Please consider adding Research & Focus Queues in the patch of the Baraborssa DLC

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zeprion

Colonel
30 Badges
Oct 31, 2016
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
For me, one of the most irritating things about Hearts of Iron 4 is that occasionally you have to select a new focus and research. It's the act of doing it every few in-game months that I find irritating.

As such, I would like the developers to consider adding Research & Focus Queues features in the upcoming patch.

- Add a queue of 2 extra focuses.
- Add a queue of 6 extra researches.

- When you complete a research/focus, the next one in line is automatically placed.
- If you want to remove a research/focus, you click a small X at the top-right or right-click it.
- If you remove a research/focus, all other researches/focuses on the queue that had as a prerequisite that research/focus will be removed.

* The queue for the focus can be located right below the current focus rectangle, as 2 smaller rectangles of 1/3 the height and 1/2 the width of the current focus rectangle.
* The queue for the research can be located in the research tab right below the current in-work researches. The rectangles for these could be slightly smaller (80% the height and width) than those of in-work researches to make their difference intuitive to notice.

The point of these queues is not to simplify the research/focus mechanics but to make Hearts of Iron 4 less of a clicker game.

You will still have to pick your strategy and research/focus. Nothing effectively changes except that now you can wait for 210 days for a focus and more months for a research until you will see the pop up that you need to pick a research/focus.

But only if you want to. This is completely optional. If you want to, you can not fill your queue list with anything and get a pop up evertime a research/focus is completed.

I know you don't always have a predefined strategy, sometimes your strategy changes based on the actions of other players/countries, but when it doesn't, and especially at the beginning of the game, it's very convenient to have a queue for focuses and research so you won't have to go back & forth on the focus and research tabs.

Besides, the queues allow for a great deal of flexibility. You can always change or remove the researches/focuses on the queue whenever you want and change your strategy.

This suggestion does not remove the need to pick your focus or research. It allows you to pick it in advance, if you want, and it also allows you to change your mind later.

I find this realistic as countries in real life would plan what they want to research on before the actual work for that research began.

• 53Like
Reactions:
Especially important in MP games when you are concentrating on the front. They could add a bonus into this as well - so if you pre-plan the research goes x-faster and the focus is done x-number of days quicker etc.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Especially important in MP games when you are concentrating on the front. They could add a bonus into this as well - so if you pre-plan the research goes x-faster and the focus is done x-number of days quicker etc.
That would actually force people to use the queue, I was thinking of it as something optional, that can be used or not used without any sort of advantages or disadvantages in the actual game. But if the community likes this version with pre-pan bonus more, I won't object it.

• 4Like
Reactions:
That´s the Problem. Everybody wanna have everything to esay, get puttet everything put in the booty and don´t wanna use his / her brain. Therefore the World-People get so foolish like the young generation which grow up now as youngstars / teenagers. That´s why the World get lost in about 20 to 40 Years. If we do implement such unneccary things, then the AI will take controll over everything like in Terminator and we get TERMINATED completely, if that Process had not begunn since 1 Decades.

This is a strategy Game where you have to use the Brain, Thinking etc. It dosen´t matter historical or Sci-Fi.

That Suggestion destroys everything. So it´s an absolutly NO GO to implement that! Either you play it as it is or you can play anything else like Shooters you don´t have to think.

There is no more to say about that!

Last edited:
  • 10Haha
Reactions:
That´s the Problem. Everybody wanna have everything to esay, get puttet everything put in the booty and don´t wanna use his / her brain. Therefore the World-People get so foolish like the young generation which grow up now as youngstars / teenagers. That´s why the World get lost in about 20 to 40 Years. If we do implement such unneccary things, then the AI will take controll over everything like in Terminator and we get TERMINATED completely, if that Process had not begunn since 1 Decades.

This is a strategy Game where you have to use the Brain, Thinking etc. It dosen´t matter historical or Sci-Fi.

That Suggestion destroys everything. So it´s an absolutly NO GO to implement that! Either you play it as it is or you can play anything else like Shooters you don´t have to think.

What malus give to you? Nothing. Make the easier less clicker! STOP! And not destroy the strategy, is easy a queque for allow you concentrate on the figth (especially in MP). Not destroy the game! In much game exist the queque can make you think to other thing of game

• 1Like
Reactions:

Adding focus tree & research queues will not turn Hoi4 into a Sci-Fi game or stop you from using your brain, if anything, it will give you the opportunity to think in advance.

While making Hearts of Iron 4 less of a clicker game. If you already have a plan (or if you're far-left, a 4 years plan), then you can add those things you're planning to the queue while focusing most of your attention on other thing such as the battles themselves.

Reactions:

Okay boomer

• 13Haha
Reactions:
That would be of a great help, especially at the beginning where you basically just choose electronics and industry every single time. Also it would allow you to focus your attention on important matters, without constantly being reminded you have a free research slot (6 slot countries looking at you) doing nothing.

And I can’t see how would it affect balance at all, it’s just a queve, not automation.

Reactions:
Agree with this.

Probably one of the biggest gripes of the game when the war starts is the distractions away from the fighting and the strategy.

Would need to support research dependencies though as well. So for instance... If I research radio then I can queue up the signal company but I cannot pick the signal company if I’ve not clicked the radio research.

Also it gets complicated with naval research because you want to queue up guns and sonar before you build your ship.

In fact on that... It would be really great to have a feedback screen so you can stack up research and see how long the whole thing takes... allowing you to queue up moving parts before you research the hull.

Design companies also play a part here also because you want to forecast your political power gain for the research of an aircraft of an air design company.

Better forecasting and feedback system would be good for HOI5.

• 10Like
Reactions:
I do understand why this would be a great addition to MP players. However, for SP players it would just serve to bloat the UI. I am not against it but if something like this ever gets implemented, please make it be MP only.
Why MP only? This doesn’t make sense. Both in SP and MP it distracts you, only in SP you can pause whenever you want (which I generally need to do all the time because of having to deal with research slots and focuses constantly popping up, to my general annoyance)

• 3Like
Reactions:
I do understand why this would be a great addition to MP players. However, for SP players it would just serve to bloat the UI. I am not against it but if something like this ever gets implemented, please make it be MP only.
I am also an SP-only player yet it annoys to no end when i'm microing divisions, watching my naval-battles and suddenly this stupid "rEsEArCh fiNiSheD - cOnstRuCtiOn 3" pops up together with 2 other things and the entire game-flow has been thrown out of the window...

Sometimes i just click it away then, and later don't pay attention to it and loose some research days or i click at "yeah whatever" just to be done with it.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Yes. Definitely.
That´s the Problem. Everybody wanna have everything to esay, get puttet everything put in the booty and don´t wanna use his / her brain.
Having a queue would require exactly the same amount of brain cells as before, it'd just require fewer clicks. Like when you queue up a division's move orders with shift+clicking instead of constantly having to return to them to give them orders to move one more province.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great idea! I don't mind early game having to stop to think about and select a focus/research (as it is basically all there is to do early game) but once wars start kicking off it is a nightmare getting notifications coming up all the time that you have a slot free. Even if you pause it you are likely missing a few days of optimising your strategy and it distracts you from the actual front.

• 4Like
Reactions:
HOI3 had a queue and it was a good idea.

Heck every civ game I played had a queue.

I have disliked the whole "drop everything and change research " thing.

• 7Like
Reactions:
For me, one of the most irritating things about Hearts of Iron 4 is that occasionally you have to select a new focus and research. It's the act of doing it every few in-game months that I find irritating.

As such, I would like the developers to consider adding Research & Focus Queues features in the upcoming patch.

- Add a queue of 2 extra focuses.
- Add a queue of 6 extra researches.

- When you complete a research/focus, the next one in line is automatically placed.
- If you want to remove a research/focus, you click a small X at the top-right or right-click it.
- If you remove a research/focus, all other researches/focuses on the queue that had as a prerequisite that research/focus will be removed.

* The queue for the focus can be located right below the current focus rectangle, as 2 smaller rectangles of 1/3 the height and 1/2 the width of the current focus rectangle.
* The queue for the research can be located in the research tab right below the current in-work researches. The rectangles for these could be slightly smaller (80% the height and width) than those of in-work researches to make their difference intuitive to notice.

The point of these queues is not to simplify the research/focus mechanics but to make Hearts of Iron 4 less of a clicker game.

You will still have to pick your strategy and research/focus. Nothing effectively changes except that now you can wait for 210 days for a focus and more months for a research until you will see the pop up that you need to pick a research/focus.

But only if you want to. This is completely optional. If you want to, you can not fill your queue list with anything and get a pop up evertime a research/focus is completed.

I know you don't always have a predefined strategy, sometimes your strategy changes based on the actions of other players/countries, but when it doesn't, and especially at the beginning of the game, it's very convenient to have a queue for focuses and research so you won't have to go back & forth on the focus and research tabs.

Besides, the queues allow for a great deal of flexibility. You can always change or remove the researches/focuses on the queue whenever you want and change your strategy.

This suggestion does not remove the need to pick your focus or research. It allows you to pick it in advance, if you want, and it also allows you to change your mind later.

I find this realistic as countries in real life would plan what they want to research on before the actual work for that research began.
@Zeprion Have you considered posting the need of research queues to the suggestion forum?

Last edited:
Reactions:
@Zeprion Have you considered posting the need of research queues to the suggestion forum?
Yes, but unfortunately I can't, I can only post on the general forum in Hearts of Iron 4. I was asked the same thing on this topic and gave a more detailed answer:

If you wish, you can post it, I assume that's where the devs are looking and the formal way to do it.

Yes, please!

By far the most annoying thing in Hearts of Iron 4 is that I always have to go back to research, even when I already know what I want to research next.

Reactions: