• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogueebn1983

Recruit
Jun 16, 2019
Dear Paradox -
Bloodlines 2 is a game I’ve been hoping and waiting for for 15 years. I STILL go back and replay the original to this day. When I saw this sequel announced I was elated. Then I saw that the game would be locked into 1st person perspective and my elation turned to crushing disappointment. I suffer from something known as “simulation sickness” which is a form of motion sickness. When I play a game in first person perspective I get very nauseous, lightheaded and even sometimes pass out or vomit. So i’ve always been limited to games in 3rd person perspective, which is tough for a gamer like me. The original Bloodlines game had the choice of which perspective you wanted to use, allowing me to discover one of my all time favorite entertainment experiences. I know there are many more like me, a whole demographic of fans and potential fans who will be excluded from this exciting new game if it remains in forced 1st person. From a business standpoint that’s a lot of money lost. If you don’t believe me, please look at this petition of over 1,000 signatures and growing every day. As long as this game has been in the making (even longer in anticipation by die hard fans like me), it seems to me it would be well worth taking the time to make it everything fans want it to be. We would much rather have to wait a little longer (what’s a little longer to wait after 15 years, after all?) then to have the game be disappointing and even alienate a whole group of fans. I’m sure you’re well into the development process but I would plead with you to reconsider making this crucial change. Thank you so much I’m advance for making my gaming dreams come true!

Here is the link to the petition I mentioned-

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do people hate the search function so much? They have a question; they'd rather open a new thread about it and wait for a reply (which can take a while) than searching for it themselves and getting their answers in less than a minute. Same thing with discussions. We already have 2 threads on this topic and one of them is quite extensive (and contains the same petition)... we really don't need more.

Last edited:
I understand that posting a new thread is going to make some people irritated, which is not my intent. I have seen a couple of other threads on the issue but my hope with posting a new one is to bring the topic back to the top of the feed and possibly reach more people who would otherwise only see this by searching for the topic. I also hope it might better get the attention of the developers this way, which is really who this post is directed at. I apologize if this is some sort of breach of forum etiquette as I am not experienced in using forums. I do realize this petition has been linked in previous threads. My intent in including the link here was to point out the fact that this petition has now topped 1000 signatures and possibly showcase it to new people.

@Rogueebn1983
You don't need to make a new thread to "bump" or rekindle interest over a particular topic, just go to the thread you want and write a post. This will automatically push it to the top of the front page (of that particular sub-section). This happens on all forums. The only thing we're not advised to do is "necro" an old thread. Anything that hasn't seen activity for a very long time (i.e, several months and years) should be left alone. That's when you open another thread on the same topic.

Last edited:
Why do people hate the search function so much? They have a question; they'd rather open a new thread about it and wait for a reply (which can take a while) than searching for it themselves and getting their answers in less than a minute. Same thing with discussions. We already have 2 threads on this topic and one of them is quite extensive (and contains the same petition)... we really don't need more.

It was also locked.

Both of the others
@Rogueebn1983
You don't need to make a new thread to "bump" or rekindle interest over a particular topic, just go to the thread you want and write a post. This will automatically push it to the top of the front page (of that particular sub-section). This happens on all forums. The only thing we're not advised to do is "necro" an old thread. Anything that hasn't seen activity for a very long time (i.e, several months and years) should be left alone. That's when you open another thread on the same topic.

I can see your point but in this particular case both previous threads are blocked from further replies. So posting a new thread was my only option to get my voice heard about this. I appreciate the clarification though and will remember in the future to check first if i can bump an older thread rather than having to post a new one

The developers already know that some people would like 3rd person. They've made it pretty clear that the answer is no. They just brought the game to E3 to show off the game as a first person only game. I understand the health problems some people associate with first person view, but the developers have made their decision and you should expect that decision to be final. When you ask developers to make a major change to their game, like 10 months before release, what you're really asking is for them to just arbitrarily extend their budget to accommodate you. Most developers don't have the choice to extend their budgets on a whim. They have to make the game with the money they are given and no more. Developing a game on a finite budget means that adding anything comes at the expense of not adding something else in its place.

You're going to have to accept that we live in the world we have and not the world we would like to have. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, in any case. Good luck and be well.

The developers already know that some people would like 3rd person. They've made it pretty clear that the answer is no. They just brought the game to E3 to show off the game as a first person only game. I understand the health problems some people associate with first person view, but the developers have made their decision and you should expect that decision to be final. When you ask developers to make a major change to their game, like 10 months before release, what you're really asking is for them to just arbitrarily extend their budget to accommodate you. Most developers don't have the choice to extend their budgets on a whim. They have to make the game with the money they are given and no more. Developing a game on a finite budget means that adding anything comes at the expense of not adding something else in its place.

You're going to have to accept that we live in the world we have and not the world we would like to have. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, in any case. Good luck and be well.

I fully understand that they very well may not make this change. However, the developers have encouraged us to post our input here in the forum and have stated that it might make a difference. So I am making my case to them and adding to the many other voices who have done the same. If it changes nothing, so be it. But if those of us who care about this don’t make some noise, then there’s not even a slim chance of change. They may have heard this from others but they’re going to hear it from me too because it matters to me. If it’s too late this time around, then I hope my input helps influence them to do things differently in any future installments of this game. And I’m not asking them to arbitrarily extend their budget just to accommodate me. It’s to accommodate over 1000 plus who knows how many more fans and potential customers.

Never understood why third person means so much to people...

For some people, it's a legitimate problem with motion sickness in first person games.

For me, it's because I find third person to be the more immersive option. In spite of the usual rhetoric, I've yet to see a first person game that feels like "seeing through the character's eyes." It always feels more like you're playing as a computer monitor floating through the game world. With third person, it at least feels like there's a character acting in the game world.

Not a dealbreaker for me, but I would still love to see a third person option.

For me, it's because I find third person to be the more immersive option. In spite of the usual rhetoric, I've yet to see a first person game that feels like "seeing through the character's eyes." It always feels more like you're playing as a computer monitor floating through the game world. With third person, it at least feels like there's a character acting in the game world.

This, basically.

I also have yet to play a first person game in which I find the gameplay even decent. Combat (especially melee or magic) is usually terrible or shaky at best. And, yes, I've played Dishonored and all those recent first person games. I just don't like how they're played, which is a far more important issue than "immersion": what if I wanted to play the game so bad because of the setting, but end up not getting into it because everything except the story feels incredibly clunky? That's pretty much how I feel about basically every game I've played with a forced first person.

Also, First/Third person is minor when it comes to immersion. They don't add or reduce much. Immersion is all about good writing, good voice acting, the ambiant/ambient noises, details like tags or stuff in a city, NPCs that move and have a life of their own, etc. I have to feel the world is alive. First person doesn't add to it. In fact I feel like being so zoomed and seeing so little reduces just how much little details you can catch, and you miss a lot of things, which reduces immersion. So first person is a complete no-no for me for both immersion and gameplay issues.

I do empathize with people who can't play first person because of headache issues. I'm not really one of them (I do get more tired when playing shooters like Overwatch than when I play LoL for example, but that's 100% not the same thing, I think first person just exhausts your eyes faster in general), but it's a terrible thing really. It's just that it's not even why I'm seriously disappointed everytime a promising game appears to be first person, I actually can play those games. What makes it worse is that there's like 4 RPG about vampires, so I just can't move on and pick another game. I've already played them too many times. I was waiting for this game, just like I was waiting for Cyberpunk.

So, yeah, that's why third person means so much to some people, kemmy23. :)
(You can agree or disagree, it doesn't really matter, in the end it all comes to personal taste and subjectivity, so I'm 100% right and you're 100% right too, whatever your opinion is.)

Simply to have better control over what you're actually doing, as you miss all the stuff that makes moving iRL so much fun.
We bet that that IGN Dude played way better when he have had 3rd person.

Status
Not open for further replies.