• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The emperor doesn't directly ask you for support against the plotters, just draw from your levies?

as ever great stuff ... bit cruel that Oberto-the-alice-band-wearer lost his reputation for bravery .... as people keep on saying you can only beat what is in front of you

Let's hope his son Oberto-the-hood-wearer has the hood well adjusted then!

Useful to know, thanks. Oh and I like how your game is going so far!

Thank you very much!

I've been following this for a couple of days and finally decided to post something.
It's great. I'm learning a lot.

I wanna know how things end up :)

Well, I'll spoil the ending, just for you. People die. :)

as ever great stuff ... bit cruel that Oberto-the-alice-band-wearer lost his reputation for bravery .... as people keep on saying you can only beat what is in front of you

Yeah, it's kinda sad. It takes a lot of bravery to go to a Mediterranean island and beat the hell out of an army much smaller than your own! And wearing an Alice band takes bravery too, right?

The emperor doesn't directly ask you for support against the plotters, just draw from your levies?

Let's hope his son Oberto-the-hood-wearer has the hood well adjusted then!

You are automatically entered on the Emperor's side by virtue of being part of the empire, so if you want to join in, you're free to. In fact, it can make things very annoying if you accidentally cross paths with the other side's army.

Chapter 15 - Duchies of Mallorca and Modena

November 11, 1101: And here's the downside to 2 county duchies...(later, I'll show a nifty way to take advantage of this...)

15-Duckyusurped.jpg

In January, the war between the Duchess of Franconia and Emperor Sieghard ends in White Peace. White peace in this case keeps the offending parties out of prison, but they lose some prestige.

I celebrate peace in the only way I know how.

15-DuchyofModena.jpg

In March, some Hedge Knights show up. I have yet to see a Hedge Knight event that has any truly bad outcomes, but they are a mite expensive. I give them a lavish feast, but that drops me to 0 money. The next day, one injures himself, so I have to take the -5 prestige/+5 piety option and let the guy stay and recuperate.

In May, the Doge of Pisa gets the county of Piombino revoked for his part in the Duchess of Franconia's plot. His response: try to take on the entire HRE with his single province. That works stunningly well.

In May 1103, I hire The Lombard Band for 75 gold declare war to take 2 Muslim provinces in Sicily from the Emir of Tunis.

Meanwhile, I arrange another matrilineal marriage for a family member, leading the new husband to ask to be my Marshal. In CKI, this event was annoying because most of the time it fired for morons. In CK2, it only seems to fire if the replacement is actually better.

15-NewMarshal.jpg

Unfortunately, the King of Sicily also declared war on the Emir of Tunis, and the Emir of Valencia joined in the war against me.

15-War1.jpg

In July 1104, to shut Oberto Palpatine up, I give him the Counties of Mallorca and Menorca. He decides that Counts shouldn't wear hoods.

15-CountOberto.jpg

In April 1105, the first appearance of heresy occurs in the empire.

15-Heresy.jpg

In August, I fulfill the ambition of Amass Wealth again, and that means I can now usurp the Duchy of Mallorca. With my high stewardship, I decide to take the ambition to become the Imperial steward.

15-DuchyofMallorca.jpg

Speaking of plots and ambitions, I decided against plotting to kill myself.

15-Ambition.jpg

In February 1107, I usurp the Duchy of Salerno back (giving me a total of 6 Duchies). In response, I get to deal with my first plot against a family member. It will not be even remotely close to the last. Anyone that is your vassal (direct or indirect) will always end a plot when told.

15-Plots.jpg

And in March, I finally force the Emir of Tunis to give up, giving me the entire Duchy of Sicily. I managed to get Siracusa by letting Tunis siege it back from Sicily, then wiping their army and grabbing it for myself. I just forgot to take screenshots...h

15-PeaceinSicily.jpg

Meanwhile, one of my vassals gets caught trying to assassinate a court member, which means I get to imprison him and ransom him. Imprisoning people by event usually does not impose the -50 Imprisoned relations modifier.

15-CountofGrisons.jpg

This now leaves me 2 counties away from being a King...

15-Kingdom.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone who is your vassal, and hates you enough can refuse a invitation to stop plotting against you. Unless you've created an impossibly powerful duke, this problem can be solved by ensuring the plot doesn't get any backers. Plus, the vassal will generally have to have -100 relations with you, which means he'll probably revolt first.

Also, closing in on the King of Sicily. If you get it, you need to ensure that you remain on good terms with the Kaiser, lest he try to revoke your title.

Oh bugger, your photobucket account has exceeded its bandwidth as of the moment. I'll try again later in hoping that it was a bit of a glitch.

Anyone who is your vassal, and hates you enough can refuse a invitation to stop plotting against you. Unless you've created an impossibly powerful duke, this problem can be solved by ensuring the plot doesn't get any backers. Plus, the vassal will generally have to have -100 relations with you, which means he'll probably revolt first.

Also, closing in on the King of Sicily. If you get it, you need to ensure that you remain on good terms with the Kaiser, lest he try to revoke your title.

Never had someone stay at -100 that long. :)

I see epic family squabbles in the future... what with all those ducal titles...

Oh my god IT NEVER ENDS!!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but don't you need 2 counties? Having 8/17 would still be below 50%.

Ooops. You are quite right. Until I pass a law that in my duchy, 8 * 2 = 18.

given the state of Oberto-junior's hair cut, i think I now realise why he wore the hood.

Superb stuff, and almost a King too.

Hehehehe...you are quite right.

Oh bugger, your photobucket account has exceeded its bandwidth as of the moment. I'll try again later in hoping that it was a bit of a glitch.

I'll pay for unlimited bandwidth later today...seeing as I blew past my limit in 4 days.

Meanwhile, one of my vassals gets caught trying to assassinate a court member, which means I get to imprison him and ransom him. Imprisoning people by event usually does not impose the -50 Imprisoned relations modifier.

Isn't it -40? -50 is what you get when you banish someone, isn't it?

Isn't it -40? -50 is what you get when you banish someone, isn't it?

I am positive that Banish is scored based on the number of titles that they would lose. Imprisoned is -50.

Neat that you can usurp a whole kingdom without a single battle...

Yup. But it imposes a massive relations hit, and they keep a claim.

Good AAR.

Thank you!

The de facto holder is the rightful ruler.:)

Possession is 9/10ths of the law.

Sorry for missing an update last night...my 3 year old poked me in the eye with his fingernail, and I'm just now recovering from that pain.

Chapter 16 - The Ultimatum

In May 1107, I have to deal with my first plot to Institute Elective Monarchy. How he thought this was going to work with over 75% of the counties in my realm being held by Oberto and Oberto Palpatine, I'm not sure.

16-PlotElectiveMonarchy.jpg

While looking at the Intrigue window, I see I missed another plot...man, this little girl is toast if I don't save her...anyway, Count Alvise has a whopping 13% plot power. Both plots are ended with a stern warning. One crappy side to being ruler is that you don't get a relations boost from the target of a plot when you force plots to end. Ingrates.

16-Plotpower.jpg

In July, the Emperor tries for High Crown Authority, but it dies in committee. In the mean time, let's look in on my Grandson, the future of our dynasty...I'll take that! Quick, honest, kind, diligent, charitable, patient, a veritable saint! I didn't think you could have eldest sons like that...

16-GrandsonOberto.jpg

Hrm, that Vassal Levies Raised Too Long icon has been up a while...HOLY CRAP! The Emperor apparently has kept some of my levies up forever, and my vassals are starting to get testy about it. Of course, mayors and bishops really can't do anything.

16-VassalLevies.jpg

There's currently a bug that when you load the game, it resets the 5 year timer on usurping titles back. I don't mind, since you don't lose prestige for having a title usurped away, and you get prestige for usurping.

16-UsurpSalermo.jpg

Meanwhile, my wife wants me to fire my awesome spymaster (the next guy is about 4 points lower). She can deal.

16-Spymaster.jpg

In August, Menorca culture flips to Italian. Things are going nice and swimmingly, and then...

16-Ultimatum.jpg

Did they change it from -40 to -50 in the last patch? (I'm talking about the hit you get with your other vassals, not the guy you've imprisoned)

If you survive this without giving up Palermo, you sir, are a legend.