• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I thought that pink mechs happen only when you modify something in the game ? I've not modded anything

As I recall? That's not what they are. They're the textures failing to load properly, so it defaults to that. I would get it when I'd been playing the game too long on my poor little toaster of a rig, which was below minimum required specs. From my personal experience, your best bet when that happens is to:

1 - Save and close your game. Mid-mission if you have to.
2 - Restart your computer the long way around. Shut it down, let it sit for a few minutes, then turn it on again. Just restarting was not guaranteed to solve it for me.
3 - Note how long you were playing for and try not to play for as long in an uninterrupted stretch. Furthermore, try to have as few programs running along with the game as possible.
4 - Consider checking your graphics card drivers and/or physical condition. Dust the fans out, that sort of thing.

I'll note, a much more powerful machine has not encountered that problem more than once. And that was my brother running a marathon game overnight such that he was playing for hours before I went to bed... and eight hours later he was still playing.

when you start your drop just wait a few seconds for the textures to finish loading before hit the begin key - especially on Urban maps they are Very texture heavy ( only map that has ever done this to me )

Reactions:
I got it a few times. Kereminde and Ken-Sw are correct, it is textures failing to load completely. The benchmark I always used was to wait until the planet started spinning. It should happen right after everything loads and the launch button becomes active. However, if you are real quick on hitting the launch button, the last few textures might not be complete and you get pink mechs.

Reactions:
I got it a few times. Kereminde and Ken-Sw are correct, it is textures failing to load completely. The benchmark I always used was to wait until the planet started spinning. It should happen right after everything loads and the launch button becomes active. However, if you are real quick on hitting the launch button, the last few textures might not be complete and you get pink mechs.

when you start your drop just wait a few seconds for the textures to finish loading before hit the begin key - especially on Urban maps they are Very texture heavy ( only map that has ever done this to me )

I'll note, my "toaster" (HP 110-194 'Black Friday Special') had that be an inevitability after about... three hours of solid play. And I mean solid, not just idling for a portion of it. That's why I set the fix routine up earlier, because I was certain it was a problem with the memory getting exceeded.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The issue is probably caused by the underlying memory leak in Unity that PDX/HBS never fixed/updated. I had it myself a few times.

(I think it's that same thing that means it takes so long to load and save and the number of saves to cause problems. And why all the mods pretty much disable in-mission saves).

The issue is probably caused by the underlying memory leak in Unity that PDX/HBS never fixed/updated. I had it myself a few times.

(I think it's that same thing that means it takes so long to load and save and the number of saves to cause problems. And why all the mods pretty much disable in-mission saves).

I think I recall someone among my friends speak on that along the lines to say: "fixing it after a certain point in development breaks more stuff than it fixes".

I think I recall someone among my friends speak on that along the lines to say: "fixing it after a certain point in development breaks more stuff than it fixes".
I'm afraid I don't really think I am prepared to give a large company like PDX any leeway because it's hard to do? (Or for that matter, whichever company it is that makes Unity that released a clearly buggy version.) Especially when a tiny company like Brightrock Games can do an unity upgrade on War for the Overworld, by example.

(I'm pretty narked off at PDX at the moment in regards to not doing the job properly in general, since they left Imperator in a state with serious CTD bugs too.)

I know, they won't ever fix it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let it pass without comment.

I'm afraid I don't really think I am prepared to give a large company like PDX any leeway because it's hard to do? (Or for that matter, whichever company it is that makes Unity that released a clearly buggy version.) Especially when a tiny company like Brightrock Games can do an unity upgrade on War for the Overworld, by example.

(I'm pretty narked off at PDX at the moment in regards to not doing the job properly in general, since they left Imperator in a state with serious CTD bugs too.)

I know, they won't ever fix it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let it pass without comment.

Paradox didn't develop the game, they only published it. Harebrained Schemes had the game "mostly done" when Paradox came on to publish.

Reactions: