Planet automation; is it better ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tisifoni12

Field Marshal
20 Badges
Oct 29, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
Hi all

Started a game for the first time in a while. Had seen that improved planet automation was part of Caelum.

Admittedly I only automated my first colony. Didn't automate my home world and didn't automate my second colony, which was at the early growth self sufficiency stage.
Got a drain of manufactured goods. Not terminal, had other stuff to sell off, but went to my automated world (an ocean world, home world is arid) and found it had been designated an agri-world and was building I think aquaculture farms, may have just been hydroponics, which I didn't need.

Are people automating, or is micromanaging still the thing to do ?
If automating, what advice would you give ?

Set the planet designation manually to what you want it to do and it does decent job, though I prefer to build some basics first before handing it over to automation.

Once "done" based on the planet designation you need to switch designation to something else for the automation to continue if you want to build the planet further or build stuff manually.

Automation doesn't redevelop planets so if you want to destroy or change something you need to do it manually.

Reactions:
Automation is certainly better than it was but the automatic planet designation is, in my experience, really bad. It's not clear how it chooses what to be sometimes so if you don't manually set what you want the planet to be you can get odd outcomes.

Reactions:
Hi all

Started a game for the first time in a while. Had seen that improved planet automation was part of Caelum.

Admittedly I only automated my first colony. Didn't automate my home world and didn't automate my second colony, which was at the early growth self sufficiency stage.
Got a drain of manufactured goods. Not terminal, had other stuff to sell off, but went to my automated world (an ocean world, home world is arid) and found it had been designated an agri-world and was building I think aquaculture farms, may have just been hydroponics, which I didn't need.

Are people automating, or is micromanaging still the thing to do ?
If automating, what advice would you give ?
It used to be good in 3.8, Because you can build anything with energy only. In 3.9 they nerf it, You can no longer use energy. So manual is better.