Please add a focus, perk or trait for Warrior Monks

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pied-Noir

Future Battle Bishop
54 Badges
Sep 6, 2011
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Prison Architect
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • March of the Eagles
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
History has many examples of bishops and monks who maintained their religious vows but also (literally) fought for their beliefs - people like Odo of Bayeux and Hugh the Abbot.

I've often felt that CK II should have had an education trait to represent these kinds of character, and indeed there is a trait called 'martial_cleric', but it is localised as Dutiful Cleric and doesn't convey any martial bonuses.

If not an education trait, I do think that CK III should at least have a perk within one of the religious/learning focus paths called something like Martial Cleric, Warrior Monk or Fighting Bishop - something that gives a learning-based character a martial stat boost and a personal combat skill boost (or whatever we're calling that modifier now).

It could also give some sort of boost to fighting heathens/heretics.

Remember as well that many of the people who went and fought in the Crusades were not knights or mercenary captains by trade, but men of the cloth who took an oath to retake Jerusalem or simply protect pilgrims and trade caravans.

If such a perk doesn't already exist I hope there's time to add one, as it would make sense from an historical point of view and also provide an opportunity for zealous learning-based characters to do a bit of fighting.

You can do something like that with the current perk system, a character with a learning/theological education that choose a martial lifestyle, may not be optimal. The other option would be to simply focus on martial education and lifestyle but it would perhaps not feel like a warrior monk.

Out of the learning focuses, only one is about religion, the other two is about healthcare and experimentation/knowledge.

I think it showcase a problem in CK2 logic that all religious focused characters would have an learning education and I think it also showcase a strength in the perk system that you can have all these special cases, like a warrior-diplomat which is something CK2 system don't do too well but can be done in CK3.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I've often felt that CK II should have had an education trait to represent these kinds of character, and indeed there is a trait called 'martial_cleric'
I think you're confusing monks who happen to also be warriors, with actual warrior monks, who fight as monks, because in this case that's what monks are expected to do.
In christian Europe, orders like religious military orders like the Hospitallers, Templars etc. were the warrior monks. They are already in the game.

I think you're confusing monks who happen to also be warriors, with actual warrior monks, who fight as monks, because in this case that's what monks are expected to do.
In christian Europe, orders like religious military orders like the Hospitallers, Templars etc. were the warrior monks. They are already in the game.

Yes, but there were plenty of priests who were also warriors: Adhemar, various Marquess's of Neustria, a few popes, Odo of Bayeux, Bernard the Dane (lots of Normans actually) . It would be nice to have a perk or trait to represent those sorts of people.

Yes, but there were plenty of priests who were also warriors: Adhemar, various Marquess's of Neustria, a few popes, Odo of Bayeux, Bernard the Dane (lots of Normans actually) . It would be nice to have a perk or trait to represent those sorts of people.
Martial education/martial Lifestyle?

In one of the answer posts of the dev diary a dev mentioned that some of the learning perks are dependent on the religion's dogma, he implied that more warlike religions have one of their perks oriented towards warfare.

As for bellicose monk orders that actually held land, I'm hoping they'll have a different government for them, or at least use the theocratic style of government but with succession oriented towards Martial/Learning.

No, you're confusing them. I cited specific examples, of which @ogarrr added more. I am aware of the differences and worded my post with this in mind.

I'm not saying that there should be a perk that turns you into a Hospitaller, I'm saying it'd be nice if there was a perk in the Learning/Theology tree that gave you some martial bonuses and perhaps an attack bonus vs. heretics/infidels. Most monks did not fight at all, but some made a career out of doing so, and it would be nice to represent this.

@Voffvoffhunden did post something suggesting this is indeed represented by the Defender of the Faith perk, so hopefully that's the case.