• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lordling

Captain
102 Badges
Dec 26, 2006
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Majesty 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
This AAR will be conducted using the Kaiserreich mod, as it really gives oppurtunity to Australia, what without democracy, and any attack by Australia on just about any country dragging me into WW2.

Note that I will be breaking my alliance with what's left of the Allies at some point, and taking a few free steps towards Interventionism and Standing Army as a bonus at that time. (I'll write in my reasoning, of course)

I'm writing a bit of alternate history between '18 and '36, of course.

- - - - - - - - -
2gvkgwk.png

The Confederation on January 1st, 1936

Parliament House, Canberra

"I must disagree, Mr. Durant. I must disagree most vehemently! You may be head of the Party, but that is, nevertheless, no reason for you to take such a dictatorial role in our nation!"

"Mr. Bentley. How good of you to disagree with me. Indeed, you, and your ilk have so often been a consistent thorn in the side of this government, and, indeed, this nation! It is vital that we move to reclaim all of Britain's colonial territories, for she has decided she cannot hold onto them herself! If the syndicalists have taken Britain, we must take her former Empire before they make moves to regaining it, under the banner of their.. syndicate."

"Durant... we cannot simply invade another country! There must be diplomatic recourse first! Something to display to the world that we are not reckless madmen!"

Durant smiled. "Oh, Mr. Bentley. Mr. Bentley. These are Indians. Little better than savages, despite their numerous uprisings. They are still ruled by princes, unlike those in Delhi who have embraced civilization, and all of its trappings. No, it is for the best. We shall take the Princely Federation, whether your Coalition agrees with us or not."

It had been some time since the loss of the Great War. The collapse of France, of her colonial empire, of the British Empire, and the subsequent German invasion of Australia. The Australians had fought on then, alongside New Zealand, but bravery and skill-at-arms were no match for dreadnoughts, for planes and bombs. Canberra itself had faced occupation, and the Germans had brought them to the treaty table.

And the treaty had been a punitive one. No ties with the British. No military action in mainland Europe, irregardless of allied involvement. No more than fifty thousand men in the army. No more than four ships, and a single wing of planes. The Germans, however, had recognised the Australians as valuable - Australia was a European nation in the Pacific, not a colony, and developed, able to serve as a refueling and repair base. That was another term Australia had been forced to agree to. And it had greatly benefited German interests, resulting in the partition of China, due to German force able to be hosted from Australia.

The treaty, the Sydney Accords, had run out but two years ago. It was then that the democratic government had fallen. Fallen, perhaps, would be too harsh a word. There were still elections, of course, and they were not tampered with. But the Nationalist Party remained a force that fed on the pride of the people, the Australians who had thought they had been ill-done by, by the democracy.

The most recent referendum had allowed them greater control over the courts and the media, directly in Nationalist Party hands. It seemed, Bentley reflected, as if the sun of democracy in Australia had just begun to set - the light was still there, but it was dimming.

And now... madness. They sought to invade another nation! It could not be condoned, he knew. But the Liberal-Labour Coalition had no power to stop the Nationalists, and so all they could do was condemn the invasion. It remained to be seen if the Indians could fight off such an invasion on their homeland...

Tribolute, what sort of event chain are we referring to, out of curiosity?

- - - - - - -
2rdkz0j.png

The Russian Revolution
Parliament House, Canberra

"And you see the obvious occur, Mr. Bentley. As leader of the Opposition, I would care to ask you if you would care to address this?"

A telegram.

"URGENT STOP REGARDING RUSSIA SYNDICALISTS STOP CALL THEMSELVES COMMUNISTS STOP MILITARY OVERTHROW OF GOVERNMENT IN PROGRESS DEMOCRATIC GOVERNMENT OVERTHROWN STOP BRITISH AND FRENCH INVOLVEMENT SUSPECTED STOP"

Durant read the words out with slow and exquisite delight, seeing Bentley's face at first take on a bewildered expression, and then a devastated one.

"As you can see, Mr. Bentley, the Syndicate has spread. From Britain to France, to the Sicilies, to Russia. The Great Bear. The largest country in the world. I believe you can imagine the implications of this?"

"..implications?", Bentley asked, stunned.

"Yes, Honourable Mr. Bentley. The syndicalists in charge of Britain have, without fear, overthrown the duly elected government in Russia. I know that we here in Australia can do nothing. But remember that the syndicate have shown themselves to act without fear. Should we leave the Indians without support, the British Empire may once again rise - but under the banner of the syndicate, without British pride or honour!"

"But that does not mean-"

"No, Mr. Bentley. It does mean we must invade. The Second Confederate Corps is prepared, fully reinforced, and they have been issued with the newest rifles. You would know this of course, as the measure passed through parliament, issuing them with the weapons. The First is being reinforced now, as young lads, eager to prove their worth against, and to show their loyalty to fallen Britain, join the army. We have the ships, and we have the men. I must move for the invasion of the Princely Federation, as soon as the troops are in place in Delhi."

Bentley shivered. He had been outmaneuvered masterfully. He had managed to forestall the invasion for some months, now, through threats of open dissent, and the dissolution of his own party. A seemingly self-destructive threat, the Australian people still valued British democracy, and parliamentarism. They were simply too careless - and perhaps too young as a nation, having never endured a dictator, to be careful with it, to hoard it away.

But if both parties should dissolve, saying that they were being strongarmed.. well, it would harm Durant badly, at the very least. But now? Now, his own party members would not follow him in such a measure. His head bowed, he spoke, in a dull voice.

"Very well, Durant. We will vote for your invasion. If it is necessary, as you say it is."

Kind of late now but first it's a change of the cabinet to a british(canadian) puppet government, the head of which is killed in a plane accident in the first week of march, so either the royalists keep power or others take power.
If the royalists stay in power they get a lot of dissent events and in 1937 if dissent is still high they have a high chance of getting couped.

May 16th

2vip5rc.png

'She's an ugly bastard' Beach, Bombay

"Ah, run you bloody Indie bastard! We're not 'ere to hurt ya, we're just 'ere to make sure yer not conquered by the bloody French!"

The Australian assault on Bombay had come completely unexpected - the Princely Federation had always maintained good relations with the former colonies of the Entente, who now referred to themselves as the Great Alliance, (well, the French did, at least), and the declaration of war had come mere moments before the assault on Bombay.

Australian troops had rushed up out of the water, brandishing rifles and preparing to dig in. They were enthusiastic, to say the least. They weren't all that interested in the pillage of war, which could be said in their favour. Rather, they'd been told they were there to stop the Indians from falling to the International Syndicate, and to bring them into the Confederation, so that they could enjoy democracy and freedom, rather than having them ruled by 'them bloody princes in their golden pal-ay-ces'.

For that, they were ready to fight. The resistance had been minimal - out of two corps, and forty thousand men, only two had died. They'd decided to have a victory set of fireworks - and so they'd taken some of their company's grenades, piled them up near a truck they'd captured, and pulled the pin on one.

In retrospect, they weren't that stupid. After all, it wasn't the grenades that had killed them. It was the exploding truck.

But a few tragedies aside, the Australians had taken Bombay. Already, they were spreading out, rolling out barbed wire, and, with large-handled spades, digging out small trenches, preparing for any possible counter-attack. They'd been told it would be an easy war, but.. it was better to be safe. And Australia didn't have enough people to be anything but safe. Besides, if they were thrown out now.. they might be annihilated before they could be evacuated. No, they had to make sure they held Bombay.

And so the artillery was shipped ashore, the wire went up, and the trenches came up. Only small, mind you, but enough to push the Indian blokes back if they decided to come forward..

May 21st

2q8aqud.png

Hyderabad

"First Cavalry is well under way. Stop. We are in Hyderabad. Government has fallen, and I have persuaded Mohammed Ipal to give up the trappings of state. Stop."

It had been a mere five days since the fall of Bombay. Since then, the Australian campaign had been simple - they didn't have numbers, as the Indians had almost twice as many men as they did in the Federation, but they had the right forces in the right place. Two Australian divisions had attacked a pair of Indian ones coming down to defend Hyderabad, pushing them back easily. Four hundred men had been lost, however, to some Indian thousands.

The First Cavalry Division had swept down to Hyderabad, and marched triumpantly into the capital. From there, the capture of the leaders of the Federation meant that its annexation was assured.. following an announcement from their leader, Mohammed Ipal. Telegrammed all over the nations, and through the newspapers.. the Princely Federation was in no position to refuse its annexation, especially since the Confederation offered full citizenship to every citizen who enlisted into their armies.

At 8:12 that morning, the surrender was signed, and the first extra-Australasian province of the Confederation was formally annexed. There were those who grumbled, of course, and those who disliked what the Confederation had done - but there was no denying the floods of cheap labour who were soon to swarm to Australian shores...

- - - - -

Note that my overall plans include the conquest of India (cheap, dissent-free manpower, which is equal to all of my Australian manpower, even if I ojnly get a fifth of it, and Bengali energy will come in handy. I might conquer Siam, if I'm feeling lucky, because they're all dissent-free, and they're fairly resource-filled.

I also have designs on the Netherlands West Indies (rares, anyone?), the Philippines (if the US collapses in this game they'll be easy pickings), and Japan. Japan is my ultimate goal for control of the Pacific, and they're also very dissent-filled, so I'll have to garrison the living crap out of them.

Of course, my final goal is the control of Pacific colonial Germany, which means I'll have to go to war with the greatest (naval and land.. and air) power in the world, alongside her formidable complement of allies. It might be obvious, because of that, as to why I'm building an Empire.

30szsxw.png

General White masterminds brilliant attack on Bengal! Bengalese government surrenders!

Bentley swore. John Bentley was not a man given to obscenities, admittedly, but he had been kept out of the loop, so to speak, for some time now. His support in the Senate had been eroded beyond repair, the last area where he held some jurisdiction. It was, of course, because of the way the war had been conducted.

The Princely Federation had fallen, and accepted annexation. Bengal, however.. Bengal was a nation with an even more powerful military - a military that rivalled Australia's in numbers, and, although perhaps not in equipment, they certainly had the power to push the Australians out.

"Blitzkrieg."

"What?"

"Blitzkrieg is a German word. It refers to the style of warfare adopted at the end of the Great War. Warfare that puts emphasis on speed, and mobility. I am unsure of how to explain it, exactly, John, but the Panzers of the Germans on the Russian front let them push through - almost to Moscow. The Tsars surrendered, and Russia was out of the war. The French still continued on with their plans for defense, despite evidence that it would not work. The British.. well, you remember what happened in 1917?"

"Yes. I do."

"Well, as you know, the British were told to defend the northern area by the French, however, they were given a larger area than they could effectively hold, while French forces were concentrated thickly to the south. So the British complained, and were suffering heavy losses. Of course, they were allied to the French, so they couldn't just pull out. But the Germans used tank warfare, supported by planes there to great effect, smashing through the British lines at six seperate areas, and obtaining a surrender from their Field Marshall.. I don't remember his name, unfortunately."

"Brown, I believe it was."

"Ah. But the point is, John, that we're using that sort of warfare up in Bengal."

"Can you elaborate on that, Bill?"

William Green-Baxter, one of his few friends outside of his party, was a former general. Of course, he wasn't entirely trusted by the Nationalists, so he'd been dismissed. He was more of a student of military history, now. And of tactics, and strategy.

"John.. we've simply struck through their lines, despite their relative strength. With the single wing of bombers we have, we disorganized their frontlines, landed behind them with a corps of infantry, and used our cavalry to be the tank - the speedy unit, dismounting to fight, of course, but able to outmaneuver them. After that.. they were driven back, and we picked up our troops, landed them near Calcutta, and proceeded to capture the capital. Of course, it's government-run news, so it might not be entirely accurate, but it seems to be a decent strategy, especially againt an unprepared enemy like the Bengalese were."

"I see. Not that knowing that helps me in any way. I need a failure, a.. a trip-up by that bloody bastard Durant, so I can stop his... outright disregard of our rights and our democracy!"

Bill sighed. "Look.. I can't help you there, John. I'm not a politco, and I don't want to be. Just don't be too offensive, orright?"

"Fine. I'll go with him for as long as I think I have to.."

A fine series of update. :)

Foreign Affairs

Durant sighed, and sat back.

"Yes, Mr. Delbar. I understand your concerns."

"They are not just concerns, Prime Minister Durant! They are complaints! We were assured that this war was merely to secure our southern border, expand Delhi's borders to a more reasonable extent, and make sure the military threat of Bengal was pacified. I must protest in the strongest possible language! Indeed, Sir Edward has demanded that the First Confederate Air Wing be removed from Delhi, and rebased in Australasian territory!"

Durant cursed the man internally. "Fine. As soon as we can telegram our orders across, the First Air Wing will be gone. Mr. Delbar, I have a.. proposition for you. Australasia is not blind to the concerns of her allies. We are willing to cede Surat, and the Satpura Mountains to you, so that Delhi may have a more secure southern border."

"I will accept this, Mr. Durant. Though those lands are poor in resources, they will serve to allow us to spread our people more widely."

"Very good. Now.. I suggest, Mr. Ambassador, that you return to your embassy. I have work to do.."

Delhi was but a minor concern. The world was afire with the flames of war. Russia had collapsed, the Don-Kuban Union and Alash Orda grabbing what they could from the fallen giant, and the Soviet Union, the syndicate's pet, declaring that they would now rule Russia. In the east, Siberia had declared independence, although it was closely allied with Russia.. and seeing a chance to take what it could from the dying nation, one of Germany's allies had declared war on it, bringing the Central Powers into the war.

It would not last long. A nigh-dead Russia, fighting off a revolution and the greatest power in the world at the same time.. it stood little chance, that he knew. However, while it lasted.. it gave him a chance to grab what he could. To restore the glory of Australia, at Germany's expense.

He still remembered it. 1921, Treaty Day. The 8th of April. The Australian Fleet, as valiantly as it had fought alongside of its New Zealand ally's one, was crushed mercilessly by endless swarms of battleships and carriers, of destroyers and submarines. Not a ship remained. And then three divisions set up in Brisbane, in Sydney, in Canberra, in order to defend the homeland.

They had totalled fifty divisions in the end. A mammoth effort, from such a tiny nation. And yet it could not match the half-thousand of such that came from Germany and her allies. No-one doubted their bravery, or their tenacity. But what could they do against rolling columns of tanks, of endless corps of Germans who simply seemed to rush over their defenses, no matter what they did?

The Siege of Brisbane had lasted six weeks. Six long and bloody weeks. Thirty thousand men against three hundred thousand. Makeshift fortifications, old pieces of artillery, and not a single bloody plane or tank to be seen for hundreds of miles. German dive-bombers, constant artillery bombardment.. He was one of the survivors. One of the two hundred.

That was why, in some way, he sought revenge. It was not just pride. No, Australia had not been humiliated. They'd thrown the bloody Germans out time and time again - they had lost all but two hundred of the thirty thousand. The Germans had lost fifty thousand. Sometimes, he heard the gunfire, and the screaming again. Sometimes, the planes whined behind his ears, unheard by all but him, and then he could hear the bombs and bullets screaming towards him, giving him seconds to live.. it was those nights, nearly every night, that he awoke in a cold sweat.

India was peripheral. So was Russia, and any other nation who fought them, or fought Germany. No, he would see the Germans pay. For what they'd done to his nation, and to him.

And no bastard of a peace-loving, sheep-loving Liberal is going to get in the way of that, either.., he thought.

With that, he turned to the maps. They were rudimentary - but it seemed that the Germans couldn't invade Russia without going through the newly-formed Soviet Union.

"Good", he mumbled. "If Russia can get its bloody arse back on track, they might just be in with a fighting chance.."

Well, well, well. The US has collapsed. And in a particularly unusual way to do so, too. Consider that the US has around.. 300 base IC, and divide it by 5 (as Australia has no Prince of Terror to prop its conquered IC up, unfortunately), we get around 60 IC. A respectable number indeed. That would increase Australia's IC to around 100, which would transform it from the foremost power among the weak and pitiable Allies, to a powerhouse worthy of Russia or Germany.

- - - - - -

It had been six months since the fall of India. Since then, Australia had made strides and bounds towards becoming a great empire. Firstly, she had conquered Bhutan - a tiny nation, but still one that contributed. And then Nepal, forcing the surrender of most of Nepal, but leaving the capital in the hands of a puppet government.

From there, Australia had built. She had constructed and she had built a new ship, the Brooke. Although not a navy worthy of Canada, it was a start. The 1st Australian Marine Division had been created, and, alongside them, two new infantry divisions. Enough for what she needed, in any case. It had been sudden, the collapse of the United States. The secession of California, and then the secession of the Union State some weeks after.

From there, the Syndicate had taken control of the remainder, the mighty navy, and what else remained of the US's forces. Now, they were squabbling like children over the scraps of a mighty empire - each one with the potential to rise, to conquer, and to reunite the United States under their own banner, forging a new world power, so that they may construct a great Empire of teir own.

Of course, if another got there first...

It was from the concerns in Russia that Durant felt it necessary.

4hx7pj6.png

The Russian Civil War

The Don-Kuban Union occupied much of former Russia, whilst the Soviet Union, now a power about the size of Australia, occupied the rest. Siberia had fallen, and the Japanese, through the useage of their puppets, Transamur and Manchuria, had decided to take a bite out of the Russian pie. When the time came to deal with Japan, no doubt that would be something they would have to deal with.

However, for now.. Russia had been the only counterweight to German ambition to their east, which would've prevented them from waging another costly two-front war, another war which would've allowed Australia to take many German colonies for little effort. If France waged war on Germany now, they would only annoy them, and inevitably fail.

So Durant needed to find other prey. Or nations to fall to the banner of Australian pride and power.

48ed0sp.png

The Second American Civil War

Here he found easy prey. Three nations. The first target was to be California. The weakest of the three, but also one not engaged in war. If he took California, garrisoned it, and used it to supplement the power of Australia, he would not be so badly off in a second war. From there he could conquer the Union State, and, from there, prepare to wage war against the remnants of those loyal states - which would, of course, include their Pacific holdings.

He had told no-one of this plan. For now, it would be an allied plan, supposedly spearheaded by Canada. To restore order to their American brothers, who so obviously lacked it themselves. That would be their catchcry. So they would invade, and, if order did not restore itself.. why, they would invade again! It was a simple justification, but one he saw as reasonable. The Union State was madness - he desired power, yes, but not to stop democracy - rather, to prevent those who would stop Australia's pride from being restored! But the Union State was a pure dictatorship, where one man ruled, and the masses obeyed, despite what they might think.

And these new Syndicates were like those in France, and in Sicily, and in Britain. They were filth. Lying, despicable filth. He loathed them. Those who had opposed the War, had opposed everything they'd fought for - and then laughed gaily as they took the reins of power over the bodies of the men who had died for their freedom. If he had the power.. he would see every last one of them ground into dust. And he would have the power...

Reckon we could get a picture of the cabinet? ;)

Be careful of invading California. They might be the weakest of the break-away states, but I'm pretty sure they get free units upon creation and could cause some trouble for your invasion force.

This Durant chappy is clearly a driven fellow but you've rounded him out very well. I wish him, and Australia, nothing but success in his ambitious dreams of revenge.

Firstly, I know it's Australasia - but in the alternate history I'm writing, it hasn't been like that for overly long. When I'm referring to the Empire as a whole - well, the Confederation, I refer to Australasia. But, for the most part, the troops are recruited from Australia and New Zealand (the latter of which Durant considers to be part of Australia in any case), and only Australian citizens are given the vote when it pertains to the entire Confederation - so the vast Indian population only votes on their viceroys and governors.

4i6l0lx.png

The Cabinet

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"You son of a bitch! You absolute son of a bitch!"

"I assume you have not come to surrender, Mr. Ambassador? Ah, wait. You appear to be momentarily.. waylaid. Please, speak to me again once you have calmed down."

The ambassador from California - a Mr. Wetherspoon, had just been taken into custody. Durant had informed him that, as of 10:00, a state of war existed between California and Australasia, and that Canada and France, not to mention Delhi, were soon to follow suit. Due to the inability of the American people to maintain a state that was whole, and conducive to the stability of the world, such a state would shortly be imposed upon them.

The ambassador had responded - not with words, but rather with his fists. Both of Durant's eyes were swollen, and the doctor his Cabinet had ordered up had informed him he had two cracked ribs. It had taken no less than six men to restrain the men, and he was now taken away - hopefully to be put on a ship back to California, however, it seemed likely that the 'country' would fall before it could be done.

He looked over the reports that had been given to him, resisting the urge to touch his pained eye.

"Ah, Mr. McLachlan. So good of you to come. Tell me, what do we know of the California army?"

"Well, Mr. Durant, I think this might take some explaining. It appears our early intelligence was wrong - or the Californians have managed to double their army size in short order."

Durant frowned. This wasn't the news he'd been hoping for.

"They have some seventeen divisions deployed, sir, so far as we can tell. However, approximately eight of those are being dedicated to the invasion of Canada-"

"The Canadians are never going to forgive us for failing to protect their border, are they?"

"Probably not, sir. However, all they've managed to take is some non-vital land, with no resources they can utilize, and one or two factories, for the cost of eight divisions. We've began to move the Canadian Army from Ottowa to Winnipeg, in conjuction with General Ashton, their current Chief of Staff - and Chief of the Army, so we'll have three divisions threatening the Californian invasion in short order."

"I see. How do our forces stand?"

McLachlan handed him a picture.

34rh8jm.png

The Invasion of Californa

"We have six divisions deployed to the south - we're facing approximately as many from California, and seven deployed in the north. If needs be, we can call up another four divisions from Australia, which makes seventeen. We have a single division in India, making sure that no threat emerges, and helping in the training of the local militia."

"Do you mean to tell me that we're facing seventeen divisions on their own ground, with only sixteen of our own?!"

"Yessir."

"Would you care to tell me how this came about?"

"Well, sir-"

"This is a failure of your intelligence service, Mr. McLachlan. You've served admirably when telling me about the types of rifles the Canadians are using - but you slip a bit when you're required to count how many divisions they have. Not that the second is important at all. No, not at all."

"...Are you dismissing me, sir?"

"You have until.. five o'clock to hand in your resignation in a dignified way. I'm sure we'll find a new place for you in General Bingham-White's intelligence service, seeing as you did serve well when pertaining to technical specifications."

"Yes, Mr. Durant. You'll have my resignation."

"Good. Now, get out!"

Ashton scurried out, his head bowed, as another man walked in from a door on the other side of the room.

"Ah, General Bingham-White. Or rather, CEIS Chief Bingham-White. You are now the chief of the Confederate External Intelligence Services. As I understand it, you were the one who gathered the additional data on the Californian troops?"

"Yes, Prime Minister. However, before you launch into a request for an explanation as to how it came to this, let me explain one thing."

"What?"

"Approximately two-thirds of the seventeen-division force we're facing are merely militia. Inexperienced, weak men. We've seen such an easy victory because of them. Twelve of those 'divisions' are only half-strength, in fact, as militia divisions are wont to be. Another four of these divisions are Great-War era infantry - infantry America would've used, had she entered the War. They're hardly a threat. In fact, the only division that poses a threat to any of our forces is the.. 1st "Red Sox" Infantry Division, a fully-equipped, fully-modernized division of infantry. However, they're at the northern end of the Canadian invasion, so it's unlikely that we'll have to face them at all."

"In contrast, our military has fought Bengali and Princely Federation troops, we've battled against the Bhutanese, and they're all experienced to some measure, and we've got experienced, hardened commanders who know what they're doing. The Californians have no real central command, and they appear to be milling about as independent armies under the command of their various Major-Generals and whatnot. Only the invasion in the north is cohesive - and, to be honest, as soon as we sweep through the south against the two or three divisions that remain there, we'll be able to concentrate our efforts to the north, and cut the invading troops off from any supplies, and utterly annihilate them, or so Mr. Langely informs me."

Durant sighed. The pain made him irritable, but, still.. there were affairs to deal with. "By the way, tell Mr. Langely I want Portland, San Fransisco, Los Angeles and San Diego."

"I thought you wanted to annex all of California, Prime Minister?"

"I did. But then I realised that most of the heavy industry we need is on the coast, and keeping that heavy industry is crucial to control of the Americas. However, occupying a land the size of California.. I can't see our two hundred thousand accomplishing it with any degree of effectiveness. So long as the Californians agree to some sort of statute which requires them to subordinate themselves to my government.. we'll let them have the rest."

- - - -
Yeah.. the partisan rating in California is INSANE, even with my Open Society, and low, low dissent (I spent my time DoWing Bhutan mostly just using it to get rid of my dissent, to be honest), running at around 12% a province. If I were Russia, or Germany, this wouldn't be an issue. However, I have a total of twenty divisions - one of which is a garrison for Port Moresby, and the second being a militia unit in Darwin. The middle of California is immensely valuable - masses of oil and energy, however, I'm just going to take a total of 17 IC from the Californians in four provinces, which should be MUCH easier to garrison. Besides, for four garrisons, I get around 3.5 IC, which is a decent amount.