• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The problem with hitting the French is that I need to be assured of victory before I attack them - if I attack them and lose, they'll push me out of Europe, thus negating a whole lot of work. I'm hoping that they'll actually start winning to some degree - especially in Austria, as, if their troops are advanced far enough, they won't be able to return home in time to stop me taking Paris.

Of course, I'll need to ferry over the Canadian, Californian, Delhi, CSA, and maybe even the ancient Nepal army to just give me the numbers I'll need to do this, which means stripping the Entente of troops, which, in turn, means partisans in the CSA would quite probably take all of it.

The main problem I'm facing, however, is the British Navy. Hopefully, they'll just engage in mutual annihilation with the German Navy, leaving the first destroyed and the second vastly weaked, allowing me to own the Channel, but, if they don't... well, relying on sea power to ferry my troops around France would allow me massive speed advantages over the French, and, even if I don't have the numbers, I could outmaneuver them, hopefully allowing me to encircle enemy troops at key moments.

I have air superiority, hopefully naval superiority, and I should be able to scrape up enough troops so that the French forces don't outnumber me more than 3-2. After that.. it's just a race to see if I or the Germans reach Paris first. ;)

I doubt the French can push you out of Europe completely, the mountains of Burgos will hold 'em off, but it would be a terrible defeat nevertheless.

France can beat Germany, especially when Britain does something.

Lordling said:
And, of course, from there, the liberation of France. He had plans once more, plans that saw the world liberated under his rule.

Because Durant is only only doing it for freedom. Ruling the world and making himself it's undisputed master is nothing more than a fringe benefit.... :D

Excellent few updates, please keep it up.

I have finally caught up with this. Very enjoyable read. Durant's megalomania couched in the rhetoric of freeing the world from the syndicates and humbling Germany is interesting to follow.

I want to thank you for voting for my AAR. I wish you would have commented, I would have learned about your AAR sooner. I only noticed it when I read your ballot.

But, regardless, I found it, read it, and like it. Keep up the good work. It will be fun to watch how Durant tries to keep France and Germany bleeding each other long enough for him to take advantage. I also wonder if anyone will get fed up enough with Durant to remove him. Hmmmmm...plot device. :D

Operation Staging Point

"As you can see, General, we'll have to launch several, possibly simultaneous invasions in order to secure the remainder of Europe under Entente rule. Ireland must be taken to facilitate an invasion of Great Britain, the Kingdom of Spain must fall in order to allow us to effectively invade France, and, of course, we must do all this whilst retaining our lines in Spain, and our position in Holland."

"I see, sir. Mr. Ramsay... I have a proposal."

"Yes?"

"We evacuate our army out of the Netherlands. I know we're planning to set up a puppet government there, so we can afford to let the partisans rest easy there."

"..that, however, leaves Holland open to attack by all and sundry. Should the Germanys decide to incorporate it into their defensive line, or should the French break through the German lines, we will lose Holland."

"With all due respect, sir, it doesn't matter. Holland is unfortified, and, frankly, we can't hold it in any case. If we try and invade from there, we face the entire French or German army, and defending it for the pitiful few resources and factories it yields is madness. Furthermore, the fortresses are around Holland - neither side could hold it effectively, it would only weaken them. No, we could use those men elsewhere."

"General, your proposal.. seems good. Besides, you're on the ground there, you know what you're talking about. However.. if Holland falls, you'll be out of the Army and into a court-martial quicker than you can say 'shit'. Do you understand me?"

"Yessir. I take the responsibility, you get the glory."

"I didn't say that. You'll get your due. What it is, however, depends on whether you fail or succeed.."

The first thing to do, of course, was to ship troops over, from the Americas, from Delhi. It would leave those places undefended, yes, but it would also give them the force they needed to carry out their invasions..

- - - -
The Battle of Cadiz

"Hard to port! Ships are firing to starboard!"

"I see 'em. They're English, sir!"

"So, they must be fighting the Germans.."

The fleet moved out from its position at Cadiz, making sure it did not get entangled in the battle. But they watched. And, despite German complaints of interference, they did not interfere. Rather, they watched. Six British carriers, and ten or so light cruisers, versus twelve German battleships, and an equal force of heavy cruisers, and an excess of destroyers. There were other ships, as well, but they were the main of it.

Now, it seemed, was the moment of truth. Were carriers useful? Had the Australasian Navy wasted their money on the construction of the five carriers it now owned? And the twelve light carriers? If the carrier turned out to be truly the king of the sea, then they were unassailable. It was peculiar - the Germans, they were hoping, would win at sea, allowing an invasion of Britain. But now, they were hoping against hope that the Germans would lose, utterly and shamefully.

One. Two. Three. Six. Eight! The Germany toll mounted higher, and the Australasian ships radioed in a request to be allowed to pick up survivors. The Germans and the French agreed - and so the Australasian sent out motor launches, smaller ships, rescuing drowning sailors where they could. Both sides would appreciate this, the repatriation of the soldiers, and it would, perhaps, give the Confederation a little more credibility in international diplomacy.

The German fleet disengaged, burning hulks surrounding their ships. Two British carriers had been lost - and four cruisers. But the Germans had lost eight cruisers, and six battleships. And the Germans had started with the numerical advantage. Yes, the carrier was the queen of the sea.

Aboard the HMAS Vengeance, the captain toasted the carrier, with whisky all round for the crew. Men had died, yes. The hated Syndicate had won a devastating victory. But the Australian Navy possessed not a single battleship, and, had the Germans won, the consequences for morale, as well as the navy, would've been even more devastating.

So they celebrated. With the Entente in possession of the largest carrier force in the world - thirteen carriers proper, and twelve light, as opposed to the Brits, who only had eight - six, now, they had a navy that none could challenge. The Japanese had two, the Germans one. The Germans, admittedly, still had thirty battleships, despite their loss of eight. They would prove a true adversary, but, with the losses they would incur, the Entente would once again rule the ocean..

- - - -

"The French are in position?"

"Yes, Prime Minister. The French are prepared to seize all Spanish African mainland holdings as soon as we attack. We have thirty divisions on the peninsula, and now our transports are back from the American mainland, we'll be sending them to Sydney to pick up our.. weapon."

"Weapon?"

"Six divisions of armor, sir. Almost as many as the Syndicate French or Germans have. With those, we can sweep through France before the Frenchies can react at all. Followed up by our superior infantry.. I'd say this war might as well be over, don't you?"

"No, I don't. The French may be engaged otherwise, but they'll still have a firm 3-2 advantage, even if we ship the bloody Nepalese over here! We need to move decisively, quickly, and wring concessions from them before they can react at all."

- - - -

"And so, Your Majesty, I must regretfully inform you, due to the oppression your monarchy brings, the blatant hostility towards our interests in Europe, and your toleration of Sydicalists within your borders, a state of war now exists between the Australasian Confederation and the Kingdom of Spain. Good day, sir."

The King of Spain stood there, shocked. The Confederation had been on the closest of terms with him! They'd even discussed an alliance. He'd been somewhat amenable, to tell the truth. Of course, there were few who listened to him in the Spanish government. But now.. it seemed Spain would fall. He knew that. Nine divisions on the mainland, drafted men from Spain who had never fought before, versus thirty battle-hardened Australasian divisions, who had equipment five years ahead of his own.

And if the three-to-one factor wasn't bad enough, then there were the planes..

- - -
2en1cg1.png

It took only three weeks for Spain to fall. Three short weeks. The Spanish army in constant retreat, not a single counter-attack made. It was hardly worth the name 'campaign'. Indeed, the greatest casualties were the bomber pilots, who took massive losses at an ill-planned raid at Madrid, early in the war.

Now, though, Spain was pacified. And it was just as well. France was weakening - the men on her border had fallen back, from Austria to Metz, the French were losing the war. Oh, the Syndicate was winning the war at sea, but on the ground, the French had lost all of their gains. It seemed as if the Syndicate's ill-timed war would finally give the Germans total victory. And so, Durant thought, they had to move their troops up to the border quickly. And, of course, to move the Australian and Canadian Navies to Spain, where they could sink the British Navy, should it choose to interfere in the movement of troops. Once it was all done, France would fall from both sides..

48ppmhg.png

Occupied France and Italy

"So, General. What excuse do you have? What misshapen lies will you bring before us, for your support of the Syndicate?"

"Filthy money-grubber! I make no excuses! I have served the Syndicate, and through it, the very good of mankind! The workers will rise again, and, when we do, we will slaughter those who oppose us, those who oppress us, mercilessly! Do you hear me?! WE WILL RISE AGAIN!"

"Charming. Lieutenant? Kill him."

Durant turned, bored of the spectacle of the Syndicalist Field Marshal - the highest-ranking man they had captured during their assault. A gunshot rang out, and blood spattered the ground. And then he became the highest-ranking man they had killed during their assault.

Lieutenant Generals, Major Generals.. soldiers.. every man who had been of some rank, down to the lowliest lieutenant, were being slaughtered. By his order. Any man who would serve the Syndicate, he reasoned, and gain rank from it, was doing so to the detriment of all the world. And to kill them was merely his duty - to prevent the taint from spreading. They had already gone through villages, found leaders, no, found tyrants who ruled in the name of the worker, and they had.. removed them. Some were now prisoners in Biak Island, the new prison-island for the most vile, the most evil persons they had captured.

Others had been killed. But it mattered now. Rome was in Australasian hands, even if Paris was not. A provisional government would be set up.. but he feared it would lack the legitimacy of a real government.

Perhaps they would simply occupy it, until Petain could return to the mainland, and institute his government there. Of course, Petain was seen as a traitor, especially after he signed the armistice in the Great War, giving up so much to the Germans. But.. it didn't really matter, one way or another. A provisional government would annoy the National French, as they termed themselves, but giving them control of France, would only incite rebels. He wasn't entirely sure what to do - and thus.. it would keep.

The destruction of Britain was next to do, and this, he knew, the Germans would not be able to accomplish as well as he. The only major naval engagement with the British they had seen had sent two British battleships to the bottom of the sea - admittedly at the price of a light carrier, but, considering a battlecruiser cost twice as much as a light carrier, and a battleship half as much again.. they had lost six times the effort, and had been forced to retreat from the coast of France.

If he invaded Britain.. thoughts swirled through his head. It would be difficult, yes. It would have to come from Scotland, as the south was well-defended. If the British decided to step up their forces in Africa, it would be easier... so pushing them there would force them to defeat that much quicker. Yes, France had fallen, Georgia was likely to do so, and the Sicilies were only spared by Australasian troops because of the effort the Austrians would have to spend in garrisoning them. And, of course, because Britain was a far, far more valuable prize for the taking...

"Sir.. I have some bad news."

"Bad news? What is it, Colvin?"

"Well.. read for yourself, sir. I think it's bad enough to warrant an interruption. Six hours ago, we engaged the majority of the British Navy off the coast of Ireland."

"And?"

"We sunk four battleships, and a carrier."

"Well, then. What is the bad news?"

Colvin cringed.

2hf0wa9.png

"Five light carriers?! TWO CARRIERS?! Who was commanding this fleet? The Grand Admiral of Tibet?"

"Sir, with all due respect, we were outnumbered significantly. The British had over ten cruisers there - it is to my surprise that we did not sink a single one. But the fact remains that they had more carriers there than we did, battleships, battlecruisers, and cruisers in surplus. Our estimation of their fleet strength, however, tell us they have no more than 2 battleships left, and 3 carriers."

"..and we have how many in the Bay of Biscay?"

"Counting the remainder of the 1st Royal Australian Carrier Group.. 3 carriers. 4 light carriers. We can call another two light carriers up from Australia, if we feel the need. And we have three more carriers laid down that will be completed through the middle of next year."

"It's.. still not enough. I think it's time to call in the Canadians. 8 carriers, a similiar number of battleships, and large force of almost-obsolete cruisers and destroyers should win the day."

"Sir.. that will reduce our standing in the eyes of the Canadians."

"Frankly, Colvin, I don't give a damn. The British have outdone us, and we won't be regaining the British Channel unless the Germans are kind enough to do it for us. With three carriers versus their three, and the ten or twenty destroyer squadrons we can muster, they're our equals in the Channel, now. Not to mention those pretty bombers that fly over the Channel every night. Get me the Canadian Fleet, and we'll take Britain. If you're incapabable of talking to your Canadian counterpart, consider yourself dismissed!"

Colvin reflected on this for a moment. "I'll go get him on the telephone presently, sir."

"Excellent. The British want to play in the sea again, do they? Tell them we're bringing our older brother out, eh?"

A smile momentarily broke Durant's face. It wasn't all bad news. The British had lost as much as they had, and the Australians had just as much industrial capacity as the British did. But the Australians had allies, and weren't at war with the Germans - no, he thought he'd do fine. This, at least, would give the Navy an excuse to commission those new carriers that had just been designed...

Liverpool, 21:12, Greenwich Time
4g5it5k.png

Forty thousand Australian men. A thousand lay dead on the beaches behind them, but their mates were dead, now. Time to push on. Time to sorrow later. They had chased the British out of Liverpool, and it wouldn't be long, now, before the rest of the Isle fell..

Australasian fighters, the longer-ranged ones, were now racing up and down the British Channel, keeping the scattered remnants of the British Fleet busy, whilst more and more troops were prepared, prepared to ferry into Britain. The first foothold had been gained, and the first airfield secured. With the endless sea of wings that was the Australasian Airforce, and the bravery of the Army, Britain stood no chance. Perhaps it was foolishness, sending more than two-thirds of her army abroad, to fight in Africa, a dream of lost glory, of lost Empire driving them onwards.

No matter.

The British had sealed their own downfall - and through their downfall, they would be revived, Durant was determined. The glory of the British Empire was gone, but the glory of his Empire - the Australian Empire, the proud sons of Britian who had not fallen to the corruption of the Syndicate, would see it rise once more...

After Liverpool would come London, and then Scotland, and all of England would fall, and, with the fall, democracy and order would be restored. Perhaps not in that order, but restored nonetheless..

"Democracy! Pah!"

Bentley picked up the bottle of vodka, one of the exports from the newly-formed Soviet Union, and drank. There had been no elections since 1935. Five long years, when elections should've been called every three - wartime suspension of elections, they called it. And with Durant in charge, wartime would never end.

"Bloody Durant. Kicks us out of Parliament House 'cause there isn't no more point in it. Newspapers don't even put in on the front page. Democracy? It's all gone, now. We got ourselves a real live Kaiser, here. 'cept the German Kaiser has morals."

Bentley took another pull at the bottle, draining it. Hazily, he fell off his chair, onto a pile of blankets that sat nearby..

The door to the room opened. A crack of light appeared.

"Wha.. who.. wha 'sit?"

An old and wrinkled face appeared, followed by the old and wrinkled face's body. "Ah, Mr. Bentley. You haven't met me, but I have followed your career most closely. I am Merriam.. Frank Merriam..."

Last edited:
Nice update but you pasted the same picture twice :rofl:

So no invasion of Ireland? Pity, you need to teach someone to drink the better beer. And elections are every 4 in Australia, just sometimes they put it early or late depending on circumstances. It's not a fixed date like in America.

Tribolute, I do realise how long elections terms are in Australia, but, despite Durant's nationalism, the Confederation isn't Australia. He thinks of it as Australia + Surrounding Territories, but, rather, legally and constititionally, the government was more-or-less set up by the Germans, as part of the Treaty of Sydney, so there are a few peculiarities there, even though the Germans didn't want to 'fix' anything that wasn't already broken. (In fact, I've been thinking about the judical system as well, in order to make sure it's a fair bit different from actual Australia)

EDIT: I'm fairly sure you can't call an election late over here. Early ones can be called, yes, but they have to happen at least every so often.

Lordling said:
Tribolute, I do realise how long elections terms are in Australia, but, despite Durant's nationalism, the Confederation isn't Australia. He thinks of it as Australia + Surrounding Territories, but, rather, legally and constititionally, the government was more-or-less set up by the Germans, as part of the Treaty of Sydney, so there are a few peculiarities there, even though the Germans didn't want to 'fix' anything that wasn't already broken. (In fact, I've been thinking about the judical system as well, in order to make sure it's a fair bit different from actual Australia)

EDIT: I'm fairly sure you can't call an election late over here. Early ones can be called, yes, but they have to happen at least every so often.
It can be within reason like 1-2 months due to whatever event but you're right.

Heh, the storyline i'm trying to push in Kaiserreich is that after the collapse of Britain, The Monarchy in Canada pretty much tightly holds everything else and suspends all Parliaments across it's remaining territories, turning into a despised pro-British government and army.
(mind you Australia wasn't invaded in this timeline just once the war was lost there was treaty signed with no reality to it, although they held onto Papua)

The shot rang out. Merriam fell to the floor. Over him, stepped a man. A strange man. One Bentley had never seen before. No, he had never seen the likes of him before - he was strange, in clothes that ill-fitted.. everywhere he had ever been. Rainbow colours shimmered, and Bentley was sober. The alcohol purged from his system in a display of power by the stranger.

Ah. Bentley. You are going to die now.

"Y-you.. killed him!"

No, I didn't. One of Durant's men, a Lieutenant Brown, killed him. I am merely.. borrowing his time for a second. As anachronistic as that may sound.

"What?!"

There is no time to explain - rather, there is, but it is not time you have. When Merriam dies, and you die, certain things change. The fate of the war takes a drastic turn, and one of your governments is overthrown. Pride meets pride, and the power of the atom meets your leader's stubborness. The world is all but destroyed in the ensuing conflict. This itself is only a grain of sand in the ocean - yet the ripple changes the fate of everything.

"...the... I don't.. what?"

Merriam is dead. You are now begging for your life. Within a minute, you too will be dead, too drunk to defend yourself, or even roust yourself from the pile of sodden blankets you now call a bed.

"Dead?"

Indeed. What if.. what if I gave you a chance to live? A month more to live in. A month in which you could change things.

"Change what?"

I doubt you would know. Rather, you will not remember this, or me. It will never have happened. But a butterfly's wing can cause a hurricane to come about. I will provide the butterfly's wing. You, Bentley, must provide the hurricane. You have eight seconds. Live or die?

"Live! I... I... want to live!"

Good.

The world twists. Reality itself is bent, as time inverts, and spins, space intermingling with other dimensions at will. Bentley has no perception of this, he does not possess the ability. It is, however, one month earlier when he rises from his bed.

He reaches out for the half-full bottle of whisky beside his bed he had last night. It is gone.

I will provide the butterfly's wing...

- - - - -

Essentially, a rather nasty CTD hit me 3 hours before autosave kicked in - and all my conquest of France was gone. Rather than sigh and try to replicate, I thought, 'hell! This fits in nicely with someone else I was writing! Why not try to put the two together, eh?'. So that is what has happened, for those wondering.

8 Transports: 8 manpower
6 Divisions of marines: 90 manpower
Losing all those divisions of marines because they refuse to retreat onto transports which are of a different nationality to themseves: Really fucking annoying.

- - - - - - - - -

"They what?"

"Sir.. the Portuguese refused to go in under British fire, even with escorts, to get our sailors out. Seems they weren't too partial to their conquerers."

"...my god. This is the largest single casualty I've ever incurred. Ever. Ninety thousand men. We can't rebuild that sort of force, General. Any invasion plans we had are gone. Dust. Nothing. NOTHING!"

Durant's mind worked quickly. But nothing could replace those marines. They didn't have the men. No, it seemed, the Confederation was going to be doomed to a long and painful war. A single, decisive blow had been stopped, and it would take a thousand smaller ones to defeat Britain. The French had fallen, and the Sicilians were not far behind. Georgia had the position to survive - but the Ukranians were also on the Black Sea, and their industrial power would eventually overcome that of their enemy's.

Perhaps.. perhaps something could be salvaged. With enough ships and men.. who knew? The only thing for it was to redouble their efforts, sink every last ship in the British Fleet, destroy every plane, and, from there, somehow, somehow take Britain. Before the Germans did.

Durant swore. "Ninety thousand men. Have the British released any information on what's going to happen to them?"

"Yessir. They have sent a telegram. They will be interred at a prison camp, apart from their officers and generals."

"..what?"

"They will suffer the same fate as those French we captured, it says here. I imagine, sir, we're going to be short of a Marine Officer Corps.. those absolute bastards. I'll make whoever did that pay, sir. No man does that to my boys, and gets away with it.."

"Good. Send the British Fleet to the bottom of the ocean, for a start."

"Yessir!"

Yeah, the CTD hit me annoyingly. But, no matter, it fits in well with other things I've planned.. *chuckles evilly*

- - - - - -

"And so, good people of Indonesia, of India, ever since you were incorporated into this Confederation, you have not enjoyed the same status as the rest of us! You have not voted, nor have you enjoyed full citizenship! This changes.. today!"

The radio blared, and the woman turned it up. "Listen to this!", she cried.

"As of 9:00 this morning, every man, every woman, and every child of the Indonesian and Indian territories are granted full sufferage! You are equal to Australians and New Zealanders, whether it be in voting, or in policing, all that the rest of us have enjoyed will be now be enjoyed by you! The bill has been passed, and you are citizens!"

The news was met with ecstasy. Australia and New Zealand were still models of standards-of-living, far outstripping their European counterparts. And now, the Confederation had grown to encompass them! India and Indonesia had never fought against occupation - Princes and Dutch overlords were little different from Australasian ones, and the humiliation they suffered was, as well, much the same.

But now... now, they were citizens! Her son rushed down, brandishing an ancient rifle. She screamed. "Put that dem thing away, boy! What you doing with that?"

"I.. I will fight! I have lived under princes, mother, and under lords. But I am free! I can be part of the great Confederation Army! I will send money home, and we will live well!"

"No, boy, don't! It's just.. they're just makin' you a citizen so you'll fight for them, work for them, don't you see?"

"Fight for who? The other citizens. No, we are all citizens! All of us! I will fight!"

A brief conversation, and he was gone. Gone, to fight for empire and glory. If you cannot trick people into giving you what you want, give them something in return - and all will benefit. At least.. Durant assumed as much. While elections were suspended, the power of the Indian and Indonesian voting blocs counted for nothing. And, after all.. he could always remove the rights afterwards, couldn't he?

- - - -

Cores gained in India and Indonesia. Makes me more 'Australasian', really. And with that done, I should be able to have a fighting chance against Germany..

Lordling said:
While elections were suspended, the power of the Indian and Indonesian voting blocs counted for nothing. And, after all.. he could always remove the rights afterwards, couldn't he?
Cores gained in India and Indonesia. Makes me more 'Australasian', really. And with that done, I should be able to have a fighting chance against Germany..
IMHO even without elections Asians will eventually come to dominate Australasia now. With weight of population and no official discrimination the unofficial one will only delay the inevitale (probably until after gametime expires though :cool: ).

CTDs: They cause time travel. Because I can't think up a better plot device to explain them. Besides, if I ever suffer another one, I have precedence to do the same thing!

And.. yeah. I've wanted the Australasian Confederation to encompass more Australasia, and less Australia + New Zealand in terms of nationality. It won't go beyond Australasia, of course (no nats in the US or in France, obviously), but it also gives me a fighting chance in terms of manpower v Germany. The problem is that my airforce, although GOOD (with almost all of my wings having between 80-100 experience) , isn't really a match for 3-1 odds on the ground, and 2-1 at sea. By giving France to the French, (admittedly, I WILL edit the save file to move their capital so they can deploy troops in continental France), I can let them build up a force of decent size, to fend off the Germans.

To beat the Germans, I need, firstly, a lot of infantry and militia from other nations. Spain, California.. enough to man the frontlines with Germany without being slaughtered. Secondly, due to my low, low manpower, I'll be disbanding infantry and primarily building mot and armour divisions (I have enough oil, I think :D), using the advantage in mobility to encircle the Germans where I can. Admittedly, if I have the time, I should be able to set up a defensive line of sorts, primarily in Brittany (by the time war comes around, I should have enough power to hold Brittany, fortify it, and use it to prevent the Germans advancing to Spain.

Of course, if I'm slaughtered out-of-hand by circumstances beyond my control (A DoW now, while all my forces are spread out and preparing to invade Britain, for instance), then forced back to Spain, I should be able to grab Germany's Pacific holdings, and smash their navy, and, from there, hopefully crush them one nation at a time. (Starting with the Baltics)

Oh, and there's a bit of bad news, as well. Apparently, since I now border them, the Germans felt a bit worried about my airforce. They now have 40 wings to my 36. Owch. A lot of those are navbombers, however, so I should still have air superiority over land, if nothing else.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"And there, Marshal. That is the extent of the land we are willing to give you at the present time."

"I see. Could you be, perhaps, persuaded to give up some of coastal Brittany?"

"No. Brittany and its surroundings must remain Australasian, so that we can effectively co-ordinate the construction of a defensive line. If Germany declares war, it is vital that we keep the Brittany ports and airfields, so that we can keep them from conducting a naval invasion of Spain. The industries there are minor, in any case. It will be your duty, Marshal Petain, to use the rest of France to build up an effective defense along the rest of the border, should you wish to keep your homeland."

"...Ah. I see."

Durant smiled brightly at him. "Nevertheless, I would not fear, my good Marshal. Once we take Britain, I will cede the rest of these lands to you, so that you may rebuild France in truth. And, of course, we may begin negotiations with Germany for the return of Paris, and other surrounding provinces, should they be willing.."

Map1.png

National France, and the Brittany Occupied Zone.

For now, though, he was unconcerned with Petain. The British had taken much of Africa, and his blockade of them was not doing as much as expected. If they couldn't boot the British out of Africa, they couldn't spare the troops for a full-scale invasion of Britain itself..

A quiet little room in Vichy, in a quiet little villa. Durant sat down, and relaxed into the soft armchair. It was awhile since he'd had such good news to report. A knock at the door sounded.

"Come in, come in!"

At the sound of his voice, two men entered. John Lerew, and Ragnar Colvin. His Chief of the Air Force, and Chief of the Navy, respectively. He smiled. "Well, you gentlemen have a lot to answer for, it appears."

"Sir?", asked Colvin.

"For this report."

Durant threw down a piece of paper onto the table, and the two men looked at it nervously.

Map1-1.png

As they looked, their faces changed from nervousness to confusion. "But.. sir? I don't quite understand."

"You probably wouldn't. For some reason, this report got to me first. You can thank Mr. Bingham-White for this report, of course. Let me explain. You two recently co-ordinated an attack, is it true?"

"Yessir.", Colvin answered

"Kindly explain the details to me of this attack."

"Well, given aerial recon photos, we managed to locate the British Fleet. I spoke to Lerew about it, and, considering the new Bell-39 Aircobra planes we've recently got, we were now within range of the British Fleet with our airforce. Of course, any attack there with planes might result, at best, the sinking of a single carrier, before the British withdrew further to the north. So I suggested to Lerew that we put a blockade in place, to prevent them from leaving."

"A blockade?"

Lerew spoke up, eager to show his part in this. "Yessir. Colvin here put virtually the entire navy - including the Portuguese destroyers and French cruisers up, to stop any escape from Sheffield. With this blockade in place, however, it seemed likely that British aircraft would obliterate our own navy. So I got all of the aircraft we could muster, all of the fighters, primarily our own Hurricanes, and gave our ships an aerial screen."

"And then?"

"Well, sir, we launched an attack on the British navy in port. With our vast airforce, we were able to destroy.. well, you saw the report sir. Four carriers, nine battleships, a number of other cruisers.. the remainder of the British Navy since the Battle of Helgoland that saw four German battleships sunk in return for a large portion of the British fleet."

"So you're saying this report is probably accurate."

"Sir.. I'd say so, yes. The British might have one more cruiser, or destroyer, at best. The British Navy is gone."

Durant broke into a grin. "You two are brilliant! Brilliant, I must say. I think we should toast this memorable occasion - I have some excellent French champagne that the Syndicalists didn't get to here. Pull up a seat, gentlemen, and have a few glasses with me. Because of you two.. we'll be doing the same in London within a few months."

He poured out a few glasses of champagne into the tall, fluted glasses that sat on the table. When the time came, could they replicate that success against the German Navy.. that was the question.