• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

yardenko

Corporal
May 11, 2022
I am here to show you that you can abuse the compositions of 6 CV and bring 4 effective carriers with NAVs and 2 with fighters.
The reason for it is that penalty for carriers is actually applied to the number of airwings.
Many probably know that you can use 6 deck carriers and simply fill 3 first with 80 NAVs and 3 last with 80 fighters. You have 240/240 NAV/F2 split without any penalty.
But you can do better!

6 carriers = penalty 40%.
We will need 10 air wings. Watch my hands, every line is a carrier.

1CV: 80 NAV
2CV: 80 NAV
3CV: 79 NAV, 1 F2
4CV: 79 NAV, 1 F2
5CV: 79 F2, 1 NAV
6CV: 79F2, 1 NAV.

First 6 wings out of 10 will operate without a penalty -> we have 318 operating NAVs;
4 last wings will receive a penalty, but it doesn't matter for fighters. You can also overcrowd fighters till around 90 for a 80 deck CV. You should not do it for bombers unless:

1) have Isoroku Yamamoto as Admiral (or similar dude),
2) You are Japan or can receive a similar Sortie efficiency spirit/ Advisor
3) You are using Base Strike, which, although arguably, but sux for naval battle.

anyway, the number of additional effective planes you can bring per 100 deck carrier (scales down for a 80 deck by multiplying with 0.8) is:

n(additional planes)=(sortie_efficiency (in decimal) - 1)*50/(sortie_efficiency (in decimal)
or n=(SE-1)*50/SE

the number is 62.5 instead of 50 if you go base strike and research a -20% penalty to carrier overcrowding.
You can bring 5-10 planes more as a reserve, but it reduces the effectiveness of your initial strike. It is up to you.

If you time you fight, so you can reliably get 2 sorties per day, these NAVs are very effective.

Summary: Due to our little ExPlOiT: we can field 318 NAV and 160 fighters with 6CV 80 deck without any penalty, which is debatably a peak Carrier efficiency.

Reactions:
This
6 carriers = penalty 40%.
is correct. This
We will need 10 air wings.
however, is not. With 40% penalty you get 60% of your wings flying. Amount of wings in fleet is calculated like so
Code:
[amount of "active" wings]/(1-[penalty])=[total amount of wings in fleet]
assuming the goal is to to send out 4 wings:
Code:
4/(1-0.4) = 6.[6] wings total
or only a single "filler" wing (just a single plane of different type) for the entire fleet (since game tends to round all numbers down). In theory, you should be able to send out 5 NAV wings with 6 carriers, arranging wings on carriers like this:

4x NAV
1x NAV + 1 "filler" wing (preferably FTR as it will actually be launched, even if it won't turn the battle around)
1x FTR + 2 "filler" wings (CAS and NAV)

but I never tried that, so I have no idea which wing is launched "first" - probably, same as with carriers: the first one in list.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This

is correct. This

however, is not. With 40% penalty you get 60% of your wings flying. Amount of wings in fleet is calculated like so
Code:
Code:
or only a single "filler" wing (just a single plane of different type) for the entire fleet (since game tends to round all numbers down). In theory, you should be able to send out 5 NAV wings with 6 carriers, arranging wings on carriers like this:

4x NAV
1x NAV + 1 "filler" wing (preferably FTR as it will actually be launched, even if it won't turn the battle around)

but I never tried that, so I have no idea which wing is launched "first" - probably, same as with carriers: the first one in list.
I tested it during the Royal fleet challenge.
All 4 first carriers send NAVs. That means that all my NAV wings are flying and striking.
Yes, the first wing has a priority or "counts" as first. But your setup is better.

You can actually get not 318 NAVs, but really 400 + safe overstacking. it is really huge! Well done! :)
It might be very counterable by pure fighters setup, but there is always a chance to one shot fighter carriers or damage their org so the fighters do nothing. Cool!

Last edited:
This

is correct. This

Code:
Code:

4x NAV

I tried this one vs UK fleet. From what I see, it performs worse than a 4/2 split, because UK NAVs actually manage to deal dmg, deorging CVs and reducing the effectiveness. But it was TI. With BS they could stay firm and persevere, BUT I am in a strong belief that BS is bad doctrine and our CA become garbage with it.

I could get Plat award, using 6CV (4 with NAVs, 318 in total), 20 LA CA, 81 DD = 225000, winning vs UK fleet, but not like 100%. Rather 70-80%.
I could test more and with BS, but I am doing too much naval battling this week :D.
Thank you for your input

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
How does the game count what the first CV with the first airwing is?
Just top to bottom in the taskforce overview, so if you want to reorder ist, split of carriers and remerge them with the TF?

How does the game count what the first CV with the first airwing is?
Just top to bottom in the taskforce overview, so if you want to reorder ist, split of carriers and remerge them with the TF?
Yup, top to bottom, as listed. Do note that "external" air support also takes a slot; @bitmode explained it here in a bit more detail.

Reactions: