• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apr 11, 2012
Hello,

I noticed that when attacked, planes or helos do not automatically deploy flares of chaff even though the automated evasive manuvers kick in. I think this needs to be corrected to have them deploy countermeasures. Anyone else notice this?

Upvote 0
The drop flares/chaff function works automatically when the (potential) missile impact is imminent. Not entirely as in real life, but it actually saves you on chaff/flares...

The animation is the same for flare and chaff; we'll assume the poor pilot doesn't take the time to check what guidance system the incoming missile uses and triggers all he has.

Jan, if that's true, why doesn't the chaff / flare count go down? Also, why can I not deploy either manually?
It should go down. It's annoying to test for it, because whenever you look for it your plane gets shot down, but I have seen the count of chaff and/or flare go down.

Logically, the game just uses the correct countermeasure, ie chaff for radar guided missiles and flares for ir. The animation we show is all flares, because, well, it looks best :)

So, if you get a "missile soft killed" in the battle report, saving one of your aircraft, you should see one of the counts go down. I have tested it, and it works (at least on my computer!).

Ok Jan, will believe. I'll test it out a bit more thoroughly. So far what I had see was that unless the plane outruns the missle, it gets shot down. Haven't yet seen a plane survive and the chaff / flare counter go down.

Thanks for the quick response!

Well, I've noticed that they do use them, and they work occasionally. However, their use does not deplete the chaff/flare counters on the aircraft.

Here is a screenshot showing a lucky F/A-18 having survived an inbound missile by using its CM's. Notice neither is depleted. His buddy wasnt so fortunate.

View attachment 52085

I am testing this more to verify it, but I'm fairly sure this always happens. It happened to my Burke too (softkill on Shipwreck ASM, no ammo depleted).

EDIT: More tests run. Aircraft will sometimes not use up a chaff/flare despite a softkill. I have NEVER seen a ship use one, despite having my CVN somehow softkill 2 ASMs.

2rnkjg3.png

Last edited:
Could this be related to the CWIS not always engaging? There you said it might be something to do with the algorithms you use for range and movements. If that is the case increasing the range at which countermeasures are fired should make the launch more often. We had the same problem in MP yesterday. No planes ever deployed chaff/flares.