• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First off - I offload a bishopric. Make sure that when you give away a bishopric that you get the 25 piety church grant bonus. Not all characters give it (and I haven't bothered to figure out why some characters don't). If you are keeping the county for yourself, then this is a great opportunity at the duke/king/emperor level to poach great characters from your realm's court so you can stock your council - you can grant titles to anyone in your realm, and then they come into your court.

Very good to know, thanks! Enjoying the AAR, and learning too.

Good stuff, you are adding to your realm very nicely. Puzzling though that your wife is attempting to kill you. You'd almost think imprisoning her whilst she was pregnant and then banishing her gives her some reason to dislike you.

Thanks for the map. Your liege has quite a duchy! So how does it work in terms of what's under a king/emperor? You can own enclaves/titles in different kingdoms?

You can't execute a plot alone, however. You must have at least one plot backer.

Awww sweet, plots are for sharing... :)

Very good to know, thanks! Enjoying the AAR, and learning too.

Thank you!

Good stuff, you are adding to your realm very nicely. Puzzling though that your wife is attempting to kill you. You'd almost think imprisoning her whilst she was pregnant and then banishing her gives her some reason to dislike you.

She's just whiny.

Thanks for the map. Your liege has quite a duchy! So how does it work in terms of what's under a king/emperor? You can own enclaves/titles in different kingdoms?

The game differentiates between de jure and de facto rulership. Counts will eventually want the de jure duchy titles that they are under, dukes will want their de jure kingdoms. Kings and dukes will want their de jure titles under their own vassalship. Both of those cause relation hits with their liege over time.

Also, territories follow their de jure crown's laws, and de jure crown laws are tracked by the title, not owner. Thus, if you are King of 2 nations, one could be Agnatic and one could be Agnatic-Cognatic, causing a split. Same thing goes for gavelkind or elective succession. Other crown laws (authority and investiture) are also tracked by king.

There is one caveat, however - if you're Irish but expand into Wales and form the Kingdom of Wales first, your succession laws will immediately change to the base Kingdom of Wales laws. After that, it's again tracked by the crown laws.

Awww sweet, plots are for sharing... :)

Yup!

Last edited:
Chapter 8 - The Plot Thickens

With my 6th county, I hand off all the barony level titles, and check my wife's plot. Her base power is 76.6%, which means she has a 65% chance to off me if anyone joins in, and 90% if she can get to 100% plot power. Not a good thing.

June 18th, 1085: Uh-oh. I better get whoever that is to end the plot quick...

08-Plot103.jpg

Whew.

08-EndPlot.jpg

In October, it's time for another war against Muslims in Malta, before anyone else can get there. I want to ensure that I can create the Duchy of Sicily without interference. Again, I'm picking on someone that's smaller than me.

08-DoWSicily.jpg

Meanwhile, Roger of Sicily has formed the Kingdom of Sicily, and immediately sets about increasing Crown Authority. This will save me pissing people off when I am King of Sicily, so I'm all for it!

08-SicilyCA.jpg

To pave the way for higher city taxes, I pass the Minimal City Levies law. This gains wide support (I might have neglected to mention the coming tax increase...slipped my mind). Since both laws affect opinion, sometimes you have to give up one to afford the relations hit for the other.

08-MinimalCityLevies.jpg

My daughter Agnese also has come of age, and I need warm di Parma bodies to fill future titles. Therefore, rather than play dynastic roulette, I choose to find a husband with good stats and get a Matrilineal Marriage.

Matrilineal marriages allow for the mother's dynasty to be passed on to the children, rather than the father's. Most female rulers will demand a matrilineal marriage, and most rulers will refuse matrilineal marriages if the target is the first or second son, or if they are a council member. They also aren't going to agree to a matrilineal marriage to your 5th cousin - if the person is unimportant, they will never agree. This helps keep matrilineal marriages relatively rare in the game.

The biggest downside right now is that the Arrange Marriage button makes finding a spouse simple - click button, and it filters out every character that you can't possibly set up a marriage with. There is no such arrange Matrilineal Marriage button (there is, but it's just a link to the diplomacy action, it doesn't actually help you find willing spouses). This makes them somewhat tedious.

08-Agnesemarries.jpg

In December, my ships sail into the port of Girgenti and unload 1400 men smack in the middle of the enemy siege, crushing them. While you get a significant 10-15% penalty (by troop type) for amphibious landings, they are a time saver...and fun!

08-BofGirgenti.jpg

It takes until November 1086 for the sieges to end...in CKII, you have to win not only the county siege, but also besiege all barony level holdings as well. (It's possible, but rare, for the barony level holdings to be held by other rulers, in which case you ignore those). But they end, and Sicily is mine.

08-Sicilypeace.jpg

I now have 8 holdings (7 counties + the city of Mdina, Malta), with a demense size of 6. I foist Mdina off on someone, but I will be eating a 16% income penalty...to hold a province that won't generate profit for 30 years. Something needs to be done.

08-CountObertoII.jpg

I'm sure that having an income of 0 won't be a problem...and he wanted a title, right? At least he has good stats. That 15 stewardship will give a fine % bonus to 0 income!

08-ObertoIIstats.jpg

December 15: Another feast. Matilda looooves her feasts.

The flavor events really add a lot to the game. In this case, I become kind. (of a bastard).

08-Kind.jpg

The -2 intrigue drops me to 0...but the +2 diplomacy will surely stop those daggers, right?

08-Obertodies.jpg

Last edited:
Interlude - the World in 1088

I forgot to do this when Oberto died, so I used the nearest save, from September 1088. It's not that much different than January 1, 1087. I thought of this after having played over 100 years, so I'll have to recreate these for a while with nearby saved games.

Map of Europe - anything off the map is outside Parma's worries.

08i-Map.jpg

The dynasty. Oberto is the only one with a title.

08i-Dynasty.jpg

My vassals (sorted by opinion)

08i-Vassals.jpg

Independent States, by army size.

08i-Army.jpg

aye let that be a warning in all CK AARs, don't be nice to old drunks (unless of course your character is an old drunk). Oberto looks disturbingly familiar - that moustache, the military style uniform ... are you sure you've not been swapping genes with a passing Rurikovich?

Last edited:
Always a pleasure to read your AARs, naggy. :)

Oberto is dead, long live Oberto?

Again, I'm picking on someone that's smaller than me.

Always the best and most honourable way of things!

Thus your plotting to become Duke and then King of Sicily continues apace. A pity that poor Oberto passed away before at least the Ducal title was created, but said title should still go to an Oberto.

You don't get any title from your liege as investiture gift? Tight-fisted dukes!

How does c++ handle bastards? :)

You mean undocumented classes? It doesn't, you just have to deal with them when they appear...

aye let that be a warning in all CK AARs, don't be nice to old drunks (unless of course your character is an old drunk). Oberto looks disturbingly familiar - that moustache, the military style uniform ... are you sure you've not been swapping genes with a passing Rurikovich?

I sincerely hope not. Though, I could send a kid off to Russia to become Russian...

Always a pleasure to read your AARs, naggy. :)

Thank you!

Oberto is dead, long live Oberto?

Exactly!

Always the best and most honourable way of things!

Thus your plotting to become Duke and then King of Sicily continues apace. A pity that poor Oberto passed away before at least the Ducal title was created, but said title should still go to an Oberto.

Duke of Sicily has not been created, though. I have some options I will lay out soon.

You don't get any title from your liege as investiture gift? Tight-fisted dukes!

I agree whole heartedly.

You mean undocumented classes? It doesn't, you just have to deal with them when they appear...

Sounds hauntingly familiar...

Chapter 9 - To Defect, or to not Defect

January 1, 1087:
Count Oberto di Parma (not to be confused with Count Oberto di Parma) starts his realm in better position than his father. I have a max demense size of 9 (with 7 counties), and a new Count has much less to fear than a new Duke or King.

I start off by choosing the Amass Wealth ambition (+1 stewardship is always handy), and sending my heir Oberto (how...unique) off to Duchess Matilda to be tutored. This serves two purposes: Matilda has good stats, and it boosts my relations to avoid any issues while I consolidate my realm and look for opportunities.

In CKII, Guardianship is hugely important to the development of characters. Children will often assume the culture and religion of their tutors (which can be handy if you want to get in good with a particular court), and they also tend to increase stats, pick up traits, and get their education level from their guardians. While sending a child to a character with 4 virtues, 25 stewardship, and Midas Touched won't guarantee a kick-butt steward, it will certainly help. Guardians and wards will get permanent relations bonuses to each other, so sending your heir to the King's heir may serve them well down the line.

09-ObertoGuardian.jpg

With the relations boost from sending my son off to Matilda, I can request a duchy. Matilda figures that Jesus was unspecific as to which Oberto he was going to be rewarding...

09-Matildadropdead.jpg

As a brand new ruler, I can pass a law immediately. I go for the money.

09-HarshCityTax.jpg

In December, a festival is held in Salermo,and Oberto is right there. Paaaarty! As a note, Gregarious is one of the easier positive traits to get - +2 diplomacy and generally positive relations boosts with vassals.

09-Gregarious.jpg

The next month, Oberto is forced to step in to save a woman from being burned to death as a witch. Sadly, there was no "I must take her back to my chambers for...evaluation" option.

09-Witch.jpg

Less than a week later, the emperor declares war on the High Chief of Pomerania, causing the Emperor to raise troops. Unfortunately, a common side effect of this is that your more important nobles (including yourself) get called up as well. Oberto gets to march around the empire. The war ends in April, with thousands of Pomeranians forced to serve the Empire.

pomeranian.jpg

Oh, this is a good reason not to piss off dukes and the pope unnecessarily...

09-Excommunication.jpg

In September 1088, I sit down to decide my options:
1.) Stay in the empire. To become a duchy, I will have to declare independence from my Duke, praying that they can't call in enough allies to crush me.
2.) Jump to the Kingdom of Sicily, and try and claw my way up to be able to usurp the Kingdom. The risk here is that the kingdom is not strong enough to prevent strong Muslim states from invading.
3.) Jump to the Byzantine Empire. The Empire's succession laws are currently Primogeniture rather than Elective like the Empire, making it trickier to become Emperor. On the other hand, the Byzantines are a juggernaut in the current patch, similar to the Empire.

In the end, I choose to stay with the Holy Roman Empire. The HRE has lower Crown Authority (allowing me to declare war on weak Muslims and expand), a large army (keeping most Muslim states from even thinking about attacking), Elective succession (giving me a direct path to the top), and is more centrally located.

To celebrate my choice, the Duchess holds another feast. I get the choice of becoming a drunkard or pissing off the duchess. I choose to piss off the duchess. Luckily, I get the chance to compliment the food, which balances out.

09-Feastdrinking.jpg

February sees Oberto losing the sin of Wroth. The loss in Martial sucks. Wroth is one of the more useful sins to have, though it causes friction with the church.

09-LoseWroth.jpg

The exact same day, a famous writer wants to compose my family's chronicles. The prestige is worth it.

09-Chronicles.jpg

My family's Chronicles are so inspiring, the Pope calls for a Crusade against Jaffa. In response to the Crusade, my chancellor manages to fabricate claims in Lombardia. Unfortunately, they are for the County rather than the Duchy, so I let it go.

09-Fabclaimscounty.jpg

In May 1089, the Kaiser calls for a Grand Tournament. ALWAYS go to the Grand Tournament - you get a lot of prestige, and the chance of something bad happening is not much more than if you just unclick pause at any time.

09-Tournament.jpg

Unfortunately, 4 days later my peasants in Girgenti revolt. The tournament doesn't actually move your character's location, so they can lead an army in Sicily while jousting in Berlin. Don't ask why.

In this case, I got a total of 100 prestige from the tournament.

09-Tournamentends.jpg

In November, my chaplain is wounded by a mob of peasants who aren't thrilled about being exposed to the light of Christ. Jehovah's Witnesses just have to worry about people answering the door naked - proselytizing is a lot safer these days. (Depending on who is getting naked, I suppose)

09-Chaplainwounded.jpg

Whenever you get an event that lets your spouse fall in love with you, always take it. Spouses in love are more likely to provide heirs, and generally don't plot to kill you. (Not that this has been an issue in this AAR or anything. Not at all. Oberto and Sancha were a classic love story.)

09-Love.jpg

Opportunity, she is knocking. Matilda dies, splitting up her duchy (gavelkind rocks if you're planning on being a treasonous bastard...).

09-Matildadies.jpg

Looks like Matilda died pretty early. When I play as Matilda she tends to lead a long life which is awesome because she is such a great character. However for you're sake I hope she had lots of sons....

Duke of Modena or Toscana has a nice ring to it.....

I'm really enjoying this! I'm quite keen to see if you can climb up the royal ladder. Also, this is a good way for me to get away from the stresses of my terminally ill dad, and the fact that he may have just broken his jaw today to add to the fun.

One odd thing for me when I played the same game as you. I had heirs in place, but as soon as the first Oberto croaked, my game immediately ended. I have no idea why. Although strangely, it had refused to allow me to marry off my heir.