• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oberto II will obviously be admired twice as much by his vassals than Oberto I.
But Oberto wont care, as he had probably already forgotten having a father once....just like him.
Family tradition.

Hey now, this family is full of love and caring.

Well that was damn inconvenient of him.

Timing is great that way.

well if Oberto keeps to his father's traditions in things such as mourning lost relatives, he'll be off to war in the morning?

Why wait that long?

Great AAR, I'm really enjoying it.
It's really not an aphrodisiac at all :D power is just another currency.

Thank you!

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. But it rocks absolutely too.

What better way to honor your dead warmongering father than with more war?

Exactly!

It's what Oberto I would have wanted.

Yup...

Chapter 24 - The Epic Tale of King Oberto II

While you would expect that King Oberto II would be a quick war-monger, he was actually pretty patient. This move nets me the counties of Bari and Lecce.

24-Botolfjoins.jpg

Still, it's time for an epic war...

24-ObertoIIdies.jpg

That was fast. Barely a year...maybe it was the stress and smallpox that did him in?

24-ObertoIIFinal.jpg

When did they add the offer vassalization option and what are the requirements? It sounds pretty awesome (not as awesome as your AAR, but close ;))

When did they add the offer vassalization option and what are the requirements? It sounds pretty awesome (not as awesome as your AAR, but close ;))

Offer vassalition has been in since CK1. The requirements are that the person you are attempting to vassalize must:

A. Like you or at least not hate you too much
B. You need to be his de jure liege for it to work.
C. If you are a duke or king offering vassalition to a count or a duke, you'll get the "Small difference in Rank" malus, meaning they may not accept.
D. Finally, your power modifier. If you are the Holy Roman Emperor, most will agree to be your vassal. If you're the King of the Isles, most will laugh derisively in your face.

Last edited:
That was fast. Barely a year...maybe it was the stress and smallpox that did him in?

Considering how close the di Parma family is I think he simply never quite got over the passing of his much beloved father, the poor chap. Hopefully Oberto III can survive the great grief Oberto II's passing will doubtless cause him.

Oberto II is the William Henry Harrison of Parma.

That was a short reign. Death is what awaits the di Parma's who don't go to war straight away. Oberto III should take note.

Seconded! the di Parma ancestors are screaming for the netherworld.. More War or we kill you!

That was a short reign. Death is what awaits the di Parma's who don't go to war straight away. Oberto III should take note.

Also, he should sire a heir not named Oberto.

Offer vassalition has been in since CK1. The requirements are that the person you are attempting to vassalize must:

A. Like you or at least not hate you too much
B. You need to be his de jure liege for it to work.
C. If you are a duke or king offering vassalition to a count or a duke, you'll get the "Small difference in Rank" malus, meaning they may not accept.
D. Finally, your power modifier. If you are the Holy Roman Emperor, most will agree to be your vassal. If you're the King of the Isles, most will laugh derisively in your face.

Not quite true. There are two large modifiers: foreign culture and not my de jure liege. If both conditions are true, you'll pretty much never get it. If only one is true, you have a shot if you are 2 ranks over them. If neither are true, then they'll generally agree unless they really hate you. Finally, Kings never accept vassalization form Emperors.

Considering how close the di Parma family is I think he simply never quite got over the passing of his much beloved father, the poor chap. Hopefully Oberto III can survive the great grief Oberto II's passing will doubtless cause him.

I think he didn't have smallpox, rather he had an allergic reaction to the overwhelming grief.

Oberto II is the William Henry Harrison of Parma.

Close...very close. But Oberto III will not be called His Accidency.

Let's hope the force is strong with this one...

Can we mod in force chokes?

Seconded! the di Parma ancestors are screaming for the netherworld.. More War or we kill you!

And I thought *I* was bloodthirsty.

Also, he should sire a heir not named Oberto.

You must be some sort of subversive, to suggest such a thing.

25 - Ambitions, Assassinations, and Apulia

The first order of business with any new king is to get under the demense limit.

Duchies are handed out to Abelino di Parma (Valencia), Bernabo di Parma (Mallorca), Berto di Parma (Salerno), and the Lord Mayor of Genoa (Genoa). Due to high opinion, I stay at 8/7 for the moment, with the assumption that I'll raise my demense limit soon.

Early 1132 is spent whacking rebels, and having a daughter (Delinda). Unfortunately, Oberto III is shy, leading to issues.

25-Shy.jpg

Not shy with his wife, though. "I can't talk right now...I'm...busy."

25-Pregnant.jpg

I get to deal with the usual issues...family trying to kill each other...hey wait, that's Oberto's eldest son! I let him out to get a quick relations bonus while I decide what to do long term.

25-Assassination.jpg

Dude, again? Not coming out this time. He dies in prison 2 months later.

25-Assassination2.jpg

Demense limit problem solved. Now I'll become a Paragon of Virtue.

25-AmassWealth.jpg

Time to declare war and take the Duchy of Apulia.

25-DoWforApulia.jpg

I seem to get events like this fairly often for my wives. Well, other than for the first Oberto.

25-Love.jpg

While the sieges in Apulia drag on, the Duke of Holland decides to usurp the Empire. By himself. His war ends quickly, but meanwhile, Apulia falls to Oberto.

25-Apuliapeace.jpg

Have you lost your @#%#@ing mind?

25-CalltoArms.jpg

The Duke of Toscana decides to declare independence as well, so Oberto decides to try the maxim of "Kick a man while he's down".

25-DoWToscana.jpg

Sadly, the war ends with Toscana surrendering to the Kaiser in 1139. The only interesting thing that happened meanwhile was the birth of another son (Chiaffredo) and the conversion of Malta to Catholicism.

There are places where you can get your head chopped off for voicing such ideas!

Exactly! And when you play the Futurama Mod, you can then play your chopped off head.

how dare you?!

Sadly, the next king will not be named Oberto, however

Found the time to sit down and read some more.

I'm about halfway through now and enjoying it very much.

Keep up the good work! :)

Thank you very much!

What, did you think Oberto(es) relied just on his Spymaster for assassinations? Many of his enemies have been found dead from "strangulation with no fingerprints" and "indoor lightning strikes."

I spend too much time actually keeping people alive, rather than punishing them for failing me for the last time.