• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It has begun!

Greece was annexxed by the powers in defiance of the agreed to peace treaty. But peace was declared anyway. The Democratic governments have headed back to civilian economy.

And three of the four east Asian countries are at -50% IC, thanks to neutrality.

Spain cedes the rest of dejure France and all of its overseas possessions (Africa and Cuba) to the Northern Alliance.

Not all. He's keeping a largish chunk of worthless sub-Saharan West Africa, three Caribbean islands, and that bit of South America that Spain has had since agreeing to be the European tool of Incan foreign policy in early EU3. To be sure, he retains all the actually productive lands, the Iberian peninsula that has the industry and manpower. Why we are allowing him to survive this is beyond me.

Why we are allowing him to survive this is beyond me.
Hey, it's not like I started this war. ;)

I haven't checked fully, but it appeared that Morocco was the primary valuable piece of Africa, which I imagine Spain held since early CKII, so you adding that as a goal as an addition beyond the original peace talks was not appreciated. But Spain is suitably chastened, and I'll seek to rebuild my industry in isolation rather than take back the fruits of Spanish labor stolen by France-Allemagne.

The annexxation of Greece was not in the understanding of the agreement, of Cease Fire and Peace. Shall we see Peace in our Time?

Not all. He's keeping a largish chunk of worthless sub-Saharan West Africa, three Caribbean islands, and that bit of South America that Spain has had since agreeing to be the European tool of Incan foreign policy in early EU3. To be sure, he retains all the actually productive lands, the Iberian peninsula that has the industry and manpower. Why we are allowing him to survive this is beyond me.

As a purely hypothetical question, who would have gotten Iberia if you were to annex Spain? I could imagine it would have disturbed the balance of powers were it to fall to France or Italy in its entirety, and I can't see how that would have been in your best interest. Who got Greece, by the way, and is it worth anything?

Is the pan-Asian alliance actually formally a thing? Or is it just KoM being conspiratorial? Could, let's say, a Russian-Chinese division of Mongolia conceivably happen in the current diplomatic climate?

Is the pan-Asian alliance actually formally a thing? Or is it just KoM being conspiratorial? Could, let's say, a Russian-Chinese division of Mongolia conceivably happen in the current diplomatic climate?
It's just KoM's usual hyperbole. Only India and China are allied, and Indonesia/Malaya hasn't got low enough neutrality to ally anyone. Neither has Mongolia, but he's already allied to Russia, which makes him de facto a part of a Pan-Eurasiatic Mega-alliance, stretching as far south as the Cape, from Morocco in the West to Kamchatka in the East.

It was only propaganda to scaremonger Italy, France and Bavaria into joining with Russia/Norge, I believe? It is not a thing.

Hey, it's not like I started this war. ;)

I haven't checked fully, but it appeared that Morocco was the primary valuable piece of Africa, which I imagine Spain held since early CKII, so you adding that as a goal as an addition beyond the original peace talks was not appreciated.

In early January of 1936, I had the strong impression that you intended to fight it out to the end, peace talks having very consistently failed in ten years of Victoria war. Thinking you were about to be partitioned, I added a war demand more or less at random to avoid the situation we had with Greece. The eventual limited peace was a complete surprise to me, and I still opine that we should have taken our chances with Malayan intervention and crushed you utterly. If you had some private peace talks with Oddman, or something of the sort - and the Asians are throwing about all kinds of "X was agreed to" statements not backed up by any public diplomacy that I'm aware of - then you should have made them public.

As for starting the war, I'm sure a war-guilt clause can be arranged. Please observe that Norway joined three days after the outbreak of hostilities, and cannot be blamed for the declaration of war.

Morocco has no raw materials, 2 leadership, 4 manpower, and 1.75 industry. (Before non-core penalties or tech bonuses.) As African regions go, it is no doubt quite valuable. It does not qualify as a body blow to Spanish national power.

Who got Greece, by the way, and is it worth anything?

The HoI engine gave it to us more or less in the occupation zones from Vicky, which are a horrible random mess because they weren't planned, they came about from the attacks and counterattacks of six different nations across most of Africa. We're working out some reasonably rational borders; I'll post pictures when the edits are done. It's not hugely valuable; I haven't got detailed numbers but I imagine that if Norway annexed it completely it might add 10% to my industry.

As a purely hypothetical question, who would have gotten Iberia if you were to annex Spain?

Very good question. I think we might have gone for four occupation zones; but partitioning Spain would have led to Malayan intervention, so who knows what we'd have ended up with. :)

Wow this is just like Treaty of Versaille. Weakening Spain/Germany enough to annoy them but leaving them enough strength to come back for revenge.

Yes, we seem bent on repeating the entirety of the Great War: Ridiculous start because of a stupid thing and prestige concerns; years of headlong attacks against short, fortified fronts leading to casualty figures in the millions; financial near-collapse even of the victorious powers; and a peace process pulled five different ways and ending up with no settlement of the real issues.

The eventual limited peace was a complete surprise to me, and I still opine that we should have taken our chances with Malayan intervention and crushed you utterly.

I didn't have the impression that my possible intervention played any role in your side's considerations. Especially not once it became clear that it was impossible for me to join due to neutrality.

Yes, but if Synario swaps to Inca, there's not going to be a lot of players wanting to play ~90 Neutrality Pakistan.

Dramatis Personae

These people will play an important role in the destinies of Best Bavria in the 30s and 40s.

Rupert the First and Last von Hentzau, the Revolutionarch, Dark Lord of the Marx, Unique Consul of the People's republic, Supreme Warlord of Best Bavaria.
The founder of what was to become Best Bavaria, and now once again his ruler. Technically 900 year old, biologically in his seventies. In the Middle Ages, he died of old age and pneumonia before technically becoming a king. Resurrected by Werner Schondorf and under the best medical care available, he can hope for a few decades more of near-absolute rule. What he will do with that remains to be seen, but it will probably not be to everyone's tastes. Rupert was ruthless, cruel and self-absorbed even for a medieval warlord; he will probably find more use for modern weaponry than for constitutionalism and the rights of man.

FAIRBANKS_J62225.jpg

Werner Schondorf
A one hundred year old man on a seventy-year mission. Possessed with a superhuman, troubled intellect, he was inspired by a near-death experience and a lifelong obsession with Hentzaus to bring back the first of that hated breed. And to develop a whole new branch of physics to that aim. And to become the richest man in the world, organize a nation-wide conspiracy to guide the course of history, put the communists in charge and liquidate their leaders so Rupert von Hentzau could rule. Like many smart people, Werner thinks himself smarter than he is and tends to underestimate others, but he does get results.
His main weakness is solid food.

10440-24593.jpg

General Gustav Blomberg, "the Wolf", "the Butcher", "the Grey Beast", "the Devil of Death"
The last man of the triumvirat, Gustav Blomberg has done much of the groundwork to bring about the New Bavarian Order. Brutish, amoral and canny, he took an active and infamous part in the bloody repression of Bavarian Communists that radicalized the part, then joined the Revolution by betraying and killing the last Bavarian king, Friedrich X. He sees the other two dinosaurs as useful stepstones in his way to supreme power, they see him as as a useful if dangerous tool who has the advantage of understanding what century he lives in. Everyone else sees him with a mix of terror and repulsion.

12840-6196.gif

Wilhelm Koch
Werner Schondorf's right-hand man and almost his friend, Koch is a skilled engineer in his own right with no mind for politics. easily confused and overwrought, he contents himself with serving his master to the best of his abilities.

16105-20425.jpg

Major General Hilda Kellerman
A heroin of the Revolution (through no small amount of luck), Hilda Kellerman spent the last twenty years fighting the enemies of the revolutions and her own feelings of inadequacy. Though she does not tthink of herself as much of a general, an officer, or indeed a soldier, she is used to stepping up reluctantly when no one else will, and in so doing rose through the ranks of the Volkheer. She also caught more glimpses at Schondorf's conspiracy than possibly anyone else uninvolved, and came disturbingly close to connecting the dots. The rise of Rupert is one such, and maybe final, dot.

MV5BMjE1NjQyMzY0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjQwNjI3._V1_SY314_CR135,0,214,314_AL_.jpg

Rares please

Two Revolutions, part I: The Last Ditch

February 19th, 1935
A street in the wealthy district of Copenhagen
Afternoon

The mob was singing, raising their spirits for another charge. The sound was a bit ragged, but even at a hundred meters the massed male voices pushed their message clearly enough across the barricades. The song was the homegrown anthem of the Norwegian communists: Say what you will, and think what you can, and call him a thief and a highway man; this praise he shall have, for it's rightly his due: He steals from the rich and he gives to the poor. Olav had to smile a little; Internasjonalen would surely have been better as a rallying cry - it even had "victory we know is ours" right there in the chorus. But no, even these communists who wanted to break down the barriers of borders and races - when the chips were down, they chose to honour one of their own. And to state their goals plainly, he reminded himself, and returned his attention to the ditch that defended his possessions.

In his increasingly-distant youth, Olav had been an officer in the Indian War, and had seen his share of trenches; and the one currently standing between him and the mob of Copenhagen was not impressive. It had been hastily scratched out of the street using shovels meant for gardening, not war; he had to stoop to get his head below the level of the cobblestones. Pipes for sewer and gas split it into two parts, a deadly explosion hazard if the enemy had any mortars - but then, if either side had had any heavy weapons, the street fighting would not have lasted a week. In any case, it didn't take much of a trench to form an effective protection against rifle fire; almost anything could be held, if the men defending it were brave. On that score, at least, Olav was comforted. His guards were, by ancient treaty and compact, recruited from the ancestral MacRaghnall lands in Scotland, thus placing them outside Norwegian politics while still giving them a tie of blood and loyalty to the dynasty. The same treaty that gave him the right to recruit in lands ruled by the Britism Empire forbade him to use the men in foreign wars - and so the MacRaghnall Guards were the last formation of regular soldiers in Scandinavia. The demands of the War had stripped every peacetime garrison, conscription and railroads had moved three million young men to fight in the Sahel - and the Communists had seen their chance.

"We'll not hold if they come again, sir." The captain of his Guards had been hit a few days earlier, and bits of his brain were still stuck to Olav's uniform, which he hadn't had a chance to change. The speaker was named Tam, and had been third in command before the rising. Like his men, he was stocky and broad, built for compact strength rather than athleticism; his beard was the famous red-gold, the same as Olav's had been before he went grey - or would have been, had it not been liberally splattered with the mud of Copenhagen's streets.

Olav pressed his lips together, but did not openly disagree with the man in charge of his troops; if his Empire had shrunk down to this bit of street, still there was a right and a wrong way to run it, and undermining your subordinates was never a good idea. "If they come," he said instead. "They're not showing much eagerness to run into the rifles again - songs or no songs."

"They'll come," Tam said. "They don't lack for brave men, at any rate. And they must know we're running short on bullets."

The Communists were indeed brave, that was beyond dispute; many of them were veterans of the bloody Nile Campaign - Olav had seen peg legs and hook hands in the last charge, along with grey hairs and not a few women. There were not many unwounded men of fighting age left in Norway, this February of 1935. He addressed the second half of Tam's argument: "Must they? It's hard to see the other side of the hill; and they're not ten feet tall any more than we are."

"True." Tam paused, thinking. "Still, no, they'll come. They won't give up now, when they've almost won. Have you noticed how quiet it's been lately? No rifle fire. I think we may be the last loyalists still fighting."

"And the Armee d'Elbe still three days away." It had galled Olav, to have to support his rule on foreign bayonets - but the French had had the closest available troops, and needs must when Communism drove. Now it seemed that the foreign bayonets wouldn't even be in time. And what else can you expect from the French? he thought but did not say.

"Yes, sir." Tam didn't say the obvious, that three days might as well have been three years; they might hold until nightfall, if they'd cowed the mob sufficiently - but if indeed they were the last holdouts, there was no question of making it through the night. The rebels would send men to infiltrate the houses and gardens around them, and work their way around and in close; then it would all be over except for the bayonetings.

"Very well." Olav straightened his shoulders and back, then remembered to keep his head below the level of the trench. If there was no rescue coming, then nothing was left except dignity - style, if you liked. He was an old man, and would not have many years left in any case; his sons were leading corps and armies in the Sahel, his wife had died the years before. His decisions would affect only himself, and these last few loyal men that had fought for him literally to the last ditch. He summoned twenty generations of warrior ancestors to his side.

"We'll attack, then," he said.

Tam blinked, then looked at the rebels' barricade. It was a flimsy thing, improvised from furniture and a few trees; laughable on a serious battlefield against modern weaponry - but formidable enough, if stoutly defended, against men armed only with rifles and running out of bullets.

"You plan to break out?" Tam asked, looking back from the barricade to his men - the forty men, many of them wounded, that were left of the whole company that the MacRaghnall Guards assigned to the security of the King. "Get past them, out into the streets, maybe make it to the harbour and take a ship for Sweden?"

"Or England," Olav half agreed. He hadn't, in fact, had any such plan in mind; what he wanted was to avoid being captured by the rebels. There was no better guarantee of a dynasty's end than to have a king executed, even if his heir might later return at the head of an army; once the sanctity of kings was broken it was all over bar the election of a Hereditary President-for-Life. To die in battle was something else entirely; that way, he might even give a new impetus to the MacRaghnall mystique. Blood sacrifices had power, even in these times of aircraft and tanks; there weren't many people who were really so modern as they thought they were. It was a pity to take the Guards down with him, but after all they had eaten his salt and taken oath to fight for him to the last - and anyway, who knew? Maybe Tam's idea of the breakout would actually work.

"Bread and salt," Tam sighed, perhaps reminding himself of that oath. "Aye, well, it may work. Better than trying to defend this last ditch, anyway. That rarely ends well."

"Bayonets, then?" Olav suggested, and Tam nodded decisively. "Bayonets it is," he agreed, going down the line to give the order himself; his leather-lunged sergeant-major had bled out the day before, and anyway, why give the rebels fair warning? Olav busied himself with his pistol; a symbolic weapon, he'd always thought, there to remind people that in the final analysis MacRaghnall rule rested on force. He'd never fired a weapon in anger, he realised; even as a young Kaptein in India, he'd given orders to the artillerymen who served the huge guns, but never personally killed anyone. A first time for everything, he thought, mordantly amused; so there could be new experiences even for men past their three-score and ten.

By the time he'd checked that the bullets rested correctly in the chamber and flicked a piece of mud out of the action, the Guards were ready; Tam nodded. "Give the word, sire, and we'll follow."

"Yes." Olav took a deep breath, then vaulted out of the trench, fear and exaltation giving his old limbs a burst of near-youthful strength. "MacRaghnall!" he shouted; and behind him, his Guards followed the last king of that dynasty into the attack.

I - More exposition down your throats but I promise the next one will be about stuff blowing up

WERNER SCHONDORF
We must keep the balls in the air as much as possible

RUPERT VON HENTZAU
Is this why we are wearing robes?

WENER SCHONDORF
No. For centuries Bavaria and France
Have followed the path of the Spanish Moor.
Hence our pork kebabs,
And our darkened skin,
And our ceremonial djellabas.
But now, at long last, we have conquered our freedom!

RUPERT VON HENTZAU
And Best Bavaria must find a path of its own.

--Hentzau Reborn ! the laser neopera (Act II)

There was so little time, and so much to learn: a new language, almost a thousand years of history, bases of physics and biology, the concept of multiworld, the geography of four continents, modern political doctrines, the details of a conspiracy so vast only three men understoof it in its entirety. One night was barely enough.
They had prepared detailed explanations, but the new Supreme Leader was desperately far from even their most pessimist starting points. Even time, Volk and world meant completely different things to a medieval and a modern mind. For the first time it dawned on the conspirators that breaking the boundaries of space and time was not even the hardest part of their plan.

To make things worse Werner grew quickly annoyed with people not understanding his explanations immediatelu, Rupert grew quickly annoyed with things he did not understand at once, and even what he did understand he often had to argue with. Democracy and physics were shit. Even united, Europe could not have beaten the Greek Emperor. China and India, inasmuch as they existed at all, were too far away to have any effect on Bavarin affairs. And then there was the things he thought he had understood, but actually had not, and it only transpired hours later.

The clock ticked and they made very little progress. It was clear they would not have a presentable tyrant to harangue the mob come morning.
"We are at war, Wilhelm said. Maybe he could have gone to inspect a portion of the front."
Blomberg understood immediately.
"Undisclosed for safety reasons. And I can give the first announcement in his name. It can work."
Nobody objected. Everyone was tired, espcially Werner. At one hundred all-nighters and gunfights can be tiring.

"One last thing, Rupert said. I still do not understand why you chose me. Why you pulled me from your past."
"To save the world - this world, Werner answered. When I almost died and saw all the other worlds, I saw that, one after the other, they ended. And I saw how they ended : with a situation unchanging, final. When nothing could change and history stopped. Then the simulation had no reason to go on, and it ended."
"They want a result, Wilhelm tried to explain. With a certain set of parameters. And when they have that result... It is done."
"But who are they?" Rupert said.
"Unknowable."
"Gods?"
"Of a sort," Werner mused. "A very different sort of what we call such."
"And the gods want us to avoid a definitive situation?"
"No. They want that final situation. Maybe because their world is to an extent like ours, and they want to find out their best course of action. Maybe for some other reason. But our interest is to frustrate them. To keep all balls in the air. Chaos. Uncertainty. History."

Werner stared at the man he had spent his life working to resuscitate.
"And who better at that than a Hentzau?"

Gameplay stuff and stuff like that :

Much of that fist session was spent in dire rares penury, reorganizing my OOB, and building officers because I'm dangerous low.

Give me more rares please.

Last edited: