• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CHAPTER THREE: THE RED DRAGON AND THE WHITE

dragonbattle.jpg

(MOOD MUSIC)

Excerpt from the Grimoire of Morgana Pendragon

18 July 1067

Courtship is not as I remember it. It is much, much better.

When old Urien of Rheged sought my hand in marriage back in my former life, he sent me a legal charter offering me various tracts of land in return for an alliance with “my sorcery.” He had never even met me before, and he certainly never called me by name during our brief union. While our marital alliance served its purpose, it was never what I would call an affectionate relationship.

My intent in inviting young Eadgar to my court had been to find a mate suitable for siring proper heirs, nothing more. But he is so charming and chivalrous, it's hard to resist his advances. He’s always presenting me with the most beautiful flowers. He’s even actually written me some love poetry. Granted his poems were in a heavy Anglo-Saxon dialect and therefore a bit rough on my sensitive Brythonic ears. But still, his heart was in the right place. And that silly little minstrel that he got to play the lute for him while he sang the words to me! I couldn’t help but laugh at the sight, but it was such a sweet gesture.

gwainemorgana2.jpg

The closest Urien ever came to writing me poetry was a drinking song he came up with one night while celebrating with his men. It went something like this:

“There once was a girl named Morgana,
Whose hair was as long as a banner.
But her sour face encouraged much laughter,
So they all lived happily ever after.”

He concluded it with a belch. That incident certainly helped me make up my mind about whether or not to poison his mead and steal his kingdom. He died laughing at me, the drunken pig. Good riddance.

So it is not as if I was pursuing some foolhardy, romantic notion of courtly love. I had thought to use Eadgar for his claim on the English throne, but I had not previously considered that he might actually be worthy of that crown. He is stalwart, brave, fair-minded and… goddess, those cheekbones! The man is every inch a king, everything I was looking for and more.

I had planned to ensorcel him with my feminine wiles. Can it be that instead it is I who has fallen under his spell? I was not prepared for this. I have not been in such abject thralldom to my emotions since… since Merlin and I were young together. And that certainly didn’t go the way I planned.

I cannot afford to succumb to mere attraction like this. I am not some doe-eyed handmaiden besotted over her gallant knight, I am Morgana, the greatest sorceress this world has ever known and the rightful Queen of the Britons! But how can a woman resist such charms? More importantly, why would she want to?

***​

A letter found tucked between the pages of the Grimoire of Morgana Pendragon

Undated

To ðe Lady Morgana, of all ðe maides in all ðe lande, most faire.

When fyrste I saw ðy face, yt was as yf myne hearte had stoppt yts beating. How coude I hafe ever dreamt ðat souche an one as ðou coude dwelle in ðese mournfull and God-forsakyne landes?

I had þought ðat ðe greatest day of myne lyfe was when ðe witenagemōt chose me to be ðeir kyng, to dryve back ðe moste vile Normann fiend ynto ðe depths of ðe sea. But souche þings were nought to be, for myne earls forsooke me, and all my friendes and kinsfolk, save my fewe trewe housecarles.

And I never þought to be gladde of yt, untill ðe day I fyrste beheld ðat whiche ys fairest. Yndeede, I never þought to be merrie again.

But now let a þousand kyngdoms of men falle, and let ðe stars falle fromme ðe heavenes, and let ðe sunne cease fromme yts lighte. Yt matters nought, for I hafe beheld ðe Lady Morgana, who among all women ys fairest.

By my trouþe, I sweare to be ðine untill deaþe takes me fromme ðis vale of tears, for I coude never luve anoðere one souche as ðee even yf I were to lyve a þousand years.

Canne yt be ðat ðou coudest luik upon me wyþe ðe same fondnyss? Willt ðou be myne as I am ðyne?

Myne hearte longes for ðy trewe answere.

Ever ðyne,

EADGAR, who amongst ðe fallyne Ænglisc ys called ÆÞELING

***​

Excerpts from the Grimoire of Morgana Pendragon

9 August 1067

Today I wedded my handsome knight. Goddess help me.

ck2_97.png

***​

21 September 1067

My dear husband has purposed to make me a wedding gift of that vestige of Cambria that has yet to acknowledge my right to rule.

As is fit and proper, I have appointed him to be the Marshal of my hosts, such as they are. His companions, or “housecarls” as he calls them, have made a fine addition to our warband. Their heavy mail hauberks and fine big axes give them quite a fearsome appearance. And at their head, Eadgar looks most regal dressed in his crimson cloak and tabard, even emblazoned as they are with the Saxon dragon.

gwaine2.jpg

The irony of those arms is not lost on me. The striving of the red dragon and the white was a harbinger of doom even as far back as the time of King Vortigern. It would seem that in the time since the passing of my brother that the Saxon dragon has taken on a distinctive golden hue. I suppose that is not altogether inappropriate, since the Cerdingas have ruled as kings in the lost lands for upwards of five hundred years now.

But all this means is that I have accomplished something even the great Merlin could not have foreseen. In days of yore, the white dragon of the Saxons and the red of House Pendragon were symbols of two bitter enemies in a death struggle over all Britannia, icons of strife in an era of war. But now the two bloodlines shall be united in one. In the face of new enemies I have joined together the red dragon and the white under my own aegis. So whether red, white or gold, it matters not what color the dragon takes so long as it is still the Pendragon.

The army set off for Caerdyf a few weeks ago, and the news from the battlefront is most promising. I was very pleased to note that this portion of Siluria is now known as Morgannwg. It goes to show that these peasants have some memory of their true place in the world, and so I am hopeful that they shall make fine subjects once they have been purged of their false liege lords.

I am told that Eadgar has won a great battle in the south. Although I have been seated safe and secure in my stronghold while he and his men have endured the dangers of battle, I must admit some small part in their success. I have endowed him with a wedding gift of my own making, a magical amulet that imbues its wearer with a very special ability. Although it does not make its wearer invulnerable to harm, it will stanch the flow of blood from any wounds that he does happen to receive, ensuring that he will live to fight another day even after receiving the most grievous of injuries.

Of course, it’s not as if I’m expecting any particular danger from the petty folk of Siluria. Those proles will submit or their crops will wither and their homes will burn. But one can never be too careful.

I anticipate that tomorrow I shall awaken to the news that I am Queen of a united Cambria. It shall be a glorious new dawn, born though it is of fire and blood.

The day is not far distant when all of Britain shall acknowledge the rule of the Two Dragons. Let them arise!

BurningShieldwall.png

***​

Last edited:
Shouldn't Edgar have used a thorn (þ) rather than an eth (ð) a few places in his love letter? And why is Aethling spelled with neither?

RESPONSES:

loki100: Of course he's well-bearded. He's a good Saxon after all. :D

Mr. Capiatlist: Thanks mate!

richvh: Simple, old chap. Because this is a quick and dirty AAR. I just threw that bit together for fun. If I'd wanted true accuracy, I'd have written in Old Ænglisc instead of what we might call Faux Ænglisc. (Of course then very few people would be able to actually comprehend it). Also, I thought that adding in one defunct letter might prove difficult enough for the readership to figure out. However, since it bothered you enough to comment about it, I shall add in the thorns just for you. :rolleyes: Enjoy!

Last edited:
richvh: Simple, old chap. Because this is a quick and dirty AAR. I just threw that bit together for fun. If I'd wanted true accuracy, I'd have written in Old Ænglisc instead of what we might call Faux Ænglisc. (Of course then very few people would be able to actually comprehend it). Also, I thought that adding in one defunct letter might prove difficult enough for the readership to figure out. However, since it bothered you enough to comment about it, I shall add in the thorns just for you. :rolleyes: Enjoy!
Personally, I used ð in my con-lang because I knew the alt-characters to type it without going into intsert>symbols.

She's doing nicely, I admit.

Nice update - good to see Eadgar doing the business! ;) As for Morganna, it would seem that she's mellowing in her (old-young?) age, getting all swoony over Eadgar and praising peasants as (potential) good subjects?

Look forward to the next one.

RESPONSES:

Mr. Capiatlist: I used to use character map, but at this point in my studies I've pretty much got something with Anglo-Saxon characters open all the time, so now I just cut and paste from whatever's open.

Kurt_Steiner: Thanks, Kurt. Here's hoping Lady M. can keep it up!

Lanlier: Thanks! Glad you noticed that. I wanted to show a different side of Morgana as well as demonstrate the notion that being thrust back into the prime of life has a multiplicity of consequences. I liked the thought that she was originally planning to take on the part of the demure young lady as a deception, but that to her surprise she actually found herself enjoying the role. But don't worry, Morgana's darker side isn't going anywhere any time soon. Just wait until the next hapless fool tries to cross her!

Well. I finally got around to check up your AAR here after you abandoned the updates over at WePlayCiv. Seeing as I was the only reader, fully understandable.:p Subbed and eagerly awaiting the next update on this entertaining AAR.:)

All caught up and thoroughly enjoying it, although a part of me hurts for Eadgar. He is so noble and heroic, he seems a bit naive, and unaware of how truly evil his beloved is.

Heh; Morgana thinks that she has no one that can truly challenge her now, just wait until she gets the attention of the Old Man of the Mountains and his cult of brainwashed assassins. ;) Then of course, there's the future Great Kahn (or perhaps Khamun) of the Mongols...

One issue with that Baldor... She's in England. The Hashies are in the Mid East, and the Mongols rarely make it as far as England. (Though the HRE and Scandinavia's no problem...)

Awesome AAR so far! I am enjoying it immensely!

RESPONSES:

crusaderknight: Always a pleasure to hear from you. I'm glad you're enjoying the story. As for Morgana's true nature... she's definitely very corrupted and very bitter, though whether she is wholly evil at heart remains to be seen. She still has a long road ahead of her. And don't discount Eadgar's potential to effect change for the better. ;)

Baldor Arbanus: Yeah, I don't think Morgana would be terribly concerned about the likes of the Mongols or the Hashishin. However, there are some other, more ancient powers with which she will soon come into contact that will pose more of a challenge to her. Glad to have you on board.

Prince of Savoy: Indeed. Welcome to the AAR and thanks for commenting!

RESPONSES:

crusaderknight: Always a pleasure to hear from you. I'm glad you're enjoying the story. As for Morgana's true nature... she's definitely very corrupted and very bitter, though whether she is wholly evil at heart remains to be seen. She still has a long road ahead of her. And don't discount Eadgar's potential to effect change for the better. ;)

I always thought that Morgana was too deep in darkness to "recover" from it, even if she wanted. I don't think that the Dark Powers would let her go.

Haha, well that kind of deep corruption is not something you simply "recover" from, and it's definitely not something you can completely overcome without external intervention of some sort either. But really, at this point it's simply way too early to definitively say what Morgana's fate will be, one way or the other.

I will say that there will be one or two new characters introduced in the next update that are going to shake things up quite a bit though, so we'll have to wait and see what happens. :)

Thanks for reading, as always.

Last edited:
Suscribed! Long live to the High Queen!

(Actually, it is a shame she is so harsh...)