• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Response time!

@ Lord Valentine
: Austria is the leader of the coalition, but they're pretty much tied down with the Ottomans right now. But Spain is definitely going to pay for this party that's for sure ;)

@ Grubnessul: The Dutch question is going to take a interesting turn..

@ mandead
: Thank you very much! Delighted to hear ^^

@ dem61s: Vlaandern is worth too much I'm afraid, but I won't let Spain keep it for long :mad:

@ Enewald: Only good Spaniard is a dead Spaniard..

Chapter VII – The Fall of a Giant
1597-1598

victory-1.png

The French move into Spain

The Reforms of Henri IV

The great victories Henri and Francois de Bonne had won in Southern France and the Netherlands were in no small part owed to the execution of their new doctrines. The high mobility of the French cavalry, especially the dragoons, the accurate artillery and the strong fist of the infantry were wrought together into a fighting force that surpassed anything that the Habsburgs could muster on the Northern front. Such military superiority raised the Huguenot standing throughout Europe, but nowhere were the results better received than in France itself. The general populace had changed its hatred from the Huguenots towards the Habsburgs, who (according to Huguenot propaganda at least) were responsible for the long wars of Religion and the former instability that had plagued France.

improvements.png

A new way of warfare saw the light of day in Flanders.

Into the Lion’s Den

Although Spain had been in for a rough treatment at the hands of the French in the Dutch theatre of war, it would take a whole year before all of the rich provinces lay under French control. But by then all the Spaniards could muster was around 20,000 men, now outmatched by the French army of 30,000. Besides the fact they were outnumbered, the Spanish were also confined to the defensive as they lacked the leadership to conduct any offensive operations. So while the Spaniards held the mountain passes guarded, the French forces of the South under Denis de Tocqueville assembled provisions and readied themselves for the invasion of Spain proper.
When they entered Spain, the French immediately spread out to siege the castles of the neighbouring provinces. De Tocqueville faced several Spanish attacks, but repelled them with great difficulty. The highest amount of French casualties so far came from the North Spanish Front.

battlepirineo.jpg

Battle in Northern Spain

The Great Armada

At the same time as the French crossed the border, a large fleet of warships left La Rochelle. The amassed French navy of 35 Galleys and Galleons moved in for the kill. They sailed for the Spanish coast, the Spanish gold and the Spanish goods. It was a bold move, the Spaniards had been desperately at rebuilding their navy after the catastrophe of the Invincible Armada and no one knew how large a size it had reached. The navy left port much in the way as Hitler’s soldiers would enter the Rhineland centuries later. They had strict orders to withdraw at first sight of a superior Spaniard force, but like at the Rhine, no response came. The blockade was total. No Spanish vessel made it back to Iberia and the treasures of the Americas disappeared into the French treasury.

ships.jpg

Spanish ships trying to break the blockade were sunk all as one

Spanish Rule Crumbles

Throughout the Spanish dominions, the oppressed nations felt the wind of change. Tired of the burden of war taxes and conscription, the Sicilians rose up in rebellion and threw the Spaniard garrisons into the sea, reliving the glorious days of the Sicilian Vespers. The spirit of revolting spread from Palermo up through Italy to Milan. The Spaniards were expelled or murdered by angry mobs of Milanese peasants and merchants. Republics were proclaimed in both states and mutual letters of recognition were sent. The French ministry of war saw an opportunity and grasped it without hesitation; French gold was given to all the rebels and their governments acknowledged as legitimate. To this the Spanish didn’t react well, even though they had been using the same tactic for years in France. Harsh words streamed from the Pope and the Emperor pledged to march straight to Paris. He didn’t even reach the Rhine before the Ottoman War forced him to the East. In Madrid the situation was getting desperate. The overseas dominions of the Spanish Crown were all in open revolt, even the Catalans rose in defiance, though they were put down by a young Gaspar Colón.

revolts21597.jpg

Spanish woes, a pleasant sight

The young Gaspar Colón would prove to be the right man of the hour. He shun like a star compared to the well meaning but talent less Denis de Tocqueville. Colón took to the field with nothing to lose and he came back as the saviour of the Catholic faith in Western Europe. He first completely destroyed the French forces camping outside Priniero. A bewildered de Tocqueville retreated across the border with only a handful of man servants. It was one the greatest French defeats in the entire war.

battlepirineo2.jpg

Denis Tocqueville suffers a crushing defeat

But as if that wasn’t bad enough, a recovered Pedro Enríquez de Acevedo appeared before the French forces convening in the Béarn and killed and captured all 7,000 men. Within a few months of 1598, the main part of the Southern French Army had been destroyed in two decisive engagements. The bells in Madrid rang with joy and king Philip raised his head once more. Spain had not lost yet! With an eerie sense that destiny was at hand, Henri hurried his army of Flanders south to save what still could be saved. Only God could tell how he would fare..

battlebearn-1.jpg

In a daring raid the Spanish army surprises and annihilates the French infantry readying themselves in Southern France

[Author's note]
Ps, I'd like to know from the readAARs how the amount of updates is. Is there too many too soon?

Milites said:
A bewildered de Tocqueville retreated across the border with only a handful of man servants.
Ouch!

Milites said:
Pedro Enríquez de Acevedo appeared before the French forces convening in the Béarn and killed and captured all 7,000 men.
OUCH!!!!

Milites said:
Ps, I'd like to know from the readAARs how the amount of updates is. Is there too many too soon?
It is fine by me. But I got to admit work is kind of slow at the moment, so I have all the time I need to check the forum. :)

Fantastic AAR Milites. Congrats.

I think you need not worry about making too many updates, usually people only complain about too little. ;)

P.S.:
One minor gripe:

Milites said:
The navy left port much in the way as Hitler’s soldiers would enter the Rhineland centuries later.
I think an alt-history writer should refrain from letting certain well-known events occur regardless of earlier monumental changes to the timeline. It makes the whole thing look silly and implausible.
If you absolutely want to preserve something do it like Harry Turtledove in the Timeline-191 series and change the actors but keep the general pattern intact.

Ouchtime! Seems the Spanish finally have some good leaders. With the Flemish armies marching south, I forsee trouble in the north.

It looks like we are going to see an epic and decisive battle between Henri IV and Spain's champion de Acevedo! I wouldn't have thought the Spanish Habsburg capable of such a rebirth! But your troops must have been in a terrible state if they couldn't even retreat but where instead whipped out. Well this makes it more interesting. :D

Where the pace of the updates is concerned: I love it! I can't get enough of this AAR. The graphics are beautiful, the presentation is skillful and the scenario intriguing. Carry on the good work!

~Lord Valentine~

I love this AAR, and I don't tend to read many of them. ;)

Some excellent narrative, and of course wonderful pictures.

How do you make those maps? They look awesome... teach me!

(and that fist looks familiar; you been using my rebel flag? :D)

To y'all, thanks a bunch :D

@ dem61s
: .. and tripple ouch! After the action in the Netherlands, I didn't expect them Spanish to be so aggressive ^^ must have finished the siesta or something..

@ KomodoWaran: Well, the point of my inclusion of that particular bit was to stress the fact that even though the (so far) success of the French Revolution, history still develops in a familiar way.

@ Enewald: Will do..

@ Lord Valentine : Thanks! Well I guess they (the 7,000 dead guys) were just really sleepy, or just drunk.. :p

mandead : Matter of fact yes :D I was in dire straits to find some kind of rebel marker and suddenly remembered your nifty flag. As for the maps I found these links quite useful:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8637624&postcount=7
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362869
http://hertz-ladiges.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=111

The way I make the map look erhm.. like a map is due to me playing around with the burn tool in CS2 and using some paper textures from http://www.cgtextures.com/

Last edited:
Milites said:
mandead : Matter of fact yes :D I was in dire straits to find some kind of rebel marker and suddenly remembered your nifty flag.
Glad you like it. :)

...sure beats that annoying black/red, which apparently only came out in the Spanish Civil War... :confused:

I always thought it funny to see catholic rebels fighting under the banner of the Anarcho-Syndicalists :D

Milites said:
To y'all, thanks a bunch :D

@ dem61s
: .. and tripple ouch! After the action in the Netherlands, I didn't expect them Spanish to be so aggressive ^^ must have finished the siesta or something..
Ha! Nobody expects the Spanish aggression!

Brownie points? :p

mandead, I got a treat coming up. Possible the best I've done so far.

Chapter IIX – Twilight of an Empire

henrileavesFlanders.jpg

Henri leaves Flanders for Spain​

[Note] I advice the readAAr to listen to the mood music, really gives a great feeling to the reading!

The Glorious Relief

Never before had an army crossed France in such haste. Never before had so many soldiers, cavaliers and dragoons been led across the French border and never before had they carried such a message of invincible will. That said, it still took Henri three months to cross the country from Flanders to the Béarn. From Brugge to Pau soldiers were conscripted and equipped with sword, pike and musket. It had nearly crippled the French treasury, but every man regardless of religious creed that razed to save the French grip on Catalonia was armed to the teeth and his mind sharp, focused on war and only that kind of war that is fought without mercy.

spainandrevolts.jpg

Status of the Spanish front, 1598/1599

By October 1598, Henri stood before the walls of Huesca where Pedro Enríquez de Acevedo had assembled the last army of Spain. Thinly it had been spread before, engulfing what weak garrisons the French could muster throughout Catalonia, but now as the day of All Saints neared, it had gathered again to drive one single deadly stroke at the approaching French invader. As the Spaniards arranged themselves on the rugged plain outside the city, Henri galloped forth to address his men. Many accounts of varying credibility has been preserved for later times, but chief amongst them is the account of the later duc de Sully.

Mood Music
Henriadvances.jpg

Henri directs his men towards Pirineo

[Except] The king now rode past, saluting the regiments and squadrons that had followed him and us throughout almost 5 years of hardships of war and combat. First he addressed the Catholic companies who, although in minority, encompassed a sizeable part of his majesty’s force. Thus the king spoke: “My friends! So many times have we, we happy few, been assembled with such a duty to fight. Remember, my comrades – for we are comrades in arms and brothers in faith, remember who you have before you. We face the spawn and rascals and thugs who would have our beloved native land enslaved on the false pretext of religion. I say to you [the king took deep breath] ride, ride with me and let the estandards of our holy land fly before you. And as you ride sing until your hearts burst, sing the Te Deum, proclaim the glory of our lord saviour Jesus Christ! Praise God with great praise, for you have been destined to liberate our land on a foreign soil. Praise God and let none come between you and victory!” To this, the catholic regiments roared with delight and the lust for battle shone like stars in their eyes.

***​

Then the king positioned himself before the Huguenots. His horse reared as the majesty spoke to the rough and grim troopers who had cast the Spaniards out of France and Flanders, the soldiers of the French reformation. Silence had fallen over the French army and only the soft fluttering of the many banners could be heard. “Men, friends and oath comrades! For long have we fought for this day to come. For years have we tolerated the insults, demeans and violations forced upon us by the Papist slave the king of Spain. For years has this rascal of rascals gotten away with such heathenry behaviour. This day, this very day that stands before us, we will be granted satisfaction. I have every faith in you, my brothers. Yes, I see you all as my brothers; I see all of France as my brother, but you, you faithful few are dearest to me. Fight with your brethren my friends! If the Te Deum outreaches the cries of dying Spaniards, then shout the blessed words of the psalms until all that can be heard on this very field is the words of God Almighty! Remember this day in your hearts, for today we fight and die for France and for the blessed French Reformation!” The king’s horse reared and he spurred it back and forward before the army, accepting its affection. At last his voice rang out once more to the army in unity.

A slow rumble of the drums could be heard as the king of France spoke once more. The air was filled with the excitement of 23,000 Frenchmen and the ground shook with the shock of pounding drums.

"Sons of France! If you today run at risk with me, I will also run at risk with you; I will be victorious or die. God is with us. Look at his and our enemies. Look at your king. Hold your ranks, I beg of you; and if the heat of battle makes you leave them, think also of rallying back: therein lies the key to victory. You will find it among those three trees that you can see over there on your right side. If you lose your ensigns, cornets or flags, do never lose sight of my panache; you will always find it on the road to honour and victory." [1]

The roar of the battle cries of France mixed with the rising thunder of the hide covered battle drums and high-pitched song of the flutes and throughout the Great Army of Flanders praise of God rose to the skies. King Henri drew his sword and ordered his host onwards. The Spaniards shook in their bones and braced themselves for the onslaught.

greatbattle2.jpg

The battle of the fate of empires and religions was fought on a chilly day in Northern Spain

For a moment all the Spaniards could hear was the thunder of the hooves of the French cavalry, then the noise of drums and horses were replaced by the cries of the French army as they sang their praise to god. Then the noise of gun fire, steel against steel and the cannons’ bombardments swept over the Spaniards. The great squadrons of French cavalry swept down upon the Spanish troopers holding the flanks. Several Spaniards tried to hold the line, but the majority was simply swept away by the French storm of death. Pedro Enríquez de Acevedo observed the battle, which only lasted a few hours, from the walls of Huesca with amazement and fear. Such a force was unstoppable, he had broken the first army of France in a couple of encounters, yet here came the Protestant king and broke the back of his men in only a single one.

battletwo.jpg

The forces of Spain proper are utterly routed

Spain was blockaded; Spain was losing its overseas dominions; Spaniard armies and navies were all but destroyed.

It was undeniable.

Spain was broken.

[1] A cookie to the lucky fellow that guesses at what place this actually was said.

Last edited: