• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

stnylan

Compulsive CommentatAAR
128 Badges
Aug 1, 2002
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
Here are the Annals of the Pax Humanitas, from when we dared to leave the safety of Refuge and New Hope. For along time we did not heed our calling, for we greatly feared losing ourselves as humans once had to the siren call of conquest. And yet, our call persisted. Life must be valued, protected, shepherded, shaped. There must be other life out there, mostly not intelligent, but across the vastness of space we must not be the only species in which sapience has taken root. And if that sapience is like ours once once, we have a Sacred Duty to see that it remains.
- Commanded by Coordinator Ksenia Kazakov
2200 years since Awakening

ORW1mpn.jpg

I am probably mad to start an AAR. I can promise nothing but to give this my best shot.

This is played under 1.4.1, Leviathans, Horizon, and Plantoids DLC.
According to Steam I have 60-something hours in Stellaris so far. I had one game that progressed pretty far - but still not far enough to trigger a crisis. This game is therefore pretty much still a learning exercise. Expect sub-optimal play, if only because my Paradox games have a tendency to roleplay. Comments are always welcome, criticisms also.

Otherwise I hope this is an enjoyable ride.

Reactions:
Annal 2200: At the Beginning

For millenia we have sheltered in Refuge, in the shadow of Olympus. Hidden away, we have strived to be the best that we can be. Yet however vital a society we have crafted in our Refuge, and however wondrous our Refuge is, it is still a gravity well. If we were content to be a people with limited energy we would naturally never be able to escape, but we are not content to be so limited. We have come so far, are we now to fall back down into the comfort of Refuge, forever clinging to its comforts? We have chosen ... no. We have chosen to believe we can be better yet, and that means leaving the safety of Refuge behind.
Ksenia Kazakov
Speech 1st January, 2200 After Awakening
bsjs7iP.jpg

tt1f9rm.jpg

aKo0pKK.jpg

System names provisional
In Preparation for the Great Departure our faithful Co-Ordinator scoured all of Refuge for the greatest and most agile of minds, and set them to work together in four harmonius teams, with names determined by our time on distant Earth. To salvage something from our specie's shame, to try to atone for what we have done. Team Zheng He were instructed to make use of the purpose-built scientific craft, PHS Vigilance, and commanded initially to do a full survey of the New Hope system. Teams Sorbonne, Pliny, and Hooke were instructed to begin working on three areas of research that the Co-Ordinator believed would be necessary at the start of the Great Endeavour: practical work-suits to improve productivity, more effective sensors that would be better at surveying the worlds we need to explore, and finally the best way to construct a modern colony ship. We could, of course, have copied plans from the ships that got us to Refuge, but we are better than we were.

Meanwhile the Co-Ordinator has affirmed Martina Fernadez as Administrator of Refuge. The Co-Ordinator has determined to base herself in the space station so recently constructed - someone must be planetside.

gmQABmp.jpg

r3nQ5YN.jpg

Thus the stage is set for the start of our Great Endeavour.

Subscribed!

Spiritualist pacifists? This is going to be an interesting one...

Wonder if you will meet Earth as well?

Subscribed!
Thank you!

Spiritualist pacifists? This is going to be an interesting one...

Wonder if you will meet Earth as well?
Well, I hope it will prove interesting. Just seemed the best fit for the starting story I came up with.

As to actual gameplay, whilst it is not entirely true to say that I have no idea I am doing, it is mostly true. We shall see!

Annual 2200: The First Year

When our forebears first came to New Hope, fleeing all that we had been as a species, we did not seek to explore this system beyond what we required to be sure that our Refuge was true and safe as it seemed. It was, and so we left New Hope to be a mystery. Now their wisdom has borne fruit, for what would have become of us in that distant time if, in our then fragile state, we made the discovery we have now made. Would we have remained committed to our path of self-discovery? I fear not. Now we can take this knowledge, and see it for what it really is: confirmation that our Great Endeavour is both the right course of action, and that it is needed.
- Coordinator Ksenia Kasakov
16th June 2201 After Awakening
kj8rBG1.jpg

vBGzVU3.jpg

We did not take to stars blindly. We knew there might be those who would fear the truth that we brought, so with heavy hearts we had equipped a small flotilla of three ships. Their overall design had been christened "Redoubtable", but the lead vessel never saw active service. The flotilla consisted of the Alacrity, Prodigal and Infinity. Before they were given their orders the Co-Ordinator appointed Captain Hu Mao as Commodore, this worthy man had conducted the trials of the Redoubtable and knew how best to manage the operations of the new ships. The Flotilla was commanded to visit as many systems as they could reach from our sphere of our wormhole envelope.

Meanwhile, the scienists of Team Zheng He aboard the Vigilance began that first systematic survery of the New Hope system. The first true discovery was almost immediate, that there were source sof material in the rings and small moons of Olympus that we could use and exploit. All across Refuge this was regarded as a portent that the Great Endeavour was the correct course of action. The Co-Ordinator immediately ordered the remaining vessel in our fleet, the Gallant, to construct the necessary station to oversee the harvesting of this bounty. This work was completed a few months later, and the station began its work at the beginning of May.

At the same time on the small rocky planet of Inferno the Vigilance had discovered a truly massive impact crater, so massive it perhaps partially explained that fiery planet's appearance. Clearly further investiation would be required, however the planet itself was too dangerous for Team Zheng He to attempt it at this time. It would have to wait.

2Ov3mQD.jpg

The truly surprising discovery however was yet to come. A few days later, during a routine scan of a asteroid Team Zheng He found an artificially created structure. Within, preserved, were numerous small artifacts, and enough of a script for some very basic translation to be attempted. It seems some millions of years ago there was once another civilisation in this region. If our translation software is at all accurate they called themselves the Yuht. This news was a sensation, and the Co-Ordinator did not consider it moral to conceal these discoveries from our own people. So on the 16th June she made a presentation to the entire citizenry, exciting those who wished to be excited, and calming those who were prey to quite understandable fears, whilst reminding all of the sacred duty of the Great Endeavour.

QeYBYRH.jpg

Meanwhile the Flotilla had been busy exploring some of the systems closest to us. Two in particular, given the intial designations of Mecura and Brallix, were close enough to New Hope that they might be exploited. Mecura, enticingly, even had what appeared to be an earth-like planet, just like Refuge. Just outside of this exploitable sphere was the system with the temporary designation of Baldoon, and that too proved to have a habitable world. Commodore Hu Mao was swiftly proving most effective at making these initial system scans, so much so he institued protocols that were able to make his vessels even more efficient. Alas these proved too difficult to adopt into standard doctrine, but he enhanced all those who had the good fortune to serve under his command.

syQGNPg.jpg

69sult3.jpg

79snvza.jpg

All of this had made it clear to the Co-Ordinator that we needed another science vessel, so she ordered the construction of a new Science ship. This was christened Pathfinder. A new team of scientists also needed to be recruited. There were three main groupings available in the universities of Refuge, but it was Team Cochrane that were selected. Unlike the other two teams, whose members averaged to be in their early forties, Team Cochrane was a relatively new organisation and were mostly still in their twenties. They also showed in their thereotical work particular aptitude in space travel and space craft. It became quite clear that they would be a better fit in our sensor research than Team Pliny. Thus projects were re-organised. Team Sorbonne was assigned to the Pathfinder, Team Pliny were re-assigned to Exoskeleton project, and Team Cochrane began work on sensors, regarding this as a necessary first step to better spacecraft. After all, as one publication put it "before you can go faster, you need to know where you are going".

hlhWQLh.jpg

9s4iGLV.jpg

New mineral resources were detected in New Hope in the primary asteroid belt, and the Gallant was once against dispatched to ensure proper harvesting. Meanwhile the Pathfinder was dispatched to the Mecura system, and there an initial survey of once of the gas giants discovered something that they could not explain. However, Team Sorbonne, like Team Zheng He earlier, determined the risks of investigating further were currently too great, so they left the mystery behind to be examined at a more propitious moment.

hzLP1dY.jpg

As the year came to a close the Vigilant concluded its survey of New Hope, and was dispatched to the Brallix system. The Flotilla had not quite yet explored the wormhole envelope, but work was continuing apace. In all the first Year of the Great Endeavour had been most successful. New trials and challenges no doubt awaited, but for now we could celebrate as we took our place amidst the stars.

Two science ships in the beginning. That really seems to put a strain on your resources, though Refuge seems to be doing ok mineral-wise.
Hmm, and why warp-drives?

The choice to focus on science rather than military might seems adequate. Although who knows what may appear while the galaxy is uncovered? Maybe discoveries will give us more details about the past of the Humans and what was left behind.

Very interesting!! I'll be foollowing :)
Good to have you along.

Two science ships in the beginning. That really seems to put a strain on your resources, though Refuge seems to be doing ok mineral-wise.
Hmm, and why warp-drives?
Minerals I seemed quite blessed with. It is science resources that seem rather thin on the ground. As for the two science ships, I must say I usually get two. If only because if I lose one then it means that another is already there. Also having 5 scientists can allow some flexibility with research, or so it seems.

Must confess not quite sure what you mean about warp drives? As I use wormholes and haven't researched anything warpy?

The choice to focus on science rather than military might seems adequate. Although who knows what may appear while the galaxy is uncovered? Maybe discoveries will give us more details about the past of the Humans and what was left behind.
I do intend to try and flesh out the backstory a bit, but I am keeping it somewhat flexible to see if I can't weave a few threads from the game into it :D

Annual 2201: Not Alone

The new being encountered in TD Borce is clearly beyond our current understanding. Some more susceptible members of the scientific team were inclined to regard this as proof of the divine. It required some convincing to remind them that, grand though these might be, all Life is Sacred. We must tread warily. TD Borce is now restricted until further study can be attempted. The Coordinator will seek to disseminate news about this discovery in the best manner to allay hysteria if all kinds.
Summary of Report of TD Borce Incident
12th February 2201 AA
gaBCrIo.jpg

Local Space 2201
At first it was just a report from a long-range scan whilst the Flotilla made a cursory exploration of a neighbouring system. In TD Borce there were strange readings that did not conform to any theory. As it happened TD Borce was the next destination for The Flotilla. Commodore Hu Mao prepared his vessels for any known eventuality, up to and including hostile action. Beyond the wormwhole their sensors detected a strange being, a mass of energy focused on a fuzzy un-determined structure. It was on the far side of the sun, far enough away that it was not even certain whether or not it had perceived their arrival. All that the Commodore could be sure of was that it was not something he understood. After completed the required scans he ordered the Flotilla to depart this this strange news.

AjArlvM.jpg

The appearance of these beings made all consider the wonders of the cosmos, and made us all rededicate ourselves to our goals. Who new yet whether these things were friendly or hostile - either way it made plain that we had to be prepared for all eventualities. A Project was formulated, however it would reuqire Team Cochrane suspending their current work. As the being seemed to remain close to the star of TD Borce this was regarded as a low priority, and Team Cochrane was to continue with their current research until that was complete.

Oh4H7Dx.jpg

As a practical response to this discovery the Co-Ordinator ordered the construction of a new ship, and soon the Versatile became a new addition to the Flotilla. The scientists of Team Zheng He continued to improve, and had instituted several new protocols in their scanning of the TS Brallix system. That system seemed ripe to be exploited, as it was close to New Hope and with some industrial potential. Towards the end of the year Team Sorbonne became able to match their new efficiencies.

Yw5kZt7.jpg
y0y7aEh.jpg

hwucVCO.png

Two further steps were taken to expand our industrial potential. Firstly the Gallant completed the mining station in above the rich asteroid cluster in New Hope that had been discovered. Secondly Governor Martinez was authorised to start taking advantage more fully of the bounty of Refuge itself. This would mean expending some time and effort in clearing up reservations of those who had forsaken the Path of the Sacredness of Life, and breaching the quarantines around the old sites of the three vast ships that had brought us to Refuge. These may once have been controversial decisions, but after the discovery in TD Borce no one doubted the necessity. As it happened the first area slated for greater activity was merely largely unsettled, but studies had previously shown a rich source of minerals buried in Refuge's crust. A series of mines were planned, and workers were being assigned to that region as fast as our accelerated education programmes could manage.

kaT2aHJ.png

Thus ended the year.

Well, I wouldn't want to miss out on this and then have to stumble with many a dozen of pages to catch up once I realized who this AAR is by!

Hopefully someone's righteous right hand will strengthen you and help you in this journey toward the heavens and beyond! ;)

Clearing up the reservations of those having forsaken the path? No longer sure if those believing in the Sacredness of Life are all that peaceful after all.

Must confess not quite sure what you mean about warp drives? As I use wormholes and haven't researched anything warpy?

Ahh, my bad. Always seem to confuse warp and wormhole icons :)
And the exploration is at least continuing in expected pace.

Anyway, good going! Hope breaking up the reservations doesn't prove to be... not really a pacifistic event

Well, I wouldn't want to miss out on this and then have to stumble with many a dozen of pages to catch up once I realized who this AAR is by!

Hopefully someone's righteous right hand will strengthen you and help you in this journey toward the heavens and beyond! ;)
You do me too much credit sir, but it is delight to have you along.

Clearing up the reservations of those having forsaken the path? No longer sure if those believing in the Sacredness of Life are all that peaceful after all.
Well, it seemed a better tale to tell then simple slum-clearance (which didn't really fit with my conception of Refuge anyway). As for being peaceful ... the Pax Humanitas is not something that will come to be by itself, after all. It must be ... secured.

Ahh, my bad. Always seem to confuse warp and wormhole icons :)
And the exploration is at least continuing in expected pace.

Anyway, good going! Hope breaking up the reservations doesn't prove to be... not really a pacifistic event
Yes. My first real time with wormholes so I am probably going to make all sorts of mistakes, but we shall see.

Subbed. Looks good.
Thank you. Glad to have you along.

Annual 2202: The Ruhr Visitation

New Hope was a place to hide. A place to learn how best to be human. To face all the horror of our history - and to face up to it. To look it in the eye and learn from it. To not say "Never Again" whilst a new genocide was taking place, but to look inside and say "I am guilty". This was not easy - it is not easy, and not all have the strength for it. Those that do not are blameless, for it is a difficult thing to realise what we are. So long as they take instruction from those of us who stand in the Shadow of Knowledge, and who accepted the burden, their lives and labours can be directed. Those of us who lead must also praise those who follow, for without them our Endeavour would cease to exist. But for those who do not follow, those who raise their hands against the Path, a more direct education may be required.
Governor Martinez, on the Reservations
18th August, 2202 AA
XPV5Lpo.png

Local Space 1st January 2202

To start the new year the preliminary studies of the being in TS Borce were completed. They were given a name - Void Clouds. This was descriptive, and purposefully so, as many more poetic names were ascribed to them. The scientists of Refuge however had no time for more detailed study as yet.

52jINkC.jpg

In April the Pathfinder completed its scanning of the TS Boldoon system. Of particular note was the third planet, which was perfect for a new settlement. With the slightly less hospitable planet in TS Mecura II we know had two potential targets for colonisation. Several studies were commissioned comparing the benefits and drawbacks of both candidates. It would take some time for them to report, but as we had not yet finished designing our first colony ship, let alone started to build it, there was time to give this matter proper consideration.

AuvIkBt.png

Co-Ordinator Kazakov had meanwhile been giving more thought to increasing our resources. We could not even begin thinking of succeeding in the Great Endeavour if we just restricted outselves to New Hope. Only two systems were close enough for us to use thus far: TS Brallix and TS Mecura. As the Co-Ordinator saw it there was only one choice - TS Brallix which had two enticing possibilities. However, it was not considered reasonable to continue to use a mere random computer designation for any system that we actually used. Thus a small group was assigned to come up with a new name, whilst the Gallant was dispatched. When the Gallant arrived in system the decision was made - and our hardworking constructors arrived at the newly rechristened Ruhr system.

DQmW0Fw.png

However, before the Gallant reached its first destination something new was detected on the edge of the system. Three seemingly impossible creatures, or were they ships? At that time we did not know, only that they were wonderful to behold. They did not seem to do very much, made no attempt to communicate. They seemed content to suspend themselves at a great distance from the star for a month or so, and then they were gone. All we could suppose was that these beings possessed some sort of faster than light travel, but as to what it might be, we did not know. Team Hooke began an initial study, further delaying their design of our first colony vessel.

EmpriWm.png

In July the Pathfinder started its survey of the TS Sadalbari system. Their sensors seemed to indicate a strange object orbiting close to the star, but it was so close and so fast that Team Sorbonne wisely declined to risk the ship to understand what was going on. Mysteries left to one side can always be picked up again. At the same time the Vigilance completed its scans of teh TS Adar system. Later that month the Gallant completed the first of two mining stations in the Ruhr system.

Z0RIeYn.png

kV5M87r.png

Back home on Refuge our new mines in Sector 9 were now operating at full capacity. A new group of workers and technicians were now being recruited and trained, and were provisionally assigned to Sector 11. Sector 11 was a place of mixed possibilities, and Governor Martinez had determined that the time had come to look to the reservations. There were three large-scale reservations in Refuge, in Sectors 10, 15 and 17. Each had, probably through accident, specialised. Sector 10 was more agricultural, no doubt a consequence of the temperate weather and good soils. Sector 15 was in a more rugged environment, yet fertile with much regular precipitation. The many highland lakes, rivers, and waterfalls made energy constant, and plentiful. Sector 17 was definitely the most hostile of the reservations, but it was not without its possibilites. In particular there were regions of bountiful metal ores, only lightly exploited by those who had turned away.

For those who read this in future times I should explain. The reservations were a mistake. The Co-Ordinator declared so after much consultation and discussion. We had turned from those who needed our help the most, and condemned them to isolation. It was a revelation that the Co-Ordinator had understood back in the days of her youth, as had many others, but established habits are hard to break. The Great Endeavour helped save us, but giving us the necessary impetus to look at what we had done. The final decision was made after the news of the new creatures that had visited Ruhr.

After much debate it was decided to begin with Sector 15. The people there maintained the highest level of technology and society. Its hydroelectric resources would also prove most useful to our growing state, and we could more effectively exploit them than the locals could. Resources were allocated to register the residents, and to re-educate as necessary. Most became followers, a few even showed the ability to join the ranks of the Awakened.

2A6IiPF.png

Shortly thereafter the Pathfinder completed its survey of TS Sadalbari, and later in the year the Gallant completed the second of the two mining stations in Ruhr. Our industrial base thus expanded considerably, in accordance with the Path of Preparation. The Registration process was completed in Sector 15, and the new cadre officially re-assigned to begin their work of prepared the Sector for more intensive use. The stage was set for us to enter into 2203 After Awakening.

t9idffn.png

New Hope was a place to hide. A place to learn how best to be human. To face all the horror of our history - and to face up to it. To look it in the eye and learn from it. To not say "Never Again" whilst a new genocide was taking place, but to look inside and say "I am guilty". This was not easy - it is not easy, and not all have the strength for it.

Ahh, nothing like the collective guilt! :)
And while Ruhr is nice touch, i hope you are not planning to rename every system/planet/resource inside. Or rather, i hope you don't run out of names :p

The narrative around the reservations unfolds and gives more insight on how the society on New Hope is actually working, beneath the official way of wording things.

I appreciate the naming efforts, Ruhr adds another touch to the story.