• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

azedalis

Major
148 Badges
Aug 24, 2005
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Galactic Assault
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
Loydd Cranston III sits in his chair aboard the Cumbrain, being a wealthy Englishman wanting adventure, he decided to try his hand in shipping. The world seems to tolerate private companies right now so he invested his money into 3 Ships. This fine Galleon and 2 Brigs.
He hired a chap named Jonathan Farr as Captain of this fine ship and Commander of his Convoy. This young captain was a english line officer who decided the Royal Navy was a little too confining for his taste, Not being great at military stategy, he was not getting far, but Loydd like his ability to spot the best deals in port, with experience he could make a great leader and that was what Loydd planned to give him.
Commanding the two brigs, the Asia and the Zealous, a captain named Denham Worth. He was a first mate aboard a few ships under questionable captains, but he learned the ways around the cargo hold of ships, learning how to stow cargo in every nock and cranny. With these traits Loydd thought that the captains could help each other out.
As the days of preparation for the first voyage of his crews grew near he seemed to write more in his journal.

January 1630, The ships are almost fully loaded with trade goods and all the ships are almost ready to sail. The hope for quick profit and adventurer is getting me excited about departing. My Fiancee has already started to shop in the finer stores, which means I better learn how to be able to provide her with what she desires.
Yesterday a youngman came aboard and offered his services to me. He has been watching the ships load and he says he can help us out. He says he was an apretentice to several highly skilled Navigators and could speed our travels by using his knowledge and equipment. He offered free service if he couldn't speed up the voyage. With that in mind, I hired him since both the captains were not as skilled as I would have liked. But I cant afford more skilled captains right now.

The next day the ships left toward Africa, to Jadida, looking to make a few quick sales.

((OOC - Hired a navigator for the galleon since its speed is 8 and the brigs are 10 - figured 9.6 will be really close to 10 matching the fleets speed. Question. If I hire a navigator and have a captain with the same skill what happens? Does only 1 work so a sloop with speed of 16 * 1.2 = 19.2 or do they add 16* 1.4 = 22.4 or do they multiply 16*1.2*1.2= 23.04? then you can get faster with crew skill?))

March 1630 This short cruise to Jadida was refreshing, We managed to get here with no problems. We did not get as much from the cargo as I hoped, we even had to keep some of the cargo on board since we would have lost money to sell it. A dutch noble was looking for a company to ships some precious stones from the Canary Islands to Kopenhagen. The reward is next to nothing but the quanity of stones wanted might make the trip worthwhile. I am on new teritory here and want to keep as many nations happy with me. Also I dont want to go too far from home yet, not until I can be a little more confident that I will not be attacked, or atleast this convoy can protect itself better. So off to the Canaries.

((OOC- Profit is down from my other game, plus the fact that i can't choose difficulty will make privateer alot harder then the normal game. The mission reward is less then 2000 pounds, give me a break...not worth doing really...could make more money selling between Jadida and Lisbon most likely, but trying to play the gasme ICly correct. So far the rewards I seen are junk compared to the large loads needed and distance needed to go for the quests. It loooks like it will be hard to make enough money in the game, but we will see.))

April 1630 Had to much on board when I came into port to buy he complete load for the stupid quest. So I bought what I could with my haggler...then I sold off some Iron wares at a loss no less so I could buy enough to satisfy this simple request. Then It said that Icouldnt buy the rest of the stupid gems without it being considered smuggling even though it would have allowed me to if I bought them all at the same time.. Then I tried to smuggle them and got caught and couldnt pay the 10k to get my ships out of port....this is so stupid...Its a dutch contract in dutch port to goto a dutch port and thats smuggling??? This game stinks....end of AAR for now. I think this could be a good game...but you cant tell prices for everything sold in a port ect...plus things like the slide should indicate you can buy all if you dont have the money...it should only indicate the max you can buy that way you got an idea how many you can buy. Got to have some more information about the game before we play...about whats different in this game compared to EIC. Yes you are a privateer, but if stupid things like this is going to happen and you cant make much profit because you have no trading post etc....this game got to have some changes....I want to play this game without cheating, but have fun doing it. I could reload before each vyage and prepare for the voyage by seeing what happens and replaying each voyage until the outcome becomes what I want...but give me a break here. Its hard enough to play with the disadvantages you have in this game, but to complicate this so much more is another thing. quest have to make up for things like no treading post and such...20% bonus to all sales in your home port makes almost anything you bring there a profit...here it is questionable....I could buy Iron wares in the last game and they would sell in almost any no major portfor atleast a little profit...not here...
I would question if I could even make much profit in this game...You might think MTIs might be the way to go...but then you must consider pirates this early in the game and that is a gamble. I got the game save in march heading toward the canaries....but this is really a bad experience first time out.

Last edited:
This is too bad. I was surprised to see you started one with Privateer and was looking forward to your excellent play. Oh well. :eek:

In privateer a lot depends on getting a good start. You start with two fleets. One with a single warship, Galleon or Frigate. The other with a couple trade ships, Brigs or Indiamen. The trick seems to be getting a good captain for the warship.

Don't attack anything that out-matches you until upgrade the warship captain.

The last time I got off to such a good start by poaching ships from the various companies that I ran out of room to start new fleets by 1703.

I think the time span of 20 years is too short. Especially if you take on some of the Blockade missions to improve your standing with the various companies.

Greg.