• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was glossing over the extra special not "really very holy" aspect of also killing a family member in that wee spree ...

When you claim that you only whacked one family member, you may not be terribly innocent.

If someone is dumb enough to announce a revolt whilst leading one of your armies, killing them off is both patient and Holy - wholly justified. It just wouldn't do to have your army basted by boiling oil in a previously arranged ambush.Family members should know better than to try to kill each other off. Have they become ... insert your own family favourite for trying to kill each other ... or are they members of a Paragon of Virtue's family?

Wow, plot power of 1000%? Good lord! I don't know if I've ever seen that. He really must have majorly pissed of the spymaster. Perhaps he slept with his daughter, or his dog.

Nice AAR. Shows off some tricks I haven't seen yet.
How is that crusade for Malta going? Any chance of Parma going after that some time soon?

Murdering enemy nobles (and unruly family members!) is an Italian tradition! :D

Hey now, I only whacked one family member.

Maybe the devs need to add mechanics where you lose titles if you do certain things - lose too much piety, and you lose Holy, for example.

But we don't know that dead relative's life!!! Maybe he was the devil incarnate! The church knows this type of thing... they had a vision that if they hadn't died millions... no trillions would have perished (or so they will state, for a price). Truly are we not holier than even Holy by being willing to sacrifice one of our own clan for the greater good?!? THE GREATER GOOD!

Just found this and read through this evening - lovely stuff :)

This is great! Subscribed!

I was glossing over the extra special not "really very holy" aspect of also killing a family member in that wee spree ...

but yes some sort of trait loss would be neat, so if you get the title 'the fat' then a serious programme of wars in mountain provinces should slim you down

King Harold, The Biggest Loser?

If someone is dumb enough to announce a revolt whilst leading one of your armies, killing them off is both patient and Holy - wholly justified. It just wouldn't do to have your army basted by boiling oil in a previously arranged ambush.Family members should know better than to try to kill each other off. Have they become ... insert your own family favourite for trying to kill each other ... or are they members of a Paragon of Virtue's family?

You sound like a defense lawyer with that reasoning. "Your honor, he needed killing."

And in large dynasties, this "know better than try and kill each other" is a laugh.

But innocence and holiness are very different things, surely :)

True...

Wow, plot power of 1000%? Good lord! I don't know if I've ever seen that. He really must have majorly pissed of the spymaster. Perhaps he slept with his daughter, or his dog.

I think spymasters and cupbearers get 1000%.

Nice AAR. Shows off some tricks I haven't seen yet.
How is that crusade for Malta going? Any chance of Parma going after that some time soon?

I can't remember where the crusade is for, but I already own Malta.

Murdering enemy nobles (and unruly family members!) is an Italian tradition! :D

I believe so.

But we don't know that dead relative's life!!! Maybe he was the devil incarnate! The church knows this type of thing... they had a vision that if they hadn't died millions... no trillions would have perished (or so they will state, for a price). Truly are we not holier than even Holy by being willing to sacrifice one of our own clan for the greater good?!? THE GREATER GOOD!

He spelled Jakob with a k, so he must be evil. *nods sagely*

Just found this and read through this evening - lovely stuff :)

Thank you!

This is great! Subscribed!

Thank you!

Chapter 30 - All in the Familia

Oberto's travel plans are wasted in February 1152, because the Duke of Mecklenburg declared war. Party pooper. I think characters with the sin of Wroth should get an event where they go on a rampage after finding out that they traveled 500 miles for nothing.

30-Tourneycancelled.jpg

Gee, this feels familiar. Maybe someone should do an early Turkish style AAR, where every generation kills off all their brothers to prevent having pretenders. Luckily, he stops when told. Good boy.

30-Annibaleplot.jpg

Ooooh...I can has empire?

30-Voteforheir.jpg

Now that Oberto is holy, he doesn't need to be all virtuous and stuff.

30-LostHonesty.jpg

While the war against Mauretania (for Galicia) plods on (aren't sieges fun?), Duke Castore di Parma of Valencia decides to declare war on the newly crowned King of Aragon (was Duke of Anjou) over a single province (Valencia). At first, this appears to be insane - a 2-county duke taking on a King. But...he can call on every single ruling di Parma in my realm (about half my realm).

30-ValenciavsAragon.jpg

Mauretania surrenders Galicia to Oberto in November 1153. Bruto di Parma is given the duchy, cities, and baronies, while Oberto hands out the bishoprics for more free piety.

30-Galiciataken.jpg

Hey! Stop that! I keep forgetting to grab that last county in Sicily. Now I have to wait 5 years.

30-Benevento.jpg

Here's an updated shot of Iberia. Beja and Aragon obviously have Color Thief CBs on each other.

30-Iberia.jpg

Meanwhile, Hungary dissolves into a free-for-all civil war. What is worrying is that the Queen's heir is the Duke of Benevento...

30-HungaryCivilWar.jpg

Since I can't do much about Benevento right now, let's go chip away at Beja. The Emir may have a hard time getting his vassals to help, seeing as he's "the Bewitched" and a kinslayer (though he is just...)

30-Beja.jpg

That's quite the Italian Reconquista. I wonder how Aragon feels about you coming in and messing with Spanish territory.

That's quite the Italian Reconquista. I wonder how Aragon feels about you coming in and messing with Spanish territory.

Well, they're French (were the Dukes of Anjou), so they are part of the problem. :)

But innocence and holiness are very different things, surely :)

They are one and the same.

More great updates. Is Galicia a titular Kingdom or a fifth de jure Kingdom in Spain? Good luck with that when you get it, every Duke fancies himself a King. The -25 hit is not overwhelming, but some will desire two Kingdoms if you're not careful or unlucky. It should be fun, everybody and his brother is at least halfway to ambitious.

Last edited:
Well, I've finally caught up with this great story.

I've got to say, it's been a fun ride so far.

Congrats at the king title. Good luck trying to wrangle more than one crown at once though.

I'm excited to see where this goes. :D

More great updates. Is Galicia a titular Kingdom or a fifth de jure Kingdom in Spain? Good luck with that when you get it, every Duke fancies himself a King. The -25 hit is not overwhelming, but some will desire two Kingdoms if you're not careful or unlucky. It should be fun, everybody and his brother is at least halfway to ambitious.

I believe Galicia is Titular. As is Navarra. Can't be usurped. I found that out the hard way in my current game. Castille, Leon and Galicia were all under one king. So I usurp Castille, he becomes king of Leon (expected), now I usurp Leon, he becomes King of Galicia. GGRRAAAAARRRGGLLL! So much for easy vassilization offers! Looks like I will have to silently look the other way while the Musselmans take some more land.

Ah, Iberia! The early game stomping ground! I love it! nothing better than starting with a seaside western realm and being strong enough to go over there and take land back for Christianity! My preferred method is to wait for one war to be over where the Muslims claim land and then declare war to take it right back before they convert to Islam! It's like Christmas in July! All those provinces with no wait for claims to be fabricated, invited to court or born, more money in just 5 years and all those troops without the 'wrong religion' 20+ yr penalty! (I'm probably wrong about the year count, so don't quote me and expect to be right)

Some people do indeed need to be killed. Large dynasties soon beome far smaller if they indulge in wholesale assassination.It wouldappear that Oberto's family are one big bunch of inrates. Try to remember to take all of Sicily next time -first.

The Emir is just because he decapitates all his kin-members equally.

Hrm...that makes sense.

You seem rather biased. :)

[QUOTE/\]More great updates. Is Galicia a titular Kingdom or a fifth de jure Kingdom in Spain? Good luck with that when you get it, every Duke fancies himself a King. The -25 hit is not overwhelming, but some will desire two Kingdoms if you're not careful or unlucky. It should be fun, everybody and his brother is at least halfway to ambitious.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Yes, it's titular.

Well, I've finally caught up with this great story.

Thank you! As for being a multi-king, it's better to be envied than to not know the joy of trying to balance allthose crowns.

I believe Galicia is Titular. As is Navarra. Can't be usurped.

Yup. 5 years normally, 20 for wrong culture, 30 for wrong religion.

Some people do indeed need to be killed. Large dynasties soon beome far smaller if they indulge in wholesale assassination.It wouldappear that Oberto's family are one big bunch of inrates. Try to remember to take all of Sicily next time -first.

Some of my family are good folks. The bad ones have a habit of being the more visible.

Ah, Iberia! The early game stomping ground! I love it! nothing better than starting with a seaside western realm and being strong enough to go over there and take land back for Christianity! My preferred method is to wait for one war to be over where the Muslims claim land and then declare war to take it right back before they convert to Islam! It's like Christmas in July! All those provinces with no wait for claims to be fabricated, invited to court or born, more money in just 5 years and all those troops without the 'wrong religion' 20+ yr penalty! (I'm probably wrong about the year count, so don't quote me and expect to be right)

Quite so. I started a game as Urraca of Zamora* in my first game and had no idea Iberia would be such a fertile ground for conquest. Took me a bit to have her work her way up to the status of Queen, though .. Zamora isn't rich, and her brothers kept fighting each other and the muslims rather ineffectively. And by that time a lot of land had converted the wrong way. :(

By the way, is it just me or are muslim tech levels way higher than christian counties have?

*) That's an excellent character to put in an AAR, btw.. given the history of those kingdoms..