Playing the 2.0.4 Open Beta on Linux

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SeekTruthFromFx

Seek truth from facts
60 Badges
Sep 17, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
EDIT: FIxed with the latest Open Beta update, as of 2024-04-12!!!!

At the moment, the 2.0.4 Open Beta appears not to work on Linux. If you try to run it from Steam, you get an "invalid app configuration" error. This seems to persist even if you subsequently switch back to 2.0.3; you have to do a complete reinstall to recover. This is unfortunate, because the 2.0.4 fixes several annoying bugs, and because it's needed to run the Invictus mod which vastly improves the game and is now the de facto standard.

The underlying game does actually work though; it's the launcher that is misconfigured. Just run <YourSteamLibrary>/steamapps/common/ImperatorRome/binaries/imperator (in a terminal or your preferred file management software). And in my case, it runs with the mods that I have subscribed to in the Steam Workshop. But it's possible that's because I was using those mods before the Open Beta broke things.

If you are using KDE Plasma, you can create a menu item for this file using kmenuedit and then right-click on the menu item to add it to your desktop. If you want those items to have the Imperator logo, you can find it at <YourSteamLibrary>/steamapps/common/ImperatorRome/launcher/assets/game-logo.png.

According to this comment, it should be possible to get the launcher working too, but I have not yet managed to reproduce that.

I am able to access the launcher by running <YourSteamLibrary>/steamapps/common/ImperatorRome/launcher/dowser. It complains that it can't connect to Steam, but it runs. So it appears that it might be possible to enable and disable DLC and mods if you wished to do it. But I have not tested that, as I have a working configuration and don't want to break it.

FYI much earlier versions were reported to have this bug on Linux, but I've never been affected and 2.0.4 include an upgraded SDL which may have helped.

P.S. My Steam playing time is still recorded when I play this way, as I long as I start Steam before launch Imperator. So it probably does count towards the player statistics for the Ides of March campaign.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I was using proton over the weekend because I just wanted to play the game but multiplayer didn't work. Still doesn't now that I've got the native version working but meh.

I figured out how to get the launcher working by changing the launcher-settings.json file to change all instances of "../binaries/Imperator" to "../binaries/imperator"

Since Linux uses a case sensitive filesystem and the binary starts with a lowercase "i" the launcher was looking for a file that doesn't exist. After fixing that, the launcher recognizes the game, but it can't connect to steam so mod's don't update properly in the launcher. This would be fixed by just launching the game through steam but as above "invalid app configuration" happens.

To get everything working as it should I made a copy of the linux version of the beta from my steamapps folder and edited the launcher-settings.json file, uninstalled imperator rome, reinstalled it, deleted the game from the steamapps folder and replaced it with my copy of the beta.

Now steam thinks it's the release version and everything just works except no sound.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Is the game completely broken on Linux right now? Or are people being able to run it?

Is the game completely broken on Linux right now? Or are people being able to run it?
The game is not completely broken. I play it more or less every day. The last officially released version (2.0.3) works normally.

But the 2.0.4 Open Beta breaks the launcher on Linux. The game itself plays perfectly from a terminal, and Steam integration (e.g. counting hours played) still works. But if you click on the 'Play' button in Steam, you are taken to a broken launcher, which is a poor experience for new players. In order to choose mods, you have to switch back to 2.0.3, use the launcher to change the mods, then switch back to 2.0.4 Open Beta.

Playing with the Open Beta is very desirable because it fixes numerous bugs and is required for any mod that's being actively developed. This particularly applies to Invictus, which most people regard as essential because until the bug-fixes were only available there until (literally) yesterday.

The game is not completely broken. I play it more or less every day. The last officially released version (2.0.3) works normally.

But the 2.0.4 Open Beta breaks the launcher on Linux. The game itself plays perfectly from a terminal, and Steam integration (e.g. counting hours played) still works. But if you click on the 'Play' button in Steam, you are taken to a broken launcher, which is a poor experience for new players. In order to choose mods, you have to switch back to 2.0.3, use the launcher to change the mods, then switch back to 2.0.4 Open Beta.

Playing with the Open Beta is very desirable because it fixes numerous bugs and is required for any mod that's being actively developed. This particularly applies to Invictus, which most people regard as essential because until the bug-fixes were only available there until (literally) yesterday.
At the moment, Invictus still supports not using the beta, but that is likely to change soon once we use some of the new triggers, effects and fixes.

Reactions:
Actually I had the same problem - invalid app configuration. I switched to compatibility mode with proton and then got back to normal Linux version and it started working again. I no longer have exe/dll files in /data/steam/steamapps/common/ImperatorRome/binaries.

Actually I had the same problem - invalid app configuration. I switched to compatibility mode with proton and then got back to normal Linux version and it started working again. I no longer have exe/dll files in /data/steam/steamapps/common/ImperatorRome/binaries.
I'm glad that worked for you but ... hmm.... switching to Proton is one of the possible reasons that my V3 installation is very broken, and I've heard of others have similar problems. So I am reluctant to try this unless others have good reports.

But I have a lot of exe and dll files on my installation after the last beta update dropped. And I didn't try using Proton, what's going on?

Never mind, the Linux problems under the 2.0.4 beta were solved after the latest update. Thanks!

But I have a lot of exe and dll files on my installation after the last beta update dropped. And I didn't try using Proton, what's going on?
I don't have any at all. There's literally none using find.
Never mind, the Linux problems under the 2.0.4 beta were solved after the latest update. Thanks!
Oh wow, you're right!

I don't have any at all. There's literally none using find.
For some reason Steam downloaded Windows files but I managed to revert it back to normal by selecting the Proton checkbox and then unchecking it. Funnily enough reinstalling the game didn't work, only this specific trick.

Reactions: