• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ikarases

Field Marshal
17 Badges
Jul 2, 2012
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II
Pierwszi do boju - Poland 1936

author: Ikarases
start date: 26th May 2013
nation: Poland, 1936
version: FTM 3.062/HPP 3.0.0
difficulty: normal
aim: world conquest survive
style: my own/everything​

I’ve been thinking of playing HPP Poland before, but there was always someone who beat me to do it (luckily for me, I consider both of these AARs dead by now). Yes, you can argue Zorro has a Polish AAR up and running, but his goal is to spam URs all over the place and hope for the best. FtM HPP doesn’t allow that, since only player himself could build URs and AI was clueless, so the restriction for player was logical. On the other hand, HPP has an event of spawning militias around IC provinces (just see my German AAR).

And why have I decided to work on a third AAR while I have two active at this point? Because I’m tired of playing colossuses and I like to mess around with smaller nations more :)

I don’t expect this to be an easy fight, but I’ll do my best to stall and deflect all enemies that attack Poland, be it Nazis or Communists.

First chapter is on its way.

Last edited:
Reserved for ToC, if I'll bother to do one ;)

Gonna be interesting to see how you plan to survive in the potentionally hardest place to be in that particlar scenario.

Good to see you two lurkers around here! :)

good luck

Thanks, I think I'll need some.

Gonna be interesting to see how you plan to survive in the potentionally hardest place to be in that particlar scenario.

Yep, but there is yet another big difference between vanilla and HPP, which I'll point out in the first chapter, though I think you're aware of it as an HPP user ;)

Yes, you can argue Zorro has a Polish AAR up and running, but his goal is to spam URs all over the place and hope for the best.
If by "hope for the best" you mean implement a cunning strategy!:p

This will be a interesting AAR. I don't know about HPP is there any event(s) that will hurt your chances (besides the war event)? How will the Soviets react if you are successfully holding back the Germans?

Are you going to mod this game at all now?
Anyways I'm following!

I don't think I need any of my own modding capabilities. HPP has even adopted something from the "You forgot Poland!" mod, so I think the guy (probably a Pole) did it right and accurately :)

If by "hope for the best" you mean implement a cunning strategy!:p

This will be a interesting AAR. I don't know about HPP is there any event(s) that will hurt your chances (besides the war event)? How will the Soviets react if you are successfully holding back the Germans?

Oh yeah, like Soviets having 95% odds to actively fight the Poland together with Germany. Dunno why is vanilla so flawed in this. I'm afraid I didn't see any other modifiers around it, other than Poland being kicked out of the Allies or something...

Update in 10 ;)

Chapter I: Introduction

Land in the black outline is Poland after being cut up between Soviets and Germans (based on cores system), basically “pure Poland”. Germany would grab Pomorskie (Pomerania), Poznanskie and Slaskie (Schlesien), while Soviet Union would annex Byelorussia and Ukraine.

The HPP “Introduction” event pointed out Polish situation accurately: “Poland is a prosperous country, sandwiched between two superpowers that would rather see it divided amongst them like it was before WWI.”

On the other hand, Poland has some claims on Germany. Though these provinces are blank in terms of IC or manpower, it’s always a pleasant discovery that you have a few of them (blue line).

clipboard01ddc.jpg

I’m not going to pretend I don’t know the war is coming, so I’ve already drafted a plan of defense/offense I’d like accomplish. Now that’s a bunch of arrows and lines here! Let’s break it down:

clipboard02fz.jpg

The red line and arrows symbolize the axis of advance. Taking Eastern Prussia is a must. Konigsberg has to be taken no matter what to shorten the line. If the rest of the advance towards Morava fails, the green line symbolizes a fall back line, composed of various rivers.

The black line is simple as ever; Vistula and Dniester form a good defensive position against attacks from future Slovakia. Who knows, maybe I’ll get lucky and I’ll manage (if Hungary stays neutral) to cut off Slovakia from the rest of Germany and annihilate the pocket. I can make Slovakia surrender by just capturing Bratislava (and Košice, if they aren’t Hungarian already), so maybe a bunch of 7TP and 9TP tanks could do the job quickly and efficiently.

Yellow lines mean the defense against Communists. While the Nemunas (I’ve messed up Narew and Nemunas) defense line is nicely situated behind a river, the rest of the line down from Pinsk Marshes is just one endless plain. I need to think about using the river Pripet River (around Pinsk Marshes) together with Bug to hide my troops behind rivers completely.

Huh, I hope I’ll remember to use these plans. I think I’m able to forget about mobilizing my army until 1st September :)

Infantry technologies are quite good, mostly like of any European nation.

clipboard03pr.jpg

Tank research is fairly advanced. After all, 7TP was better than Panzer I or II tanks, let alone Poles had even a few of 9TP tanks, but they had too little of them to make any substantial difference in the outcome of the war.

7tptank.png

clipboard04kd.jpg

Industrial research is OK too, nothing special to see here.

clipboard05f.jpg

As for the political situation, I’ll let it evolve on its own. I won’t really help the democrats to take the power (and thus ease joining the Allies) by raising dissent, nor I want to lose better laws provided by the PA party.

clipboard06l.jpg

Surprisingly, Poland has a bunch of mechanized support brigades already in 1936. On the other hand, it has only three true tank brigades and this need a change if I am to fight endless columns of Panzers.

clipboard07gf.jpg

This update is history. Stay tuned!

So your going to have to fight the Germans and Soviets both at once?

Well, unless British get pissed or I'll set their chances to 0, then most probably yes...

You certainly have your work cut our for you. Hopefully the Germans won't send over any more units to East Prussia. Nice update, will be an interesting AAR.

I've actually played this scenario several times, and I've never once been caught in a two-front war. I think the Soviets' likelihood of joining the war against you depends on Germany's initial success, though maybe I've just been lucky.

I'll definitely stay tuned, though, I'd like to see your attempt.

Ooh, one more bit of advice, if you can help it, you really want the PA in control until the war starts. It'll make your life easier in a few ways.

I've actually played this scenario several times, and I've never once been caught in a two-front war. I think the Soviets' likelihood of joining the war against you depends on Germany's initial success, though maybe I've just been lucky.

Good for you! :)

Ooh, one more bit of advice, if you can help it, you really want the PA in control until the war starts. It'll make your life easier in a few ways.

But how I'll join the Allies that way? Some expeditionary forces in Danzig or Konigsberg would surely come in handy...

But how I'll join the Allies that way? Some expeditionary forces in Danzig or Konigsberg would surely come in handy...
You'll get Guaranteed either way, and, once the war starts, you'll get a special decision to join the allies, regardless of your political party or alignment.

Speaking historically, I think that makes sense too. The allies at the time were worried about stopping Germany's expansion; they weren't acting out of love for Poland's government.

Meanwhile, being Facist will let you implement a collaboration government on captured germany territory, which gives you quite a bit of income from them. If you aren't facist, you'll also run risk of a "fifth column" event. If you're fighting the axis and a facist party is powerful, but not in charge (as the PA would be if the democrats come into power), you'll take heavy hits to productive efficiency, among other things.

You'll get Guaranteed either way, and, once the war starts, you'll get a special decision to join the allies, regardless of your political party or alignment.

Speaking historically, I think that makes sense too. The allies at the time were worried about stopping Germany's expansion; they weren't acting out of love for Poland's government.

Meanwhile, being Facist will let you implement a collaboration government on captured germany territory, which gives you quite a bit of income from them. If you aren't facist, you'll also run risk of a "fifth column" event. If you're fighting the axis and a facist party is powerful, but not in charge (as the PA would be if the democrats come into power), you'll take heavy hits to productive efficiency, among other things.

Alright, thanks for your tips! I'll see what I can do. And you're right; historically Ignacy Moscicki was in power during the war ;)

Russia basically never dows Poland. In HoI, Russia gets its share without lifting a finger.

Not necessarily. See this:

Code:
attack_on_poland = {
		major = yes
		potential = {
			tag = SOV
			not = { has_country_flag = "attack_pol" }
			not = { has_country_flag = "su_signs_peace" }
			has_country_flag = "mol_rib_pact"			# Agreed on the M-R Pact
			GER = { war_with = POL }					# The war has started
			not = { war_with = GER }					# Not at war with Germany
		}
		allow = {
			or = {
				POL = { faction = allies }				# Poland is Allied
				ENG = { guarantee = POL }				# Poland is guaranteed
			}
			POL = { government_in_exile = no }		# Only before they go to exile!
			not = { POL = { alliance_with = THIS } }
			not = { POL = { vassal_of = THIS } }	# Don't attack if they are with us!
			not = { POL = { faction = THIS } }
		}
		effect = {
			set_country_flag = "attack_pol"
			ENG = { country_event = 1410 }
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}

Last edited:
When Germany attacks you, you should DoW Russia, just for the fun :D