Planning on Attempting a One Faith with Catholic Spain

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just started replaying my Spain campaign and realised that the easiest way to have Naples as PU is the following:
- Improve relations with Naples as Castile. Keep your prestige positive.
- Naples usually gets independence.
- The moment Naples gets independence they have no allies, no heir and a trastamara ruling. Royal Marriage -> Claim Throne -> Declare war immediately.
- Naples in PU with no problems

That's how I did it this run. It was really smooth sailing and super consistent. Naples staying in the Union is not something I've seen often. Maybe 1/10 times.

Yeah, this works consistently. However, if you disinherit Enrique, you probably won't have enough prestige to claim their throne before they get an heir. You kind of have to hope they get someone with a weak claim or roll the dice on ending up with a 0/0/0 ruler.

Yeah, this works consistently. However, if you disinherit Enrique, you probably won't have enough prestige to claim their throne before they get an heir. You kind of have to hope they get someone with a weak claim or roll the dice on ending up with a 0/0/0 ruler.

You can get your prestige back quite quickly though. Papal interaction, when waging wars remove rivals for a lot of prestige, the burgers interaction for +25 prestige and +0,5 yearly in return for tax income, advisor. Shouldn't take more than a few years this way. Especially if you open the game with a war on Tlemcen instead of Granada.

As an update to this, I now own all of North Africa, just about all of Italy, a decent portion of the Ivory Coast, and have CNs in Mexico, the Caribbean, Peru, Columbia, Louisiana, and Florida. I own Jerusalem and am getting ready to fight a war to take Mecca. The League War fired in the 1590s, and I was able to disband the HRE in the immediate aftermath. The year is somewhere around 1610. I'm thinking that in my next war, I will conquer the Mamluks down to Mecca, and then really shift focus on conquering Zanzibar, India, and the Spice Islands, and also eat bits of the Lowlands between conquests. I'll try to post a screenshot later today.

3D8E30930E19ADCE91230177CE16214810B5D0AF

8AA844556DC906D87D49053F4992B1D64520DC0A

Here is where I am at 1618. I need to conquer the Lowlands to get PUs on Austria and England. I am currently allied to Austria, the Commonwealth, Augsburg, and Bohemia. France is the only potential coalition member in Europe who might actually get something to fire on me , so I have started a war with them, planning on taking 100% warscore, and then I will start a war against Burgundy. A second war with France should eliminate them as any sort of threat. I also have a stack of 12 infantry in the New World, where I will add native land to my CNs and keep my missionaries busy in the meantime.

From the screenshots it seems your rate of conquest is more than sufficient for a World Conquest, but you don't mention absolutism at all. Is it close to max yet ? If not, I think that should be your priority. Also, are you planning on triggering court and country ? You can get to 100 absolutism without it, but you'll have to keep legitimacy at 100 at all times. On the other hand CnC is a hassle to trigger and to deal with for 10 years.

From the screenshots it seems your rate of conquest is more than sufficient for a World Conquest, but you don't mention absolutism at all. Is it close to max yet ? If not, I think that should be your priority. Also, are you planning on triggering court and country ? You can get to 100 absolutism without it, but you'll have to keep legitimacy at 100 at all times. On the other hand CnC is a hassle to trigger and to deal with for 10 years.

Yeah, the campaign is likely a bust. I inadvertently delayed global trade by not upgrading a center of trade in Genoa to lvl 2, so the Age of Absolutism didn't fire until about 1650. Too bad I'm not going for Eat Your Greens.

Also, I think it was likely a mistake to try to conquer the lowlands for the mission tree. Even with the HRE dismantled, that's a lot of AE. It's not a huge problem because the coalition won't fire, but it's a coalition that isn't going anywhere, and the Ottomans will join it as soon as I fight a war against them. It's probably better to just conquer Europe the old fashioned way if you don't inherit the Dutch.

I inadvertently delayed global trade by not upgrading a center of trade in Genoa to lvl 2, so the Age of Absolutism didn't fire until about 1650.

Oh wow, that's really unfortunate - and probably one of the weirdest ways you could fail ! Reminds of that one guy who was playing as Great Britain, left his game running without looking at his for two minutes to let AE cool down and when he came back he was now playing as New Providence...