• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Pope may not be appointing his friends to these dangerous and recently conquered places. All hail King Oberto 1 of Sicily. You can move to maximum
Crown Authority straight away. All those Dukes who will revolt. Should be interesting. Then onto the Kingdom of Italy.

The Pope may not be appointing his friends to these dangerous and recently conquered places. All hail King Oberto 1 of Sicily. You can move to maximum
Crown Authority straight away. All those Dukes who will revolt. Should be interesting. Then onto the Kingdom of Italy.

Nope. Found out that I can't adjust crown authority as I'm under the HRE.

The shining light of Christ can be distracting for ship captains.
:rofl: That made me laugh. And if I wasn't such a frustratingly honest person, I'd steal that and pass it off as my own. Oh and congratulations on becoming king! That should mean you're good for a loan now, right? :D

That line was my favorite too; the mental images I got from thinking of that were pretty awesome.

Nope. Found out that I can't adjust crown authority as I'm under the HRE.

This means that theoretically, the Holy Roman Emperor can revoke your King title?

:rofl: That made me laugh. And if I wasn't such a frustratingly honest person, I'd steal that and pass it off as my own. Oh and congratulations on becoming king! That should mean you're good for a loan now, right? :D

Sure. I can loan you some children...

That line was my favorite too; the mental images I got from thinking of that were pretty awesome.

Thank you!

great stuff, do like the way that Oberto ignored side issues like a war he'd started and his son dieing to concentrate on the really important things in life

I would have died laughing if he had triggered the homosexual or disease trait events at the tourney on top of that.

This means that theoretically, the Holy Roman Emperor can revoke your King title?

Yup.

From king to count, quite the fall for Botolf. What are you going to do with all your duchies? Now that you're king, I believe your vassals will be quite pissed off if you keep them all yourself.

I'll get to that in the next update...

Interlude: Kingdom of Sicily, 1121

By usurping the Kingdom of Sicily, Oberto instantly pissed off every vassal (who loved him the day before), because he held 7 duchies.

I mean...eight.

Int1-DuchyofCalabria.jpg

With a relations penalty of -160 due to too many duchies and his demense too big, Oberto needed to start sharing the wealth.

First off, Bruno di Parma was made Duke of Calabria, and given all the client titles (except the bishoprics) to do with as he pleased. That brought the demense to 12/11, and left 5 duchies to parcel out.

Int1-BrunoofCalabria.jpg

Berto di Parma was given the Barony of Lodi to get under the demense limit. Next, Oberto gave his grandson Oberto the duchies of Mallorca, Valencia, Genoa, and Modena. This will help him in his quest to Become Exalted among Men (attain 1000 prestige, get 100 prestige, +10 relations bonus to feudal vassals, title "the Great").

Int1-Oberto2.jpg

This left Oberto with a manageable 3 duchies. The extra duchy is being held to parcel out to a worthy di Parma in time.

Int1-Oberto.jpg

Here's a map of direct vassals from September 1121:

Int1-MapofVassals.jpg

And here is a map of independent realms.

Int1-MapofRealms.jpg

My council.

Int1-Council.jpg

And a look at the technological state of the realm (crap):

Int1-Tech.jpg

Four duchies in one, potential hostile hand? Uh. Oh.:p

Looking at the tech part, isn't it about time moving your capitol to a sweeter location ?

Even if its only for the fine art of perfect wine growing.:D

Last edited:
Looking at the tech part, isn't about time moving your capitol to a sweeter location ?

I vote Rome. :)

This will help him in his quest to Become Exalted among Men (attain 1000 prestige, get 100 prestige, +10 relations bonus to feudal vassals, title "the Great")

I like a man with ambition ...

I've not yet managed much success with CK (ie I've been faffing around with small scale Counts etc or already powerful rulers), so not had much experience of moving up the feudal food chain and managing the consequences. It seems that whereas CK1 had the brutal but simple 'realm duress' to force you to disgorge too many gains, CK2 is much more subtle both in the ways it hits you and the solutions available?

CK1's Realm duress was more like a giant game of whack-a-mole, where as long as you could keep a doomstack going, you could eventually get everything back together. CK2's plots make keeping your vassals happy MUCH more important, and makes crusading important (because the relations boost between 2 crusaders might as well be labeled "bromance"). If you have 10 unhappy dukes, they can and will all band together against you in one single massive war.

We've already been promised in other threads that plots and ambitions would be getting upgrades in patches, so I suspect we will see more resilient plots and wars, that will result in independence wars being more successful and empires having a harder time zooming to Absolute authority and expanding. I also suspect that you will see the AI do a better job of deciding whether to plot or secede, so that if 5 vassals have a 50% chance to revolt, they'll plot and collaborate rather than go in a daisy chain that makes them easy to put down.

On a note about Crusading, one tactic is to never expand in the Holy Land without a crusade, so that you get more chances to bring your entire realm with you to get the massive crusader relations boost.

Very good to see Oberto gaining his rightful title as King of Sicily, a pity he is still under the HRE's control at present though. Not only is Oberto heroic and generous (more than happy to graciously give away ducal titles having recently usurped them from people such as the Emir of Cyrenaica), he is also a clearly devoted father. The way in which he mourned his son's passing was truly touching. Never before has someone more deserved kingship.

CK1's Realm duress was more like a giant game of whack-a-mole, where as long as you could keep a doomstack going, you could eventually get everything back together. CK2's plots make keeping your vassals happy MUCH more important, and makes crusading important (because the relations boost between 2 crusaders might as well be labeled "bromance"). If you have 10 unhappy dukes, they can and will all band together against you in one single massive war.

And thusly why your spymaster should always either be your wife, a courtier, or a mayor/bishop/count who you're on extremely good terms with. Though, what I like about CK2 is that you can revoke the a title of the a duke that betrayed you, and imprison them until they die,instead of having them reswear their oath of loyalty (until they break it again some time in the future).

How much longer will His Majesty Oberto's alice band protect his wearer? And Oberto Jr III will be wanting that kingdom sooner rather than later (in fact, can you find out at all if Oberto II died of natural causes or via plot in the game logs?)

"Bromance". It's funny, because it's true.

You're a 16 year old slothful, wrothful, lustful king with a handful of angry, stern duke uncles? You're useless at governing grandpa's realm and everybody hates you for it? You only stumbled onto the throne because grandpa's firstborn son lived exactly long enough to father you, and then conk off long before everyone else? Your pesky rival just had you excommunicated? Worry no longer: Aragon is lovely this time of the year, and for the rest of your days, you and your crusader WILL JUST NEVER STOP THINKING about the sweet times you had.

PS: The caveat to the only-expand-on-crusade rule is that in the Holy Land, you should always expand whenever there's a succession crisis in the Shia Caliphate. Because otherwise you won't ever expand.

I see the goal now of the Kingdom of Sicily, to unite ALL of Italy!

Four duchies in one, potential hostile hand? Uh. Oh.:p

I haven't really had a problem with sons wanting me dead when they're at 100 relations.

Looking at the tech part, isn't it about time moving your capitol to a sweeter location ?

Later, yes. It took a while for me to think of that.

I vote Rome. :)

Nah.

Very good to see Oberto gaining his rightful title as King of Sicily, a pity he is still under the HRE's control at present though. Not only is Oberto heroic and generous (more than happy to graciously give away ducal titles having recently usurped them from people such as the Emir of Cyrenaica), he is also a clearly devoted father. The way in which he mourned his son's passing was truly touching. Never before has someone more deserved kingship.

I greatly agree. A paragon of parenthood. He should be forever known as Oberto the Great Parent.

And thusly why your spymaster should always either be your wife, a courtier, or a mayor/bishop/count who you're on extremely good terms with. Though, what I like about CK2 is that you can revoke the a title of the a duke that betrayed you, and imprison them until they die,instead of having them reswear their oath of loyalty (until they break it again some time in the future).

Yeah. I think that they should make revoking titles piss off the entire dynasty of the afflicted ruler, to make that less appealing.

How much longer will His Majesty Oberto's alice band protect his wearer? And Oberto Jr III will be wanting that kingdom sooner rather than later (in fact, can you find out at all if Oberto II died of natural causes or via plot in the game logs?)

IIRC, he was ill, so probably natural causes.

"Bromance". It's funny, because it's true.

You're a 16 year old slothful, wrothful, lustful king with a handful of angry, stern duke uncles? You're useless at governing grandpa's realm and everybody hates you for it? You only stumbled onto the throne because grandpa's firstborn son lived exactly long enough to father you, and then conk off long before everyone else? Your pesky rival just had you excommunicated? Worry no longer: Aragon is lovely this time of the year, and for the rest of your days, you and your crusader WILL JUST NEVER STOP THINKING about the sweet times you had.

PS: The caveat to the only-expand-on-crusade rule is that in the Holy Land, you should always expand whenever there's a succession crisis in the Shia Caliphate. Because otherwise you won't ever expand.

Nah, plenty of other places to go. But it is gratifying to have every single duke at 100 relations, until someone goes and dies and his non-crusading son feels all excluded from the Bromance of the Round Table.

I see the goal now of the Kingdom of Sicily, to unite ALL of Italy!

Getting the Kingdom of Italy out of the HRE isn't easy, but I shall show off a fun way. :)