• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fenryder

Captain
6 Badges
Jul 17, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
It was my experience with the Sword of the Stars and Warlock titles that Paradox treats its published products by 3rd party developers with a lot less care than its in house products. I am a AoW fan but I'm not sure having been burned twice by paradox 3rd party publishing I would be willing to risk being burned the 3rd time.

Why will this product be different. What have you changed to prevent mistakes that happened in the past?

Last edited:
Don't see why having your game published by PDX would inherently make a game bad. The devs either do a good job or they don't. Magicka, Pillars of Eternity and Cities Skylines are all outside devs and they did really well. Sometimes things don't work out but it's your choice whether to only focus on the bad or not.

I'm afraid this discussion is based on a false premise.

Triumph Studios was acquired by PDX about a year ago.
So except for not sharing an office/not being in the same country, we're like PDS.

The experience and the people have been great. Such a warm welcome.
And now that we've combined forces we can do so much more : )>

Also, from what i understand, the failure of these other games are what caused pdx to buy triumph. They needed the expertise about turn based strategy that triumph has.

If you cant beat them, buy them.

Also, from what i understand, the failure of these other games are what caused pdx to buy triumph. They needed the expertise about turn based strategy that triumph has.

If you cant beat them, buy them.

Magica, Pillars of Etenity and Cities Skylines failed? Interesting claim...

Magica, Pillars of Etenity and Cities Skylines failed? Interesting claim...

At one point paradox had a philosophy of "publish a ton of different games and maybe we'll get lucky and get some gems", which worked to a point. They had some really hard hitters. But they had even more games that failed spectacularly, which caused a lot of bad press.

Their current philosophy is more towards publishing quality games.

I was talking about their endavours in the turn based strategy, the niche AoW filled. Read along with the rest of my post, that should seem rather obvious, no?

I think Gloweye is referring specifically to Warlock.

The VP of marketing, Shams something or other, mentioned it specifically, saying AoW3 effectively destroyed Warlock. (imho though very different games, not sure they were really in competition...)

So Paradox decided to buy Triumph .

That's the story as I understand it.

Warllock was released in 2012. It can't have been that bad a reception because Warlock 2 came out at the same time as AoW 3 4 years ago. Half a year later Endless Legend was released, and I think Warlock 2, from then on, was between a rock and a hard place, because Aow did combat better while EL did Empire Management better.

My guess is, going true Paradox style with a prolonged evolutionary DLC output for Warlock I things would have been a lot better for Warlock.

I specifically remember the PDX CEO saying in an interview that they were looking at AoW3 reception/sales in comparison to Warlock and it being at least a part of the decision to acquire Triumph.

I didn't mean to say that PDX didn't acquire Triumph because AoW3 sold well compared to Warlock. What I wanted to say is that AoW didn't "destroy" Warlock, since for one thing Warlock came out in 2012 and for another EL sold even better than AoW3:

https://explorminate.net/2018/04/30/quarter-1-2018-statistical-analysis/

Triumph obviously knows turn-based and brilliant tactical combat heavy 4x. Acquiring them was certainly a good move.

It would be worth mentioning that Warlock 2 is a buggy mess and the AI can't even handle its expansion feature. That's not exactly the best setup for a success story. That's a bit like sots serie that got killed with its second iteration largely because of its state at release.

The key people appear to be the same still, so why wouldn't the game be as wonderful as the other AoW titles? AoW3 had a really solid AI, far better than what most TBS games feature, and I'm excited to see what these guy can pull off with the access to the additional resources that they have now.

I was only reacting to the talk on Warlock as I disagreed with the premise, I took into consideration sikbok's point.

It was my experience with the Sword of the Stars and Warlock titles that Paradox treats its published products by 3rd party developers with a lot less care than its in house products. I am a AoW fan but I'm not sure having been burned twice by paradox 3rd party publishing I would be willing to risk being burned the 3rd time.

Why will this product be different. What have you changed to prevent mistakes that happened in the past?

First of all not really a third party one this time around. Paradox went and bought triumph.
Secondly they have made quite solid games in an era paradox games used to be famous for CTD:s every 5 minutes.
That said these are not paradox games, so expect almost no events or similar. Except in the way of you killed a dragon with goblin minions (losing 5 units of your own) and looted a dungeon and got a sword of lighting and life stealing as well as coins and a general desription to a special hoard hidden elsewhere.
Aside from that level ups of a character or your race as well as you built another mastersmith in city so and so, what is next for the building que?

No real characters either. You may have a Tigran named Akhnaton with skills and levels, but no character. perhaps a background of sorts that is pure fluff and has no impact on anything. Interactions include declaring war on another "king" and later making peace with always status post bellum as terms. You keep what you take. No worrying about cores or infamy. And the only resources around are gold coins and mana. Oh and artifacts if you count those. Cities can be sometimes traded... but kind of exploitable as the sitting peacefully back and booming your economy while buying cities off our frenemies is a sure way to win overwhelmingly but kinda boring.