• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unity, huh? :confused:
I was hoping they'd migrate to something with a little more oomph, but oh well.

Another engine? It's a matter of affording it, y'know. And then being able to afford the people who can work within that engine.

Another engine? It's a matter of affording it, y'know. And then being able to afford the people who can work within that engine.
Agreed. Unity has become a core competency for HBS, and for a variety of reason that is an important strength of what HBS brings to any project. I know Unity (and more precisely the Unity upgrade that impacted BATTLETECH’s development timeline) have been a hot topic for me and some others in our community. So much so that with this latest touch upon this topic, I looked up some information on the game engine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(game_engine)

FF83240D-C18A-4C11-B7D6-5BF7E1D99252.png

I know Paradox has its Clausewitz game engine (awesome and inspiring name, btw! : ) ) and I was one of those who thought HBS might benefit by making use of it for future games once HBS joined the Paradox family of game development studios. But unless knowledge of Unity is the best jumping off prerequisite for work with Clausewitz, judging by current position descriptions, HBS is moving forward with Unity as its game engine...

While all this is a good topic to discuss, I’m just waiting in the wings to preorder whatever HBS brings to market next. I look forward what the future holds. : )

While all this is a good topic to discuss, I’m just waiting in the wings to preorder whatever HBS brings to market next. I look forward what the future holds. : )

And I've got other matters to attend to, like taking the polishing wheel to the rusty writing skills so I can make good on the idea of finishing the whole
'White Reach' experiment with the tabletop before the Clans arrive.

Unity, huh? :confused:
I was hoping they'd migrate to something with a little more oomph, but oh well.
That would mean retraining or replacing most of the devs - some of which no doubt would leave specifically because they don't want to retrain on another game engine.

It's a bit like asking a Java programmer that you're switching to C# - sure, they could retrain/relearn/learn C#, but it's a big undertaking and they won't have much benefit from already knowing Java (apart from programming language-agnostic developer knowledge). Some might jump on the chance but some would rather quit and find work as a Java developer elsewhere.

Where I work, we've re-implemented the same application in three different frameworks/models/code bases over the last 20 years, and each time we've switched it has been a massive upheaval for the company - not to mention a several years long process.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I understand the point everyone's making, and I agree. However, typically either when a game dev is "bought by a bigger company" or reaches a success with their projects their capital skyrockets, an upgrade overall happens. More staff, better and bigger workplaces, more contracts, and so on. I don't have anything against Unity or HBS's use of it, but the limits are there and this fan here :) dreams of another Shadowrun title with more ambitions and goals.
Having said that, it's only a matter of time until I reinstall the three Shadowruns and replay them again. :heart-emoji:
And I still have Battletech installed and occasionally spend a few more hours in it. :heart-emoji: :heart-emoji:

Above all else, what I most hope for is that things keep running well for HBS so they can keep launching games! :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
I understand the point everyone's making, and I agree. However, typically either when a game dev is "bought by a bigger company" or reaches a success with their projects their capital skyrockets, an upgrade overall happens. More staff, better and bigger workplaces, more contracts, and so on. I don't have anything against Unity or HBS's use of it, but the limits are there and this fan here :) dreams of another Shadowrun title with more ambitions and goals.
Having said that, it's only a matter of time until I reinstall the three Shadowruns and replay them again. :heart-emoji:
And I still have Battletech installed and occasionally spend a few more hours in it. :heart-emoji: :heart-emoji:

Above all else, what I most hope for is that things keep running well for HBS so they can keep launching games! :D
During the development of BATTLETECH, I understand that an untimely Unity update challenged Team HBS, ultimately delaying (though materially providing for refinement) of the game. That experience was frustrating but in the normal course of game development, not unheard of.

In the past few days I’ve revisited this topic to see how well the latest version of Unity competes against its 2021 completion...

Unity is a top-tier game engine with outstanding tools, scope and power. This, combined with the highly regarded and ever deepening bench of talent Team HBS has invested in throughout the years makes for an exciting level of potential.

I know Epic has turned out fantastic games with its Unreal engine.

I know Paradox has turned out fabulous games with its Clausewitz engine.

But to me, Team HBS and BATTLETECH surpasses them all. If any other engine than Unity had been used, Team HBS would have spent so much time learning the new engine that BATTLETECH would not be even half the game it is, given the time/talent/resources involved. Unity was the right... and really, the only choice possible. With every Big and Stompy mission of my current BATTLETECH Extended 3039 - Commander’s Edition campaign, I am thankful for the Lords of Unity and Team HBS that made all this mechtastic goodness possible! : )

Reactions:
So no Battletech 2, Mechcommander 3 or "Hearts of Iron" in a Battletech-setting? :-(
BattleTech is an established franchise. I believe it may take a year or three but eventually one studio or another will take up the Big and Stompy challenge to craft story lines in the BattleTech universe. Until then we have some absolutely stellar BATTLETECH Mods to explore and enjoy. : )

• 4Like
Reactions:
Actually I wouldn't want a new story. I was a bit disappointed with the introduction of a new faction. The BT-universe is so huge and interesting in itself. It should be easy to put a company/battalion/regiment in this sandbox without "inventing" new stuff. Just let it get tangled up in 4th Succession War, Clan Invasion, FedCom-Civil War.
After you put it in the "Universe"-sandbox you put it in a "Planetary"-Sandbox with its own history/timeline. A sandbox in a sandbox. And then it gets to the strategic/tactical-level where you put your unit into the field.

Actually I wouldn't want a new story.

Just in contrast... I'm tired of replaying the OLD stories in games. We've had so much attention paid to certain periods of BattleTech history it feels like that's all there is. Fourth Succession War, Clan Invasion and Tukayyid, FedCom Civil War... sure there's tons of options which can be tugged out to try to shine a light on, but it doesn't feel as interesting.

(Or, alternatively, let Paradox get the BT license again and quietly pass off the keys to the Stellaris team for a crossover... also known as the game Prussian Havoc will never stop playing.)

• 2Like
Reactions:
I wouldn't mind an Amaris Civil War storied BT/Mechwarrior/Mechcommander game one day. Might be pretty cool.

I'm not much for the whole Jihad/ Dark Ages era, but maybe it could work for me if done in an interesting way. I have to admit, I sort of 'cashed-out' after the Fedcom Civil War.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I would love to see more time periods explored. It seems like we are always replaying the 4th Succession War and the Clan Invasion. I get that they are popular, but there is a lot more that could be done.

How about the 2nd Succession War or early 3rd? After they stopped nuking everything, but just as the really good components are starting to get harder to replace. It's hard to make a game where the player gets weaker over time, but it would certainly be an interesting dynamic.
I don't know a lot about the Jihad and Dark Ages, but I would like to see a new wave of mechs and a broader selection of useful equipment.
Another option would be to play the Clans BEFORE the invasion. I am sure there are some good stories to tell around their formation. Maybe something with fall of Clan Wolverine.

While I have enjoyed the sandboxy nature of Battletech and MW5, I would really like to see more campaign focused games. Drop the procedurally generated missions and focus on well made scripted missions.

• 2Like
Reactions:
While I have enjoyed the sandboxy nature of Battletech and MW5, I would really like to see more campaign focused games. Drop the procedurally generated missions and focus on well made scripted missions.

On the one hand... that does sort of limit replayability, doesn't it? On the OTHER hand...

... Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

• 2Like
Reactions:
On the one hand... that does sort of limit replayability, doesn't it? On the OTHER hand...

... Shadowrun: Dragonfall.
Kind of... but then MechCommander. I could reinstall that and play through the campaign again and still have a blast doing it. Scripted missions mean a stronger campaign. Even if it is only 20 to 30 hours worth, I'd still go for that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
OK. So we definitely need two games. One story-driven, campaign-game like Mechcommander and one sandbox-game that uses the timeframe from 2nd Succession War until the IlClan-Era. And actually I wouldn't mind to be a small company in the OLD eras. Just being a small part in a huge universe doesn't mean you can't shape your own history.
Btw, I really enjoyed the new novels in the IlClan-era.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just being a small part in a huge universe doesn't mean you can't shape your own history.

Well... yes and no. (Free time from the grabby little nieces limiting the matter...)

...Another option would be to play the Clans BEFORE the invasion. I am sure there are some good stories to tell around their formation. Maybe something with fall of Clan Wolverine...

A Clan Wolverine story would be pretty cool IMO.

• 2Like
Reactions:
OK. So we definitely need two games. One story-driven, campaign-game like Mechcommander and one sandbox-game that uses the timeframe from 2nd Succession War until the IlClan-Era.
*nods sagely* Clearly this is the only acceptable solution.

Reactions:
*nods sagely* Clearly this is the only acceptable solution.

I mean, the only acceptable solution is to Trial of Possession for the licensing rights to belong to one sole holder instead of being scattered to the winds, making it far easier to make new things for the IP as a whole. From video games to film features.

• 2Like
Reactions: