• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
All the old resolution changer have to work, because DD is technically speaking, jsut a patch + a mod of a basic HOI2.exe.

But thanks to lord Elderon for resolution highter than 1200*1000 :)

Hi, I have done that resolution change as said above it seems that it worked but I have one question. As you can see on screenshot the top menu bar kinda messed up and down at left black stuff is that how it should be???

3333.jpg

The top bar is ok (it is supposed to be so), but that black area in lower left corner is something weird.

Thork said:
did you see the readme?
you have to resize your (nation specific) skin as well..
you can find them in these subdirs: "GFX\SKINS\%nation%"

fullscreen = 1280x956
sidebar = 256x956
topbar = 1280x68

or download/use an existing 1280 skin...

f.ex. i made and provided one for germany a while back in the 3. post of this thrad
i also made custom versions for use with DMP or GIP..
anyway - this one uses symbols that could be offending to some..
but you can find a lot other 1280er skins or just resize yourself.

To Ryssak,

You have to do what Thork suggested in order to get rid of the black box and tooltip remnant problem shown in your screenshot.

I resized them using photoshop. I'm sure there are freeware programs that can do this as well.

As Thork explains here, it is just the skin, that must be resized, then all is fine.

Thork

did you see the readme?
you have to resize your (nation specific) skin as well..
you can find them in these subdirs: "GFX\SKINS\%nation%"

fullscreen = 1280x956
sidebar = 256x956
topbar = 1280x68

or download/use an existing 1280 skin...

f.ex. i made and provided one for germany a while back in the 3. post of this thrad
i also made custom versions for use with DMP or GIP..
anyway - this one uses symbols that could be offending to some..
but you can find a lot other 1280er skins or just resize yourself.

Yes kephas, you have 3 options for skinning
1) resize the skins you've got
2) make your own skins
3) download skins

It'd be really enlightening if someone who has the time or the volition could write these recommendations out in laymen's terms. E.g.:

1) Download patch from "here"
2) Save patch to "X" directory
3) Go into "Program Files/blah/blah/blah"
4) Search for "X"
5) Paste "Y" in "X"
6) Don't forget to save a backup copy of "X" file

Thanks if this is practicable.

SirGrotius said:
It'd be really enlightening if someone who has the time or the volition could write these recommendations out in laymen's terms. E.g.:
ok ;)
1) Download patch from "here"
http://www.ederon.net/program.aspx?id=40004&grp=55 or
http://www.geocities.jp/soukan_n/f/tools.html
2) Save patch to "X" directory
3) Go into "Program Files/blah/blah/blah"
4) Search for "X"
5) Paste "Y" in "X"
Unpack these programs (wherever) and run respective exe, or in case of unknown's program, see readme
6) Don't forget to save a backup copy of "X" file
If you are using unknow's utility, you may need to backup file. Pegasus does not rewrite original by default.

To backup you HoI2.exe, go to directory (press 'Start', choose 'Run', type in 'explorer' or just press START+E as a shortcut) where you installed your Doomsday/HoI2 (like 'C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Doomsday'), select HoI2.exe, then press CTRL+C, then press CTRL+V. File called 'Copy of HoI2.exe' will be created. Optionally you could want to rename this file to something like 'hoi2-orig.exe'. To do so, select that 'Copy of HoI2.exe' file, press F2 to rename it and write down new name. Your backup is done.

Then use these programs to apply patches or other edits.

And if you are using Doomsday (most probably), download resized loading screen from http://www.ederon.net/program.aspx?id=40004&grp=55 and read instructions. ;)

1. Downloaded the program directly 2 days ago.
2. I've run the program to set windowed mode.
3. It creates a new file - supposed to be the new exe - but which is not recognised as such.
4. I had a look in the readme files included, but couldn't see what to do.

Could someone help me out?

- start Pegasus Hexa Wizard
- select desired operation (in your case 'Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday (1.1) Windowed Mode Hack'
- click on 'perform selected operation'
- choose the file to be modified (HoI2.exe)
- choose the output filename (e.g. 'Hoi2.modified.exe')
- wait, until PHW has finished its job (takes a few seconds)...
- rename (the old) HoI2.exe to (for example) 'HoI2.bak'
- rename 'Hoi2.modified.exe' to 'HoI2.exe'

and there you go...

christophkk said:
- rename (the old) HoI2.exe to (for example) 'HoI2.bak'
- rename 'Hoi2.modified.exe' to 'HoI2.exe'

and there you go...
Or just make new shortcut on your desktop pointing to 'Hoi2.modified.exe' which will run windowed (or other) mode game. Normal shortcut (pointing to 'HoI2.exe') would still run unmodded exe.

Persoanlly, I use following convention:
- I leave original 'hoi2.exe' as is. It runs unmodded game.
- For windowed mode, I make 'hoi2_w.exe'. I use it to run hoi2 in window therafter.
- For 1280x1024 Pegasus makes me 'hoi2_1280.exe'.

That means I have three exes in HoI2 directory and I run the one I actually need.

a little help

ok i didnt get anything from all that, would someone be nice enough to lay down clear, exact step by step directions on how to install the higher rez mods and skins. altho im not new to computing or gaming, tell me what to do like a grade A n00b just in case i still dont understand. thanks.

Last edited:
ok i didnt get anything from all that, would someone be nice enough to lay down clear, exact step by step directions on how to install the higher rez mods and skins. altho im not new to computing or gaming, tell me what to do like a grade A n00b just in case i still dont understand. thanks.

And it works.

Though, is it just mine or when you shift to another window, does the Doomsday window cease to update - until you clock on it and then find time HAS been going - and there is no resize and other such window functionality?

If that's not just me, is there a chance of adding full window funcitonality?

Nifty said:
Though, is it just mine or when you shift to another window, does the Doomsday window cease to update - until you clock on it and then find time HAS been going - and there is no resize and other such window functionality?

If that's not just me, is there a chance of adding full window funcitonality?
AFAIK what you describe is normal.