Patch 1.2.5 Released [checksum 328a] (NOT for problem reports)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was hoping to some sort of AI fix in relation to Space Port mods being replaced by the AI even when the Sector Redevelopment is
turned off. I am getting frustrated with having my crew quarters, fleet academies, engineering bays, etc. replaced with hydroponics
and observatories in the middle of trying to deal with Crises (Prethoryn, etc.) It is hard enough to replace lost ships even with assembly
yards, only to have wasted resources when they are replaced by the AI in sectors. I have enjoyed every other aspect of the game so
far, but this issue is beginning to overwhelm my enjoyment.

Reactions:
Did this fix multiplayer issues btw Mac and PC? I don't see anything in the notes about it but it's been 2 weeks
No, that was fixed in the previous patch 1.2.4 . As far as I know it's still fixed.

Reactions:
Do you know the research points get saved while establishing comms? Any project that still takes longer than 12 months should not suffer from a six months special project.
I didn't know that, and I'm not sure where it says so?

But even if it does that's still a problem in the early game. The problem is that establishing communications is using your Sociology researcher - the same guy that will (most likely) be trying at that exact time to research the tech to allow you colony ships. In a decent sized galaxy you will get so many contacts to research, that you will never get to use that stored research in between each new special project - pushing colony ships into the far future.

Wiz kindly chimed in on Reddit about the confusion many of us have had about special projects and research point storage. I asked if things were working correctly and as intended now, where time based special projects mean you don't save any research points. His reply was:

Yes, it's intentional. We will have to look into some rebalancing though, for one I don't think projects that require science ships should pause research.

So there are no longer any special project/research point bugs present, but they will look at changing things a bit so projects using science ships (debris, anomalies, etc) won't stop ongoing research any more. Further discussion in that thread, he said these sort of balance changes are planned for Heinlein.

Reactions:
That issue was caused by the fact that the Mac version of 1.2.3 needed an immediate update to stop a CTD. That meant that the Mac and PC versions were different, so couldn't play together. As long as the Mac and PC versions are the same they should play together. Mac and PC have been on the same page since 1.2.4.

Wiz kindly chimed in on Reddit about the confusion many of us have had about special projects and research point storage. I asked if things were working correctly and as intended now, where time based special projects mean you don't save any research points. His reply was:

So there are no longer any special project/research point bugs present, but they will look at changing things a bit so projects using science ships (debris, anomalies, etc) won't stop ongoing research any more. Further discussion in that thread, he said these sort of balance changes are planned for Heinlein.

Thinking about it, I'd like to see them split the difference. Science ships are the only ships in the game that require a leader to do most of their stuff. What if a science ship without a leader could still do that stuff, but would sidetrack a research scientist--the way it works now? Then, specifically assigning a leader to a science ship would take that burden off the research scientist, placing it on the ship-assigned leader.

Reactions:
And suddenly, research projects in the early game become a fundamentally bad idea.

You can literally set your empire back decades by delaying important early game research that would allow you to multiply your research.

In other words, this "feature" is designed to be counter intuitive and a penalty to newbies that have not learned the min-max.

The smart moves now are to NEVER research alien contacts or life forms.

Worse, in MP games the human players have a disincentive to contact each other, which means less diplomacy.

Reactions:
The real reason they need to fix the research with science projects - at minimum, find a way to store it - or do SOMETHING else with the points - is that with the current system, it provides the incentive/need for players to micromanage every single planet which produces that specific science yield, and get them putting those tiles on something else.
That is not a fun system, and it's a frustrating one.

At least, let's try something, if we can't store the points generated during these 'time-based projects', convert every research point that is wasted in such a project to another yield. Energy maybe.

That, or let's just get rid of our time based projects altogether, and convert them to science point projects (E.G. to contact a civ? That'll be 100 social points, thanks).

It reminds me of needing to manually adjust tiles when building settlers in Civ 5 so you are getting production optimally and not wasting the food yield that isn't (all) going to be converted. That's not an ideal thing either, but you can get away with it because it's in one city only at a time. Time based special projects are an empire wide waste of yields that is going to frustrate the player.

Reactions:
Worse, in MP games the human players have a disincentive to contact each other, which means less diplomacy.

Seriously, you've played this game - what makes you think PI wants this to be anything other than a map painting simulator? The diplomacy options are anemic, the only practicable victory condition is conquest. Sectors, alliances, federations - all this is artificial difficulty put in the way of you conquering, not content meant to have depth. It's not cost-effective to make a deep game from a business standpoint. That's the game. The stuff that they talked about leading up to the release with regard to a deep diplomacy and so on? Smoke and mirrors to get those pre-orders and purchases.

Reactions:
This is a small hotfix to address some common issues.

Please report any problems in the bug report forum

Click details below to see the changes included.

Changelog
##############################################################
####################### VERSION 1.2.5 ########################
##############################################################

###################
# AI
###################
* Fixed another case of wars at 100% warscore not being ended by the AI
* Fixed another case of AI open/close borders spam
* Fixed an issue where sector AI would build research of only one type due to a math error.
* Fixed AI inviting players to wars they should have no interest in.
* AI will no longer prioritize working food tiles on planets with only robots.

###################
# Features
###################
* Added 2 more plantoid namelists.

###################
# Bugfixes
###################
* Fixed bug where multiple special projects were being researched at the same time.
* Special projects with time cost no longer use stored resources.
* Fixed a couple of CTDs.

I really want to report a bug but the website forbids access to the correct page for me. Does anyone know how i can gain access? I still get stuck in wars.

Overall, I like the hotfix but per:
this does create some weird incentives that don't make sense.
Maybe costing a certain number of research points to study a special project makes sensr, but the whole scientist? Afteral, they just oversee research, they don't do it all personally.

This is a small hotfix to address some common issues.

* Fixed another case of wars at 100% warscore not being ended by the AI
I'm especially concerned about this "fix". Before this patch, I never had this problem occur, ever, but now I'm getting it often. As a matter of fact, I was playing a game last night where two AI's did it to me at the same time, so I have two wars at 100% and they aren't ending. Heck, one of the AI's started their war against me, demanding I cede all my planets, and this AI only has one planet and no fleet. I only needed to invade their one single planet to get 100% warscore. Still, the war won't end.

Do devs want savegame submissions so they can see these sorts of bugs we're encountering?

I'm especially concerned about this "fix". Before this patch, I never had this problem occur, ever, but now I'm getting it often. As a matter of fact, I was playing a game last night where two AI's did it to me at the same time, so I have two wars at 100% and they aren't ending. Heck, one of the AI's started their war against me, demanding I cede all my planets, and this AI only has one planet and no fleet. I only needed to invade their one single planet to get 100% warscore. Still, the war won't end.

Do devs want savegame submissions so they can see these sorts of bugs we're encountering?

Yes, please post bug reports and we'll look into it ASAP.

Sorry for asking, but... is there will be any beta-patch for ai-sector slavery?
It is really annoying, and if the full patch will be only in october...
As collectivist i just cant play now. I have slaves, with other ethics. Until they are enslaved - they work fine. On farms and mines. Then - i turn planet into sector, ai give them free and... hapinnes fall to 0%, they didnt working, join in factions, that cause problems and i lose resources. It even cant fixed by mods, because "enslave them all" can only enslave all pops on planet, or free them. If planet is mixed with free pop and slaves - it cant help.

Please just give option "dont touch slavery settings", is it really so hard? then why need do this in previous version?

AI sector enslave - re-enslave every 3-4 days creating massive unrest if pop without collectivist ethos. It will enslave pops on farms then planet already 10+ in food production. This switching slavery on/off definitely a bug. You can partly avoid this if planet got only collectivist pops on farms and mineral production as power stations and labs will be left alone by sector AI.