Paradox Partners with Matt "Shroomblaze" Crux for new DLC

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MalinS

Queen of Pie
6 Badges
Jan 7, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
CS_ArtDeco-Launcher-Banner.png

STOCKHOLM - August 24, 2016 —
Paradox Interactive, a publisher that knows how to commune with its community, today announced the first downloadable content (DLC) for Cities: Skylines to feature creations from one of the game’s talented modders. The best-selling city-building game Cities: Skylines has been modified and built upon by aspiring architects, artists, and designers worldwide since its launch in 2015, with over 90,000 pieces of community-created content now available on Steam Workshop. Paradox will soon publish its first official DLC featuring exclusively assets created by a community contributor, and share the benefits from the pack’s sales with the content creator.

The first pack, titled “Content Creator Pack: Art Deco,” will include a selection of Deco-inspired buildings from community creator Matt “Shroomblaze” Crux. These buildings are new and original creations created by Crux, exclusive to the Art Deco pack, and Crux will receive a share of revenue from their sale in addition to an initial payment from Paradox to cover the cost of production. Other community creators will be highlighted in upcoming packs planned for the near future.

“After over 3,400 hours in Cities: Skylines, it’s wonderful to have my own buildings become part of the game’s landscape,” said Matt Crux, the modder behind the Art Deco pack. “Because the Art Deco era is so highly regarded as one of the best building styles of history, I think it needs to be represented as such. I made the suggestion to Paradox Interactive and they allowed me to come up with the buildings of my choice. I’m eager to see what the rest of the community thinks of them.”

Content Creator Pack: Art Deco will be available for Cities: Skylines players next week for $4.99 . For more information on Cities: Skylines, please visit www.citiesskylines.com/.

Examples of some of the buildings releasing next week:

chirpcinema_1.png

house1_2.png

pinoast_2.png

Reactions:
Wonderful.:D

Reactions:
Didn't see this coming. :eek: This seems really interesting.
Lots of questions just came to my mind, here's some:
  • Has the performance impact been tested by Paradox?
  • How often will we see these packs? (I mean, will these be quite rare, so that it's worth getting all of them or will there eventually be a catalog of packs?)
  • How big share from the revenue actually goes to the creator?
  • What about if the amount of free content drops because everyone tries to partner with you?
PS. You always have those construction cranes on your press material. I would like to see them in game as well. Maybe improve the construction system a bit? ;)

Reactions:
Reactions:
Imagine that! You picked up on my favorite content author. Thanks for following me so closely.

:D

Reactions:
Fantastic news- there are so many excellent modders creating ssome amazing content. This is an excellent initiative that officially recognizes the skills and creative talent that exists in our community. The focused themed asset packs is a superb way to apply that talent. Art Deco is a fantastic historical architectural style with which to launch the series. 10/10 to CO

Reactions:
Good on ya Matt! Congratulations to you and kudos to Paradox for recognising and rewarding the modding community.
However, this is probably the only DLC I will not be purchasing. I might be alone here, but I have never liked Matt's stuff. I don't subscribe to anything he makes and the samples above don't tickle me either.
But I'm sure there are many who do and it's a very positive move indeed.
(Now if it had been Drosovila's work, I'd slap $10 down in a heartbeat lol)

Reactions:
I like this idea! It's always better to have mods and custom buildings as part of the official game so we know it is quality tested and will be updated along with updates.

I will buy this, however, I think the amount of buildings are a little too low. We will barely be able to make a small quarter with these buildings until repetition becomes unbearable.

Will more buildings be added to the set in the future? Will it be easy for other modders to add buildings to the set on the workshop?

One thing I don't like with the workshop are that it seems hard to attach buildings to existing themes. As far as I know it has to be done manually. Will it be possible to just click "Subscribe" on new custom content that fits the Art Deco-theme and they will be attached without me having to do anything else in-game?

Reactions:
Great initiative CO, to recognise the mod community like this.
The style of buildings in this DLC are not really my thing however.

If you were to properly integrate the Network Extensions Project and Traffic ++ into the game though, that is something I would be very excited about.

Reactions:
If you were to properly integrate the Network Extensions Project and Traffic ++ into the game though, that is something I would be very excited about.
No,no,no,no,no... they're both bloatware and Traffic++ is long out of date and obsolete. This is about extra purchasable content in the form of assets, not mods.

Reactions:
I never used T++ or Tmanager... I really enjoy that traffic challenge in-game. :)

and they already explained things about.

Reactions:
I used T++ and Tmanager for a short spell just to see what it was all about and they were really good, but I also prefer the traffic challenge plus watching the vehicles defy the laws of physics to get back on the new roads is often hilarious. ;)

How is Network Extensions bloatware?o_O
Sorry, perhaps it was unfair to label NEP as bloatware at the moment, whereas Traffic++ certainly was.
In addition to it's own collection of road types it also cannibalises parts of the defunct Traffic++ content too.
Fortunately, it restricts itself to road types and doesn't attempt the grab-all functions that Traffic++ tried to do.
However, it is a 77MB mod at the moment and as soon as it merges with TAM, then it will part of the most bloated mod we've yet seen.

Reactions: