• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(59851)

General Secretary
Aug 13, 2006
Pieces of the Motherland - An Orthodox Russian ATR AAR

Pieces of the Motherland
An Orthodox Russian 'All the Russias' AAR​
January 4, 1936
Moscow, Russia

"Minister Denikin, we must speak. Do you have time now? It is urgent."

"Why, Sergius, my Patriarch, I always have time for you."

"We have a problem, Anton. It is Kerensky."

"Yes, I know, Kerensky. He has been ruling the country with too light a hand, not asserting his power over the breakaways."

"No, not that, Anton. He is dead."

"Dead? Patriarch, how?"

"A lone gunman. How he died is not important. What is important is that without him, the ruling coalition has effectively collapsed. The Mensheviks are moving to secure the coalition's seats in the Duma, and word is that Wrangel is organizing a coup on whomever the new government is."

"I must take action. Neither the Mensheviks or Wrangel would make suitable leaders for the Motherland. We need a strong leader to bring the Rodina to her rightful place in the world."

"You have the support of Russian Orthodox Church. You have my support, as Sergius I, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia."

"The army will never support the reds, and Wrangel can only grab ahold of the radical officers. I must take control of Russia, of the Motherland, if for no better reason than to save it from them. Thank you for informing me of this, Sergius. If you will excuse me, I must go. I have much work to do."
The following is an exert from Civil War to Unification: A History of Russia, 1917-1953 by J. Ringley:

. . . but by then, Russian Civil War had strained both Alexander Kerensky's White Russian Alliance and Vladimir Lenin's Bolshevik forces so much that neither side had the power to move against the other. The White Russians had control of most of Siberian Russia and South-East European Russia, but the Red Russians controlled most of European Russia, including the major industrial and transportation hubs. Kerensky became more and more desperate, unable to make a move, and sensing that the long-term trend was in the Red's favor, he made a deal with the new Polish state: if Polish forces came into the war on the side of the Whites, after the war they would gain some Russian territory and promised that the Ukraine would enter the Polish sphere of influence. With Polish help, St. Petersburg and Moscow fell by September 1921. The Russian Republic was proclaimed on October 12, 1921.

By this time what had been the Russian Empire had fragmented into a dozen pieces (see Fig. 1). In the North, Finlad was it's own country; in the Baltic, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania had declared their independence, as had Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and the Don-Kuban Union in the Caucasian region. The Ukraine was a Polish puppet, and Mongolia and Japan both took Russian land, with the Japanese gains becoming the Trans-Amur Republic; both countries held important parts of the Trans-Siberian Railroad. In Central Asia, Kazakhstan, Turkestan, and Tannu Tuva all became independent countries.

ATR-Map-Russia.jpg

Fig. 1​

Kerensky's helplessness in stopping these countries from breaking away, and refusal to take them back after the Civil War made him many enemies, and his coalition of Right Social Revolutionaries and Kadets was on the verge of falling apart at any time. After his assassination in 1936, four groups fought against each other for power:
  • the leftist Mensheviks, brothers to the extinct Bolsheviks
  • the fascist Chief of Security, Baron Wrangel
  • the old nobility, and their puppet leader Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich
  • the Minister of Defence, Anton Ivanovich Denikin, with the support of the army and the Orthodox Church
Denikin, with the army and the Russian Orthodox Church behind him, eventually siezed power, dissolving the Duma and arresting Wrangel. His rule would see the rise of. . .

Last edited:
Hello, everyone. This is my second AAR, based on Sarmatia1871's All the Russias mod. I intend to restore Russia to an Orthodox Russia, and extend it's borders as far as I can.

For all of you who endured my North American AAR (all seven of you), I thank you, and I assure you that I learned much from that, and I promise that this one will be much better.

For another 'All the Russias' AAR, there is Timotheos' "Consequences", an ATR AAR based around Italy.
And also SeanB's "Revenge and Glory", another ATR AAR.

Welcome, everyone, to "Pieces of the Motherland".

Index

Last edited:
Looks really good, but just wondering if you are using version .4a or .3 since in .4 there is a fourth option in Kerensky's assassination where the nobility and "old guard" take back power. If you don't have .4 you could just download it use some extra events from it.

Looks promising.
Good to see a second ATR-Denikin AAR up and running!

soonerborn0524 said:
I have ATR version 4.0, but I will still have Denikin take power. It is an Orthodox AAR, not a Russian Empire AAR.

Huh, I just wondered because for the event choice you didn't include them as one of the three groups here:

End of First Post said:
* the leftist Mensheviks, brothers to the extinct Bolsheviks
* the fascist Chief of Security, Baron Wrangel
* the Minister of Defence, Anton Ivanovich Denikin, with the support of the army and the Orthodox Church

I was just wondering, and so, do you plan to go for the faith and nation events.

Eams said:
Looks promising.
Good to see a second ATR-Denikin AAR up and running!
Second? I haven't seen the first. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

GeneralHannibal said:
Huh, I just wondered because for the event choice you didn't include them as one of the three groups.
Yes, I'll have to change that. I wrote the first post before Sarmatia got the files back online, and forgot to change that.

GeneralHannibal said:
I was just wondering, and so, do you plan to go for the faith and nation events.
Of course!

My thanks for mentioning my AAR. In keeping with this spirit I'll point out the other ATR AAR mentioned above is SeanB's AAR called Revenge and Glory.

Good luck with this AAR. Faith and Nation eh? Lots of European cores possible, but then I'm sure that Denikin wouldn't be planning any aggressive warmongering now would he... ;) ?

The First Months

ATR-DenikinMeeting1-4-361.jpg

January 18, 1936
Moscow, Russia

"Marshal Denikin, it is a pleasure to see you again."

"I am glad to see you as well, Mr. Puriskevich. May I call you Vladimir? Now, you may wonder why I have asked to meet me."

"Yes, I am curious as to the purpose of this summons."

"I am offering you a job."

"What kind of job?"

"Prime Minister, Vladimir. My right hand."

"Prime Minister? I do not know what to say, Marshal. This is unexpected."

"You can say yes! And please, call me Anton."

"Of course, I accept, Marshal-- Anton. Why me?"

"I thought it was obvious, Vladimir. Right now, my rule is shaky. The Russian people are upset about the state of the Motherland, and I widen my support base with your appointment. With you appointed as Prime Minister, number two in the government, the old nobility will be behind me. Once the common man gets used to us, he will support us also. And why not? Russia is an Orthodox nation, and the Russian people are an Orthodox people. With the backing of the army, the Church, and soon the old nobles, we have the support of almost all of Russia, except for the radicals."

"Yes, the conservatives will support you if you appoint me. It is a sensible thing to do."

"Then, Prime Minister, we have much to discuss before the announcement. . ."
The following is an exert from 1936: How Anton Denikin Changed Russia Forever in his First Year by W. Cooper:

. . . cabinet of Denikin shortly after he took power after the assassination of Kerensky was full of his closest supporters (see Fig 1). He focused his first few weeks on consolidating his power and reorganizing and updating the military.

ATR-DenikinMeeting1-4-362.jpg

Fig. 1​

Denikin almost immediately reorganized the Russian military, specifically the army. He divided the army into 3 division corps, with 30,000 men in each corps. He placed them in intervals along the border of the Baltic states, Poland, the Ukraine and the Don-Kuban Union, and began to train 2 cavalry divisions to join the single cavalry division on the Kazakh border. New technologies were researched, as Denikin wished to modernize the Russian armed forces.

The appointment of Vladimir Puriskevich over several other candidates (see Fig. 2) surprised some, but was in reality an ingenious move. It widened his base of support, and he gained many loyal conservative followers.

ATR-DenikinMeeting1-4-363.jpg

Fig. 2​

His appointment, along with a parade showing off Russia's newfound military power, calmed the Russian people, and there was a significant lowering of anti-Denikin partisan activity as more people began to accept the new government. When Moscow, the industrial, religious, and cultural center of Russia, was chosen to be the capital over St. Petersburg (see Fig. 3), many people took this as a sign that Denikin was in touch with the Russian people. . .

ATR-DenikinMeeting1-4-364.jpg

Fig. 3​

Shouldn't you have chosen the patriarch if you were to be truly Orthodox? Anyway, I hope Denikin can reform the country enough so he doesn't face a second civil war.

GeneralHannibal said:
Shouldn't you have chosen the patriarch if you were to be truly Orthodox? Anyway, I hope Denikin can reform the country enough so he doesn't face a second civil war.
The country is still Orthodox, and will be even more Orthodox later. Don't worry, the Church will be more involved in the government later.

How did you download ATR? I thought it was extinct. :confused:

Extinct. Certainly not. Sarmatia's just posted up a new version of it with some minor updates (possibly even major ones as he mentioned AI changes).

Vladimir Puriskevitch eh? Don't believe I've ever chosen him. Intriguing.

Setting of Policy and Stabbing of Backs
September 21, 1936
Moscow, Russia

"Anton, we have a problem."

"Sergius, my friend, what is it? Please elaborate."

"It is Pol'skii. As you know, he became Patriarch when you asked me to be in your cabinet, and since then. . . "

"Since then the Church has stopped supporting the government."

"Yes. If I were still Patriarch, you wouldn't have this problem, but he has. . . asked me to send you a message."

"A good message?"

"Possibly. He says that you can count on the support of the Church. . ."

"Wonderful!"

". . . if you give the Church special powers. He wants veto power, and a 'representative of the Orthodox Faith' to be your Prime Minister. I think that we both know who he has in mind."

"I must think about this before I take action. If I accept, I will clearly be back stabbing Puriskevich."

"Yes."

"The nobles will be mad. If I accept, they will back away from the government."

"You have a choice to make, Anton."

"I think that I just have to ask myself, which group do I value more, the old nobles, or the Church?"

The following is an exert from 1936: How Anton Denikin Changed Russia Forever in his First Year by W. Cooper:

. . . was not felt in most of Russia, apart from the major cities. To extend the power of the government, Denikin revived the Zemstva (see Fig. 1). The Zemstva was a system of local government, elected by many people of all classes. While they were elected, the question of how much each person's vote counted caused friction between Denikin and Puriskevich. Puriskevich wanted it to be like in the days of the Tsars, and the noble's votes to be weighed more than the peasants. This led to an argument between the two, and while Denikin eventually won, this is often cited as a reason for Denikin's betrayal of Puriskevich.

ATR-SettlingintoRoutine1.jpg

Fig. 1​

In June, after Puriskevich had been Prime Minister for several months, Mikhail Pol'skii, the new Patriarch following Denikin's friend Sergius entering his cabinet, withdrew the Church's support of Denikin's government. In early September, he demanded that the Church be recognized as the state religion of Russia, and that a Church representative replace Puriskevich as Prime Minister (see Fig. 2). Denikin, who could either have the support of the old nobility or the Orthodox Church, chose the latter, and Pol'skii was made the Prime Minister. The nobles felt betrayed, and they had been.

ATR-SettlingintoRoutine2.jpg

Fig. 2​

Later that month, Pol'skii created another crisis when he demanded that the Church have veto power over all new legislation (see Fig. 3). Denikin had no choice but to agree, but drew the line at restoring Tsarism, which Pol'skii was said to support. Denikin began looking for a way to reassert power over the Church.

ATR-SettlingintoRoutine3.jpg

Fig. 3​

Finally, in January, one year after he gained power, he set a clear policy, outlining his vision of Russia being one of the world's premier industrial powers (see Fig. 4). This policy is said the be the reason that. . .

ATR-SettlingintoRoutine4.jpg

Fig. 4​

Last edited:
I see that Russia is becoming more and more Orthodox. Maybe the Tsar will be re-installed soon.