Pixel issues with custom tradition background image (2 pixel rows leak off to the right and bottom)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pancakelord

Lord of Pancakes
43 Badges
Apr 7, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Darkest Hour
I've used one of the base tradition backgrounds (306x218 pixels) to create the below image. However if you look in the bottom right of the below image you see the image seems to leak off the edge, with 2 pixel borders showing up:
1631726354664.png

However in Photoshop, it looks fine in PS (same dimensions as vanilla dds files
1631726486156.png

When you resize it down in PS by 1 X pixel (305 x 218) - you get a fat pixel column on the right in-game.
1631727575277.png

When you resize it down by 2 X pixels (304 x 218) - you get an image too small along the X axis to fit the window in a pixel-perfect way [see bottom right corner of the 0/5 button).
1631729446515.png
1631729960829.png

Photoshop doesn't do half pixels and I'm stumped as to why this is happening
I've also mirrored the key sprites correctly (basically just swapping _mercantile for pst_terraforming :
1631729497992.png

Export settings using the NVIDA DDS plugin for photoshop (same results when exporting via Intels DDS plugin and via GIMP's DDS exporter, so its not exporter related).
1631729603024.png

Using DXT5, max compression (compression settings dont seem to have an impact on this issue) with mipmaps off (again no impact.. but you dont really need a mipmap for a UI element)

I've also tried disabling the "corneredTileSpriteType" element (see vs code screenshot, in the middle) and this has zero effect. idk what thats for.

Does anyone see what I'm missing to get this image to render correctly in the UI? or has anyone managed to do it?
Failing that, It would be great if someone from the stellaris Art team could confirm what export parameters they're using.

Last edited:
I've been using the 8.8.8.8 ARGB format without midmaps, and it works fine for me. Just checked my tradition trees to be sure, and they don't have pixels bleeding over.

Not sure it's useful, but here's one of my textures in case you want to see whether it works properly on your end:

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've been using the 8.8.8.8 ARGB format without midmaps, and it works fine for me. Just checked my tradition trees to be sure, and they don't have pixels bleeding over.

Not sure it's useful, but here's one of my textures in case you want to see whether it works properly on your end:

1631741026451.png
1631741079096.png

Excellent, that works! thank you, must have gone through half of those formats, but didn't think to try 32bpp. Normally DXT5 works fine and doesnt normally cause this.