• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King of Men

Resident Opportunist
83 Badges
Mar 14, 2002
ynglingasaga.wordpress.com
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
"Peace In Our Time" is the last installment of a multiplayer megacampaign that started in CK2 in 1066, and has passed through EU3, Victoria 2, and will now convert to HoI3. The 1936 setup, then, is somewhat unusual:

• Islamic Spain is at war with the Christian nations of Europe, and losing badly. Late 1935 saw the collapse of the defensive line in Africa, and even the Pyrenees, drenched in blood through these ten years of futile assaults, do not look like they can hold much longer.
  • The foremost among the Great Powers are in Asia: Malaya, India, China. The latter two are nominal belligerents on Spain's side, but a ceasefire has been in effect on their fronts since 1930; they are perhaps content, as is neutral Malaya, to see Europe tear itself apart.
  • South America is drenched in darkness: The bloody sacrifices of the Aztecs joined to the efficient bureaucracy of the unconquered Inca makes a state only marginally more terrible at war than in times of peace.
  • The European peninsula, although currently united (for the first time ever, and even so Greece must be excepted) against their Islamic enemy, remain a fractious and squabbling lot. Poor Greece, last remnant of the Roman Empire, sided with Spain (a traditional expedient of Christian states whose diplomacy has been going badly) and was rather promptly crushed when the soldiers of Islam failed to break out of the Pyrenees; Greece is currently completely occupied by the victorious Northern Alliance. Germany (comprising, roughly, OTL Switzerland, Bavaria, Prussia, and various connecting bits) initially did the same but was bought off by some long-coveted Scandinavian territory; Scandinavia is not pleased but will ignore the issue while the Great War is still on. Russia, greatest of the Christian land powers, similarly had to buy off Mongolia, and tends to look a bit nervously at its Asian and Caucasian borders while its armies are busy in France and Africa. England and Scandinavia have seen their traditional naval dominance in the Atlantic challenged by the Inca; a decisive battle has not yet been fought - and both sides look over their shoulders at "neutral" Malaya, who with the world's largest navy and air force certainly holds the balance of naval power. Finally, Italy has embraced the opportunity to rush to the aid of the victors, and in the process exhausted most of its armies; its allies are quite grateful for the sacrifice of millions of peasants that broke the defense of Africa, but the gratitude of nations is worth its weight in gold.
  • The endgame approaches. Will the Asian powers manage to overcome their mutual suspicions and invade Russia to break Europe once and for all? Will the Europeans maintain their brief unity in the face of the Yellow Menace, or will the lure of territorial ambitions unsatisfied for centuries, (or perhaps revenge for one of the five Baltic Wars) prove too much for some revanchist? Will the peace of the Americas continue to hold when the Great War peters to its end, and a new source of victims is necessary to power the fires of the Sun? Will Malaya spread its revolution by the bayonet? Can the leadership of a quantum-mechanically reincarnated medieval dynast overcome the well-known tendency of Germany to lose all its armies in the first year of a war? Will Scandinavia finally achieve its ambition of making the Baltic a Norse lake, and does that even matter in HoI3's economic model? Stay tuned. The one thing that's certain is that there will be little peace in our time.

Index post for Norwegian AARs.

1936: House of War, introduction covering the imminent fall of Spain.
1935: The Last Ditch, part 1 of a retrospective look at the Home Front in Norway just before the conversion and the end of the Great War.
1936: Study War no More, part 2 of the revolutionary retrospective.
1937: The Limits of War and Peace, a philosophical interlude.
1938: The Prestige of the Dynasty, in which I explain how the Devil Norway manages to go to war with its recent allies just a few years after the immense slaughter of the Great War. I'm reasonably convinced this is the simplest possible explanation.
1939: The Military Picnic, containing some incidents of the Norwegian campaign, if that is the word, in northern France.
1940: The East Shall Wake, some philosophy around the causes of the (probably) Last War.
1941: Strangling the Jackal, game narrative of the Bavarian Campaign.
1941: The Last Redoubt, my failed plan to end the Bavarian campaign quickly.
1941: Hunting von Hentzau, part I - explanations of the immense capacity for resistance of the German army.
1941: Hunting von Hentzau, part II - what the Norwegians intend to do about it.
1941: Hunting von Hentzau, part III - the end of the last feudal lord; or is it?
1941: Random screenshots - just some quick glimpses of earlier battles, as I was out of town.
1942: The Work of the Day - a look at what happened to the Communist movement in Norway after the Two Revolutions.
1942: Overview November 1942 - a look at the fighting fronts, to give better context to narratives.
1943: Not Yet Begun To Fight - reflections on the loss of the Army of the Sudan.
1943: Gameplay September 1943
1944: The Final Peace - we ended the game in a compromise peace.

Last edited:
Brovarian AArs goes there.

As a reminder the Vicky thread.

Chinese AARs can be found in their entirety at ederon.net, the link to which can be found here.

This little peanut is reporting in. I'm going to bombard you with uninformed questions and opinions ;)

How does the Spanish front look post conversion?

Everyone's armies are scaled down a bit and the mountains don't give a crazy bonus like they do in Vicky so it is pretty hopeless for Spain.

Right now Granada has fallen and much of Navarra is under French or Russian control. The eastern Pyrenees hasn't been breached for now.

It will probably take some time to sort out and organize when the session starts.

Can you please provide us links to you previous AAR of this campaign? I've tried going through other games AAR and your signatures but I am apparently blind :eek:o Also sub, this looks interesting.

Can you please provide us links to you previous AAR of this campaign? I've tried going through other games AAR and your signatures but I am apparently blind :eek:o Also sub, this looks interesting.

CK2: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...mpaign-AAR&p=15316264&viewfull=1#post15316264

EU3: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-more-unto-the-breach-quot-an-MP-Megacampaign

Vicky: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...At-civilization-s-end-quot-an-MP-Megacampaign

Also, don't believe Norwegian propaganda about Roman armies! They have rebuilt quite nicely despite AI general "Mad Dog" Pagonis' disregard for human life. Perhaps he was a visionary and killed off the regular infantry peasantry to make room for the shiny new artillery and anti-tank weapons in the divisions of the future.

I'm still amazed that the AI didn't immediately collapse in upon itself when asked to run a player-build empire in MP. :D

How have resources like leadership been distributed?

Cool! Count me in.

How have resources like leadership been distributed?
Funny you should ask that, as Leadership has been the primary reason for the last two or three converisons. Somebody whinged, and lo and behold, a new conversion appeared. These are three of the four latest attempts at redistributing leadership; they represent the 5th, 7th and 8th conversion versions.
Code:
These are the Base Leadership points in RC5 and RC7. BASE leadership, like base IC, is what you're really getting.

____RC5___RC7___RC8
IND__32____15___15 --India
CHI__23____13___14 ----China
INO__29____16___17 ----Indonesia
BOL___5_____5____9 ----< Bolivia(!)
NOR___6_____7___12 -----Norway
SOV__17____12___26 ----Soviet
MON__10_____9___13 -----Mongolia
ENG__13_____7____9 -----Great Britain
ITA____7_____6___10
FRA___10____15___11
GER___10____17___11
SPA____7____8____4
PAK____3____10___6 -----Pakistan

These are the points displayed by tooltip in the Leadership/research tab. Not the tech/education law modified numbers you see in the log-file.

The House of War

The armies of Islam are in retreat.

The Morocco Offensive, patiently prepared in the year-long retreat to the Atlas mountains, carefully supplied with guns and ammunition sorely needed against the Russians, ruthlessly kept secret until almost the hour of the preliminary bombardment - the offensive that was to break the armies of the infidel and sweep from Gibraltar to the sources of the Nile, winning the Great War on the way - has failed. The Sahel cannot be conquered thus; its vastness dwarfs all human ambition, deadens fanaticism, swallows enthusiasm, destroys elan. The Sultan's soldades drove their enemies back and back, from Casablanca to the Gold Coast - but no further; and in spite of the thousands and tens of thousands that left their bones in the desert, they failed to break the armies of Norway, of England, or of Russia. They made western Africa a charnel house; but they did not end the war. And when their hoarded ammunition was gone and the bravest of the faithful had paid the price of the aggressive courage that leads from the front - then their enemies were still there, battered as regiments but intact as armies, ready to fight with dogged determination and hard-learned skill a third time over the same ground they had taken the year before. The Spanish regiments that reached the Atlas again were as badly shattered as those that fought in the Winter of the Faith; this time, even the mountain redoubts did not hold. Only Iberia remains, now - the final stronghold of Islam against the infidel. And though Spain is not without friends, and though the peasant soldiers of the peninsula have carried the Crescent Banner through disaster and defeat many times, still, of the Muses only Calliope is impressed by the plight of a beleaguered garrison. Her sister Clio is a heartless bitch, and favours only the big battalions; and, in this year of grace 1936, all the armies of Europe are, at last, ranged against Islam. Not even the European Jihad saw that happen; and united Christendom is in no mood to show mercy to its ancient foe. This time there will be no peace, not even a bear's peace, negotiated from the mountain fortress of the Alps. This time the long retreat of the Sultan's armies will end when the Spanish state can fight no more.

africa_skull.jpg

But if the ancient strife of Christian and Moslem is - perhaps! - about to reach its end, still, history is not over. Behind Spain loom the shadows of its puppet-masters, the nations for whom three million European dead are only a good beginning: Wealthy India, enigmatic China, blood-stained Inca of the thousand sacrifices. What will the real victors of the War, the ones whose industries have grown fat on delivering guns to both sides of the front, do when the war is over? The unity of Europe is a fragile thing, papered over ancient quarrels. It cannot outlast the war; and when it ends, will not the wolves of Asia pick a weakened victim and fall upon it openly? The subterfuge by which Spain and Greece were ground to dust will no longer be required against a Europe that has bled itself white.

Ah, but perhaps these are only night fears, to be dispelled by the coming of peace. Perhaps the beginning of the War was what it looked like, nations stumbling into conflict because they were led by mediocrities (*) when statesmen were needed; perhaps the appearance of a deep-laid plan to finally destroy the nations that once threatened to conquer all of Asia is only that - an appearance, a shadow. Perhaps, when the last gun falls silent in the shattered streets of Granada, there will be peace in our time. Perhaps humans can finally learn the hard lessons of machine gun and trench, and send no more young men to their deaths in the blood-stained mud.

And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.

(*) With myself as the chief mediocrity. I did not in fact intend to kick off a Great War when I accepted Russia's call to arms; nor did I intend to lose 100 prestige when I neglected to support Russia in the crisis. Both things happened because I was paying attention to industry, not diplomacy.

Map of Victoria at the conversion:

ACE_1935_800.png

Not shown: The occupation of all of Spanish and Greek Africa by the armies of the Northern Alliance.

New Leadership chart! Now with approximate IC as well!

Code:
These are the Base Leadership points in RC5 and RC7. BASE leadership, like base IC, is what you're really getting.

____RC5___RC7___RC8___RC9
IND__32____15___15_____17 --India 200+ IC
CHI__23____13___14_____15 ----China 170+ IC
INO__29____16___17_____16 ----Indonesia 300+ IC
BOL___5_____5____9_____10 ----Bolivia ~Less than 100 IC
NOR___6_____7___12______8 -----Norway ~70 IC
SOV__17____12___26_____15 ----Soviet ~ 170+ IC
MON__10_____9___13_____12 -----Mongolia ~ 100+ IC
ENG__13_____7____9______9 -----Great Britain~200+ IC
ITA____7_____6___10_____10 ----Italy -less than 100 IC
FRA___10____15___11_____15 ----France ~120+ IC
GER___10____17___11____16 -----Germany ~90 IC
SPA____7____8____4______7  --- -Spain
PAK____3____10___6______10 -----Pakistan ~Less than 100 IC

These are the points displayed by tooltip in the Leadership/research tab. Not the tech/education law modified numbers you see in the log-file. (Decimals are not included, for convenience's sake.) The IC numbers are Base IC.
I ran the game a while to make sure most "damaged" IC was repaired.

Wow, leadership fluctuates a lot between conversions. Looks like the latest one has no one over 20, which promises a more equal game than the one with India at 32. IC distribution looks a bit skewed, but I guess that depends on industrial power in Vic II.

Yes, even Germany, at half of the IC of SOV and CHI, have more Leadership than either.