• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In Stellaris I want for the sake of easier administration standards. Standard planets, basically Standard Build queues, and ... standardized pops, especially the only 65% remaining housing need ... so I purge slowly every other race with -5% per month, so the available building slots wont decrease. I would like to play a good empire, or federation. I will definitely buy the federations dlc and maybe origins alters in some kind the race traits.

Having said so, since I haven't played Imperator in a long time (only one completed game shortly after release) what are the endgame population statistics there nowadays, and how is pop migration there calculated? Does each pop consider migrating to any province of the map every single day?

The migration is calced for every province. So a province has only one migrate out, and possible more incoming. The migration is within a provincial state, and over ports to other ports. So not calced for each pop. And 'cause i mod rome 2 a little bit more, my pop numbers are higher than vanilla.

So a province has only one migrate out, and possible more incoming. The migration is within a provincial state, and over ports to other ports. So not calced for each pop.
If only a fraction of pops is eligible for a migration check, and not every province is considered, that may explain why Imperator has few performance complaints.

i think it also won't be recalculated until a pop has finally migrated, so even less calculations

I'll buy Federations, certainly because I'm a dipshit but I'm still hopeful...

If the game continues to be in this poor state after it, I will not invest more money in it unless they have the brillant idea to fix it...

It's my most played game on steam and it saddens me to do so...
This certainly will make paradox change their ways....not. It would probably be more prudent to wait till the first few patches of Federations roll around and then make a more informed decision to buy or not. Otherwise you’ll just be disappointed again and again. IMHO Stellaris 1.9 was peak Stellaris.

I find this hilarious that none of the devs have ever responded here.

This thread is literally a dumpster/containment zone created in orded to keep this issue away.

Today was my 4rth game that I have completed, which had a secondary goal of determining the root cause of endgame lag.
I believe I have made a huge discovery last night regarding the the performance problems and more specifically where it comes from.

It's not where you think it comes from.

Those games were somehow weird and had very specific setups, in an attempt to zero in on the issue.

However, before I post my findings, I believe I need to conduct more testing and play one final game to verify and expand upon my findings.
I will be making a seperate (long) post for this and will be posting savegames as well, because if I'm correct this is big! Apologies for the cliffhanger.

I dunno, that 13000 pop save posted in the thread has lagged severely on my comp, indeed, while my AARs did not, so pop number is definitely a factor.

I dunno, that 13000 pop save posted in the thread has lagged severely on my comp, indeed, while my AARs did not, so pop number is definitely a factor.

To wet your apetite, in my last controlIed game, I managed to get rid of all endgame lag. It plays almost like game start and I have 5k pops. I was always unable to play any longer on my rig. ***With No Mods***

Give me a few days - I'll load that save and try to fix it if I have the time.

To wet your apetite, in my last controlIed game, I managed to get rid of all endgame lag. It plays almost like game start and I have 5k pops.
Is it 5K of your pops or total? At 5K total there isn't much of a lag - I am getting ~5sec/month at around 5K total. If it's 5K of your pops only, then it would be interesting what is the total number of pops

5k total is quite a small number, so GnoSIS is definitely talking about their own pops.
I don't know if player's pops are treated differently, but I imagine there would be a big difference in performance depending on total number of pops, so 5K player pops + 2K AI pops and 5K player pops + 100K AI pops will perform very differently

I just don't understand why it's so slow, I thought killing some ai empire might help, but I believe the sheer amount of planets is a big problem. I have an i-9700k, but a normal day takes about 5s. I have the tiny outliner v2 mod running and some minor simple changes, that shouldn't effect the performance. In the save game there are about 700 planets colonized in sum

Also only one core is really used

Ok change of plans!! I won't try a new game.

Look what you made do now Teos, I had to buy Lithoids just to test your save!! XD. I can see from your empire that you my friend are guilty - like most of us.
It will take me several hours to go through it. But this save looks perfect to try my latest experiments & results!!

On my 6700HQ geforce 980m laptop, from loading the save, up untill the 2nd of the next month it took 3 minutes and 37 seconds. That's about 7.3 seconds per day. I don't think your 9700k made a difference.

Please stand by!!!

Look what you made do now Teos, I had to buy Lithoids just to test your save!!

Don't worry, I did the same with Ancient Relics. Gosh, bad perf is about to become a selling point... :eek:

Give me a few days

Ingame days?... :p More hyped than for patch release right now.

Look what you made do now Teos, I had to buy Lithoids just to test your save!
Don't worry, I did the same with Ancient Relics. Gosh, bad perf is about to become a selling point... :eek:
Ingame days?... :p More hyped than for patch release right now.
oh, that was something I didn't had in mind, when sharing the save ... If you want, I would transfer the money for the dlc's to you
On my 6700HQ geforce 980m laptop, from loading the save, up untill the 2nd of the next month it took 3 minutes and 37 seconds. That's about 7.3 seconds per day. I don't think your 9700k made a difference.
Please stand by!!!
I didn't stop the time, but maybe with the 9700k it would take about 2 min/month. Anyway If you could "fix" the issue, that would be insane cool

Last edited:
I have a 3800x and from my observations CPU usage is not even nearly at 100% when massive lagging begins in lategame.
Just playing a 1000 star galaxy game in 2400 and max difficulty with about 33k pops in the galaxy.
One single core runs at ~50-60% and the rest is below 10%.
To me it seems like the game is still making very poor use of available capacities, which would seem like poor optimization and insufficient use of multi-cores.

Last edited:
oh, that was something I didn't had in mind, when sharing the save ... If you want, I would transfer the money for the dlc's to you

No, what I meant is that I did buy a DLC just to be able to run tests on a save earlier this year, but that was not yours. That's two distinct cases of sold DLCs for perf testing only.

I didn't stop the time, but maybe with the 9700k it would take about 2 min/month. Anyway If you could "fix" the issue, that would be insane cool

Don't worry too much about it it was just 6 quid. However I started playing your save during the last 2 hours.
of course that wouldn't be the way I would play that game, but I can see it is long over.

I meant real days - it's so slow it takes ages to do anything. As for fixing it? I'll post the save along with my explanation and my ~5k pop save game.

So:

Old save:

The new resulting save, goes through a full month (2nd to 2nd of each month, including the long break after the 1st 2nd) on the same hardware at 43 seconds. But this is misleading, beacuse I killed/removed all opponents.
Still, it's the same pop numbers (18k+) So that's: 1.4 seconds per day = 520% faster! I expect your better hardware to do it 30%-40% faster.

Federation of planets, has trade mechanics, I wish there was a way to disable that. My other reference game is machine empire with no trade and it goes lightning fast about 3 days per second? at 5k pops, and we all know that trade has it's toll.

Anyone knows how to disable trade on a running game?

I'll post saves & explanations on what I did after I'm done....