have some option for 'port forwarding' on the router's control page (website) -- enter your computer's local IP address, the protocol (TCP or UDP), and the ports in question. If it requires a range, use 47624-47624 for the TCP only port, and 2300-2400 for the TCP and UDP ports.

If you can't find it in the manual, post here what your router's brand is and if you know it, what the firmware for it is. With some luck it's a brand we can help you with (most routers work more or less the same).

Windows Firewall by default allows all outgoing transactions and will prompt for incoming, so this should not be blocking you.

jordarkelf said:
You will need to open (forward) all ports required for DirectPlay, as described in the MSKB: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240429

TCP port 47624
TCP/UDP ports 2300-2400

Refer to your router's manual on how to do this. You should have some option for 'port forwarding' on the router's control page (website) -- enter your computer's local IP address, the protocol (TCP or UDP), and the ports in question. If it requires a range, use 47624-47624 for the TCP only port, and 2300-2400 for the TCP and UDP ports.

If you can't find it in the manual, post here what your router's brand is and if you know it, what the firmware for it is. With some luck it's a brand we can help you with (most routers work more or less the same).

Windows Firewall by default allows all outgoing transactions and will prompt for incoming, so this should not be blocking you.

It's still not working, though I should've thought of doing the TCP range that way :wacko:.

For future reference my Router is a Linksys Wireless Router with Speed Booster, and it says something about my routers name being WRT54GS. I'd imagine this is the model?

Firmware Version: v1.50.5

I'd imagine these routers are highly common.

Yup, got one myself.

Follow this guide: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/default.htm

Example settings:

Application: Directplay (or whatever)
Start: 2300
End: 2400
Protocol: Both
IP Address: your PC's static IP address (192.168.1.100 or so).
Enable: Checked

You do not want 'Port Triggering', that's something completely different I won't go into.

I also do not advise you put your PC on the DMZ link, as Linksys' DMZ handling is problematic. You're much better off to just use Port Forwarding properly.

I tried all of that, but it still doesn't work. If you'd like I could take a picture of my settings, but it's been setup like this for awhile :( . One thing I didn't know though was "Block all anonymous requests" in the security tab, which of course made sense to uncheck. I only wish it would've worked. I hate this router, but thank you for your help thus far! This is rather weird.

If at all possible, connect your PC directly to your internet modem/gateway device, bypassing the Linksys router. If it works then you know there's still something being blocked by the Linksys router (in which case I advise you to contact their support as I'm out of ideas), if it doesn't work even if you are directly connected at least you know the problem isn't your router (which means it's either your PC, or your modem/gateway).

Some of these modems or gateways can be configured as well, and might be blocking traffic. My ISP is Chello, and I used to have a Motorola modem by them that could also work like a router. Fortunately it by default was configured as a switch (basically a router without any of the filtering stuff) so this never lead to conflicts.

jordarkelf said:
If at all possible, connect your PC directly to your internet modem/gateway device, bypassing the Linksys router. If it works then you know there's still something being blocked by the Linksys router (in which case I advise you to contact their support as I'm out of ideas), if it doesn't work even if you are directly connected at least you know the problem isn't your router (which means it's either your PC, or your modem/gateway).

Some of these modems or gateways can be configured as well, and might be blocking traffic. My ISP is Chello, and I used to have a Motorola modem by them that could also work like a router. Fortunately it by default was configured as a switch (basically a router without any of the filtering stuff) so this never lead to conflicts.

The ODDEST thing is, it once worked awhile back. It just randomly stopped working one day. I want to directly connect to the modem, but that would mean installing CK and DV onto my step-fathers computer and I like to avoid using his. That and if I recall his network card is fairly messed up or something along those lines. I will try it sometime though, thank you for your help!

I doubt the modem has it's own settings as it unfortunately is a rather crappy DSL :eek:o . If it helps, I live on a naval base (it's not actually a port near a body of water but a Naval Air station) and maybe it's some stupid military device. Once more thank you for the help though :) .

Forgot to add, you can pretty much eliminate the PC as the cause of the problem, by running a dxdiag test (1) -- if you get a positive result for the DirectPlay tests there, you do not have a local PC issue. This cannot test outgoing traffic though, so even if your PC checks out your router or modem may still be blocking it.

1: Start - run - dxdiag. Go to the 'Network' tab and click 'Test Directplay'. If this opens it works, if you get an error message -- obviously it doesn't.

It might be a long shot, but have you contacted your ISP (I guess that would the navy in your case!) and asked if they changed anything? It could be that for whatever reason they've decided to block internet gaming.

jordarkelf said:
Forgot to add, you can pretty much eliminate the PC as the cause of the problem, by running a dxdiag test (1) -- if you get a positive result for the DirectPlay tests there, you do not have a local PC issue. This cannot test outgoing traffic though, so even if your PC checks out your router or modem may still be blocking it.

1: Start - run - dxdiag. Go to the 'Network' tab and click 'Test Directplay'. If this opens it works, if you get an error message -- obviously it doesn't.

It might be a long shot, but have you contacted your ISP (I guess that would the navy in your case!) and asked if they changed anything? It could be that for whatever reason they've decided to block internet gaming.

The dxdiag test was passed, but I'm not sure that's so good as we still don't know what the problem is. :( . I decided I will try connecting directly to the closest computer once my friend is online and ready to play again, but until then I must wait :eek:o .

What makes it more frustrating is he can't host either as he's got some weird setup, I dunno how to explain it. I don't have any other friends who play CK either, so it's quite upsetting for me.