• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
logo.jpg

A Summer's Night

August 22, 1969, Frankfurt am Main, Federal Republic of Germany

Madison hadn't been to Germany in ten years. He refused to head north - the memories throughout the north, where 8th Infantry pushed through, were too vivid for him to deal with alone. Instead, he was in Frankfurt, pursuing the journal of one of Hitler's bodyguards. While Untersturmführer Alfons Schmidt was nominally a Waffen SS member, in reality he was a charismatic Wehrmacht Feldwebel who excelled in his skills. Rather than being deployed, the educated young man from Bonn was granted the plum job of one of Hitler's personal bodyguards.

After almost a month of painstaking research, Madison had found the journal. It was rare for many of the enlisted, deployed troops to keep a journal, however, the well-off conditions of Schmidt's job, combined with the charismatic nature of Hitler and his questions about family, friends and plans for the future, meant that the journal was still alive and well. It had been found by Soviet troops in the Führerbunker following the fall of Berlin, but had somehow managed to survive both the destruction of Berlin, the death of its owner and the return of war to Europe.

Madison flipped to a random page, early on.

August 22, 1938. Wolfschanze, East Prussia.

The Führer continues his pro-Sudeten rhetoric. His ideas for Germanic unity, while compelling, only seem to lead to one place: war with the British. Last time that happened, death was the result, for our pride, for our nation.

However, today, the Führer met with General von Manstein, Walther Funk and Reichsführer-SS Himmler, and discussed something at great length in Hitler's private quarters. As they left, Himmler mentioned Austria....and something about a new facility. What it is, I don't know.

I'm hoping to see Marlene again tomorrow, the won...

The rest all seemed like nothing compared to what was mentioned in those early paragraphs. Madison immediately noted: Austrian facility??

Well if nothing else Madison is getting a good tour of Europe out of his research, and under considerably better conditions than his first trip.

While my first guess was that the Austrian Facility was part of the nuclear programme, I wonder if it's something else. There are a few loose threads I can't tie into that story, though perhaps that's because there isn't just one event but two (or more).

Either way I'm looking forward to finding out. :)

Are we sure that the facility is in Austria?

What a wonderful AAR! Having found this gem I'll be reading.

El Pip - There are yet more loose ends, don't you worry.

Kurt_Steiner - Are we sure what the facility even is yet? There are endless possibilities for it, from scientific to the paranormal to....who knows?

EDIT: I just noticed, too. Happy birthday Kurt!

Le Jones - Thanks. Although I doubt Lord Halifax will make an appearance. :p

Last edited:
logo.jpg

Fresh Mail

October 4, 1969, Norfolk, Virginia

Madison's European trip had given him new depth on the puzzle - Cowell's notes, as well as the diary, had hinted at the future. His return to Norfolk was pleasing, for no matter what research breakthroughs he made, there was still no place like home.

Entering the house, Madison found yet another unmarked document envelope. This one, however, was a declassified one, although probably not easily accessible as it still belonged to the US Navy.

WarPlanGold-Japan.jpg

War Plan Gold

Planning for a war against opponent "Gold" base around two key principles:

1) Such a war will be primarily a naval and air war; while the army will be required, it will not be to the same extent as a war against opponents such as Black or Red.
2) A war involving Gold could present a threat to friendly nations.

Thus, planning for Gold requires:
1) The continued presence of US forces on Luzon, Guam and Wake Is. to be boosted to include further air units as well as further ground forces to guarantee our control.

From Luzon, Guam and Wake, further attacks are to be made, as following:

Luzon -> Okinawa.
Guam -> Saipan -> Iwo Jima
Wake Is. -> Marcus Is.

With these 4 islands seized, it will allow mass bombing of Gold's industrial facilities, as well as allow for a naval blockade of Gold.

Furthermore, Gold's possessions on the mainland will be able to be attacked and seized from Okinawa.

If further naval or air bases are required, they are able to be seized from any optional Gold base throughout the Marinaras, as well as possibly Formosa.

War Plan Gold? Why was the plan for war against the Japanese, this being the 1940 version, being sent to Madison? The Austrian Facility surely had to be in Austria, not in some far-flung Japanese-controlled area?

Last edited:
You do have to admire the rampant optimism of War Plan Gold, charging forward with scarcely a thought for the opposing forces.

It appears the evidence is mounting that the Austrian Facility isn't in Austria or about nuclear weapons (I can't see such work being shared with Japan, could be wrong though). At this stage you have to wonder if it's even a facility at all. ;)

Indeed, plan Gold isn't worth its weight in gold, so to speak...

Kurt_Steiner - Are we sure what the facility even is yet? There are endless possibilities for it, from scientific to the paranormal to....who knows?

EDIT: I just noticed, too. Happy birthday Kurt![/QUOTE]

A pizza factory? Peti will be delighted!

Thank you!

Le Jones - Thanks. Although I doubt Lord Halifax will make an appearance. :p

I can see good old Trekkie and good old El Pip dying of pleasure at that.

'Plan Gold' - I presume this doesn't factor in a surprise attack on US Naval Bases! Another good update.

El Pip - I could spoil it for you, but then, why would you be reading?

Kurt_Steiner - Mmm.....pizza. I've based Gold slightly off of War Plan Orange, which was the IRL plan created by the United States for dealing with a war against Japan.

Le Jones - Well, Hali could theoretically pop up - hell, he is in Washington after a while.

logo.jpg

Arranging the Deckchairs

February 12, 1970, Library of Congress, Washington D.C., United States

The papers continued to damn the war. It seemed that President Kennedy was now bound to his fight, despite the Viets becoming more fearsome by the week. Other articles spoke of further issues in Europe, with the media paranoid about France falling into collapse and civil war again. While Madison doubted the latter, the former still concerned him. Vietnam was no place for the US to be bogged down, what with the Chinese threat.

The 1939 cabinet papers spoke of the fear of war. Roosevelt demanded that industrial production be would down and military production expanded. Research continued into various military projects. The expansion of the intelligence networks was also well on its way, and the government ordered an attempt on Soviet Foreign Minister Vyacheslav Molotov, which ended in failure and the execution of an American spy.

However, there were multiple files marked as removed. Immigration policy. German-American relations. Known trade between Japan and Germany. French force capabilities in Indochina. Government responses to international crises - particularly the seizure of Czechoslovakia and the invasion of Albania.

There was also an attached sheet of paper.

September 6, 1939

So today it begins. We've watched as the British and the French have tried to feed the German eagle, only for it to want more.
Now, we have to see the Reich's next move. They want total war, and if they come up against us, they'll get it.
Here's hoping that our plans are strong enough to beat theirs.

~~F.

Madison took the handwritten note up to the desk.
"It was Ms. Bieber, wasn't it?"
"Yes. What can I do for you, Mr. Madison?"
"Do you have any handwritten excerpts of Franklin Roosevelt in the archives? Easily accessable ones?"
"Yes...hold on a moment."
Ms. Bieber went to retrieve the document. Madison waited patiently. Looking around, he noticed people studying, reading the newspaper.

"Do we take him now?"
"Not yet. They're crafty bastards, remember? If we take him too early, they'll do what they did to Cowell."

Mmmh, a conspiracy within the investigacion. Perhaps FDR was eager to get a war and somebody doesn't want that to be known...

BTW. JFK in 1970? Mmmmh. I would have guessed he won't be able to remain in the White House beyond 1969, had he survived and own the elections, of course.

Kurt_Steiner - Mmm.....pizza. I've based Gold slightly off of War Plan Orange, which was the IRL plan created by the United States for dealing with a war against Japan.

I know about it. I translated once a book which dealt a bit about the Pacific War and mentioned the plan. As Le Jones has stated, I thought then "well, a pity that the Japaneses did kept moving..." :D

BTW. JFK in 1970? Mmmmh. I would have guessed he won't be able to remain in the White House beyond 1969, had he survived and own the elections, of course.

I said Kennedy, not JFK. :D

EDIT: I've realised, I did actually "hint" at who the current President was. More of the post-war history of the world is going to be revealed...eventually.

Last edited:
logo.jpg

The Iceberg

March 3, 1970, National War College, Washington D.C., United States

"So, today, the first of a two-part lecture on the opening moves of World War II. The next lecture will cover the invasion of Poland and the Phoney War until May 1940; but that's the next one," Madison began.

"Germany by 1939 was a dangerous beast. Extremely authoritarian, armed to the teeth, ambitious and reckless. The eagle had consumed Austria and Czechoslovakia within the last two years, had gone from hyperinflated nothingness to world power in the last six. The nations of central and western Europe were fearful, and rightfully so."

"Hitler had been tilting towards Poland since he'd entered power. Danzig was considered to be an embarassment to the Reich, the ultimate loss from Versailles. Hitler wanted it, and wanted the Polish state eradicated."

"His manoeuvers were not subtle. Immediately after the end of Czechoslovakia, Hitler immediately made demands for the city. This resulted in the Franco-British guarantee: the West would go to war for Poland."

"Consider Europe in 1939. The Belgians and Dutch would have none of it. The Spanish were still rebuilding - although what they'd been rebuilding would be a nasty shock for the Allies later. The Italians were not willing to risk Libya. Hungary, while having profited from the Czech destruction, was not in the greatest position to assist. Romania and Bulgaria had their own problems. The only way Germany could be threatened was through a combined Allied-Comintern pact."

"Stalin, for one, did not trust the bourgeoise pigs in London. For two, the West seriously doubted the Red Army - the Reds were still armed with the equipment they'd fought with in the Great War, and despite Tukhachevsky's armored theories, there was still great distrust of the Communist motivations."

"Enter Hitler. The proposition of the spheres of influence in Europe, combined with the willingness to return to the Soviets the remaining lands of the Russian Empire east of the Bug, was an extremely tempting one for Stalin. Both knew that their clash would come - but it would not be on this day. The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was signed on August 22. Poland's fate was sealed."

"I won't deal with questions today; they'll all be answered following the second half of this lecture tomorrow."

war.jpg

Next Update: Act 2, The Darkness Descends!

Ahh much plot. Looking forward to Part II of the lecture, I expect a few changes to materialise there.

The French civil war (again) was a particularly good tease, for both timelines.

El Pip - I'm leaning more and more towards posting a postwar view of the world similar to what Nathan Maiden and/or Kanilatan have done. While it won't be as different, the powers will be...and the main threats to the world.

Update on the way!

logo.jpg

Fall Weiss

March 10, 1970, National War College, Washington D.C., United States

"Blitzkrieg. The term refers to the German tactics during World War II, the combination of air power and armored breakthroughs to wreak confusion and discord among opposing sources."

"The tactic itself did not totally belong to the Germans - British and Soviet sources came up with the original ideas, and a certain French colonel by the name of Charles de Gaulle had been lobbying the French to move down that path. Alas, it was only the Germans who did."

"The German assault on Poland was ruthless in its efficiency."

polandsep1.jpg

Germany, Poland and the USSR - September 1

polsep11.jpg

Germany, Poland and the USSR - September 11

"As you can see by these two maps, German forces quickly broke through the initial Polish defensive lines. The border with the main areas of Germany was shattered, and Polish forces were flung into full retreat. The remaining reserves were drawn from Poland's eastern borders and flung onto the Vistula, hoping to hold German forces on the outskirts of Warsaw."

"The Soviet offensive changed that."

"The Soviets waited until the Polish forces were truly broken, then attacked. They managed to reach Zamosc across the Vistula, encountering minimal resistance."

polandsep21.jpg

Germany, Poland and the USSR - September 21

"This combined offensive obliterated any Polish forces left in the open field. A few managed to retreat to the Romanian bridgehead and escape, eventually reaching the Allies, but most were trapped in Warsaw, destined for a desperate defence."

polandoct1.jpg

Germany, Poland and the USSR - October 1

"The first battle of Warsaw was one of the most brutal of the war. Over 40% of the structures in the city were annihilated by the combination of heavy artillery and air bombardment unleashed by the Wehrmacht. The Poles, however, held fast, and managed to hold onto the city until October 8."

"The actions of the West, on the other hand, were seen by the Poles as a betrayal. France, despite having an army as strong as the Germans, refused to engage. The British, too, refused, instead staying back in the relative comfort of London. Indeed, the only action seen by the Western Allies was that of the airforces - Allied and German fighters engaging each other over the Siegfried and Maginot Lines, a sign of what was to happen over the Channel in 1940."

"Germany had control of all of her European lands before the Great War minus two areas - southern Denmark and Alsace-Lorraine. The eagle had landed its eastwards blow - and would turn West."

"Meanwhile, Britain fumbled over who would lead the war effort and the Third Republic fell into collapse."

Applause smattered the room.

"Questions?"

"Sir, Maginot was there to hold the Germans. Why advance from it?" began an Army major.

"The Wehrmacht had approximately 60,000 men manning the Siegfried line. The French had triple that on Maginot. Even with the better Wehrmacht training, something has to be said for firepower."

"Surely, though, the Allies were not truly ready for war?" returned a USMC lieutenant.

"Neither were the Germans. Postwar documents from the Kriegsmarine indicate that Raeder was promised that war would not begin until 1945, at the earliest."

"Surely though, by 1945 the Allies would have caught up?"

"I believe that Hitler did not expect war over Poland. Why should Frenchmen - or Englishmen - die for Warsaw, for Danzig? In the end, only Allied pilots did for the period until May 1940 - but the declaration would in fact prove to be the Allies' folly."

I fear the storm is about to really break...