• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Snake IV

46 Badges
Sep 24, 2005
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
"Hi and welcome to Paradoxian Idol, the first AAR to be shamelessly ripped off the TV.

Also visit our HoI II filial
And our EUIII filial

Here you, be you a writer, lurker, moderator, reader, serpent wannabee, or God of Thunder and rock 'n roll, will be the one standing for the actual making of the AAR. You are the innovative soul we are looking for, who we in the jury then can comment on in a snobby superior way (or in a kind and constructive way, whatever is fine for you.) The core here is songs; songs with neat lyrics. You will get the change to produce neat lyrics (own songs too if you're able) and present them here. The best of you will then move on to the next level of competition, were you fight each other in a cascade of song and dance.

This kind of writing is called a "Musical AAR" and has been produced in AARland in non-collective forms before. The only form I have so far observed is remade lyrics to one somewhat well known song. Among these the triplets AARs produced by EvilSanta stand for the biggest chunk, at least by one author. EvilSanta has also written a guide how to write an AAR like this, which you can read if you feel inexperienced in the field. Below will an example of a musical AAR be shown, including some practical notes.

Now, let's get down to business. The following guidelines should be good to have read.

1. Anyone can contribute to the AAR.
2. A contribution doesn't have to be in the competition. No jury contributions will. If someone else wish to just write state that you do not wish to compete. After all, the main thing is to have fun.
3. The contribution must contain a musical element in some way least modified by the author.
4. There must be a link to the tune corresponding to the text to qualify.
5. One competing contribution per member and level of competition. Non-competing contributions are unlimited. Unless stated otherwise in beforehand the first contribution will be the competing one.
6.To keep a good pace please try to keep the contributions under four per day. It's not a hard rule, but a recommendation.
7. The contribution should not be out of place in the HoI forum. There are threads for the other forums coming up.

The levels of contribution will be adjusted according to the number of contributions. The final level is planned to be the the general forum

And for those who's interested: here is a short presentation of the jury, with some tasteless commercials for their other works.

Snake IV(me), who's idea this AAR happens to be. Has done a couple of AARs before, of which "The seven wonders of the Diplomatic world" is most known being the only Diplomacy AAR of some length. Until recently Snake IV regrettably hadn't done much in AAR lately besides reading already subscribed works. Snake has one AAR he is currently working on. “World war II in colour, boring bulge“ was started not at all long ago, where he whines as Bhutan.

grayghost, a big shot in the HoI II sub-forum. He has one AAR through the times, one but a tiger. The Manchurian Candidate is among the top of the Narrative AARs ongoing, and has been several times awAARded for its quality, among that the Favourite HoI overall and Favourite HoI Narrative AAR for Q2 2007. grayghost is also the founder of the warlords club, which includes such people as Le Ran and rcduggan.

EvilSanta, the master of musical AARs. As mentioned is EvilSanta’s greatest success the three AARs were everything is told through lyrics and lyrics only, in the CK, EUIII, and HoI II forums, for which he has won both WritAAR of the week and Weekly AAR showcase. Currently he works on “Ein Bergvolk, Ein Österreich, Ein Schuschnigg!” were he plays the smaller German version of a Reich (Austria), with easy-going and fun humour with one of his eminent songs once in a while.

Duke of Wellington, creator of many entertaining AARs, among them the two years old and counting “Golden Horde - Scourge From The East”, which is the longest EUII AAR since five years in posts counted. Duke has also made several other AARs about hopeless or very tiny nations in EUII or EUIII, all with a cleaver style of writing with an entertaining view on organized societies. Duke of Wellington is also one of the forums biggest readers, giving positive feedback in AARs of every style and quality all over the forum.

And now, let the singing begin! Remember that the important isn’t to win, but to contribute, entertain and be entertained."

Last edited:
This is no contribution.

And he was
By grayghost

Sing to the tune of And she was

I was sitting in my castle
When the Pope put out the call
He said we had to break the heathen
Or else Jerusalem would fall

So I gathered my clergy round
And they began to pray
Then I gathered my nobles round
And said it’s time were on our way

We are Crusaders
God was right there with us
And he was

To fight the heathen
And he was

When we arrived in Constantinople
We said the Pope he has our back
Unless you take us cross the water
Your precious city we’ll attack

All their nobles they gathered round
And said send them on their way
As we boarded the ships to cross
You could here us say

We are Crusaders
And he was

To fight the heathen
And he was

Oh we were fighting
Killing and sacking
The heathens weren’t sure
What they’d done

No time for think about
What were doing
All we know is
It’s all for God
And it was
Pray, pray, pray pray pray

We arrived outside the city
Fell to our knees and start to pray
For Gods blessing on our army
So that we can win the day

Pray pray…pray pray pray…pray pray pray pray pray

Pray pray…pray pray pray…pray pray pray pray pray

We are Crusaders
And he was

To take the city
And he was

With sword and fire
And he was

We won the battle
And he was

And he was

And he was

And he was

And he was

And he was.

I want some notes about the makign of this, but I relized I hadn't made it, so if you will grayghost? :)

Last edited:
It seems somebody has to get this thing kick-started so I'll give a go with this hastily relyriced song of my favourite club alongside the Gunners, West Ham United, the Academy of Football.

Let me present you I'm Forever Smiting Heathens

note: sing this song with atleast three slightly drunken mates (your hands would be preferably on each other's shoulders) with all the power of your lungs as out-of-synch as possible. Wearing West Ham related merchandise is optional.

I'm forever smiting heathens
Muslim heathens of the east
They have the place
Holy to Christian faith
That's why I lead
Army full of zeal
Crusader's always fightning
Muslims don't resist dare

This is the time
For the big fight
Kill the Muslim beast
Then we can feast
We have almost reached there
The city of Jerusalem

The city is mine
Dead is the swine
The muslims've lost hope
When here arrives the Pope
Christians rule Promised Land
Which is mostly desert

Now if you excuse me, I have a West Ham season at Football Manager 08 to continue. This far I have surprised everyone, being expected to finish 15th. Well, I am currently 6th 5 more games to go until the end of season with a team capable of challenging even the best teams with less than average material at my disposal (though very promising, I have three young players of world class potential in my ranks, one of them already in my starting eleven) But afterall, a good team is more than the sum of it's components. I certainly showed that when I dropped Arsenal from the FA Cup, only to be drawn against Chelsea and slightly losing a surprisingly even game 2-1.

Is this part of the competition considered the same level as the one in the HoI section? If yes, then the following will be a non-competition entry. If no, I might as well get your judgment :)

The song

[two voices speaking]

“It’s a little known fact, but they actually had songs that they sang during the Crusades.”
“You mean, like, chants and such?”
“Oh no, real songs, uplifting and inspiring. We use the tune for one of those here. Now quick, let’s sing along.”

[they start singing very poorly]

Crusade
It’s a great big war
You can fight Islam
And beat Muhammad
Or clash with Thor

We’re talking

Crusade
It’s a crazy fight
Heed the Papal call
Join the bloody ball
You know that it’s right

There’s Richard Lionheart and Louis
And Phillip the First
Watch out
For the
Mu-mu-mu-mu-mu-mu-slims

And again it’s

Crusade
It’s a long long trip
You can travel East
And fight the beasts
You just need a ship

This is a

Crusade
Such a journey long
But we’ll win the day
And come back from fray
Alive and strong

There’s Sigurd of Norway and Conrad
And Bernard the Saint
Watch out
For the
Mu-mu-mu-mu-mu-mu-slims

[the music and appalling singing fades, a new episode of “Crusade CK-1” begins]

This is the same level as HoI, so a competitor is only in one forum. Though you passed in HoI so that sholdn't be any issue ;)

I'll not do any neat analysis, but it was neat. The tune was, ehm interesting. (I know nothin about stargate, so was that really official lyrics? :p) That you had to restart was a bit of a confusoin though. The lyrics was slightly more serious than what mood the singing of the other lyrics gave to the thing.

Thanks for the comments :) I know that it might be strange having to restart, but the tune is quite easy, so it shouldn't be difficult. The lyrics are semi-official - they were created and sung by the writers and the executive producer of the show in one of the DVD commentaries. The actual theme doesn't have lyrics.

Legolas: Crusade - Knowing a lot about Stargate (an avid fan of the show) this was hilarious. Ok, the singing was horrendous :D, but that aside, you were able to use it to capture what the Crusades should have been about...adventure, heh, excitement, heh...A Crusader craves not these things. :D

Snake IV said:
I want some notes about the makign of this, but I relized I hadn't made it, so if you will grayghost? :)

Well, the story behind this one was all inspired by Evil Santa. I had been following his musical AAR's for awhile, especially his CK one, and was really enjoying them. I had also always been a person to relyric songs to fit my life situations. Of course few people ever heard them but myself and a few select friends. So, anywho, ES went on vacation for awhile and someone suggested (dont remember who) that readers should post songs while he was away, just to have some fun. Well, nobody really did it, but it got me thinking, and the song "And she was" popped in my head, and the the title "And he was" popped in my head, and it was all downhill from there. So I sent the song to ES in a pm just to get his opinion on it. He said he liked it....and then asked me never to get into musical AAR's. I promised I wouldn't.;) And I have kept it until now. Sorry ES. :D