• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nielsen

Sergeant
Nov 22, 2017
Your platform:
PS4

When you first noticed the problem:
In Version 10.01 (for reference I've played the game since version 2.00)

Any error codes or messages that appears:
No

Steps to reproduce the issue:
Observe any crowded public transport line stop where the stopping vehicles/carriers don't have room for everyone waiting at the stop. Notice how some citizens gather in clusters at the stop without boarding any of the public transport vehicles repeatedly arriving to collect passengers. These clusters of waiting passengers constantly remain last in queue, so to speak. As a result some citizens are stranded at various public transport stops throughout the city until they eventually leave on foot. Exception wise, everyone do board whenever a vehicle has room enough for everyone waiting at a stop, which however is rare on the most crowded transport lines. All public transport types seem to be affected, but the issue is perhaps most noticeable at crowded metro line stops.

It basically looks like queue issue where some citizens are stuck last in line while others constantly arrive to be first in line, depending on where they are positioned at stops / boarding platforms. Highlighting individual citizens with the magnifying glass on lines where all vehicles are used to full capacity is a good way to test the issue, because it will reveal how some of the citizens don't board vehicles despite having waited longer than others.

This appears to be a rather serious issue - as it considerably increases the time it takes for some citizens to arrive at their destinations. Please note that the nature of this issue is different to bottlenecks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the cims at the stops or stations are just for visuals because if you notice, the volume of those waiting does not match the actual ridership numbers when you look it up on the info panel. The game is kind of deceitful I must say.

I think the cims at the stops or stations are just for visuals because if you notice, the volume of those waiting does not match the actual ridership numbers when you look it up on the info panel. The game is kind of deceitful I must say.

One of the primary visions behind Cities Skylines is that everything you see moving has an actual purpose. The developers didn't want to crowd the cities with fake visual agents. If numbers don't match, then it must be something else causing it.

And to elaborate, those clusters of passengers that don't board the public transport vehicles all have a destination if you click on them with the magnifying glass. Also, you can see how the frozen passenger clusters gradually grow in volume because new ones join all the time. And like I said, everyone waiting in these clusters will only board when a vehicle has capacity for everyone waiting at the stop, which however is very rare on the busiest lines. Increasing line funding with more vehicles is not a solution, because this will increase passenger numbers proportionately.

To me it looks like a bug where parts of the passenger boarding area at every public transport stop is always deprioritized as last in queue regardless of how long citizens have been waiting for a vehicle. So if citizens stand in one of those areas, they are likely going to stand there for a much longer duration than everyone else standing at the stop. I really cannot think of anything that explains it other than a bug or oversight in the functionality of passenger boarding.

Have you tried to “double the line” I had this problem of having huge crowds at bus stops so I built A line that followed the other line almost exactly but that bus that only stopped at the really busy stops and skipped a lot of the lower passenger ones. It cleared the crowds abit more, not an instant fix but got more people moving. The trade off is you get more traffic on the road though

Have you tried to “double the line” I had this problem of having huge crowds at bus stops so I built A line that followed the other line almost exactly but that bus that only stopped at the really busy stops and skipped a lot of the lower passenger ones. It cleared the crowds abit more, not an instant fix but got more people moving. The trade off is you get more traffic on the road though

The issue I've described here is different to bottlenecks. What I have identified looks more like a bug than a deliberate design choice to overcome.

The issue I've described here is different to bottlenecks. What I have identified looks more like a bug than a deliberate design choice to overcome.

sorry my mistake, must have misread your Post. I know that usually when you have a lot of people stacking up at a stop it’s sometimes just down to the capacity of the transport not being enough and extra options needed to clear it. Although a little while ago a guy on here discovered a weird quirk in which Cims seem to always pick the slowest/lowest capacity transport systems. they tested a few methods side by side and Cims always piled into the slower options. Believe they tested monorail, metro and blimp in the test.

I think the cims at the stops or stations are just for visuals because if you notice, the volume of those waiting does not match the actual ridership numbers when you look it up on the info panel.
Transit trips can take longer than an in-game week to finish, which is why weekly ridership numbers may seem low.

Not really sure if the cims were designed to be perfectly on point and balanced with destination/public transport use and stuff but I really haven't noticed any adverse issues in my later cities including the current one I'm building. It's earning boatloads of money, people magically fill and go to work by the thousands to my farm and ore with low car traffic in those areas(maybe they sleep in the barracks?)before setting a more robust metro/bus system. My pre-downtown areas and main commercial roads do also suffer from cims overflow at the stops but I do see them switching all the time. Bec of this, I've always thought of them as being "just there" for visuals purposes. I did try increasing the number of buses, metros, cabs and trains in my couple other cities but the ridership remained the same and cims still storming certain stops and stations. I don't have the mass transport stuff so I can't speak for the experience with the vehicle assets available thru that dlc. As for the chopper, I've only made one line ever in my older city just to kinda test it out, flying like half a mile back and forth and carrying like 8-10 people each way and the weekly ridership only shows like 7-13 users on average. Never got it above that nor its capacity of 20 despite the actual numbers being as aforementioned. That being the case on a micro level, something definitely doesn't add up with the game's ridership calculations. Or a bug indeed or maybe as I've always thought, they're just there for visuals(maybe).

Last edited: