Petition to rename Slavic Paganism

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very hard for me to see why a German would use a Slavic word that means "Native Faith" to describe his (unreformed, in game terms) pagan religion.

Plus, neopagan names are created by people with specific goals and agenda, they are not created with a goal of simply describing the old religion in the historical context.
Oh I am absolutely not in favor of using Rodnoverie, but would rather use any one of the multitudes of other suggestions that aren't just "slavic"

Reactions:
Yeah I see this whole threads goal as a way to offer many different suggestions for alternatives to "Slavic".

I don't think it's possible to get a name that is 100% agreeable by 100% of Slavs. But that's just me knowing what we're like and just how wildly different our languages are.

Reactions:
I don't think it is impossible to find a Slavic word that would not irritate modern speakers while also being readable by people who don't speak any of those languages (which is most people).

But I haven't seen a lot of popular suggestions in this thread either - was there anything aside from Slovenska Vera?

E.g. Volkhvstvo/ism/etc, while is not that German movement at all, doesn't sound like a good word to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
In Russian, you can add vowel in consonant clusters that appear when you add suffixes. Are volchovstvo and volchovism good to read?
In my head I've been adding an internal short "i" to Volkhv(-ism) so that it'd be pronounceable in English, leading to a (probably faulty) "vol-khiv"(-ism).

Volkhovism / Volchovism work from the perspective of getting an English tongue around it. "Volchovstvo" is only clumsy to me in English because "stvo" is an unusual letter cluster, although one that is tackleable.

The name should definitely be changed, but it shouldn't just be called 'Slavic.' I get that most modern terms are neopagan and ahistorical, but naming the faiths after cultures looks pretty ugly in my opinion - especially in a game where it's possible for those faiths to spread outside of their base cultures.
So what do you propose to rename Judaism and Hellenism to?

Slavic, or Slavic paganism, is what it is called. Yes, it's what we call it nowadays, not what they called themselves back then, but so is Byzantine Empire, for example. Which even has a contemporary name of Roman Empire, but they still use the modern name to distinguish from the Roman Empire before the fall of Rome. Slavic paganism, unlike Byzantine Empire, doesn't even have a contemporary name. The only name it has is the modern one - "Slavic paganism". It is the only name it has and there it just no other. So that's what should be used then. Or, as second best, something similar like Slavism.

Besides, now that it's discovered that the religion in the game is called Slavic, only the faith is poganstvo, perhaps the developers didn't exactly aim to distinguish the faith from culture, but from the name of the religion? Though it brings the question of how they solved it for other faiths that are presumably the only ones in their religion, like Hellenism and Kushite (which also happen to be named after cultures, demonstrating it's okay to do that).

P.S. Volkhovstvo does sound better than volkhstvo now that it's brought up.

Reactions:
So what do you propose to rename Judaism and Hellenism to?

Slavic, or Slavic paganism, is what it is called. Yes, it's what we call it nowadays, not what they called themselves back then, but so is Byzantine Empire, for example. Which even has a contemporary name of Roman Empire, but they still use the modern name to distinguish from the Roman Empire before the fall of Rome. Slavic paganism, unlike Byzantine Empire, doesn't even have a contemporary name. The only name it has is the modern one - "Slavic paganism". It is the only name it has and there it just no other. So that's what should be used then. Or, as second best, something similar like Slavism.

Besides, now that it's discovered that the religion in the game is called Slavic, only the faith is poganstvo, perhaps the developers didn't exactly aim to distinguish the faith from culture, but from the name of the religion? Though it brings the question of how they solved it for other faiths that are presumably the only ones in their religion, like Hellenism and Kushite (which also happen to be named after cultures, demonstrating it's okay to do that).

P.S. Volkhovstvo does sound better than volkhstvo now that it's brought up.
Judaism isn't "Hebrew", and Hellenism isn't "Greek" this is a false equivalency.

Reactions:
lmao, Pohanstvo (G turns into H in czech and slovak) in czech literally means paganism XDDDD every nonchristian was a "Pohan" but I agree that just refering to the slavic religion as "pagan" is kinda funny XD

Well, I like this. In Croatian 'pohan' means 'breaded and fried', Pohano meso usually refers to a variant of Wienerschnitzel and is accompanied by french fries.

Poganstvo in Croatian means paganism in general and depending of time and context can also include a variety of heathens and heretics, from muslims and protestants to marxists

As a curiosity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narentines

I'd suggest 'Staroslavensko' for slavic paganism. It sounds like a beer and would go perfectly with a nice juicy Vienna steak and french fries.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, I like this. In Croatian 'pohan' means 'breaded and fried', Pohano meso usually refers to a variant of Wienerschnitzel and is accompanied by french fries.

Poganstvo in Croatian means paganism in general and depending of time and context can also include a variety of heathens and heretics, from muslims and protestants to marxists

As a curiosity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narentines

I'd suggest 'Staroslavensko' for slavic paganism. It sounds like a beer and would go perfectly with a nice juicy Vienna steak and french fries.
So something in meaning similar to "Starosłowiański" in Polish? Old Slavic in English?

• 2Like
Reactions:
And why would they call themselves "Old"? And if it's from the modern perspective, then there already is an accepted name from the modern perspective - "Slavic paganism" (or it can just be shortened to Slavic when we already know from the context that it's a faith, or Slavism or something which can be rationalized as short for Slavic paganism). The absurdity of what we're doing here is that we'r trying to invent a name for something that already has it. It's not what they called themselves? Well, nothing is. So the best we can do as modern people is to call it with the name modern people already have for it, instead of trying to invent a word of the past for the people of the past, which they'll never adopt, because they lived a thousand years before us.

It would be more agreeable. Which means it'd be based on "Volkhv" if we/I am correct. A previous suggestion threw around Volkhvism, but if they want to give it a slavic feel perhaps Volkhvstvo? It's hard to say and I'd love to hear the opinions of other Slavs that have been keeping up with this.
As a South-Slav, I have no idea what that word means, nor how to pronounce it. :D

Reactions:
Not only Slavic religion is missnamed on this map, referring to Germanic religions as Asatru also makes no sense, since Asatru is the modern revivalist movement. They should return to CKII-like names for Pagan religions: Germanic, Slavic, etc.

But I want you all to notice something else. They have added a special religion for the ancient Hungarians called Magyar. But on this map, Alans of North Caucasus are still Tengri, like both them and Hungarians used to be in CK II. I think they definitely need to make another Alan religion as well, there's literally no reason for Alans to belong to Tengri faith, in CK II simplified their gameplay to a completely non-historical and non-realistic level. When I started to play as a Nomad Alan in the Charlemagne bookmark I didn't felt like I'm reviving Sarmatian presence in the Steppe region, while fighting hostile and completely foreign Turkic nomads and Muslim invaders, bur rather like I'm playing as another Turkic Nomad lord who's constantly being defended by his religious brethren every time Arabs from the south launch Holy Wars and Jihads towards me. This really isn't how they should be played and treated.

Should I make another thread for this topic so that Paradox delevopers would see this, or this post will do? Anyone agrees?

Reactions:
As a South-Slav, I have no idea what that word means, nor how to pronounce it. :D
As West Slav I have neither. Clearly some Russian word which got butchered by cyrylic and convertion to Latin alphabet using West European linguists, who tend to Englicize any word they can.

Reactions:
CKII-like names for Pagan religions: Germanic, Slavic, etc.
Issue is they are grouped. So You'd have "Slavic - Slavic Faith" or "Germanic - Germanic Faith". Which just looks weird I guess.

As West Slav I have neither.
It's probably old Slavic. I mean, if you look at really old English you would have absolutely no idea what you are reading, or how to pronounce it or what the words even mean.

Except Slavic not only changed but got split up into 3 language groups and those had all their own languages split off.

I would be extremely shocked if any word made sense in all the Slavic languages.

I'm not really sure why people expect it to make sense or be a word they recognize in any slavic languages, it doesn't sound like anything in Russian either. Wolf maybe, at best. But it doesn't mean that.

Last edited:
It's probably old Slavic. I mean, if you look at really old English you would have absolutely no idea what you are reading, or how to pronounce it or what the words even mean.

Except Slavic not only changed but got split up into 3 language groups and those had all their own languages split off.

I would be extremely shocked if any word made sense in all the Slavic languages.
I personally find even modern English problematic to pronounce, to the point when I find this language less comprehensible to me than medieval Latin. Besides, medieval Polish wasn't easy either, if I ever could show documents my teacher showed ous in our lessons, you would find it very confusing and hard to read aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.